• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Makabe

I was having a discussion with friends about how tinder makes money, tonight I received an SMS from Badoo saying "hey check this out "link"" and upon Googling Badoo it looks like a dating website - so bare in mind your information may be being sold on, although I suppose that's expected these days.

vdlow

I was having a discussion with friends about how tinder makes money, tonight I received an SMS from Badoo saying "hey check this out "link"" and upon Googling Badoo it looks like a dating website - so bare in mind your information may be being sold on, although I suppose that's expected these days.

Tinder is owned by the same company that owns Match.com and other dating services.

They have plans of monetizing Tinder via ads, but right now, they are using Tinder as "the first step" into the online dating, so people get more confortable with the idea of meeting a new person online without feeling like a loser.

Tinder is owned by the same company that owns Match.com and other dating services.

They have plans of monetizing Tinder via ads, but right now, they are using Tinder as "the first step" into the online dating, so people get more confortable with the idea of meeting a new person online without feeling like a loser.

As someone who has used this app a fuck ton, I had no idea of this. I always wondered how the hell they made or planned on making money. I just assumed they mined me for data, and I didn't give a shit it was worth it if they did haha.

Just one more match before midnight and I'll hit 200 in a week.

Nelo Ice

Banned
As someone who has used this app a fuck ton, I had no idea of this. I always wondered how the hell they made or planned on making money. I just assumed they mined me for data, and I didn't give a shit it was worth it if they did haha.

Well fuck 200 in a week!?. Yep I need to revamp my profile pics.

TheWriter

Well fuck, so this one girl kept hitting on me and was the first one to ask me out after a couple of messages. Now we're arranging a date ... and I'm completely flabbergasted and clueless. Also, the nice, warm feeling of panic dawns on me. That shit with confidence really worked out ... in text.
I need something to keep my nerves calm when the date happens. Any tips on that? Non-smoker/non-weed-user here, so that's out of the window.
Fuck, oh gawd.

WJD

Not up to Henry's level but I managed I've managed 192 in 2 weeks so far which is pretty decent going considering my "city" is tiny. Few accidental swipes have needed to be culled though.

aceface

Well fuck, so this one girl kept hitting on me and was the first one to ask me out after a couple of messages. Now we're arranging a date ... and I'm completely flabbergasted and clueless. Also, the nice, warm feeling of panic dawns on me. That shit with confidence really worked out ... in text.
I need something to keep my nerves calm when the date happens. Any tips on that? Non-smoker/non-weed-user here, so that's out of the window.
Fuck, oh gawd.

Go out for drinks?

Fuck, oh gawd.

Take care of the little buddy downstairs before the date?

vdlow

TWO HUNDRED!?!? Fuck, if I reach this number in a year I'll be happy.

I've got the info about Tinder's business model from this article, it's a good read. http://www.businessweek.com/article...rts-with-ads-is-it-worth-millions-or-billions

Jaffaboy

Somehow this process of pick-up worked. I think i may try it with every match I get.

Thanks for that line, it's perfect! Flirty, yet not too cheesy and it works. Had my first actual conversation on this app that went past three sentences, and she's very cute too!

Henry is the god of LA, if there is a god for LA.

200 in a week. What does your profile look like?

:p

http://i.imgur.com/WOUhERFl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BHgz6lql.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0BI2J4ul.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tIOU6E3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PhwkJ2jl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4B6fHPWl.jpg

He's also not picky.

jk

LOL I did delete like 1-2 dozen that I absolutely should have swiped left on. I always feel bad if they match and message me right away when I never would have swiped right on them had I not been swiping too fast haha

He's also relatively attractive.

Gracias, it helps having lost 35 pounds haha.

Well Henry is also in a highly populated city, aren't you Henry?

I am in a highly populated city yeah, I think this week was a little higher than normal I probably get 50-75 less than that usually. I was in the OC last weekend so I had a new pool to work with for saturday and I know I got like 50 from down there. Usually I just keep it to a 10 mile radius that added like a whole extra set of people.

TWO HUNDRED!?!? Fuck, if I reach this number in a year I'll be happy.

I've got the info about Tinder's business model from this article, it's a good read. http://www.businessweek.com/article...rts-with-ads-is-it-worth-millions-or-billions

Interesting read thanks.

So I have one more tinder date tonight, in like 4 hours, but other than that all those matches don't matter too much. Been pretty bored with it, and really like the girl I went out with last night. So I'm gunna date these two girls for a bit and hopefully get off the tinder train. I just like swiping, its fun lol.

vdlow

Today I was bored and decided to try OKCupid because I don't know. It's... interesting, but there's no way to compare, Tinder is a fun thing, OKCupid feels like an obligation. I don't know but I don't think I'll go back to OKCupid soon. Tinder for life.

Hell, even I'd swipe right if I saw you and I'm straight, bro.

Weekend Tinder game been going pretty good so far. I deleted one of my pictures and so far every match I've gotten is at least a 6/10 in my book. It's weird that they don't really respond, but I guess they're bombarded with messages.

Does anyone have any guidelines on how to open with conversation besides small talk bullshit (how was your weekend, what're you doing tonight, etc.) A friend of mine tells me its best to try to get their number or WhatsApp info/number early on.

Weekend Tinder game been going pretty good so far. I deleted one of my pictures and so far every match I've gotten is at least a 6/10 in my book. It's weird that they don't really respond, but I guess they're bombarded with messages.

Does anyone have any guidelines on how to open with conversation besides small talk bullshit (how was your weekend, what're you doing tonight, etc.) A friend of mine tells me its best to try to get their number or WhatsApp info/number early on.

If they have anything in their bio then bring up something about that. Otherwise hopefully they have a photo doing something other than out in a nice dress or in front of a mirror.

If theres no visual or bio information available at all, then well it's tough. There's not much else to say unless there's something interesting and relevant that you can bring up. Like when we had the eclipse.

Usually you can figure out something they are interested in or do based on their profile to comment on and ask them about.

vdlow

My first option is talk about some shared interest or something in the bio that caught my attention. If there's no shared interest or no bio, I talk about some physical aspect that I like, such as the smile or the eyes.

But since only two girls answered me, I think it's not a good idea to follow my ideas.

Izayoi

Banned
That's fine. Some girls will just never reply, don't dwell on it.

Your best bet is volume. Cast a wide net and you're bound to catch something eventually.

Message and move on.

:p

http://i.imgur.com/WOUhERFl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BHgz6lql.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0BI2J4ul.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tIOU6E3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PhwkJ2jl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4B6fHPWl.jpg

LOL I did delete like 1-2 dozen that I absolutely should have swiped left on. I always feel bad if they match and message me right away when I never would have swiped right on them had I not been swiping too fast haha

Gracias, it helps having lost 35 pounds haha.

I am in a highly populated city yeah, I think this week was a little higher than normal I probably get 50-75 less than that usually. I was in the OC last weekend so I had a new pool to work with for saturday and I know I got like 50 from down there. Usually I just keep it to a 10 mile radius that added like a whole extra set of people.

Interesting read thanks.

So I have one more tinder date tonight, in like 4 hours, but other than that all those matches don't matter too much. Been pretty bored with it, and really like the girl I went out with last night. So I'm gunna date these two girls for a bit and hopefully get off the tinder train. I just like swiping, its fun lol.

You are one sexy motherfucker.

I am a little bit jealous.

y2dvd

Currently got a chat going on and I just opened up with "Hello there. :)" lol. I'm guessing if it's a match, there were already some attraction there so some line isn't necessary, where as on OKC, you may have to open up with an interesting message to catch their attention.

potam

Banned
So tell me if I did a reasonable thing or if it was just my shyness getting in the way:

Girl invited me to go out to the bars with her and her friends tonight. I decided to not go for a few reasons: a) the bars are in the yuppy/douchebag part of the city, and all those bars were more than likely to be filled with fratbros, b) I've never met her in person, and the last thing I want to do is go meet some stranger and a bunch of her friends and hope to God I fit in, and c) need to get them Diablo 3 legendaries.

So basically, I have no problem meeting people one on one, but I figure there is too much risk of awkwardness trying to pop in on a group. Is that normal?

So tell me if I did a reasonable thing or if it was just my shyness getting in the way:

Girl invited me to go out to the bars with her and her friends tonight. I decided to not go for a few reasons: a) the bars are in the yuppy/douchebag part of the city, and all those bars were more than likely to be filled with fratbros, b) I've never met her in person, and the last thing I want to do is go meet some stranger and a bunch of her friends and hope to God I fit in, and c) need to get them Diablo 3 legendaries.

So basically, I have no problem meeting people one on one, but I figure there is too much risk of awkwardness trying to pop in on a group. Is that normal?

Gotta do what you gotta do, but I hope to god you didn't say the Diablo 3 reason...

Going alone is actually the best way to go to bars. That way you can leave without any baggage to worry about.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Easy and short: Are you happy you didn't got or do you 'secretly' wish you did? That's your answer.

I used to think exactly like that, until I realized there's no "douchebag" part of a city. It's arrogant and egoistical to think there would be, and usually thinking this way is just an excuse to stay home: Also, if c) is more important to you at this point, and I mean in all honesty, then staying home was probably the best decision.

potam

Banned
Gotta do what you gotta do, but I hope to god you didn't say the Diablo 3 reason...

Going alone is actually the best way to go to bars. That way you can leave without any baggage to worry about.

lol no. It was also raining earlier and I'm watching my friend's dog, so that also played a big part.

Easy and short: Are you happy you didn't got or do you 'secretly' wish you did? That's your answer.

I used to think exactly like that, until I realized there's no "douchebag" part of a city. It's arrogant and egoistical to think there would be, and usually thinking this way is just an excuse to stay home: Also, if c) is more important to you at this point, and I mean in all honesty, then staying home was probably the best decision.

No, I'm happy I didn't go, but I think the chances of actually meeting up with this chick are dwindling fast. And there actually is a douchebag part of town. If you ask anyone in Atlanta what kind of people go to the bars in Buckhead, they will all give you pretty much the same answer.

diablo was a joke :(

Izayoi

Banned
You missed out on an opportunity. Doesn't matter how many douchebags there are, you missed your chance to get lucky.

You can keep making up excuses for it, or you can put yourself out there and give it a shot! You'll never know unless you try. :)

---

I just made plans to spend the a whole day and night at a lady's house next Thursday... Should be fun. :>

I also have plans for Saturday night... Just need to fill out Friday and I'll be golden.

Had 20 matches today... Friday night was a little more active, got about 30 then. Good weekend so far!

Dmax3901

So me and a female friend have started using this as an 'experiment' (not in denial I swear) and it's been very interesting to see the difference in our experiences.

We both used the same quote from the IT Crowd as our bio, it goes like this:

"Shut up. Do what I tell you. I'm not interested. These are just some of the things you'll be hearing if you answer this ad. I'm an idiot and I don't care about anyone but myself. P.S. No dogs!"

Needless to say she's had a lot more success than me. I have to chuckle every time I swipe right to a girl with a dog in her photo.

You have that deer-in-headlights look. Watch this video from a famous portrait photographer about how to use your eyes to look more confident.

Thanks for posting this vid mate. This is life changing. I now feel far more relaxed when being photographed and the photos are much better for it. I always felt I never photographed well but using the technique in this video has made me appear much more photogenic and not looking so "scared" of the camera.

I would love to use Tinder but have yet to get a smartphone. Will be getting one soon as I would love to try this. I have done online dating before and am currently on Adult Match Maker but I really hate paying, Tinder seems like the happy medium

Solo

You rejected her. And for pretty awful reasons ("douchey part of town"?, really?). You are cooked and don't be surprised if she doesn't give you another chance.

Necrovex

My friend struck gold last night. He rebooted his Tindr with only two pictures, one selfie while on a sky tram (no smile), and another leaning and giving a thumbs up near a kangaroo. He rebooted his profile at 8 pm last night, and he obtained 53 matches with fine-looking women. Tinder-Gaf, if you have an amusement park/zoo, give this a try! He's only above-average looking, before anyone asks.

Newlove

I use a desktop app player called 'Blue Stacks' to go on Tinder, and a GPS location app on there to get it to work. I have a few matches, but I feel it should be more consider how many swipes I've gone through over time. I wonder whether I don't appear when I'm not running the program. If your phone is off would you not appear? I should leave it running in the background in the day.

Matugi

I use a desktop app player called 'Blue Stacks' to go on Tinder, and a GPS location app on there to get it to work. I have a few matches, but I feel it should be more consider how many swipes I've gone through over time. I wonder whether I don't appear when I'm not running the program. If your phone is off would you not appear? I should leave it running in the background in the day.

It happens. Women tend to be a lot more selective on the app than men. There's actually a really funny youtube video about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zdwexQVKE

potam

Banned
Thinking about fuckin the game up and swapping in a new profile pic, is this one any good?
Note: I'm sitting all weird because it took her about 30 seconds to figure the phone out and I was getting tired of leaning in

lOe79G8.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thinking about fuckin the game up and swapping in a new profile pic, is this one any good?
Note: I'm sitting all weird because it took her about 30 seconds to figure the phone out and I was getting tired of leaning in

I think it's a bad idea to have the initial picture have multiple people since it makes them guess immediately.

Replicant

It depends on what you told her. If you told her that you want to meet her but feels uncomfortable with too many other people around then you may still have a chance. BUT you'd have to be the one who initiate the next plan by asking her out to go out somewhere.

y2dvd

Success! I got a date. Can't say I've had many matches at all but I've been clicking with this one girl so that's good enough for now lol.

Here's my main pic.
http://imgur.com/pfxRgX2

It is a selfie and I think you guys said it's frowned upon so I may have to switch it up.

I'd like to think I'm not ugly, but who knows? I've had okay success, usually a couple of matches a day, but they're usually overweight. I subscribe to the swipe right on everything method, which could bet problem. But here goes nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/CtGIMSr.jpg

You shouldn't have any issues dude. Just change your photo asap. It's kinda dark and you don't look friendly, also the way you're sort of leaning into the frame is awkward.

Just get something front on, and smile. Like I said to the guy below. If you can't get a friend tot ale a photo outside or doing something, just use your front facing camera and go do something. More important smile. Also fix your posture, you can do much better than your photo.

Success! I got a date. Can't say I've had many matches at all but I've been clicking with this one girl so that's good enough for now lol.

Here's my main pic.
http://imgur.com/pfxRgX2

It is a selfie and I think you guys said it's frowned upon so I may have to switch it up.

I don't think selfie is a bad idea but not like that anyway. Just the front facing camera, get in closer and look happier, get more light as well. be outside or out somewhere.

You guys have a lot of self confidence showing in your photos, which is why it works for you. Wouldn't work for someone like me. =[

Top Bottom