• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Then why bother? Either it's dead and making a profile was a waste of your time or you're making it a joke and wasting someone else's time.

I didn't know Tinder was completely dead where I live. Haven't gotten a single person to rate in five days.

I don't think I'm wasting anyone's time.

Couldn't really care, it's my profile pic on Facebook I'm using as a joke.

Tinder is basically dead where I live so not going to bother really.

If you're just using it to take the piss, you aren't going to get many hits unless you're model-tier. Joke pics are fine in fb, where you're expressing yourself to your friends and families.

A joke pic on tinder is like showing up at a club unwashed in your pajamas.

Izayoi

Banned
You guys are right, who am I kidding. I'd bang this girl even if my ex was sleeping in the next room. But I'd feel bad about it after.
Feeling bad is for the weak, bro.

So can you just make a fake facebook account and put your pics on there? I don't want a real facebook account.
You can do that, if you like. Make sure all of your details are correct, though - your location in particular.

If you're just using it to take the piss, you aren't going to get many hits unless you're model-tier. Joke pics are fine in fb, where you're expressing yourself to your friends and families.

A joke pic on tinder is like showing up at a club unwashed in your pajamas.

The pic was a joke on fb, kept it because people told me it was nice. Then I realized tinder was dead and I didn't bother changing it.

Izayoi

Banned
They lied.
Harsh, but also true.

I would definitely switch it up.

You're aiming for maximum sex appeal on Tinder, and that picture is definitely not ideal.

As a general rule, try to avoid filters and low quality stuff in general. Also, smile! Really! It helps a lot.

Harsh, but also true.

I would definitely switch it up.

You're aiming for maximum sex appeal on Tinder, and that picture is definitely not ideal.

As a general rule, try to avoid filters and low quality stuff in general. Also, smile! Really! It helps a lot.

Friends in general aren't always a good judge of which pics of you are best either because they know you. A stranger just happening upon a pic might think entirely different or negative things. Exhibit a: my av.

Pavaloo

It's one of those things where you should gauge it this way: where are you and would the type of girl who's into that be more up your alley than the type alienated by it.

Ah okay, yeah that makes sense, thanks for the advice. I think it should be fine in my 'hipster' art oriented city. I'm using it as my main right now cause I figure it's an attention grabber too

Izayoi

Banned
Just think of Tinder like this: everything is about your first impression. You want the most flattering pictures of you that you can scrounge up. Like Devo said, joke images are great for your friends who already know who you are and aren't going to jump to conclusions about them, but a total stranger is going to see it in a completely different (and many times negative) light.

Exhibit a: my av.
But Devo, your avatar perfectly describes you as a person!

:lol

Just think of Tinder like this: everything is about your first impression. You want the most flattering pictures of you that you can scrounge up. Like Devo said, joke images are great for your friends who already know who you are and aren't going to jump to conclusions about them, but a total stranger is going to see it in a completely different (and many times negative) light.

But Devo, your avatar perfectly describes you as a person!

:lol

But my beer of choice isn't Bud in a can ;_;.

potam

Banned
They lied.

Gas_thermometer_and_absolute_zero.jpg

Really? I just don't understand how. Why would me having an attractive female friend hurt my chances unless, the person on the other end swiping me feels threatened by a guy with a good friend of the opposite sex?

Because Tinder is all about the split-second judging. A chick could see your face and be on the fence about right swiping you, but if there's a hot female next to you, it could push her over to the left swipe, see what I'm saying?

Of course I would imagine there would be exceptions, but having a solo picture (neutral) should logically seem to give you more of an advantage.

Because Tinder is all about the split-second judging. A chick could see your face and be on the fence about right swiping you, but if there's a hot female next to you, it could push her over to the left swipe, see what I'm saying?

Of course I would imagine there would be exceptions, but having a solo picture (neutral) should logically seem to give you more of an advantage.

This. I mean if theres a dude in a girls first photo it's a left swipe. I don't have time to click and look at the other photos.

Update: I told the girl about the fb picture, and then told her the story behind it. My ex is actually her boss. She joked about me getting her in trouble, to which I responded "I won't tell if you won't." She seems to be happy with that.

Izayoi

Banned
Update: I told the girl about the fb picture, and then told her the story behind it. My ex is actually her boss. She joked about me getting her in trouble, to which I responded "I won't tell if you won't." She seems to be happy with that.
Everyone loves dirty little secrets.

Are bathroom selfies shunned? I get almost no matches but I can't get better pictures. At least I got one date for tomorrow, it's something.

If you can't get a decent pic or bunch of pics for your Tinder then it just reflects like you don't give a shit. Why should she?

Jzero

If you can't get a decent pic or bunch of pics for your Tinder then it just reflects like you don't give a shit. Why should she?

Maybe he'll get lucky with some girl who also doesn't give a shit and doesn't take the site seriously.

Well, I don't mind bathroom pics or stuff like that so I didn't think others would, especially since most of the pictures on the app are bad but I still swipe to right if I can see something I find attractive.

Izayoi

Banned
Are bathroom selfies shunned? I get almost no matches but I can't get better pictures. At least I got one date for tomorrow, it's something.
As long as your bathroom is clean, it really doesn't matter. If you can, get a mirror in a different room. If your bathroom is set up right, you can stand against a wall and use the mirror to take a forward-facing image of yourself in the bathroom with your phone. Basically remove as much of the bathroom as possible from the image.

Like I said though, as long as your bathroom doesn't look like a troll cave, you're probably fine.

This doesn't post any crap on your facebook page right? I don't want people to know I'm a loser >_>.
Since when was getting laid equated with being a loser?

BunnyBear

You can do better.

My housemate joined Tinder a few months back and is now dating the guy. I'm in a long-term relationship now, but if it goes tits up, I might give it a go.

Friday night, matches gunna be blowing up. Girls tinder hard on fri/sat night haha. Minus a dozen or two bad swipes I havent deleted any this week to see how many I get in one week. Will find out tonight.

Top Bottom