• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredderi

I haven't tried tinder

image.php

I Read this in the character's voice.

Ok, that's a good point. However I can just see some of my homegirls blushing if some cute guy said that to them though, and them flirting along shaking their breasts saying, "What? You mean these old things". LOL

Just because your homegirls are okay with it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do or say.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
A bad troll? A creepy person? Really? Funny, I have none of these issues in real life.

Of course, I think it's tacky for somebody to say it, but I don't think every woman would take offense and some may consider it a compliment.

If you disagree, cool.

Deal with it, rather than making assumptions and labeling somebody something they're not.
The situations that you are imagining are much more flirtatious and consensual then the situations that actually occur.

Well online dating is where deal breakers become easily enforceable. People aren't making initial decisions based on your charms abd charisma.

Afrocious

Lol @ thinking what Cindy is saying is confusing.

She's right.

Before I respond to Harson, let me tell you all that it sucks ass to be liked simply for what features you have and not what you bring outside of that.

Call me soft or w/e but I've been with women who just wanted a black man, or a black man who is tall, or a black man who is educated. And that's it. I mean I appreciate the thought but I like to think I have more things to give than those features.

shit as someone who has been outright rejected for not being white, i still think this

I'm short and proud of it. I also don't understand the appeal of online dating. I've been casually browsing the online dating thread here and everything I read says online dating is toxic and useless.

I read an article a while ago about how online dating would destroy someone's confidence. I mainly read about online dating for entertainment. All the horror cringe stories are fun to read.

harSon

Banned
I was just talking about enjoying old school hip hop on Tinder, and this girl had the nerve to say "I love old school stuff, like physical news papers."

N.Domixis

Banned
Is that thing safe!? :O

There are always risks when doing surgery like these. Infections for example. But the toughest thing about this is the pain. Pain medications slow bone growth so you can't take strong ones. You need to sleep well for healthy bone growth but will be a challenge when you have raw bone nailed to the metal braces. But 3 inches would be a dream to me it may be worth it.

AnAnole

I would just like to say as a gay dude - they're just as picky.

It's a human thing, not a man or a woman thing.

If men are just as picky, then why did I get over a 100 undolicited messages in one day when I made a Grindr profile? On Tindee, I average a few non bot matches per day (apparently that's pretty good). OKC did a study and found that women are much pickier basically, there is no middle ground with women. This is basic evolutionary biology, you only need 1 dude to get hundreds of women prrgnant.

Afrocious

I'm short and proud of it. I also don't understand the appeal of online dating. I've been casually browsing the online dating thread here and everything I read says online dating is toxic and useless.

I read an article a while ago about how online dating would destroy someone's confidence. I mainly read about online dating for entertainment. All the horror cringe stories are fun to read.

It's not toxic or useless, at least no more than dating without using them.

I met good folks from online dating. Some girls I've been with are my friends now.

AlexBasch

I stopped using Tinder because of the height stuff. Found out that most women post their "minimum height" which is way above mine.

See, I have been made fun of most of my adult life for being 1.68m. I sure don't need to be exposed that way and rather would like to meet people in person. If they like me, despite being a short guy, awesome, if not, their loss.

When every woman you've ever hit on in person has had a boyfriend/husband it kind of helps knowing that the person you're thumb typing to is at least fucking single. There's a fucking 50/50 chance that the bitch is fucking psychotic but at least you know her fucking man ain't going to come after you.

Afrocious

I'm being 100% honest. It depends what you're trying to get out of Tinder. For me, I'm just trying to meet cool people and if things go past that, then I'm 100% down. If that's your goal, it's all about numbers. And the best way to get numbers is to maximize your matches by swiping right on everyone, and beyond that - removing the swipe limit. I pretty much do my filtering after I've actually chatted with the person. Like I said, if I went purely on pictures and profiles - I would have missed out on some dope ass people. So I tend to keep an open mind until after I've actually had a chance to have a conversation with someone.

Dammit.

I already tried OKC A-list for a year. That was nice but ultimately it was stalkerish and I can't say it was completely worth it.

funny, since you seem to be on the side of making assumptions about labeling fake boobs when they're not

like just take the L and move on b

What? I made an argument how I could see it as compliment. Other posters showed me how it's not. I recognized and could see their viewpoints and then made a joke. A poster than made a huge jump and labeled me a creep and troll. Of course I'm going to defend myself. Some Gaf members seem to have an issue disagreeing with people without outright insulting them.

Just because your homegirls are okay with it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do or say.

I never said it was a good thing to say. It's tacky. Just like a bunch of other tacky things people say to each other. For instance, If I'm out with my twin brother, and there's a girl with big breasts; I've looked down at her breasts and jokingly said, "I see we ain't the only twins up in here". It's tacky as hell. I know it. The way I deliver it is said in such a silly way, that most girls laugh, and it immediately breaks the ice in us getting to know each other because most people out in public don't take themselves that seriously.

The situations that you are imagining are much more flirtatious and consensual then the situations that actually occur.
Ok, this may be the disconnect. I'm assuming somebody saying it is trying to flirt with her.

Shredderi

Lmfao.

Lol @ thinking what Cindy is saying is confusing.

She's right.

There was just one part of her text that was confusing/wrong. Other than that it was pretty on point even if harsh. Can't and never really intended to argue with those points. This thread was never about whether it's right or allowed to filter men out for their height. Of course it's allowed and of course it's within everyone's rights. People just vent about it sucking, which it does if you are short enough to be filtered out by many many women, if women is what you're after.

People can't take an L without being salty. That's literally all it is.

Well of course. When the L in question is "have considerably less opportunities than other people who had more luck with their genes" it can sting. People get over it in time but they won't do so with smiles say "GGWP".

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
They break your legs, put screws or shunts in and when the bone heals it's longer.
Jebus that sounds painful. Makes me wonder if your legs can make full recovery after something like that. I love exercise and outdoor activities too much to possibly weaken my legs for a little bit of extra height.

KingV

I don't give a fuck. I'm not dating a man shorter than me. You don't like it, you deal with it. Find a woman way shorter than you then or make yourself interesting enough that I want to date you. I'm 5'4 and my rule to not date any man shorter than that, which isn't common to begin with. If you're 5'8, whatever. As long as you're taller than me. Aesthetically, I prefer a man between 5'8 to 6'2. For me, there's a thing such as being too tall.

My thing is why do a lot of men think they can get a girl just by being a man? Like I'm obligated to be interested in you just because you're a man. Better step the fuck up to the plate. If you're being rejected for your height, look for girls that are shorter than you or become interesting enough where your height isn't a turn off. I'm not saying you have to be Prince or anything, but jeez.

My main question is: what the fuck do you have to offer? I hope I have something to offer to you as well. I hope I'm interesting enough for you to want to know me more. So why would I not have the same expectation out of a man I date?

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about any of this and I'm happily taken.

People are sensitive to this because it's something that they have no power to change about themselves. It's no different (for short people) than coming across a bunch of profiles that say "No black guys" or "White Guys Only". Tall people don't tend to give a shit, because it doesn't affect them.

That said, I'm pretty sure a large number of people on GAF would call a guy shallow for saying "Don't contact me if you have BMI >20" (roughly the same prevalence as being 6'+).

Online, I think women are far more shallow than guys because they can be since there are so many more men on these sites, but I also know a lot of those same women who have been on match.com forever and complain about never meeting anyone worth a shit.

It is what it is, and there's not much you can do about it. At the same time, it's way less of a problem in real life. It just means maybe online dating isn't the best way to meet a chick if you're short (or black, or chubby, or whatever).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lol my legs are already long. Id look freaky with that surgery. 5"10. There's always someone taller than you.

It was made for me, though. One girl I got with was two inches shorter than me but her legs were almost five inches longer than mine.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not short, just a few cm's bellow the magic 1.80...

Jebus that sounds painful. Makes me wonder if your legs can make full recovery after something like that. I love exercise and outdoor activities too much to possibly weaken my legs for a little bit of extra height.

Yep, and I bike to work every day.

IMO if you're a short guy just own it. It really shouldn't be too much of a problem for you to get pussy.

This. You should only worry about and focus on the things you can change, not the ones you can't.

If you're around people that work in film, music, tv industries, it's fascinating how short the male artists and actors are.

Portugeezer

People are sensitive to this because it's something that they have no power to change about themselves. It's no different (for short people) than coming across a bunch of profiles that say "No black guys" or "White Guys Only". Tall people don't tend to give a shit, because it doesn't affect them.

That said, I'm pretty sure a large number of people on GAF would call a guy shallow for saying "Don't contact me if you have BMI >20" (roughly the same prevalence as being 6'+).

Online, I think women are far more shallow than guys because they can be since there are so many more men on these sites, but I also know a lot of those same women who have been on match.com forever and complain about never meeting anyone worth a shit.

It is what it is, and there's not much you can do about it. At the same time, it's way less of a problem in real life. It just means maybe online dating isn't the best way to meet a chick if you're short (or black, or chubby, or whatever).

For sure, men generally have lower standards.

When every woman you've ever hit on in person has had a boyfriend/husband it kind of helps knowing that the person you're thumb typing to is at least fucking single. There's a fucking 50/50 chance that the bitch is fucking psychotic but at least you know her fucking man ain't going to come after you.

What makes you think some of the girls there don't have a man behind them?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
This. You should only worry about and focus on the things you can change, not the ones you can't.

If you're around people that work in film, music, tv industries, it's fascinating how short the male artists and actors are.
Well seems like you can change height now. We got the technology!!!

A bad troll? A creepy person? Really? Funny, I have none of these issues in real life.

Of course, I think it's tacky for somebody to say it, but I don't think every woman would take offense and some may consider it a compliment.

If you disagree, cool.

Deal with it, rather than making assumptions and labeling somebody something they're not.

Ionno... you went on about how calling a woman's fake boobs is a compliment. That is creepy.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?! Bruh, women are held to such ridiculous beauty standards. I'm sure a lot of men (including GAF members) wouldn't date a chubby woman. Heck, there's been ridiculous discussions mostly between men about why woman should shave. I bet you that 9/10 men who say they can't get laid don't even give most women a shot because they're not perfect enough 'cause it's super fucking easy to get laid (with and without paying).

Shredderi

I think I should go to sleep it's fucking 5:30AM here lol. Like always, it's been interesting topic to talk about. I'mma go dream about chocolate donuts.

If it's something you can't change why not own it? People are going to reject you. It's gonna happen. While on Ok Cupid the other month before I met my man, I talked to a guy on there and he said he couldn't do it because a woman who lifts weights and is stronger than him intimidates him. Oh well! The fact it's something you can't change is exactly why it shouldn't bother you. Just own it and find someone who works for you.

I don't think men have lower standards, they have wider options.

Ionno... you went on about how calling a woman's fake boobs is a compliment. That is creepy.

I said I could see how the intent was meant to be compliment, but acknowledged how tacky it was as well as agreed with dissenting viewpoints including yours.

Social interactions can be awkward and sloppy at times and different people have different boundaries, not to mention different exceptions for different people saying the same thing. It's complicated.

First I've heard of it. Don't men usually opine how women have lower standards and will go for an average guy as long as he's funny?

Lots of "women will go for a fat guy but a guy won't go for a fat girl" talk even on these very boards.

Clockwork5

Tinder is for superficial people who want to fuck other superficial people.

Let their self esteem be knocked down a peg. It's probably good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom