• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a big downgrade - Silent Hill 2 Remake

Why are the characters heads always so disproportioned in modern titles? It can work in games with a more 'cartoon' like art direction but it just looks silly to me in a game like this...

Whats Up Ok GIF by Film Riot

Skitso

Never played the original (despite being 45 years old) and waiting to play this eagerly. Watching this without nostalgia I just can't see the remake being worse in any way (other then the huge head). Original voice acting is cringe as fuck and read straight from a paper with no feeling. It's just so stiff, while the remake, they feel and sound like real persons.

Dunno, everything I've seen has been amazing and I'm actually quite hyped.

Nickolaidas

You haven't played the original so you don't understand the context and why these changes don't make sense. Maria is supposed to be a sexualized character because is what the main character wanted her wife to be, a more sexy and seductive woman. That's why in the original her movements and manners are so expressive and frankly quite iconic. In the remake you see none of this in her personality. It basically ruins what James has created on his mind.

I understand this is a remake and I am willing to accept changes but this shows me that the developers dont understand basic concepts of the first game
Respectfully disagree.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The only issue I have so far was when I saw Maria's introduction:
Instead of pulling his hand up to her chest, above her bust, mind you? And stating "See? Feel how warm I am?" She grabs his hand and he pulls away. THAT takes away from her Original Character and while not absolutely certain, it could have been changed for "modern audiences" but, maybe I am just digging?

Senua

Gold Member
Dawg, don't be weird.

kXUokvdnVpj30vvnI0D4Gz7sxHce6NMyCI9KWq1WFto975-W8EGkRYu5nEmounRl1MkP1j89nrldqRxe_QYEFqq_hcKKdEHEhPihSp52y-tZy6tvZBIV4v_8pMGtk7KAP7FzNV-Iu6CkEK0mqnn5VqP5Mp5kK6C_WcA

It looks fine. Also, the original release is not gonna disappear. Play that one instead with the PC fixes.

While true we'll always have the perfect original, there's nothing wrong with wanting the remake to be a certain way, and airing disappointment at the changes they've made. Best to wait til it's in our hands though of course

Nickolaidas

I don't know how anyone can defend this

Female faces look bad, ngl. But the VA is solid, the music respects the original and some camera angles are good.

While I beat the game 20 years ago, I am not emotionally invested enough to the point of puking over every single change.

If the ladies were a little prettier, I wouldn't find any real fault in the cutscenes.

Gonzito

Female faces look bad, ngl. But the VA is solid, the music respects the original and some camera angles are good.

While I beat the game 20 years ago, I am not emotionally invested enough to the point of puking over every single change.

If the ladies were a little prettier, I wouldn't find any real fault in the cutscenes.
My main intention with this post is not about her looking prettier or not (although I am not a big fan of her big head). Its about the acting and performance, what the character is supposed to make you feel when watching the cutscene. I feel like Bloober Team has failed to achieve that

Gonzito

“Bloober Team has hired Sweet Baby Inc 2.0 (Hit detection) a sensitive consulting company, for Silent Hill 2 Remake + ESG Konami"

Ugh 😩

Last edited:

Stu_Hart

My main intention with this post is not about her looking prettier or not (although I am not a big fan of her big head). Its about the acting and performance, what the character is supposed to make you feel when watching the cutscene. I feel like Bloober Team has failed to achieve that
Also from mr gonzito: "And why is her head so big? The original Maria had wider shoulders and normal proportions, why do developers insist to make women like this in modern games?"

Top Bottom