• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a big downgrade - Silent Hill 2 Remake

Gonzito

Man...what is this? The camera angles are awful, Maria is so stiff in her movements and her behavior doesn't resemble her personality. And why does her voice actor sound so bored? And why is her head so big? The original Maria had wider shoulders and normal proportions, why do developers insist to make women like this in modern games?

Goddammit, I knew hiring Bloober Team to do this was a mistake

Last edited:

oom_reaper

Neo Member
why the fuck is every company trying make remakes these days? And if they decide to do a remake it is almost in every way worse than OG. If the game is not woke enough on release date, then we patch it later. I own the original ps2 version so i wont miss anything not buying this shit.

Chukhopops

It’s not that awful but lmao at the « camera pans to absolute nothing for 10 seconds before fading to white » at 6:45.

It’s interesting how the script doesn’t look different but the tone and postures describe a completely different interaction.

Erebus

I watched a playthrough of the first 15 minutes or so on IGN yesterday and was pretty excited by what I saw. But then I came across this specific comparison and started feeling concerned. I’m not sure if it’s nostalgia or just being used to the original voices, but the new Maria seems off and less attractive. James, on the other hand, isn’t too bad.

Btw, there are more of these:

Last edited:
they didn't do a good job with her ngl, also the camera zooms in or her face gave an uncanny valley gut punch
screenshot-2022-12-06-at-09.53.44.png

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
At least they fixed the voice acting.

MMaRsu

why the fuck is every company trying make remakes these days? And if they decide to do a remake it is almost in every way worse than OG. If the game is not woke enough on release date, then we patch it later. I own the original ps2 version so i wont miss anything not buying this shit.

Because it's easier to repackage some old crap and sell it for a maximum price.

And make it 'modern' while we are at it

With worse cutscene direction, worse voiceacting direction, worse models etc...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I haven't played the original and have no interest in the remake, so I don't really have a dog in this race; but going off the video in the OP, I would say the upgrade to the dude's voice acting in the remake far outweighs the downgrade to the lady's voice/appearance, like there is a massive improvement there compared to the original.

giphy.webp

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Did they?
The original had an eeriness that matched the visuals and the game's setting.
The voice acting in this remake sounds like two people in a studio, warm and comfortable, with a coffee mug on their hands.

It was always horrible, same with some of the translation. Bad doesn't mean eerie, it's just bad. At the same time, it's part of what makes it a cult classic, warts and all.

It's why I've been saying this remake is almost pointless. The diehards that love the original are going to hate any and all changes, and newcomers will probably wonder what all the big fuss was about after they finish this version of it, because they're not experiencing something made in that weird PS2 era. This is just digging up the corpse of a beloved games and putting it on strings.

YuLY

It's just a different direction to the original.
they are even doing subtle changes, not just camera angle, if you look at the video, in the og she takes his hand and puts it on her chest to show him playfully that she is...warm. In the remake SHE puts her hand on his chest but barely touches it as he back away. Ruins the entire mood of the moment, Maria is supposed to be like an eerie seductress here...

These new age woke fuck developers are ruining everything. If you think those scenes are almost the same, you are already brainwashed and lost.

"Oh man, the term "woke" is so used for everything these days", well yeah maybe cause these activists keep pushing it in every form of entertainment, they are taking out anything that could have a bit of sex appeal, cause apparently we see women as objects.

If you want a remake that respects the original, it seems like Metal Gear Solid Delta is the one.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The game was fully supervised and approved by Ito.
If you want to play the original play the original.

Not to mention that this thing does not warrant its own thread given there are many other threads about the game so it's an obvious attempt to give visibility to an "opinion"explicity downplaying the game.
… and The Rings of Power was supervised by the Tolkien Estate, so? Well, we will see. This change is for the worse, maybe other balance it out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
they are even doing subtle changes, not just camera angle, if you look at the video, in the og she takes his hand and puts it on her chest to show him playfully that she is...warm. In the remake SHE puts her hand on his chest but barely touches it as he back away. Ruins the entire mood of the moment, Maria is supposed to be like an eerie seductress here...

These new age woke fuck developers are ruining everything. If you think those scenes are almost the same, you are already brainwashed and lost.
Yep, it is a non trivial change. Especially as even in the original scene Maria had full agency and control. It was her taking action and leading it.

killatopak

Gold Member
I haven't played the original and have no interest in the remake, so I don't really have a dog in this race; but going off the video in the OP, I would say the upgrade to the dude's voice acting in the remake far outweighs the downgrade to the lady's voice/appearance, like there is a massive improvement there compared to the original.

giphy.webp
I am on media blackout so I haven’t heard anything of the new stuff but SH2 voice acting has always been said to be excellent. Like it’s so bad it’s good. It suits the tone of SH and gives that unnatural feel. It’s unnerving, it’s weird.

Gonzito

giphy.webp
You haven't played the original so you don't understand the context and why these changes don't make sense. Maria is supposed to be a sexualized character because is what the main character wanted her wife to be, a more sexy and seductive woman. That's why in the original her movements and manners are so expressive and frankly quite iconic. In the remake you see none of this in her personality. It basically ruins what James has created on his mind.

I understand this is a remake and I am willing to accept changes but this shows me that the developers dont understand basic concepts of the first game

RPCGamer

"Oh man, the term "woke" is so used for everything these days", well yeah maybe cause these activists keep pushing it in every form of entertainment, they are taking out anything that could have a bit of sex appeal, cause apparently we see women as objects.

If you want a remake that respects the original, it seems like Metal Gear Solid Delta is the one.
"Woke" has now just become a term to mean "I don't like something". So please, just say you don't like it and stop using it. It's just annoying. That being said, it does seem like they have changed direction to make this a more loose interpretation of the original.

I feel like the bigger issue with this (and some other remakes) are the game(s) were originally designed with the lower polygon count in mind and look better in that aesthetic then they do when adapted to a more realistic art style. You end up losing something in the translation. That's not to say this will be bad, but I think it's best to look at many remakes as someone else's interpretation of said game. Will it be good? We'll have to see.

Last edited:

Gonzito

"Woke" has now just become a term to mean "I don't like something". So please, just say you don't like it and stop using it. It's just annoying. That being said, it does seem like they have changed direction to make this a more loose interpretation of the original.

I feel like the bigger issue with this (and some other remakes) are the game(s) were originally designed with the lower polygon count in mind and look better in that aesthetic then they do when adapted to a more realistic art style.
Classic gaslighting. Woke is a real thing my friend, and we are very tired of activists in this industry ruining videogames

Last edited:
Top Bottom