• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

When I clicked on this thread I was thinking to myself "I didn't even notice most of the cast other than Samuel L Jackson is white. I wonder what fictional plot excuse Tim Burton will give for the casting decisions?". I definitely wasn't expecting a response so "blatant" and lazy.

Nepenthe

And I'm done. If you think this was his point then I don't know what to say.

Stay mad hivemind.

I'm not actually mad. I'm laughing and joking with my friend because of the shitstorm about to ensue on Burton's ass.

Meanwhile, you're the one who came in the thread and called us all "fucking babies" and part of a hivemind because you've failed spectacularly to see you're offended as well, offended that this poor, oppressed victim with millions of dollars and no fucks to give to you for your desperate white knighting is getting online blowback for some ignorant remarks he is fully responsible for. And of course, you're not explaining the point. We're just all magically missing this salient point that you in all of your wisdom have managed to glean and simultaneously failed to elaborate on this entire time. Textbook shitposting.

So if you're not going to drop the attitude and terrible contributions, at least drop the projection of your own anger. Or leave and burn your account; like Burton, I don't give a shit.

Breads

Banned
Who gives a shit?

Let him make the movie he wants with the actors he wants in it.

Outrage over nothing by the PC police yet again.

Fucking babies.

I give a shit.

He can make any movie he wants just as readily as we are willing to criticism him for it.

Not sure why this offends you so much.

Oh what it must be like to be so privileged that you never have to fight to be on equal footing.

Toxi

Banned
I just realized that Yodathesoda thinks it's random that a black kid and an Asian kid adopted by a white family would show up in a white suburb in one episode of a 117 episode long show.

LOL I somehow found someone whose perspective of the world is more white than the fucking Brady Bunch.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That's a shitty response.

I just don't get it. With so much diversity in the world, why continue to do the same old thing time and time again? Why not spice up your cast? Smh.

Derwind

Is there even such a thing as "forced diversity"? Like as a concept

I'm leaning towards no

Forced casting is not really a thing for a director that's been in the business for 30+ years.

There are contracts/lawyers in place to stop that nonsense.

The issue is that if/when the ticket sales projection drops, they want to have a scapegoat(PC Culture, BLM...ect) to blame, rather than blaming the free market or their own inability to take constructive criticism.

People usually crying about censorship are just upset the free-market isn't always on their side.

USC-fan

Banned
Its funny the only person i knew was in this movie was Samuel L Jackson.

These type of threads always get heated on gaf.

I'd be surprised if this gets any traction at all.

Hollywood doesn't give a shit about diversity. They care about selling tickets.

There are pedophile directors out there who still get honored by all the Hollywood Elites.

Its funny the only person i knew was in this movie was Samuel L Jackson.

These type of threads always get heated on gaf.

It was literally only one poster who was heated calling everybody fucking babies for even talking about this on an online forum within a thread specifically made for that purpose.

Socreges

Banned
I just realized that Yoda thinks it's random that a black kid and an Asian kid adopted by a white family would show up in a white suburb in one episode of a 117 episode long show.

LOL I somehow found someone whose perspective of the world is more white than the fucking Brady Bunch.
Random in the sense that, since the show was so intensely white, you immediately knew that the moment minorities showed up it had to be the result of PC meddling. I see his point. It was random. But...that's progress. And important. You have an incredibly popular TV show broadcast nationwide that's unrepresentative of the country's realities. The alternative is that it remains that way always for the sake of creative purity.

There is so much wrong with Burton's quote otherwise, too. It clearly comes from a place of isolation and ignorance.

kswiston

I know nothing about these books or the movie outside of seeing a poster or two. I thought it might have been a period film (like sleepy hollow or some of his other films), and that was going to be his angle. Instead we got diet racism.

I knew Tim Burton's movies were melanin deficient..but his response is disgusting.

Also "...a black..." so I can't watch another Tim Burton movie.

Zibrahim

you ever see a response so dumb that you slide past offense and straight into laughter?

this is one of those. how insulated by a bubble is this guy? lol

neoanarch

Shame seems like a good movie. Eva Green was already on my shit list for doing a Polanski movie. I guess there is absolutely no reason to watch this now.

hirokazu

Been done with Burton/Depp for a while, this is another thing making that stick.

Edit: And yes, this answer is shameful as hell.
His answer is pretty bad as is his track record, but this diversity thing never even occurred to me while watching the film. It's primarily set in a children's home in 1943 Wales. Yeah, that's certainly gonna be all or mostly white.

I think in the context of the setting and story, it's just as dumb to shoehorn minority actors in to be politically correct.

Tim Burton was offended by an Asian character on The Brady Bunch? That's pretty incredible. Dude has issues.
Yeah, it's not like people were calling for more diversity in our media back then to the extent that you'd be seriously bothered by it.

Works for Tarantino.

Pad your scripts with 120 n-words and defend yourself by saying you put Samuel Jackson as one of the smarter characters in it brehs....

Shame seems like a good movie. Eva Green was already on my shit list for doing a Polanski movie. I guess there is absolutely no reason to watch this now.

No lie those are two of my favorite things in film how did I know not about this movie.

His answer is pretty bad as is his track record, but this diversity thing never even occurred to me while watching the film. It's primarily set in a children's home in 1943 Wales. Yeah, that's certainly gonna be all or mostly white.

I think in the context of the setting and story, it's just as dumb to shoehorn minority actors in to be politically correct.
but the book it's based off of is diverse tho

Nepenthe

It's also a fantasy story full of magic and monsters. I find those to be a little less credible than an orphaned black kid in the UK in the 40s (of which there were certainly black people living there since Antiquity). Das jus me doe.

Regardless, that's missing the point. The point is that people can't just say "I wanted a white cast" or justify the whiteness of a cast through narrative means. They instead make the arbitrary existence of characters who aren't white within film a political maneuver, a deliberate decision based upon political correctness, simply because- oh shit- they have to be reminded that non-white people exist due to us not being the default image that's usually conjured up when a person thinks up a fictional character. There is almost always no reason given for any character in a given story to be white, but non-white characters are expected to justify their existence beyond creative liberty because they're just such a rare enigma, even in stories where even bigger liberties are already taken with reality such as throwing monsters and magic all over the place. It's a hurdle that is inherently racist through its lack of necessity and uneven application to different actors, thus it flies in the face of the oft-repeated sentiment here and elsewhere that Hollywood is in any way a meritocracy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
what is it about big shot hollywood directors and making up bullshit excuses for why they wont cast minorities

there was ridley scott who thinks people are coming to see a movie starring joel edgerton. who the fuck is joel edgerton. and now burton here thinks casting minorities would be tokenism. man fuck these guys.
Well, it was also same with the Coen brothers. You can tell that thoughts like this never cross their mind, and they're caught off guard and scramble to not look like a racist, giving an awkward answer that ends up feeling kinda racist anyway.

I feel the same way I did when the Coens gave their answer, I don't think they're racist at all, but they obviously never give this stuff a second thought and just stay in a comfort zone.

Well, it was also same with the Coen brothers. You can tell that thoughts like this never cross their mind, and they're caught off guard and scramble to not look like a racist, giving an awkward answer that ends up feeling kinda racist anyway.

I feel the same way I did when the Coens gave their answer, I don't think they're racist at all, but they obviously never give this stuff a second thought and just stay in a comfort zone.

That is racism.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What a stupid answer. The film is set in Wales, which is 98% white, seems an easy answer, why the hell bring the Brady bunch and blaxploitation into it.

What a stupid answer. The film is set in Wales, which is 98% white, seems an easy answer, why the hell bring the Brady bunch and blaxploitation into it.

Yeah I think if he just mentioned the setting and time period he has pretty solid reasoning. Dude dug the whole further with his musings tho.

This isn't exactly a good reason either. So what if 98% of Wales is white? 98% of people don't fall into this group of peculiar children either. There's no reason they couldn't be diverse

Damn, like how hard is it to say, "I chose the actors that I felt fit the roles the best based off their talent and rapport. I know that on a surface level it may be easy to assume there isn't enough diversity in the casting, but I'm confident that I went with the choices that I felt would bring these characters to life in the best possible way" or some shit?

Is "I watched blaxsploitation films" now the cinema version of "I have black friends?"

farmerboy

Tim's answer is either that of someone who panicked or a total shithead.

But tell me, cos I don't know, are any of the characters meant to be black?

Samuel L. Jackson:
"I may have been the first (black character in a Tim Burton movie), I don’t know, or the most prominent in that particular way, but it happens the way it happens," Jackson said. "I don’t think it’s any fault of his or his method of storytelling, it’s just how it’s played out. Tim’s a really great guy."

I don't know how I wanted Sam to react to this...but I would at least want him to call him out on the "a black" part...although it seems like the interviewer may not have informed Jackson....

Noirulus

now i know you don't actually believe this

I don't presume to know, neither should you. Just trying to look at this from another lens.

White people are just naturally better huh?

No they're not? There are far more white actors than other races, though. So obviously there will be more talent to choose from...

Edit: By the way, I'm assuming this is for child actors based on the title of the film. If the book/story is all adults then that's a different story and there's definitely racist implications in the casting.

gdt

Wow he just came right out with it huh. Hope this shit bombs and his career is over and that every fucking Hollywood party he goes to he feels awkward as fuck around POCs.

I don't presume to know, neither should you. Just trying to look at this from another lens.

No they're not? There are far more white actors than other races, though. So obviously there will be more talent to choose from...

Edit: By the way, I'm assuming this is for child actors based on the title of the film. If the book/story is all adults then that's a different story and there's definitely racist implications in the casting.

That's ridiculous. There are plenty of non-white actors. Movies don't have all-white casts because they just can't find the right non-white actors, despite how often people will push that lie.

Carcetti

For some reason I really hate his style of filmmaking so I wouldn't be crushed if this meant slightly few Burton movies in the future.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I can see his thought process behind what he's saying. In his mind, an all white or mostly white cast is the default. You'd only go outside the default if you were making a movie that specifically called for other races (like a blaxsploitation film). Otherwise, it would feel like casting POC for the sake of it, not for the film.

The problem for older white guys like Tim Burton is that this used to be how most people thought. Increasingly, it's not, and that's unquestionably good for POC/everyone. But it leaves Tim in an outmoded place because he apparently hasn't taken the time to notice that things have changed--or think through why and what it means.

The Kree

Banned
Tim Burton made Willy Wonkas father a dentist.

Tim Burton gave Batman villain The Penguin webbed hands and feet.

Tim Burton said "an Asian" and "a black."

Tim Burton: Master of Subtlety

Tim Burton made Willy Wonkas father a dentist.

Tim Burton gave Batman villain The Penguin webbed hands and feet.

Tim Burton said "an Asian" and "a black."

Tim Burton: Master of Subtlety

honestly the dentist thing is kinda funny, great casting as well for the father. shit movie tho.

anyways his bombastic filmmaking was so enjoyable in the 90s. he lost it as soon as the millennium hit. before that though he was one of the more entertaining popular directors out there. i don't think i disliked one movie of his until planet of the apes (and then it was shit after shit). before that though he had an impressive run of movies. hella consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom