• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL @ his response. I don't know what people expected from an almost 60 year old White man that's been in the industry for over 30 years where all White casts are the default/standard.

All you have to do is stand by your choices. Quit making excuses, Just say I cast all the children as white because I wanted to, and the limit of expanding beyond my imagination was casting the biggest name actor who happens to be Black as the villain. LOL

The reality is he didn't even think about it because he's never thought about it before, because he's never had to or been made to think about it, it's just how it's always been. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the first time anybody asked him that question.

I ain't even mad. I want people to ask him again just so I can chuckle more at his next awkward/weird/hilarious/possibly racist response. LOL

- J - D -

image.php

What is it with frogs and racism now?

#NotAllFrogs

Fury451

Banned
You know things are bad when you read something and go "Whoa I don't think even Trump would've said that".

Should've just kept his mouth shut, this is an atrocious response

LaNaranja

Huh. I was going to take my brother to go watch the movie this weekend too. Welp, dude can fuck right off. He won't see a dime of my money, and given this statement he probably doesn't want it anyway.

TheFlow

Banned
wait I thought the characters were all white to begin. didn't know they are diverse in the book. gotta do some research

New002

Jesus. I mean, I came in expecting some shitty response from Burton just given the thread title, but that was something else.

Who gives a shit?

Let him make the movie he wants with the actors he wants in it.

Outrage over nothing by the PC police yet again.

Fucking babies.

bunbun777

I watched the shit out of Brady bunch when I was a kid on syndicated tv, to the point of seeing episodes multiple times, so sorry Tim but I can't sympathise with your weak ass response because I guess I was sheltered from the injustice you had to witness.

( as in I have no idea what he's talking about guess they never showed the final episodes )

Elandyll

Banned
I'm not sure why he couldn't say "We had a casting, we put emphasis on kids really knocking it out of the park with the role they auditioned for, and the kids who closely matched the roles just happened to be white in the end." ?

Going into the Blacksploitation and Baddy bunch stuff... yeesh. Looks pretty bad.

Still very much looking forward to the movie though.

While not ideal, wouldn't something along the lines of what they chose the actors that they did be a better answer? I mean "these were the most qualified actors" while not at all ideal seems less offensive than what he said.

I'm not sure why he couldn't say "We had a casting, we put emphasis on kids really knocking it out of the park with the role they auditioned for, and the kids who closely matched the roles just happened to be white in the end

Because no one honestly believes that, and because what he actually said garners more appproval from people who think diversity is bad

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Who gives a shit?

Fucking babies.

More like outrage over a really terrible answer to a pretty simple question.

I mean it's not like I was going to see the movie anyway, the guy hasn't directed anything good since 1990. But it's always sad to see someone who has never even given a moment's thought to the subject.

LOL @ his response. I don't know what people expected from an almost 60 year old White man that's been in the industry for over 30 years where all White casts are the default/standard.

All you have to do is stand by your choices. Quit making excuses, Just say I cast all the children as white because I wanted to, and the limit of expanding beyond my imagination was casting the biggest name actor who happens to be Black as the villain. LOL

The reality is he didn't even think about it because he's never thought about it before, because he's never had to or been made to think about it, it's just how it's always been. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the first time anybody asked him that question.

I ain't even mad. I want people to ask him again just so I can chuckle more at his next awkward/weird/hilarious/possibly racist response. LOL

An artist on this industry being so completely out of touch with the changes in society is kinda sad i think. Also, such a fucking bad message to go and just say, it's almost as he thoughts all this stuff is irrelevant...

Absolutely horrible answer.

For fans of Ransom Riggs' 2011 bestseller Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, one of the things that made the news of its big-screen adaptation so intriguing was imagining which actors would make up the ensemble. The book features a large cast of characters, from the eponymous children to the many adults who throw them into peril. The idea of seeing them portrayed on-screen thrilled readers of Riggs' book hoping to see a diverse group of actors take on the challenge. Yet in reality, the few dozen characters that make up the movie version of Miss Peregrine's are predominantly white, with Samuel L. Jackson's Barron being the only notable exception. Sitting down at New York's McKittrick Hotel to discuss the film, director Tim Burton tells me why that's the case.

Was that really something people were talking about?

While not ideal, wouldn't something along the lines of what they chose the actors that they did be a better answer? I mean "these were the most qualified actors" while not at all ideal seems less offensive than what he said.

Because that still highlights a problem. The problem of "Why are the best/most qualified actors almost never actors of color?" And it's a problem that people with the clout of Tim Burton or Ridley Scott could help bring attention to, instead they hide behind their bullshit excuses.

LOL no they wouldn't, your own reply doesn't even disagree with the notion that blaxploitation wasn't cultural tokenism. Of course it's a part of history, nobody is denying it took place, nor that it ingrained a cultural identity for black people to wider america.

It's about as legitimate as birth of a nation. The original one. Yes, that's legitimate film too. But it's not something to be celebrated. blaxploitation is ripe for homage, as basically nothing is off limits in post-modernism. And it has an obvious cultural cachet. But blaxploitation is not something to be celebrated at face value, and certainly not in the ways Tim Burton is doing so. You shouldn't be looking at blaxploitation for social diversity cues.

I think you have an incredibly simplistic view of Blaxploitation films. Did most of them reinforce negative stereotypes? Sure. Did all of them have Black protagonists that were empowered, showcase their talents, show strength, and had agency? Yes too. A lot of them also had social commentary, fought against racial injustice, and some even had themes of feminism. It also highlighted Black urban culture from the fashion, lingo, to the soul and funk music in their scores which are now classic soundtracks. It's more complicated than you're acknowledging.

So Blaxploitation as a whole has a lot of problematic elements, but it's completely reductionist if you believe there weren't also a lot of elements of artistry and merit either.

Derwind

Who gives a shit?

Fucking babies.

Good thing you're here to defend Burtons honor. I can't begin to imagine what would have gone down had you not come and set everyone straight.

Shut it down folks, nothing to see here.

/s

Seriously though, this type of shit post is becoming waaaay too predominant, if the entire substance of your post is just "Stop being outraged" you're going to have a hard time to get anyone to take you seriously.

Good thing you're here to defend Burtons honor. I can't begin to imagine what would have gone down had you not come and set everyone straight.

Shut it down folks, nothing to see here.

/s

Seriously though, this type of shit post is becoming waaaay too predominant, if the entire substance of your post is just "Stop being outraged" you're going to have a hard time to get anyone to take you seriously.

My apologies for disrupting the PC circlejerk.

He is saying that forced diversity for the sake of diversity is not the answer and hasn't been in the past (Brady Bunch) but is a thing now because of our over-sensitive outrage culture.

I agree with him. I prefer to let people put actors in movies that they feel like putting in their fucking movie.

Carry on though guys, stay MAD!

Because that still highlights a problem. The problem of "Why are the best/most qualified actors almost never actors of color?" And it's a problem that people with the clout of Tim Burton or Ridley Scott could help bring attention to, instead they hide behind their bullshit excuses.

This seems to be the intention behind these questions.

Its designed specifically so that the answer requires a promise to hire more diverse actors. Every other answer sounds insensitive. Its pretty loaded.

The issue is does every movie need a diverse cast? I think overall yes, we need more. But is every movie going to get asked this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom