• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Solo

I don't get why you'd right swipe or whatever girls you have no interest in.

Like GqueB said, its a lot easier that way. Just swipe. Even if you dont think you'd want them, chances are they aren't going to be a match anyways, so just right swipe and then once your matches roll in you can sort it out.

Installed this app yesterday, have had 2 matches already. Now I just need to figure out what to send. Especially for the other one, cause shes really cute.

Spinluck

Well my method is:

- right swipe like 90% of women (10% reserved for instant no no no noooooos)
- maybe you'll match with 25% of them
- block the 15% you don't have any interest in
- leaves you with 10% with potential
- probably 5% end up being girls you end up meeting

Women do this too, by the way. Ever get a match, strike up convo and get no response? You're in HER 15% that she liked then blocked because she never really was interested.

What's the difference between swiping no, and blocking?

Pastry

Banned
TinderGAF how do y'all think the algorithm works.

Is it random? Are people prioritized if they like you? If that's the case then any remotely attractive girl is going to have a line of hundreds of guys that liked her and you might never show up.

I wonder if the best strategy is to barely use the app or constantly use it so you're always seeing the newest people.

My friend uses Tinder and he gave it 2 thumbs up. Said if you're just looking to hook up - swipe right on all, and everything will sort itself out. Even if no remote interest.

Dunno how it worked - no FB here so I can't attest.

xkramz

i dont get it i get notifications that i got a match i go to it. and i see the girl and then press back and dont see them on matches im confused lol

Ultimadrago

If you're just looking for sex, does it really matter if you find them interesting or not?

image5lk7e.jpg

Don't have the app. Have any Gaffers gotten lucky using it?
My buddy uses it and he says its hit or miss... literally ;)

Yes. But as your buddy said, it is literally "Hit or Miss". Just fiddle with it when you have free time and expect disappointments. Matches (that actually respond) will work themselves (in or) out.

I just got a match! What do I do GAF?!?!?!?

"Hey ___, what are you up to?"

KPJZKC

True, although sometimes a girl will have something out of left field (a quote from Big Trouble In Little China!) or funny (one girl's was "I promise not to tell people where we met if you don't") which sets her apart.

I think I have seen about 20 "I'm going to lie about where we met"s.

Been addicted to tinder for the past 2 months and have about 300 matches. Im pretty picky too. I had to go off of it for a few weeks because it got too time consuming and was distracting me at work. Im gonna deff gonna get into it again within the next few weeks before Memorial Weekend.

Halcyon

It's funny, I was complaining about how I got no matches yesterday, then I tweaked the settings and i've got whatsapp messages full of boobs today.

I'm going to bang a canadian in a few weeks.

Chick I'm meeting with this weekend wants to know if I want to dance, drink, or talk. What do I say? I suck at dancing but I have the best chance of getting to mess around.

Solo

It's funny, I was complaining about how I got no matches yesterday, then I tweaked the settings and i've got whatsapp messages full of boobs today.

I'm going to bang a canadian in a few weeks.

*salutes*

There you go! I always bang Canadians.......but then, I live in Canada.

Solo

Chick I'm meeting with this weekend wants to know if I want to dance, drink, or talk. What do I say? I suck at dancing but I have the best chance of getting to mess around.

Do you just want to fuck? If so, dance and/or drink. Want to meet her for the purpose of maybe dating? If so, talk.

So basically you wanna drink/dance.

Do you just want to fuck? If so, dance and/or drink. Want to meet her for the purpose of maybe dating? If so, talk.

So basically you wanna drink/dance.
OK, that's exactly what I was going to tell her. Dancing is better when drinking so the combo seemed best.

Halcyon

Do all three. Drink while talking. Start dancing. Do a two-step. Get close. Do some touching of her waist. As alcohol sets in start grabbing ass.

#Sex

Do all three. Drink while talking. Start dancing. Do a two-step. Get close. Do some touching of her waist. As alcohol sets in start grabbing ass.

#Sex
Well it's not like I'm going to be a mute. She clearly means if I want to sit down and have dinner or go to the club part and drink and dance.

Halcyon

Well it's not like I'm going to be a mute. She clearly means if I want to sit down and have dinner or go to the club part and drink and dance.

Well you probably should do both. If you go to the club just to dance and drink then you won't have any time to talk a bit without Ace of Bass pumping too loud to hear.

Do you already have all the introductory information about each other?

Wubby

Crap. I want to try but it requires me to update my 4S to the latest iOS. Do I finally give in? Decisions, decisions.

Well you probably should do both. If you go to the club just to dance and drink then you won't have any time to talk a bit without Ace of Bass pumping too loud to hear.

Do you already have all the introductory information about each other?
Pretty much yeah. We've been texting the last day or two trying to set this up. Don't Know if I really want to sit through a whole awkward date for that.

I'm pretty sure she wanted to go to dinner then the club. She responded with "lol, I'll eat before hand. I can't handle drinking on an empty stomach" so I guess we're good.

Lol, she's asking me for pictures now. I guess saying I wanted to drink and dance clicked her mind over. Her grammar is so bad, it's rough to talk to her at times haha.

Solo

You made the right choice. What does "talk" even mean? Just sit on a couch and talk at each other? Watch some Omarion and Justin Timberlake videos to bone up.

I see it as:

Drink/Dance - go out to a club for a bit, get those inhibitions low, then fuck.

Talk - go for a meal, talk for a bit, then go out to a club for a bit, get those inhibitions low, then fuck.

I see it as:

Talk - go for a meal, talk for a bit, then go out to a club for a bit, get those inhibitions low, then fuck.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how it is. Or that's always how I've understood it to be.

I matched with a girl this morning and got a date like 2 hours later.

Got 2-3 others that I'm lining up as well. This app is pretty great. Sobering reality though, I never get matches with girls under 25. /oldmanface

Get lost, fogie.

Got 2-3 others that I'm lining up as well. This app is pretty great. Sobering reality though, I never get matches with girls under 25. /oldmanface

Get lost, fogie.
I don't know about that. Most chicks I knew wanted older guys, not people their age.

Pastry

Banned

Get lost, fogie.

That's awesome! Have you been using it long? Haven't gotten any matches on Tinder in the past couple of days, having decent luck elsewhere though. Seems to go in waves for me, all of a sudden I'll get a ton of matches and then nothing for a while.

Solo

I have a date tomorrow. We've been talking so long it's like we already know eachother......which frankly might backfire in the pursuit of quick sex.

If it does, this will be the first and last time I do it that way. After that, it will be get a match, plan a hookup ASAP, then close the deal. No more get-to-know-you-via-text-for-10-days-to-the-point-I-run-the-risk-of-getting-friendzoned stuff.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid though and having some comfort with me will make her all the more DTF. Guess I'll find out soon!

.GqueB.

Banned
I see it as:

In that case I hate "talk" dates because they feel like a job interview. I feel all first dates should happen on the dance floor, at a bowling alley, or invite her over and cook for her. Conversation is easier in all cases.

Museums are also good.

I have a date tomorrow. We've been talking so long it's like we already know eachother......which frankly might backfire in the pursuit of quick sex.

If it does, this will be the first and last time I do it that way. After that, it will be get a match, plan a hookup ASAP, then close the deal. No more get-to-know-you-via-text-for-10-days-to-the-point-I-run-the-risk-of-getting-friendzoned stuff.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid though and having some comfort with me will make her all the more DTF. Guess I'll find out soon!

Yeah, kind of why I don't want to talk to this chick too much until Saturday either. I'm not looking to have some deep relationship.

.GqueB.

Banned

I've been in that situation and it helps to do something that doesn't require you to sit and talk for a long period of time. I feel that ship has long sailed at this point but I think you'll be fine. At least you have a strong base so it's less introductory talk.

Top Bottom