• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
Because no one honestly believes that, and because what he actually said garners more appproval from people who think diversity is bad

You think he actually -wants- to sound like a racist D Bag?

I think it's more of a case of being terrible at explaining your choices, but I guess that loving his cinematography makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt...

As per casting itself, you do not think it conceivable that out of say a possible 500+ audition casting (most likely in England) most of the applicants were white and all the children cast just ended up being white?
All I'm saying is that unless there is a definite will to have a diverse cast to start with (which is definitely something that could be blamed on Burton, and I think he is defending his approach of that, albeit in a very dumb way), this is the kind of casting that I can see happening and without necessarily involving malicious intent.

Because that still highlights a problem. The problem of "Why are the best/most qualified actors almost never actors of color?" And it's a problem that people with the clout of Tim Burton or Ridley Scott could help bring attention to, instead they hide behind their bullshit excuses.

Oh I absolutely agree. I'm just saying if you are going to go with a shitty answer, ranting like he did seems way worse. I agree, he really should be aiming for diversity, but I mean Johnny Depp can only do some much.

Who gives a shit?

Let him make the movie he wants with the actors he wants in it.

Outrage over nothing by the PC police yet again.

Fucking babies.

as another poster itt stated, if he just came clean and said "because i wanted all white cast", then the backlash wouldnt so be severe. mr burton is a bright man, just made a not so bright statement. we're all capable of such stupidity. no one's perfect.

Valhelm

contribute something
tim burton is such a hack

this one seems even more tired and derivative than the rest of his newer stuff

Toxi

Banned
He is saying that forced diversity for the sake of diversity is not the answer and hasn't been in the past (Brady Bunch) but is a thing now because of our over-sensitive outrage culture.
Honest question: Have you ever actually watched the Brady Bunch?

zeemumu

I feel bad for Tim; he used to be a real talent and now he makes some of the worst big-budget movies of the current century.

I mean, fuck him for this statement, but still. Must be really frustrating to watch your talent just run through your fingers like water.

His original stuff is usually good but his adaptations are usually where the problems are, Batman excluded.

My apologies for disrupting the PC circlejerk.

He is saying that forced diversity for the sake of diversity is not the answer and hasn't been in the past (Brady Bunch) but is a thing now because of our over-sensitive outrage culture.

I agree with him. I prefer to let people put actors in movies that they feel like putting in their fucking movie.

Carry on though guys, stay MAD!

You didn't need to expand. Your stupidity was already clear after your initial post.

I agree with him. I prefer to let people put actors in movies that they feel like putting in their fucking movie.

Stay racist!

I think it's more of a case of being terrible at explaining your choices, but I guess that loving his cinematography makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt...

As per casting itself, you do not think it conceivable that out of say a possible 500+ audition casting (most likely in England) most of the applicants were white and all the children cast just ended up being white?
All I'm saying is that unless there is a definite will to have a diverse cast to start with (which is definitely something that could be blamed on Burton, and I think he is defending his approach of that, albeit in a very dumb way), this is the kind of casting that I can see happening and without necessarily involving malicious intent.
half the us and uk are okay with siding with racist douchebags

Fuck you Tim Burton. Seriously. Guaranteed I won't be spending my hard earned money on watching movies. To be fair though, it won't be difficult as he lost his touch a long time ago.

I'm not sure why he couldn't say "We had a casting, we put emphasis on kids really knocking it out of the park with the role they auditioned for, and the kids who closely matched the roles just happened to be white in the end." ?

Going into the Blacksploitation and Baddy bunch stuff... yeesh. Looks pretty bad.

Still very much looking forward to the movie though.

If they had a open casting call for all ethnicities, then that would've been a good answer. And after googling, at least from what I could find the lead role of Jacob was indeed open to all ethnicities.

https://www.backstage.com/casting/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-30880/

While not ideal, wouldn't something along the lines of what they chose the actors that they did be a better answer? I mean "these were the most qualified actors" while not at all ideal seems less offensive than what he said.

That's 10 times a better answer than he gave.

As insensitive and rude the tone of this post is, this is the cold reality. We should be encouraging diversity but I don't know about shaming director's who cast all white if that's what they wanted and it wasn't white washing anything. Although we definitely should shame, mock, and make fun of terrible responses justifying their decision. LOL

This is also true, even in general there are way more White people going for these roles.

Honest question: Have you ever actually watched the Brady Bunch?

In the Brady Bunch they introduced a random Asian and Black child. It seemed forced and stupid even for the Brady Bunch. That's his analogy. He doesn't want to be forced into casting choices to satisfy racial diversity.

Do you even know what Burton is referring to?

Toxi

Banned
In the Brady Bunch they introduced a random Asian and Black child. It seemed forced and stupid even for the Brady Bunch. That's his analogy. He doesn't want to be forced into casting choices to satisfy racial diversity.

It's literally one episode in one of the blandest, sappiest, whitest shows I've ever seen.

But yes, continue complaining about forced diversity in the fucking Brady Bunch of all places.

That was...very, very ignorant.
Come on Tim...

Honestly, when it comes to calls for diversity or criticism regarding the lack of it I really wish film/game/TV directors would just be honest with us.
I'm sick of these lame excuses.
If he said something akin to "When I read the source material I imagined most of the characters as white people, and caste them as such; while I'm certainly not opposed to the concept, racial diversity just wasn't a major priority in my vision of the film and I stand by the decisions I've made.", I wouldn't have even responded to the thread.
It would have been a simple, relatable, and relatively reasonable answer imo.

Derwind

Can you take a second without projecting your issues with societies growing social awareness. No? Okay.

Anyways, speaking on the BOLDED, the issue was with his excuse, no one has ever "forced" Tim Burton to do anything, especially to approach the topic of diversity at all. Rather than saying he hadn't been bothered to think about diversity, he tries to hide behind an excuse which paints the picture of him as a victim.

If you agree with him not casting in a more diverse tone, fine, and if you think his excuse for it is a good one, again fine but don't try to dictate to others how to feel about an excuse that isnt all that compelling.

It's literally one episode in one of the blandest, sappiest, whitest shows I've ever seen.

But yes, continue complaining about forced diversity in the fucking Brady Bunch of all places.

I can't argue with you people that don't even understand the point Burton was making because you can't comprehend it.

PSqueak

Banned
I can't argue with you people that don't even understand the point Burton was making because you can't comprehend it.

You seem to be willingly ignoring all the people who called out the fact that he tried to make the tokenism argument where it didn't apply and then doubled down with the worst possible analogy ever (blaxplotation).

But yeah, pretend you're the smart one.

Nepenthe

His point is that putting in arbitrary white people is fine but putting in arbitrary black people is political correctness. It's racist, like you are.

People understand the point. The point is bullshit. Nobody is asking for "forced diversity", but if you think casting people of color is "forced diversity" than that sort of highlights the problem. Why would or should it need to be forced? You are the one seemingly too small minded to comprehend things here. Fuck off already if you have nothing but shit "I'm outraged at your outrage" type posts to add.

Look, I don't think there's anything wrong with the movie he's made in it's casting, but keep it real, that was a terrible answer he gave. C'mon, you gotta admit that.

Crocodile

*braces self for shitty answer to this sort of question* (They are pretty much always shitty)

*Reads answer*

LMFAO that's even worse than I thought it would be. Sigh.

I see this thread is filled with some of the "typical" responses too. Disappointing.

PInk Tape

Banned

We understand what he's saying loud and clear; it's you who doesn't understand where the rest of us are coming from.

Stop blaming us for not agreeing with your narrow minded opinion.

edit: lol pulling out the hivemind card

Is there even such a thing as "forced diversity"? Like as a concept

I'm leaning towards no

You're correct.

That concept was created by people who just don't want to see or cast minorities in roles other than the stereotypical ones.

PSqueak

Banned
Is there even such a thing as "forced diversity"? Like as a concept

I'm leaning towards no

Well, there was that thread about hollywood scampering to shoehorning chinese actors to court China.

And the Chinese seem unimpressed with their efforts so far.

But as defined in the tim burton quote?

I believe it has been dead since the end of the 90's, writers have gotten a bit better with dealing with diversity over the years, not ideal (ie, we still struggle to see diversity on the screen), but doesn't feel forced anymore when they actually go for it.

Except the source material isn't as white as the movie, so his argument is really fucking stupid.

You'd know that if you read the article.

At first I thought he meant, like, casting directors and such when he said "things". "Ok, that's reasonable, I guess" I naively thought "The director probably doesn't have complete control over the actor pool and who actually gets considered for the role. It sucks but that's Hollywood".

And then I read the rest. Jesus Christ, he could not have said that in a worse way short of "I don't want black or Asian kids in my movies".

He didn't say he didn't want black or Asian kids, he said he didn't want "an Asian kid or a black."

Hooooooly shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom