• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

HelloMeow

Also matchmaking is still starting games without a full lobby. how hard is it to wait till we have a full lobby before you start the game?

That isn't an issue in and of itself. I think its fine to start a game when it's 5v5. It becomes an issue when the teams are lopsided, or when it's 3v3 and the game becomes a ghost town.

That isn't an issue in and of itself. I think its fine to start a game when it's 5v5. It becomes an issue when the teams are lopsided, or when it's 3v3 and the game becomes a ghost town.

Not in pilot skirmish maps are too big with less than 16 players. Played a game of 4 v 4 and I almost fell asleep. These maps just don't work without the titans. Skirmish needs it's own map pack to really work properly.

No idea what the FUCK you guys are talking about. This mode is insanely fast paced, people parkouring everywhere. Though, you now notice how bad people are at aiming and strafing... so bad.

And yes there are more snipers now than before but usually only on the bigger maps. I'm still dominating playing the same style i do in CTF.

Overall, it's not a bad mode and i welcome it. I, however, would love to see a 8v8 skirmish CTF =) god that'd be so good.

Went 28-7 my first match.
[img=http://s23.postimg.org/tspvv2td3/IMG_2535.jpg]

8 v 8 and respawning after death feels like a roll of the dice, I have spawned with more or less an opponent in my crosshair, and i've spawned a second before a grenade blew my face off.

Izuna

Banned
Gunna give the new 8v8 a try...

EDIT: HAHAHAH 2v1 on the 8v8 mode.

8v8 mode is completely shit.

EDIT: Why is 8v8 shit? Because there is no real purpose in moving around fast anymore -- despite wallrunning it feels like CoD -- and even when 3.0KD and MVP the game can be massively lost because someone has Map Hack.

There is basically no point using anything other than Carbine (yes, Carbone) because the lack of minions means the C.A.R. makes no sense as you should never be in areas you haven't done your best to scout out. Hemlock doesn't really work because believe it or not, the fact that there are 8 opponents with Starburst you have to reload a ton and that gets you murdered.

Also it would have made sense if the game didn't make you pick a Titan loadout...

Anyway, just goes to show that the dynamic of having Titans is important. 8v8 feels like Lost Planet multiplayer without Mechs.

cluto

I've only played two matches, but I like Pilot Skirmish a lot. It cuts out a significant chunk of the annoying bullshit; smart pistols, satchel charges, and arc mines are still ever-prevalent, but in my experience, mobility still dominates. The mode isn't great on Boneyard, and I anticipate it won't be great on the other maps designed to favor titans (like Fracture), but for the most part my parkourmanship is finally paying off.

Ji66a-Man

First match in Pilot Skirmish:
b4ZvVdW.jpg

orz

I had more DMR's actually.

I think the mode can be good, but they need to get the bigger maps out of the rotation. I played skirmish on War Games and it was awesome.

hmmm... i dunno. i don't like some of the small maps for this. it's too much, you're getting shot at from every angle so you almost can't run around. I don't get these complaints about "big maps" when you can parkour across an entire map in seconds.

A fucking slaughter.
jNYaljSl.jpg

Wow is this mode terrible. It's right up there with LTS as consistently least enjoyable all around. I doubt this one will stick around. It's just so terrible. Aimbots must be back in style lol.

Mr Croft

I thought this game time would be good... But its low tier. The GODBINE (carbine) is everywhere on that game type. Kids camping with arc mines while adsing and using the perk that lets them see through walls. Smh... Oh well back to Diablo

Played the new mode one time with some brehs tonight.. first game in weeks due to Diablo and Madden.

Not a fan. Maybe it was just rust, maybe not. But fuck that mode. Most of the maps don't even seem like they'd be designed well for it.

Lima

This just proves that you should not listen to the vocal minority that screamed for a Titan-less game type. It simply doesn't work in Titanfall and more importantly it's not fun.

Hip Hop

Maybe you guys just suck at it and it's why you dislike it?

I'm kidding

I seriously need to get to it, really want to try it out.

I thought this game time would be good... But its low tier. The GODBINE (carbine) is everywhere on that game type.

And? What's the problem? There's a crazy ton of snipers and even some C.A.R. So, I don't get why THIS is a problem to people. Do you get mad in Halo when everyone is rocking a BR? I don't get it.

The gametype is fine. It really separates the boys from the men in terms of who is actually capable of wielding a carbine effectively and who can move from one spot to the next super quick.

Cloak is annoying but only because a lot of people seem to think that's the best way to play, and i'm fine with it because they tend to sit around and let the game slip by them. Cloak+silencer campers can get obnoxious but only on the smaller maps. Bigger maps they suffer with that combo.

Maybe you guys just suck at it and it's why you dislike it?

I'm kidding

I seriously need to get to it, really want to try it out.

No, actually sometimes this is true. People feel like if they can't succeed in a game, or mode, it has to be the game that is broken or the mode that isn't catered to their skill sets. This happens all the time with the general crowd. It's always the games fault they got crushed, not because they aren't very good or that there's people out there that have mastered the game more than them. People like to get on the game and do just fine without little to no actual playtime, and that's ok, there's games for those people. That's not the type of game i like to play, i like to play something i can dominate at if i put time into it.

Again, i'm not talking about everyone, or even people here but it's something i have noticed since days of getting on Xbox Connect with Halo 1. It was always "man the pistol is too much" then it was "the br is too much", gears it was "the shotgun is too much, this is stupid".

Titanfall is pretty balanced.

Omega

Banned
This game mode apparently turned the game into a shitty call of duty. You saw that video some PC gamer posted where every console gamer had their minds blown? Yeah, that's supposed to be Titanfall.

Oh and the difference between a BR and a Carbine is that one is a utility weapon in a game where there are better weapons that can be picked up that make that utility weapon not so useful. the other is the best close range, medium range, long range and anti-titan

weapon.

This just proves that you should not listen to the vocal minority that screamed for a Titan-less game type. It simply doesn't work in Titanfall and more importantly it's not fun.

Better option is to listen to the people that actually play your game. Apparently that's a difficult concept when it comes to developing games, because everyone outside of Valve just tells their fans to fuck off.

The only people that asked for this are the people that never even played it, or played it and didn't like it because it wasn't CoD.

tauke

Ok finally played three rounds of Pilot Skirmish and as IzunaDono mentioned, my first impression of the new mode.

Cons
- 2 vs 1. (Ok I'm with a Gen 1 while the enemy is Gen 7 who swears a lot). Ghost town for 10 mins (and effing hate Map Hack as you are blind to the enemy who happily Smart Pistol the whole round).

Guess what since my side is 2 vs 1, matchmaking says let's throw 4 more players to the other poor fella. So it's 2 vs 5 for another 3 mins... Then it's time to throw me 3 more players to my team! Hurray!

Well matchmaking also throw in another 3 more players to the enemy team. So it's 5 vs 8 throughout the game. Got so lazy to screenshot the result since it is my first Pilot Skirmish match.

- The map is way too big for 8 vs 8.

- Also banned Smart Pistol in this mode. Way too many people abuse it and luckily for the last match I play, everyone agreed to not use Smart Pistol and if someone do use it, we'll just target that person for not obeying the rule.

Pros
- Dear Respawn. I don't know what sacrifice you guys made but the terrible ping I encounter for the past 4 weeks has been solved! /throws confetti
- Noticeable performance improvement. Rarely it actually drop to 40fps like it used to be. Again I don't know how many kittens have been sacrificed for the performance improvement.
- Matchmaking can be kind to me like the following screenshot show:

oY1Zxpq.jpg

At least matchmaking factor in my epic loss in the previous round and decided to throw a 6 vs 5 throughout the match. Really fun and not lopsided when it works.

Although, please please please don't throw players when the match is going end either by score or timer. The screenshot above clearly shows that.

This game mode apparently turned the game into a shitty call of duty. You saw that video some PC gamer posted where every console gamer had their minds blown? Yeah, that's supposed to be Titanfall.

Oh and the difference between a BR and a Carbine is that one is a utility weapon in a game where there are better weapons that can be picked up that make that utility weapon not so useful. the other is the best close range, medium range, long range and anti-titan

weapon.

Better option is to listen to the people that actually play your game. Apparently that's a difficult concept when it comes to developing games, because everyone outside of Valve just tells their fans to fuck off.

The only people that asked for this are the people that never even played it, or played it and didn't like it because it wasn't CoD.

Umm... what? Did you just tell me that the BR is just a utility weapon? It's the starting weapon in a game where only the other pick me ups worth a damn are the rocket launcher and sniper, which are power weapons you pick up while still carrying the BR. Regardless, that wasn't the point i was trying to make anyway. What i was replying to was Mr Crofts complaint that everyone was using a carbine. There's nothing wrong with that. Still, the Carbine does not beat the longbow at long range, it does not beat the C.A.R at close range. It can, but it's not the best option for either scenario.

Better option to listen to people that play the game? Like you? People were going crazy that there weren't enough modes. Now they add a mode a good amount of people wanted and you're up in arms? Why? Don't play it. There's other modes to play. The mode pisses on COD. COD is running around in almost a circular fashion in insanely small maps getting the jump on people. This is not like that at all.

keezy

Played the new mode one time with some brehs tonight.. first game in weeks due to Diablo and Madden.

Not a fan. Maybe it was just rust, maybe not. But fuck that mode. Most of the maps don't even seem like they'd be designed well for it.

I feel the same way. It seems like all the action is happening in one section of the map. People were just camping in a building and you'd go run in flush them out. Die. Respawn. Then go back to the same spot.

First match of 8v8 was fun, Angel City..

Second match my last death was to guy camping with satchel charges in a remote part of the map.

No thanks.

Newlove

I was getting freezing for a few seconds just before starting a match and when you go back to the scoreboard in the lobby. Is that a common issue post patch?

Z3M0G

Looking forward to playing some tonight on PC.

Are the connection issues resolved?

Are people still playing the regular modes, now that this Pilot only mode is not stealing away all the players after all?

Tomash

I was getting freezing for a few seconds just before starting a match and when you go back to the scoreboard in the lobby. Is that a common issue post patch?

I've had freezing issues and member Diablohead has also reported the same issues.

There is some new sound effects to me that didn't happened in prior update. Although I appreciate the new dialog that inform the players on the progress of the match.
Yeah, new dialog is refreshing to hear. I hear a lot of unlock sounds at the lobby though.

tauke

Looking forward to playing some tonight on PC.

Are the connection issues resolved?

Are people still playing the regular modes, now that this Pilot only mode is not stealing away all the players after all?

This is pretty situational though. Before this update, my ping is so bad (like 300+ ping to my nearest data center even though it is reported as below 50ms in the main menu) and I just give up.

Thankfully the ping issue has been resolved with the latest update for me. Plus the game runs steady at 60fps for most of the time which is another great update (running GTX 780 at max settings except texture at Very High).

HelloMeow

This is pretty situational though. Before this update, my ping is so bad (like 300+ ping to my nearest data center even though it is reported as below 50ms in the main menu) and I just give up.

Maybe it couldn't find enough players on your data center before. I think It will look for games on other data centers if it can't.

Mr Croft

and? What's the problem? There's a crazy ton of snipers and even some C.A.R. So, I don't get why THIS is a problem to people. Do you get mad in Halo when everyone is rocking a BR? I don't get it.

The gametype is fine. It really separates the boys from the men in terms of who is actually capable of wielding a carbine effectively and who can move from one spot to the next super quick.

Cloak is annoying but only because a lot of people seem to think that's the best way to play, and i'm fine with it because they tend to sit around and let the game slip by them. Cloak+silencer campers can get obnoxious but only on the smaller maps. Bigger maps they suffer with that combo.

No, actually sometimes this is true. People feel like if they can't succeed in a game, or mode, it has to be the game that is broken or the mode that isn't catered to their skill sets. This happens all the time with the general crowd. It's always the games fault they got crushed, not because they aren't very good or that there's people out there that have mastered the game more than them. People like to get on the game and do just fine without little to no actual playtime, and that's ok, there's games for those people. That's not the type of game i like to play, i like to play something i can dominate at if i put time into it.

Again, i'm not talking about everyone, or even people here but it's something i have noticed since days of getting on Xbox Connect with Halo 1. It was always "man the pistol is too much" then it was "the br is too much", gears it was "the shotgun is too much, this is stupid".

Titanfall is pretty balanced.

how the hell do you compare the BR to the godbine. How the hell do you a comparison of halo to titanfall! You cannot be serious right now? You just cant lol. A burst fire weapon that requires considerable skill to use to a weapon that is rapid fire that kills damn near instantly and from outrageous range for a rapid fire weapon ... Nice try... Who do you play with game with? Because it seems you play Gen 1s all day who run with their heads down.

you say it seprates the boys from the men in terms of "who can wield the carbine effectively" da fuq the game type should boil down to who can run one weapon well by using a tier perk that allows you to see through walls lol. This gametype strips everything that makes titanfall fun and turns it into a faster cod. You just haven't seen the players camping with arc mines and using whatever that perk is.

I still "succeed" (whatever that is supposed to mean) in this mode. My K/d hasn't fallen and I'm still top 3 with the brehs. It just isnt a game type that shouldn't be in the game. It doesn't feel right and feels rushed.

Bydobob

Well I don't know if I was lucky but match-making is waaaay better now. Most games have been on a real knife-edge with a lot finishing 300-280+. I also seem to be matched with players of much higher skill than before. No-one had a monopoly on the MVP and few players were racking up silly scores. Hopefully this isn't a fluke and Respawn have finally cracked it.

Oh, and haven't tried the new mode yet. Has zero appeal for me.

tauke

Maybe it couldn't find enough players on your data center before. I think It will look for games on other data centers if it can't.

I'm not so sure on this as the local gaming forum who plays Titanfall do complain of the bad ping (same ISP) when connected to SEA server.

I can testify that joining EU or US server average 700+ ping before the update haha. Still strange though as I remember you join my game (was on SEA server) and you still got better ping from me. O_O

Fake edit: Other than the matchmaking changes, I notice a change in the community too aka it is getting so toxic both text and voice chat. Love hearing them raging on *#@*&$)!@(#^ Smart Pistol.

I've had freezing issues and member Diablohead has also reported the same issues.

I honestly thought my xbox one has frozen when this happened.

Most of the time the freezes are about 2 seconds long, some stutter before a match and on the scoreboard at the end in the lobby, but this one took the cake.

For the record, disc copy installed back when the game was new, have updated every time a new update was released, played the game a few times a week, first time I have run into terrible loading like this.

turcy

anybody else experiencing a huge FPS boost from the latest update?

i'm able to play at 1440p with 8xMSAA with zero hiccups.

haven't played LTS on the "chuggier" maps yet to confirm, but it's all seeming gravy so far.

tauke

anybody else experiencing a huge FPS boost from the latest update?

i'm able to play at 1440p with 8xMSAA with zero hiccups.

haven't played LTS on the "chuggier" maps yet to confirm, but it's all seeming gravy so far.

You're not the only one! I'm playing at 1080p with 16xCSAA and this update feels really solid save for one or two hiccup.

how the hell do you compare the BR to the godbine. How the hell do you a comparison of halo to titanfall! You cannot be serious right now? You just cant lol. A burst fire weapon that requires considerable skill to use to a weapon that is rapid fire that kills damn near instantly and from outrageous range for a rapid fire weapon ... Nice try... Who do you play with game with? Because it seems you play Gen 1s all day who run with their heads down.

you say it seprates the boys from the men in terms of "who can wield the carbine effectively" da fuq the game type should boil down to who can run one weapon well by using a tier perk that allows you to see through walls lol. This gametype strips everything that makes titanfall fun and turns it into a faster cod. You just haven't seen the players camping with arc mines and using whatever that perk is.

I still "succeed" (whatever that is supposed to mean) in this mode. My K/d hasn't fallen and I'm still top 3 with the brehs. It just isnt a game type that shouldn't be in the game. It doesn't feel right and feels rushed.

My point about the BR is that there's no problem in everyone using carbine/sniper because you have one to, it's like the starting weapon.

I'll say that Respawn fucked up in not making this gametype a hardcore game type with no active radar or cloak. It is a bit ridiculous, i'll agree there.

Z3M0G

I had a lot of long freezes during the one match I played. One lasted a good 3-4 seconds. Almost any time I got an enemy in my cross hair my game became a slide show.

It seemed to stabilize after a few minutes though...

Anyone else need to wait for their PC to become responsive again after exiting the game? That's a lack-of-ram problem, right? I have 4GB.

tauke

After a few more rounds with Variety pack, I still say matchmaking is broken and especially true on mode that benefit from extra players in a team like Hardpoint, CTF and LTS.

Again I'm always on the losing side that is the lesser team with 6 vs 4 throughout the match only for latecomer join in when the match is over. Then this same players will often leave the match immediately knowing they ended up in a lost match for no reason.

So the cycle continues. I can't say for Xbox One community but the matchmaking on PC just borked. This game really need server browser in the near future IMHO.

Ji66a-Man

I don't think any of the matchmaking fixes for TU6 are working for off-peak hours with a party of 6 on Xbox One. Finding a game can take up to 30 minutes or longer. The struggle to find a match in off-peak hours is real.

Top Bottom