• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

I deleted my account before, but I'm reinstalling the app and going for it, round 2.

The secret is just to swipe right on everyone, yeah?

edit: fuck it, that's what I'm doing

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of my mates has been using this lately -- he just likes every single girl listed within a certain radius and waits for the notification. One chick he chatted with was supposed to come out Friday night, but when the occasion rolled it was just excuse after excuse, so I think he's soured on the app a bit.

Pastry

Banned
HDmgMQQ.jpg

After about 45 matches this is the first woman that's actually messaged first. She's cute but I'm not into tattoos, won't complain about the compliment though.

Rikkun

http://i.imgur.com/HDmgMQQ.jpg[img]

After about 45 matches this is the first woman that's actually messaged first. She's cute [B]but I'm not into tattoos[/B], won't complain about the compliment though.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/moyeseyesx9cmx.gif

Living near-but-not-so-near-you-can-easily-reach-it to a metropolis sucks, when I shrink the distance in the options to just my roundabouts/the cities I can reach with my car it gives me 0 cards.

I also started swiping left everyone I think might be too attractive, too rich etc.
Not for me probably.

Pastry

Banned
moyeseyesx9cmx.gif

Living near-but-not-so-near-you-can-easily-reach-it to a metropolis sucks, when I shrink the distance in the options to just my roundabouts/the cities I can reach with my car it gives me 0 cards.

I also started swiping left everyone I think might be too attractive, too rich etc.
Not for me probably.

Haha I don't mind some tattoos but this girl is seriously tatted up. That many tattoos isn't my thing.

Yeah that sucks :/ I live in a big city so there's about 20 new people a day.

big_z

This app always shows no matches even with a max distance and i don't understand why. Does it require people in your friends list to also be using the app or something?

My profile pic has text cool grape in it. Will I get lucky?

Edit: Light makes g almost non visible. Did not see it myself first, but my friend was nice and congratulated me for being pro rape. Funny shit I say.

Astral

I've always been curious about this app just to see who's in my area. Alas, I have no facebook or pics, like, at all.

My coworkers talked me into getting this because they liked playing around with it. I haven't gotten a lot of matches, and I use it infrequently. Not really sure if it's my thing.

Minion101

Banned
Just had a 26 year old army girl message me first. I think because one of my photos is of me in a SWAT shirt. Don't think she knows it's from a comic con.

Ultimadrago

One of my mates has been using this lately -- he just likes every single girl listed within a certain radius and waits for the notification. One chick he chatted with was supposed to come out Friday night, but when the occasion rolled it was just excuse after excuse, so I think he's soured on the app a bit.

Tell him flakers are a very common and natural part of the process. :p Shouldn't take it personally or all on the app. There will be matches that aren't attention/time-wasters amongst the fold.

Minion101

Banned
If you look at all the girl's photos and still don't know what they look like cause it's all group shots with the same people. Then the person has downs.

Ultimadrago

If you look at all the girl's photos and still don't know what they look like cause it's all group shots with the same people. Then the person has downs.

If this is the case, I always assume the worst. Or you can usually spot them anyways because they're with different people.

potam

Banned
seriously guys, is this worth it? Do you still have to sign in with your FB account? I think that was the reason I didn't go for it last time.

ps: vicki probably posts here and you guys are making her cry

seriously guys, is this worth it? Do you still have to sign in with your FB account? I think that was the reason I didn't go for it last time.

yeah it's fun, found several interesting girls there and had a few dates. The forced Facebook integration limits the amount of fake accounts with fake photos. (atleast that easily without making a fake facebook account)

It is very shallow though to begin with, as you only have photos and a short description field to work with.

Met over 20 something girls at this point. Recently met one that I'm pretty into so I'm going to sign out for a bit and not deal with new match ups and try and date one girl for now. See if it goes anywhere. I was just having tons of fun with it the last few months, seeing one or two girls a week, most I didn't see more than two maybe three times before I got bored with them.

Its fun and addicting, and if you know how to read and talk to people it's absurdly easy to get dates, meet new people and go out and do new things.

Totally worth it.

yeah it's fun, found several interesting girls there and had a few dates. The forced Facebook integration limits the amount of fake accounts with fake photos. (atleast that easily without making a fake facebook account)

It is very shallow though to begin with, as you only have photos and a short description field to work with.

It's in my opinion this makes it less shallow. Like meeting people "IRL" you only have visuals to go on for interest really. It's up to your conversation to see if there's chemistry. I think dating sites that use what we say we are and we like is a more shallow type of dating, you're writing someone off not just because they aren't attractive to you in some way, but also because you may not share certain interests. You may find with tinder someone who's personality clicks with you, but otherwise has very few things in common.

In many ways it's less superficial.

potam

Banned
can you upload your own photos, or is it only from your FB? I basically have a shadow account nowadays. I tell everyone I don't use it anymore (mainly true), but I secretly like to stalk people. Basically I don't want to use a picture on there since they're all ~2+ years old at this point, but I don't want to mess with my FB and let people know I still use it.

can you upload your own photos, or is it only from your FB? I basically have a shadow account nowadays. I tell everyone I don't use it anymore (mainly true), but I secretly like to stalk people. Basically I don't want to use a picture on there since they're all ~2+ years old at this point, but I don't want to mess with my FB and let people know I still use it.

Upload from FB only. It's smart though, especially keeps people from uploading dick pics lol.

The FB integration cuts down on spam, dick pics, and just other dumb gross shit, because you can't exactly hide behind the full anonymity of the internet.

I usually swipe yes no matter what, but when I see that, it's an abrupt nope.

That's the worst though, the blocking is a pain in the ass. Half the time you have to type block in. If you could mass delete people I'd be lazy and just swipe yes too, but then again swiping left is half the fun lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This app always shows no matches even with a max distance and i don't understand why. Does it require people in your friends list to also be using the app or something?
Eh. I tested this out with a fake FB account (i.e. zero friends) and it worked fine for me.
But I'm in London so finding people around me isn't really hard.

gugi40

I liked it but it didnt produce results for me. There was only one guy I was really interested in but he told me he was still into his ex so I was not interested in pushing it.

I find most of the guys just want hookups so I deleted it.

Also its kind of cruel to be commenting on that girls image the way some of you are doing.

Oshimai

I felt like ass immediately after I posted my comment. I often say mean things without thinking when I'm stressed out... I have an exam in a few hours! ><

I liked it but it didnt produce results for me. There was only one guy I was really interested in but he told me he was still into his ex so I was not interested in pushing it.

Also its kind of cruel to be commenting on that girls image the way some of you are doing.

You know, I think YMMV. I know in LA it's super casual on tinder. A lot of people seem to get it's for dating. My friends in NY tell me most of the guys think it's for hookups. So maybe it depends where you are. I mean as a dude I still run into spam bots/prostitutes and some girls that are crazy boyfriend hungry.

That being said it's probably 1/10 matches that are lame like that. So I don't have as much crap to deal with that it seems girls do. With women it seems like half the dudes need to be blocked so I get why you'd give up on it if you're getting gross or rude shit.

Also I agree big time with not posting of someones profile on here and commenting on it. Should be ban worthy offense. I bet most of the people doing that don't look the best or can't do better themselves. There's no reason to be a dick like that.

One could argue that her defacing the image of jesus is "cruel," or at least offensive

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I don't think a girl rubbing her ass on a jesus statue's crotch is going to care much about being judged, lol.

One could argue that her defacing the image of jesus is "cruel," or at least offensive

Lol I didnt even notice that was the statue. Sure, fair point, but still no reason to out her on blast. She didn't come in here and show it off, I just find it rude/creepy to be uploading photos of other people.

gugi40

Yes that can be argued, but that is not what is being addressed.
You know, I think YMMV. I know in LA it's super casual on tinder. A lot of people seem to get it's for dating. My friends in NY tell me most of the guys think it's for hookups. So maybe it depends where you are. I mean as a dude I still run into spam bots/prostitutes and some girls that are crazy boyfriend hungry.

That being said it's probably 1/10 matches that are lame like that. So I don't have as much crap to deal with that it seems girls do. With women it seems like half the dudes need to be blocked so I get why you'd give up on it if you're getting gross or rude shit.

Also I agree big time with not posting of someones profile on here and commenting on it. Should be ban worthy offense. I bet most of the people doing that don't look the best or can't do better themselves. There's no reason to be a dick like that.

I'm sure there are tons of guys legitimately looking for a relationship but I never encountered many. I will say there were no rude guys though, just ones that want to sleep around which I have no interest in. It might be a big city thing to use it for hookups I have no idea.
But it is an enjoyable app for the most part.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there an app like Tinder for finding people with similar interests to you? That's honestly what I was hoping this app was which is why I was quite negative about it to begin with.

Top Bottom