• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm in a pretty big city, and I've used the app pretty frequently, but I feel like I'm constantly out of hits. It'll search for a minute or so and only return one at a time. Used to be able to go through about a hundred before it needed to poke around again. Have I just hit the bottom or the well?

Solo

I've been in that situation and it helps to do something that doesn't require you to sit and talk for a long period of time. I feel that ship has long sailed at this point but I think you'll be fine. At least you have a strong base so it's less introductory talk.

True. In fact, I was actually thinking bowling alley before you even mentioned it. She likes individual sports and its a place where you can talk without having to talk too much and regurgitate all the crap you've said via text already.

Also, ass shots.

I don't know about that. Most chicks I knew wanted older guys, not people their age.

To clarify, I'm 32. All the matches I've gotten have been 25-33, with one exception (24). Just about right for the divide by 2, add 7 rule. I should probably eliminate the younger ages in the settings to save time... but nah.

That's awesome! Have you been using it long? Haven't gotten any matches on Tinder in the past couple of days, having decent luck elsewhere though. Seems to go in waves for me, all of a sudden I'll get a ton of matches and then nothing for a while.

I've been on for about two weeks. The most bizarre thing is coming across chicks you know on the app. I actually matched with one, so I gave her a "what's up" on fb.

I definitely have to agree with moving faster. Any chick who's reasonably attractive is probably getting matched with dozens of other guys. And it kind of sucks as a chat program (notifications are inconsistent sometimes). Going forward, I'm going to be getting phone numbers and asking to chill asap instead of trying to get their life story over tinder. I've had one "conversation" stretch out over a week with like 6 replies each. I might get a date at that pace in 2 months.

AVclub

So I've been reading this thread for a few days and it got my curiosity going. So I installed the app and swiped at a few pictures for a while yesterday. Got one match. By the evening, an old friend of mine from college sends me a FB message. "What are you doing on Tinder?" she says. She knows I'm married. Doesn't know I have an open relationship. Apparently she right-swiped me because she showed up in my feed the next time I launched the app. So I sent her a couple of messages without explaining myself. And she's like "You're funny."

But so far, it's kind of amusing to either accept or reject all these girls based on a quick first impression, knowing I'm not hurting their feelings.

Aurongel

Is it weird that I'm worried about my cousins or my female friends seeing me on it and thinking less of me somehow? I don't know why but the idea of that really steers me away from using this app.

Solo

But so far, it's kind of amusing to either accept or reject all these girls based on a quick first impression, knowing I'm not hurting their feelings.

People call Tinder shallow, but really......this is EXACTLY the same process you'd go through in any social setting. You'd see a girl, and instantly make a judgment on whether you're interested in her or not based on looks. If you "like" her, you'd move in and strike up convo. If you didn't, you'd move on. Tinder actually is beneficial because it goes a step further and weeds out girls who are spoken for.

You have my sword, Tinder.

Is it weird that I'm worried about my cousins or my female friends seeing me on it and thinking less of me somehow? I don't know why but the idea of that really steers me away from using this app.
I'm sorry but this doesn't even make sense... They can't see you unless they're on the app and if they think less of you after they also use the app, do you really give a shit what they think at that point?

Pastry

Banned
I'm in a pretty big city, and I've used the app pretty frequently, but I feel like I'm constantly out of hits. It'll search for a minute or so and only return one at a time. Used to be able to go through about a hundred before it needed to poke around again. Have I just hit the bottom or the well?

I live right in the middle of a metro area of 2 million and I get around 15-20 new people a day. I'm honestly curious how it works, are these new accounts or is it throttling how much I get and they're just random.

I definitely have to agree with moving faster. Any chick who's reasonably attractive is probably getting matched with dozens of other guys. And it kind of sucks as a chat program (notifications are inconsistent sometimes). Going forward, I'm going to be getting phone numbers and asking to chill asap instead of trying to get their life story over tinder. I've had one "conversation" stretch out over a week with like 6 replies each. I might get a date at that pace in 2 months.

My rule is after I send 5 messages it's time to ask them out, then I'll get a number and casually text until we go out. Any longer than that and someone else will pull the trigger before you.

.GqueB.

Banned
People call Tinder shallow, but really......this is EXACTLY the same process you'd go through in any social setting. You'd see a girl, and instantly make a judgment on whether you're interested in her or not based on looks. If you "like" her, you'd move in and strike up convo. If you didn't, you'd move on. Tinder actually is beneficial because it goes a step further and weeds out girls who are spoken for.

Agreed. It's the only dating app that comes even remotely close to how we really interact. I used to use okcupid but that experience creates a date that has the awkward already built in. It's crazy to me that I can go on a date knowing whether or not the girl is willing to have sex on the first meeting. Or what sort of kinky shit she's into. In the back of your head you kind of just want to talk about that.

Here's some advice for you that not only applies to Tinder, but just about anything in life similar to this:

Nobody cares as much as you think they do. They're too wrapped up in their own shit.

Agreed. It's the only dating app that comes even remotely close to how we really interact. I used to use okcupid but that experience creates a date that has the awkward already built in. It's crazy to me that I can go on a date knowing whether or not the girl is willing to have sex on the first meeting. Or what sort of kinky shit she's into. In the back of your head you kind of just want to talk about that.

Ding Ding DIng Ding! I have to tell this to people all the fucking time.

If anything in a way it's the LEAST superficial app there is. Every other dating site has built in expectations due to filtering, as well as making yourself look even better than you do by fudging the stats when making a bio. on tinder you really only get to know someone through conversation like in real life.

I try to get her number within 4-5 messages BTW, and move that shit off Tinder.

See this I both agree/disagree with. It breaks one of my tinder rules.

I agree with asking them out after 10-15 mins of conversation. Like I would if I met someone out and had a good enough amount of time to tell through talking if I would like to take them out.

What I don't do is move it out of the app until after I have gone on a date. Here's why, I've had two dates who were crazy clingy. Once they have your # It's harder to end the ties to them. I prefer to keep the crazy in the app, it's easier to break things off and not see someone a second time if you can tell them, and then when the conversation is over simply hit block.

There have been times where I have broken my own rule due to the shitty buggy nature of the app, but after two girls who would not leave me alone I try to wait until I have gone out and want to see them again.

Solo

Henry, why not just block their #'s if they bring the craziness out? It's easy as pie on my iPhone and I'd imagine easy on most other devices too.

I like pulling phone #'s because

a) like you said, the app can be buggy as shit with notofications etc.
b) if they delete their account, you've lost your connection
c) if they do turn out nuts, I can just block em from my phone

I haven't had much luck with Tinder so far, but totally just got matched with a girl I really wanted to bang back in high school, and she wants to meet up this weekend. I'll basically be satisfied with my experience for a while if I can make it happen haha.

Halcyon

I haven't had much luck with Tinder so far, but totally just got matched with a girl I really wanted to bang back in high school, and she wants to meet up this weekend. I'll basically be satisfied with my experience for a while if I can make it happen haha.

I hope this happens for you. It is a wonderful fantasy and I would like to live vicariously through your penis.

Solo

Said she wanted another normal picture of me so I sent it then she said she didn't get it and got kind of bitchy over it and stuff like I was purposefully not sending her a picture or something. Just really weird exchange.

Ummmm.....yeah, I'd probably disengage and move on from that exchange.

Halcyon

Said she wanted another normal picture of me so I sent it then she said she didn't get it and got kind of bitchy over it and stuff like I was purposefully not sending her a picture or something. Just really weird exchange.

How many of your pictures are not "normal". This is confusing to me. Are you dressed like a clown in 4/5 of them.

greenry

Ehhh...

How large is your radius? I'm in between LA and SD, so I throw 100 miles on and hit sooo many women. Unlimited.

If I lived in LA, I'd have that shit locked down at like 10-15 miles for that very reason.

Haha I have mine at 5 in LA. 100 sounds nuts. 5 miles 23-27. Why would you need more than that. You can only have so many matchups anyway it just becomes excess.

Henry, why not just block their #'s if they bring the craziness out? It's easy as pie on my iPhone and I'd imagine easy on most other devices too.

I like pulling phone #'s because

a) like you said, the app can be buggy as shit with notofications etc.
b) if they delete their account, you've lost your connection
c) if they do turn out nuts, I can just block em from my phone

Why is it harder when they have your number? Don't most things let you block numbers now?

Yeah but on iPhone a block doesnt stop them from leaving a voicemail or using another number. Girl was crazy.

Halcyon

Somehow this process of pick-up worked. I think i may try it with every match I get.

ZNNMUdH.png

Haha I have mine at 5 in LA. 100 sounds nuts. 5 miles 23-27. Why would you need more than that. You can only have so many matchups anyway it just becomes excess.

Yeah but on iPhone a block doesnt stop them from leaving a voicemail or using another number. Girl was crazy.

If they're blocked the voicemail should never reach you. And how many phone numbers can a crazy person have? Its possible but very very unlikely.

:) = serial killer , RUN.

I'm debating reactivating my facebook and doing this. I CANNOT yell at all and bars/clubs are awful for me because of that. I was talking to this girl and trying to flirt and about 5 minutes into us talking she yells "I CANNOT HEAR A WORD YOURE SAYING"

5 won't hit anything major for me. I need to set it high to hit the cities.

Ah i see, I'm in los feliz, so the population is more than high enough. I keep my matches below 100 to avoid tinder hoarding lol

If they're blocked the voicemail should never reach you. And how many phone numbers can a crazy person have? Its possible but very very unlikely.

lol, the first girl called me from 3 differnt bumbers. The second I had to block but honestly, I'd rather just not have to block someone from my phone. Just a little rule i have made for myself which has worked out well.

Can't always keep to it, girls are alot more assertive on tinder and they give me their number so I have to break said rule anyway.

Exr

:) = serial killer , RUN.

I'm debating reactivating my facebook and doing this. I CANNOT yell at all and bars/clubs are awful for me because of that. I was talking to this girl and trying to flirt and about 5 minutes into us talking she yells "I CANNOT HEAR A WORD YOURE SAYING"

It's such an easy, low effort way to meet people. I've been using it for about 3-4 months now and I've met a lot of different girls. Great for lazy people.

So after using tinder for about 3-4 weeks I've had around 30 or so matches. Managed to go out with 3 chicks I was actually pretty interested in only to be super let down by their personalities. I've slept with 4 different chicks and that's been fun and all but nothing that was going anywhere serious. I've realized it pretty much turns into me being really into one girl while wasting time talking to others. I'm going to keep using the app as I still find it pretty fun but it's turning into some what of a let down I think.

So after using tinder for about 3-4 weeks I've had around 30 or so matches. Managed to go out with 3 chicks I was actually pretty interested in only to be super let down by their personalities. I've slept with 4 different chicks and that's been fun and all but nothing that was going anywhere serious. I've realized it pretty much turns into me being really into one girl while wasting time talking to others. I'm going to keep using the app as I still find it pretty fun but it's turning into some what of a let down I think.

Most people use tinder to hookup, not to have serious relationships. I think you have different expectations than most.

TylerD

Exchange with a match:

She had "Law student by day..." and nothing else on her profile.

Me: AND crime fighter by night?

Her: nope, Jedi

Me: Even better! AND I think my light saber just twitched. j/k

Her: ... ewww BLOCKED!

Me: :(

Her: I didn't actually block you ;)

Me: Then I must be doing something right. Do you want to just text? here is my number:

Then she texted me.

---------------------------

She wants to meet up for coffee later this week after not being able to make it out last night when I told her I was going to be out and she was welcome. She calls herself a sarcastic asshole. I say she is very fun.

Ovid

Crap. I want to try but it requires me to update my 4S to the latest iOS. Do I finally give in? Decisions, decisions.
Possibly find the girl of your dreams or keep a security flawed version of iOS.

Not that difficult of a decision.

Keep iOS 6 silly :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't you already know their name? I thought name and age was the few bits of info you are given.

Minion101

Banned
Just started using this app 5 days ago and I pretty much got 0 matches after the first 2 days. I'm guessing it's just the way the app works?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just started using this app 5 days ago and I pretty much got 0 matches after the first 2 days. I'm guessing it's just the way the app works?

Just coin-tossy I guess.

It's probably just me, but mine seem to come in waves. 16 matches and all have been in like 3 days or so. It's 0 for a week then on one day 4 or 5.

Top Bottom