• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Solo

Just had a great date with the chick I'd been talking to for 10 days or so. No smanging unfortunately, which I kinda figured might occur, but she's definitely GF material so I am fine in waiting to smang on the second or third date.

Just had a great date with the chick I'd been talking to for 10 days or so. No smanging unfortunately, which I kinda figured might occur, but she's definitely GF material so I am fine in waiting to smang on the second or third date.

Nice man. I've been boringly swiping for the last week or so, after 20+ girls I actually kinda like this new girl I just started seeing. Actually canceled the two dates I had with other girls, and I'm seeing her again tonight. If it goes as well as the last time I may end up deleting the app for awhile and seeing what happens.

I've had a fuck ton of fun dating all different kinds of women through it, but you get burnt out after awhile of just dating and hooking up ext, plus its tiring talking to and seeing a bunch of people at once lol.
I know not something to complain about

I think that's why i'm in big defense of this app, I've had an awesome fling with one chick for almost two months, met a ton of great people, and awesome dates and also made two good friends so far through it. I might be nearing my end of use with it for a bit, but it can be an awesome tool to meet new people and do new things. I started using it as an excuse to just go out and do new stuff, I would sue my dates as a way to do things I never have.

Here's some of the stuff I have done
Three museums
Two art walks
a few hikes/sunsets
gun range (never shot a gun before)
indoor trampoline place
go karts/dave and busters
sunset canoeing
wine tasting
barcade downtown
went to venice for my first, and now many times (only took me 2.5 years lol)

and probably a few others I can't even think of right now. All of those things were stuff I had never done before. Been a great year so far lol.

Solo

My man! Good luck with her. Tinder is definitely a hookup app for the most part, but that doesn't mean you can't end up in a relationship with someone you met on there either.

Halcyon

Nice man. I've been boringly swiping for the last week or so, after 20+ girls I actually kinda like this new girl I just started seeing. Actually canceled the two dates I had with other girls, and I'm seeing her again tonight. If it goes as well as the last time I may end up deleting the app for awhile and seeing what happens.

I've had a fuck ton of fun dating all different kinds of women through it, but you get burnt out after awhile of just dating and hooking up ext, plus its tiring talking to and seeing a bunch of people at once lol.
I know not something to complain about

I think that's why i'm in big defense of this app, I've had an awesome fling with one chick for almost two months, met a ton of great people, and awesome dates and also made two good friends so far through it. I might be nearing my end of use with it for a bit, but it can be an awesome tool to meet new people and do new things. I started using it as an excuse to just go out and do new stuff, I would sue my dates as a way to do things I never have.

Here's some of the stuff I have done
Three museums
Two art walks
a few hikes/sunsets
gun range (never shot a gun before)
indoor trampoline place
go karts/dave and busters
sunset canoeing
wine tasting
barcade downtown
went to venice for my first, and now many times (only took me 2.5 years lol)

and probably a few others I can't even think of right now. All of those things were stuff I had never done before. Been a great year so far lol.

This seems expensive and exhausting. Fun though.

My man! Good luck with her. Tinder is definitely a hookup app for the most part, but that doesn't mean you can't end up in a relationship with someone you met on there either.

I completely disagree, but thanks! It's a dating app, not a hookup app. I think the girls who want to just straight up hookup will match up with the kind of dudes looking for the same thing.

I wasn't going in with any expectations, I'd say 25% are hooking up, 50% are like me and just seeing what happens and 25% are looking for LTR. If you're looking for a hookup, you'll attract and swipe those kinds of people more often.

I personally don't want an STI lol so outside of a few of them I would date them at least once before we had sex. Easier to have regular sex with one person than riskily with multiple unknowns. If I tried to/did sleep with all of those girls, I would have most certainly gotten something, statistically speaking lol.

This seems expensive and exhausting. Fun though.

Haha, it did get exhausting a bit, so I deleted it and took almost two weeks off in march. Expensive not so much, which is why I listed them.

I don't do dinner/movie bs. Thats way more money.

Art walks/museums are not very expensive. Either is hiking/sunset styled dates. It's cheaper when you go out and do something for the day, you can keep costs way down.

Also most of the women, at least my age insist on splitting the bill, if I don't let them they usually take the tab at the bar later.

Solo

Fuck, I hate having to make decisions. The girl I had a great date with is leaving for Europe for a month today. Do I wait a month for her (despite the fact that we aren't tied to eachother in any way), or do I continue Tindering?

Fuck, I hate having to make decisions. The girl I had a great date with is leaving for Europe for a month today. Do I wait a month for her (despite the fact that we aren't tied to eachother in any way), or do I continue Tindering?

I wouldn't wait, but I would keep my options open. See how receptive she is towards you after she gets back.

Ultimadrago

Continue. Unless explicitly discussed, there are no (exclusivity) promises.

PlayDat

Sorry if this has been answered already.

What happens if delete the app, but not my account?

Are other people still able to swipe me?

I deleted the app after only a couple days out of frustration. The few matches I did get were all bots. I'm hoping I could improve my number of matches with a better picture, but since I haven't gotten around to uploading one yet I've kept the app off my phone.

Is there any way to start over? If I delete my tinder account, will I be able to reconnect a new one with the same facebook account? I'm assuming the developers of the app discourage that kind of thing.

Did I delete the app too soon? Do you guys usually go days with 0 matches? I'm certain I swiped over a hundred women (all to the right of course) and got no love. I'm in a town that's pretty densely populated with college students too.

Solo

I wouldn't wait, but I would keep my options open. See how receptive she is towards you after she gets back.

Continue. Unless explicitly discussed, there are no (exclusivity) promises.

Yeah, I think this is what I've decided. We'll text while she's gone, but I'm going to continue to see what's out there, with the assumption (and no hard feelings for doing it) that she'll be doing the same.

Then when she gets back, if nothing has changed for either of us, we can get together.

I've only gotten three matches in the week that I've been using it.

It also seems like most of these girls in Washington could just use a random profile generator of just a few key phrases and words: Sarcasm, adventures, barista, wine, go hawks, softball, hiking, photography, big spoon, 5'10, etc.

thomaser

Tried it for the first time now, and... I actually got a cramp in my right bicep after all the swiping. I better get some good matches now, haha!

Manarola

Banned

I hope you're not seriously asking this question after one date.

My number of hits has exploded in the last week. So much so that I think I'm going to go easy on the swiping before I at least go out with a few of these girls. I have tentative plans with a few and definitive plans with a girl I matched with Saturday and wants to go on a date this weekend. We moved off of Tinder and the convo experience has been much smoother by texting.

Yes or no guys?

BmSV3oaCAAAv3yC.jpg

This girl popped up for me too... lol

y2dvd

OK I just signed up with Tinder. What are some tips and tricks to this? Like as many things on FB to get as many matches as possible?

Rad-

There's so many hotties matching me but then they don't answer back. Also plenty of girls who I know and who I'm pretty sure are dating atm.

OK I just signed up with Tinder. What are some tips and tricks to this? Like as many things on FB to get as many matches as possible?

Swipe to the right
Profit

#1: Be attractive
#2: Don't be un-attractive.

These guys are right. Put up your best looking picture(s) for your profile, and god help you if you have a group photo as your primary. Also note that some girls are immediately turned off by photos holding fish and shirtless selfies.

Other than that, swipe right on everyone you find attractive. Some guys will say swipe right on everything and then sort after you've connected, but I'd only go that far if my number of hits totally dried up. As a personal rule, I never swipe right if the girl has only group photos* or if she only has pics at "MySpace angles". Some girls just have no concept of what makes a good photo, so unfortunately unless you do some profile digging you might miss a few hidden gems.

* exceptions are made in the case where you would sleep with everyone in the photo anyway.

There's so many hotties matching me but then they don't answer back. Also plenty of girls who I know and who I'm pretty sure are dating atm.

And this is the other side of the coin; there are of course women who utilize the same " swipe right on everyone " trick to jack up the number of hits, with no intention of talking to 75% of them.

Solo

If you get a match at like 2am coming out of a bar/club......congrats, you're 100% getting laid, and very soon. It was almost too easy.

Damn, the amount of matches chicks get is insane. Chick I met over the weekend showed me hers. She had like 300 or 400 matches. Literally every swipe right was a match. There's probably like 10x the guys vs. girls I would think though.

I think a lot of guys use the "say yes to everyone, decide if you actually want to talk to them once they also say yes." That's my strategy anyway. But the male:female ratio on dating sites is always horribly skewed towards men.

I think a lot of guys use the "say yes to everyone, decide if you actually want to talk to them once they also say yes." That's my strategy anyway. But the male:female ratio on dating sites is always horribly skewed towards men.

Yeah, but I haven't heard of any guys having 300+ matches in less than a week. It has to be more than some people swiping right.

Anyhow, roommates who cock block are horrible horrible human beings.

Terrible idea if you live in a population dense area, you'll spend too much time blocking non matches. Also gets rid of the fun of swiping, its like a game.

Damn, the amount of matches chicks get is insane. Chick I met over the weekend showed me hers. She had like 300 or 400 matches. Literally every swipe right was a match. There's probably like 10x the guys vs. girls I would think though.

lol that's nothing. Just use the app for awhile, I delete people everyday to keep it under 100. I got over 50 this saturday alone lol. It's way easier for women though, my one friend had over 1000 before she deleted it. She realized like I did before I deleted and reset that you can't utilize it that way, you're just collecting matches at that point lol.

I don't like this app. There's too many young and attractive women on it.

best part.

If you get a match at like 2am coming out of a bar/club......congrats, you're 100% getting laid, and very soon. It was almost too easy.

Hahaha, I have yet to meet up with any of those. I always find them hilarious, always at least one at 2:30 and 3am every friday/saturday night.

These guys are right. Put up your best looking picture(s) for your profile, and god help you if you have a group photo as your primary. Also note that some girls are immediately turned off by photos holding fish and shirtless selfies.

Other than that, swipe right on everyone you find attractive. Some guys will say swipe right on everything and then sort after you've connected, but I'd only go that far if my number of hits totally dried up. As a personal rule, I never swipe right if the girl has only group photos* or if she only has pics at "MySpace angles". Some girls just have no concept of what makes a good photo, so unfortunately unless you do some profile digging you might miss a few hidden gems.

* exceptions are made in the case where you would sleep with everyone in the photo anyway.

And this is the other side of the coin; there are of course women who utilize the same " swipe right on everyone " trick to jack up the number of hits, with no intention of talking to 75% of them.

This guy knows whats up.

I also swipe left or block any matches who's profile has the following
"Crossfit life" "Must love god/jesus"

I also agree, don't bother swiping right on everyone. It's so much fun to go through and swipe on people lol.

Another thing, I noticed you'll get a lot more matches on friday/saturday. All the people who don;t have plans and want to go out are on tinder, and then late at night all the ones who's taped home or struck out at the bar go on. Tinder front loads people who swipe on you to the top of your lists, so if you don't use it for a bit the first right swipes will always be matches. Lots of girls use it more on the weekend so they start going through the first people who swiped on them and next thing you know you start getting matches. Also why you might find in the morning you will match up with the first few people you swipe right on, since those people then already said yes to you at night.

My main picture is me with my former roommate's dog. My female friends advised that if you have a picture with a dog or a cat you'll probably attract 50% more women.

Hasn't seemed to work for me, though! Then again I rarely use it, so I probably don't pop up on other people's Tinders that often.

My main picture is me with my former roommate's dog. My female friends advised that if you have a picture with a dog or a cat you'll probably attract 50% more women.

Hasn't seemed to work for me, though! Then again I rarely use it, so I probably don't pop up on other people's Tinders that often.

I've seen some reports say 80-100% more likely. It definitely helps. I have mine in my second photo. Totally works for me, a lot of girls who message first either comment on my cat, or my DHARMA chefs apron.

potam

Banned
I may have already asked this, but I forgot: so you can only use pictures you have on FB, right? Can you choose any pictures to show, or does your FB profile pic = tinder pic?

I may have already asked this, but I forgot: so you can only use pictures you have on FB, right? Can you choose any pictures to show, or does your FB profile pic = tinder pic?

You can choose but they have to be from FB. It helps fight gross pictures, cat fishing and gets rid of anonymity a bit which helps with assholish behavior

potam

Banned
You can choose but they have to be from FB. It helps fight gross pictures, cat fishing and gets rid of anonymity a bit which helps with assholish behavior

damn. I don't have any decent recent pictures of me on FB, and I don't really want to mess with it. I guess I do look pretty much the same as a few years ago though...

yeah fuck this noise I have like 2 decent pics on my FB, and I don't think this pic is gonna get me the ladies

61329_757296824261_5068660_n.jpg

potam

Banned
why not just upload a new photo?

because that would indicate that I still use facebook...and it's easier for me to ignore people if I can say "oh, I didn't see that on FB. I don't use it anymore"

edit: I probably will bite the bullet and upload a new pic at some point, cuz I just want to get my fuck on

because that would indicate that I still use facebook...and it's easier for me to ignore people if I can say "oh, I didn't see that on FB. I don't use it anymore"

edit: I probably will bite the bullet and upload a new pic at some point, cuz I just want to get my fuck on

Do what I did one night lol (didn't feel like uploading one or two obnoxious selfies for everyone just tinder). Make a an album then upload the photos to it late at night. Don't tag yourself they don't need to be tagged. Once up, add them on tinder, and then just set the album to private on Facebook so people can't see it on Facebook anymore.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've seen some reports say 80-100% more likely. It definitely helps. I have mine in my second photo. Totally works for me, a lot of girls who message first either comment on my cat, or my DHARMA chefs apron.
And now I need to take a pic with my cousins dog.

Just got matched up with a self proclaimed HUGE Game of Thrones fan who wishes she was Calisi.

LOL

That's either next level troll bait or someone who never read the books or an article or blog post about the series.

No Love

Banned
Just got matched up with a self proclaimed HUGE Game of Thrones fan who wishes she was Calisi.

LOL

That's either next level troll bait or someone who never read the books or an article or blog post about the series.

Dragon-fuck the shit out of her ass.

Noaloha

Hot tip: the spelling 'Calisi' will be a deal-breaker.

EDIT: or am I misunderstanding and she was the one who spelled it that way, hence the second part of your post?

Top Bottom