• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

MrDaravon

yeah you can copy the files directly to the new SD card

But not via the 3DS, I'd need to use a PC or whatever right? With a very few VC exceptions storage on the Wii/DS/3DS has been a complete non-issue for me, so I don't even know how this works.

zroid

Banned
But not via the 3DS, I'd need to use a PC or whatever right? With a very few VC exceptions storage on the Wii/DS/3DS has been a complete non-issue for me, so I don't even know how this works.

yep, using a PC as the conduit would certainly do the trick

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey, weren't you guys saying something about only being able to turn the trigger chimes on/off? There's clearly an option to change their volume?

I just dropped it to the lowest setting.

Yeah, I saw that too. Wonder how people missed it.

ryushe

It's insane to think that this game was made and even localized, let alone that it's actually pretty darn good and is maybe the best thing Final Fantasy related I've played in a while. Like, I don't even know what to believe in anymore.

Also, I am so happy that I can play this game perfectly with my thumbnail. I honestly hate using the 3/DSs stylus for an extended period of time, especially for gameplay purposes.

aett

I picked up the last copy at the Target down the street from my office during my lunch break. Unfortunately, today was the one day that I had to take a half-lunch, so I haven't been able to check out the game yet, and then I'm busy at home until my toddler goes to sleep. But I'll play it tonight, dammit!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, in the Chaos Shrine tutorial, they said you get crystal shards from completing the final boss of a dark note. Does this hold true for beating bosses in story mode?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was the stylus really a preorder bonus, or was it a first print bonus? I didn't preorder mine and the stylus was in the box...

Er, also can't wait to get started on this.

zroid

Banned
Was the stylus really a preorder bonus, or was it a first print bonus? I didn't preorder mine and the stylus was in the box...

Er, also can't wait to get started on this.

It's supposed to have been a first print bonus, I think, but inexplicably some copies don't have them.

I think the vast majority do, though.

Munkyspace

As a "gamer", I have nothing but disregard for rythym games. They strike me as shallow, gimmicky, boring affairs that don't really do much to break out of the Tap Tap Revenge genre of low budget musical whack-a-mole. If I were personally given a choice to totally eradicate an entire genre from video gamedom, it would be rythym games without a second thought.

That being said, I bought Theatrythym yesterday and fiddled around with it for a combined 6 or 7 hours between today and yesterday.

9/10, solid. Absolutely not what I was expecting. The nostalgia factor alone makes this my #1 title so far this year.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's made me a believer in rythym games in general, but I will say that I'm extremely glad I put personal bias aside and took the chance to pick it up.

Teknoman

Honestly I might have more fun with this than Dissidia. Dissidia was an excellent idea, but the system seemed to be abit more complicated/have too many extra features than necessary.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's supposed to have been a first print bonus, I think, but inexplicably some copies don't have them.

I think the vast majority do, though.
Ah, thanks. I kept seeing articles saying that it's a preorder bonus. I thought Toys R Us made an odd mistake. I like the stylus since it has a nice grip. Time to add the livret d'instructions to the French manual box.

I can't see 3D well, but the prologue bit is really nice. This bit has arranged music, which is a surprise.

As a "gamer", I have nothing but disregard for rythym games. They strike me as shallow, gimmicky, boring affairs that don't really do much to break out of the Tap Tap Revenge genre of low budget musical whack-a-mole. If I were personally given a choice to totally eradicate an entire genre from video gamedom, it would be rythym games without a second thought.

That being said, I bought Theatrythym yesterday and fiddled around with it for a combined 6 or 7 hours between today and yesterday.

9/10, solid. Absolutely not what I was expecting. The nostalgia factor alone makes this my #1 title so far this year.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's made me a believer in rythym games in general, but I will say that I'm extremely glad I put personal bias aside and took the chance to pick it up.

Good to hear you're enjoying the game, but everything else you said is terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Only 2 more hours until I can enjoy this game. Can't wait.

MrDaravon

In Battle music levels I'm assuming you have the chance for items to drop when you defeat enemies, but does defeating enemies actually increase your score? Like say if you so a level with 4 level 1 characters flawlessly but because you're so weak you only kill 2 enemies, do that actually impact your score?

thetrin

I love that when Shantotto levels up, she shouts "I'm so evil!"

I booted up the game, did the tutorial, and immediately went to Final Fantasy IX. I felt like a kid again, haha. I love this game so far.

thetrin

Can I skip the VII, VIII, X, XI, XII and XIII stages or is it required to play everything to progress?

Why would you want to skip those? The music is fantastic.

Munkyspace

Good to hear you're enjoying the game, but everything else you said is terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Terrible, yes. Thirty lashes nightly with a fistful of USB cables.

Ok, back to spamming Terra's Theme on Ultimate.

EDIT: On a side note, does anyone remember Terra's Theme on the Kefka's Domain soundtrack not being the song they labeled as such in Theatrythym? Coulda sworn Terra's actual theme started right out with flutes or some such and was much more tragic and wistful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Started the FFVII course, and started tearing up a little, heh.

Munkyface said:
EDIT: On a side note, does anyone remember Terra's Theme on the Kefka's Domain soundtrack not being the song they labeled as such in the game? Coulda sworn Terra's actual theme started right out with flutes or some such and being much more tragic and wistful.
Haven't done the FFVI one, but Terra's Theme starts off with a small interlude. Edit: Kefka's Domain was the name of the soundtrack when they published it in NA, but I expect that the soundtrack would be identical to the Japanese release. Reading up on it, yes, it's identical, but track names are a little different.

As a fan of both FF music and Rhythm games I absolutely cannot recommend this game enough. The unlockable fiend in me is especially happy. The stylus that came with the Amazon pre-order is really nice, I like it much better than the stock 3DS stylus.

My one regret over getting a review copy: no pre-order/first print stylus. My fingers keep slipping on the 3DS' stock stylus, and the thing is too small to begin with, anyway. I'm pretty good at the game as it is, but I'd love to see how much better I could be if I had that nice, gripped stylus.

Especially those? Guess I need to start listening to those soundtracks. I've written off anything not by uematsu

I personally think Uematsu did a good job making music with limited hardware, but isn't particularly notable when hardware limitations were no longer a factor. XIII's soundtrack in particular is probably my favorite series-wide.

Munkyspace

Started the FFVII course, and started tearing up a little, heh.

Haven't done the FFVI one, but Terra's Theme starts off with a small interlude. Edit: Kefka's Domain was the name of the soundtrack when they published it in NA, but I expect that the soundtrack would be identical to the Japanese release. Reading up on it, yes, it's identical, but track names are a little different.

Groovy. I was thinking of Disc 2 / Track 1 called "Terra".

Thanks for the info!

Famassu

Especially those? Guess I need to start listening to those soundtracks. I've written off anything not by uematsu
Yes.

Hamauzu's work in X overshadows Uematsu's work in that game and he does an even better job with FFXIII (& some of his stuff in XIII-2).

The FFXII OST contains several of my favorite compositions from both Hitoshi Sakimoto himself as well as the FF series.

And Mizuta's awesome FFXI compositions were a bit of a surprise to me since I had originally kind of written XI off as an annoying side-step in FF history and didn't really anticipate greatness in any area of it (and have only recently been proven how wrong I was)

I listen to FF music on a regular basis without much of a reaction evoked in me and yet... playing this and hearing the tracks just tickles my nostalgia bone in ways I can't even describe.

Finally have the game after a couple of failed attempts. K-Mart didn't have any and neither did Wal-mart. Went to Gamestop and it looked like they only had two copies. Didn't think it would be such a hassle since it was a Final Fantasy branded game, but it looks like S-E is making cautious shipments, at least to the area I live in.

Just got through the tutorial stuff and played through FF1 songs. Pretty fun so far, but can't wait to unlock more songs to freely play them.

Why would you want to skip those? The music is fantastic.
Eh, I don't agree in the slightest, but that's not this thread. :)

I guess I'll just trudge through the stuff I don't like and pad my song collection up with the classic games DLCs later on.

I personally think Uematsu did a good job making music with limited hardware, but isn't particularly notable when hardware limitations were no longer a factor.
False. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are the man's greatest achievements.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm gonna play FFIX and FFX's stuff with my brother in tow. He may not be able to hear the music, but he used to watch me play those games all the time when they were released. It's just that he can't feel the vibrations unless I let him hold the 3DS's speakers, which might be a finicky sort of affair, lol.

I really wish people would give the non-Uematsu stuff a chance. Some of that stuff is better-composed and is more experimental with regards to some musical genres included on those soundtracks... not to say that Uematsu didn't experiment with different genres because he did--imo, Lost Odyssey and FFVI are his greatest works. There's a sort of elegance for the later soundtracks because they have better sound samples/are orchestrated.

Top Bottom