• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no fix for Intel’s crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs — any damage is permanent

Draugoth

Gold Member
intel_13900k_tomwarren__2_.jpg

Source

Citing unnamed sources, Tom’s Hardware reports that any degradation of the processor is irreversible, and an Intel spokesperson did not deny that when we asked. Intel is “confident” the patch will keep it from happening in the first place. (As another preventative measure, you should update your BIOS ASAP.) But if your defective CPU has been damaged, your best option is to replace it instead of tweaking BIOS settings to try and alleviate the problems.

And, Intel confirms, too-high voltages aren’t the only reason some of these chips are failing. Intel spokesperson Thomas Hannaford confirms it’s a primary cause, but the company is still investigating. Intel community manager Lex Hoyos also revealed some instability reports can be traced back to an oxidization manufacturing issue that was fixed at an unspecified date last year.

Tsaki

Does 13600k kept at stock freq suffer from this aswell?
Most likely, yes
"The elevated voltages could potentially affect any 13th or 14th Gen desktop processor that consumes 65W or more power"
Intel chips chug a lot of power.

Obviously not true, but the tinfoil-hatter in me would say that AMD just did a "fake" recall to show that, contrary to Intel, they don't mind doing things the right way.
With Arrow Lake-S having degraded clock speeds (5.7GHz max), it seems like a slam dunk year for Team Red.

nkarafo

Are there any downside to Ryzen cpus? From what I read, they seem more powerful+reliable.
Not sure but i heard they have higher power consumption when th PC is idle. Which is why i hesitate getting an AMD CPU since 90% of the time my PC is on idle or doing very light work with it.

Romulus

Not sure but i heard they have higher power consumption when th PC is idle. Which is why i hesitate getting an AMD CPU since 90% of the time my PC is on idle or doing very light work with it.

I have a 13 gen I7 in a 4080 laptop. I notice with gpu intensive games it matches my 4070ti desktop, but that cpu has slower performance against the 11th gen I7 in the desktop. Some of that is inherently due to being mobile of course. But the gpu seems pretty impressive for such a small package, even after hours of gaming. Cpu temps are almost always 10% hotter regardless of the game. Maybe I should just go with a newer Intel for my next laptop.

Last edited:

winjer

nkarafo

These numbers all seem extremely high, other than the first two entries. My current i5 4670 idles at 10w according to HWiNFO. You are telling me that any equivalent modern CPU i get will be 6x times that at least?

Edit: Oh i just noticed these are full system numbers. But i'm interested about the CPU only here.

Last edited:

winjer

These numbers all seem extremely high, other than the first two entries. My current i5 4670 idles at 10w according to HWiNFO. You are telling me that any equivalent modern CPU i get will be 6x times that at least?

Yes. Modern CPUs have uncores that are much more complicated.
AMD has its Infinity Fabric and Intel has its ring bus.

But also consider that those values are for the whole system at idle. The CPU package alone should be around20-30W.

nkarafo

But also consider that those values are for the whole system at idle. The CPU package alone should be around20-30W.
I am talking about the CPU only. 30W is way too high. Modern intel i5 CPUs seem to be around 10W still.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Someone explain I have a i7 14700k and it gets stupidly hot, was constantly in overclock mode until I turned it off in BIOS and it improved but still, way to hot for what it should be doing

winjer

Someone explain I have a i7 14700k and it gets stupidly hot, was constantly in overclock mode until I turned it off in BIOS and it improved but still, way to hot for what it should be doing

Did you update the uefi recently.
Last month, Intel released an uefi that reduces power limits.

winjer

What does that mean? Where can i find the value?

Use HWInfo, it shows everything on your PC.
But consider that your 4000 series CPU has a much simpler uncore. So its PPT should be lower.

PPT is package power. It includes the whole chip. Not just the CPU cores.

Last edited:

winjer

But it seems to me they don't. 12th gen i5 CPUs are also at around 10W, from the few reddit posts i found.

That is probably for the cores alone.
The value I found for the PPT is 20W.
And the review from Guru3d substantiates that.

winjer

It's official, Intel will not issue a recall for its failing 13th and 14th gen CPUs, despite the problem being much bigger than initially thought. The company was approached by The Verge and the answers to the questions asked, are not looking great. First of all, it appears that at least all 65 W or higher base power Intel 13th and 14th gen CPUs are affected—regardless of SKU and lettering—by the so-called elevated Voltage issue. To be clear, it doesn't mean all these CPUs will start to fail and Intel claims that its microcode update will solve the issue for CPUs that haven't shown any signs of stability issues. However, Intel is not promising that the microcode update will solve the stability issues of CPUs that are experiencing problems, but rather state that "It is possible the patch will provide some instability improvements", but it's asking those with stability issues to contact customer support. The patch is on the other hand expected to solve it for new CPUs, but that doesn't help those that are already experiencing stability issues.

Intel does appear to be swapping out degraded chips, but there's no guarantee that the replacement CPUs will come with the microcode update installed, as Intel is only starting to apply it to products that are currently being produced. The company has also asked all of its OEM partners to apply the update before shipping out new products, but this isn't likely to happen until sometime in early to mid-August according to Intel. It's also unclear when BIOS/UEFI updates will be available for end users from the motherboard manufacturers, since this is the only way to install the microcode update as a consumer. Intel has not gone on record to say if it'll extend the warranty of the affected products, nor did the company provide any details about what kind of information consumers have to provide to their customer support to be able to RMA a faulty CPU. Intel will not halt sales of the affected CPUs either, which means that if you're planning to or are in the middle of building a system using said CPUs, you might want to wait with using it, until a BIOS/UEFI with the microcode update in it, is available for your motherboard. There are more details over at The Verge for those that want to read the full questions and answers, but it's clear that Intel isn't considering the issue as anything more than a regular support issue at this point in time.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

This they do take some more power, special windows power plan and app for the cpu is needed or there would be issues

I regret getting a ryzen 3600 (I know a few gens old now) everyone on YouTube recommended the chip and on here. I was Intel person (outside of Athlon 2 xp and Athlon 64 back in the day), as Intel had been flawless for me.

My ryzen chip causes bsod crashes every other day. Mem and drivers checked, all dump files reveal possible vague cpu issues. Thing is it only crashes during idle or browsing, not during games or usage apparently it could be a sign of a bad core which from a few articles was common on first run zen 2 chips.

I compare my gaming rig to my work laptops over years (currently 11th Gen i7) which chugs with tons of windows applications and things running say after day with zero crashes.

All I know is next time I'm going to look into it more and not rely on opinions from fanboys in disguise or payed off YouTube reviewers who have a clear bias or sponsorship. Until then will have to deal with the once every few days bsod.

manfestival

Glad I got the deal on my system that I did but this intel issue is such a pain in the balls. I experience this issue here and there but the firmware update did mitigate some of that for me. Still really annoying. Sucks extra hard that I did buy my premium system second hand but it has been beastly and the experience I have wanted for the most part

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
As long as affected units can be RMA'd, I don't see the issue.

Have had my 13600K for almost 2 years with no issues. Hopefully it doesn't give me an excuse to upgrade because at least for gaming it holds too well. I'd like to keep it at least 2 more years.
Same here, mine is overclocked as well. Glad that the 13600K doesn't seem to be having many issues. I'll probably still upgrade this Fall though since I always like having the new stuff. Might keep the 13600K in a secondary PC just to see if anything ever does happen to it...

winjer

Same here, mine is overclocked as well. Glad that the 13600K doesn't seem to be having many issues. I'll probably still upgrade this Fall though since I always like having the new stuff. Might keep the 13600K in a secondary PC just to see if anything ever does happen to it...

But Intel is already refusing RMAs.

There is skepticism surrounding the instability fiasco, where a report emerged a few days ago which revealed that Intel is denying RMA requests, so the situation is messed up on both sides of the supply chain.

You mean as long as the affected units will be RMA'd.

The Verge:
Given how difficult this issue was for Intel to pin down, what proof will customers need to share to obtain an RMA? (How lenient will Intel be?)
[No answer yet.]
Not to mention, Intel has already denied RMA requests for the affected CPUs.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You can try running Prime95 or Y-cruncher stress testing.
I should be fine, I had to return my computer due to a delivery mishandled and it got extensively stress tested ....(it was my gpu that sustanied damage during delivery).I should be good.......I hope

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
But Intel is already refusing RMAs.

Intel asked people who were rejected to reach out to them... get all the updated info before posting old stuff...

Additionally, if customers have experienced these instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors but had RMA [return merchandise authorization] requests rejected we ask that they reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance and remediation.

Top Bottom