• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

I love the game, but the issues on PC are killing it for me. I can't get it to run smoothly, there is hitching and what seem like asset loading freezes frequently.

I almost want to grab it on console and be done.

As gamers we'll always try to make things more efficient and faster. What you're describing is clever and I'm impressed someone worked it out. But it reminds me of cancelling in fighting games and it's a shame that we're talking about it. It means, as NSA alluded to, that the original method is clunky.

One could argue that there's a some tangential corollary to people learning how to handle guns more quickly by doing drills - but even as I'm typing, that's a little bit of a push.

Can you go back and forth with the equipment cycling? Or is it only D-PAD left? I feel like D-PAD right is mapped to something else but I can't remember. It would be nice to set up a 'favorite' or something, but I don't know if there is room on the layout for that.

Looked up the control scheme..

servlet.ImageServer

Ah right. Vision modes are to the right. Bino's are down. For the grenade launcher.. I'm not sure what else could be done without taking away functionality from something else. Drat. Guess we just need more buttons! I weould like to be able to select normal/thermal/NV independently rather than cycle as well, as I rarely want to see all three at the same time. But if I need to go from NV to regular and back to NV I have to see Thermal for a few seconds which isn't particularly helpful.

The RB/command options do seem laggy/poor controlled, I VERY rarely use them, other than telling the AI to regroup. Hopefully that can be fixed in a patch.

That being said.. I'm loving helo's in this game.. but fuck UNIDAD!

Flight of the Little Birds

But there is _ALWAYS_ that Ubisoft jank..

I don't even know anymore

But seriously.. this game can look downright amazing, even on the lowly Xbox One. I can't imagine it on a high end PC, or if they give it a performance boost with Scorpio.

Recon-Helo01.png

So much fun, can't get enough of this game.

Peroroncino

I wish they'd include Future Soldier outfits as a special costume or something like that, I'd gladly even pay for that. :D

Also, I'd love an option to remove our backpacks...

Oh, Ubisoft :)

Not only did I get FS outfit [for free no less!], it also doesn't have a backpack, p e r f e c t!

16796970_1429535370441631_7826585572046119281_o.jpg

I love the game, but the issues on PC are killing it for me. I can't get it to run smoothly, there is hitching and what seem like asset loading freezes frequently.

I almost want to grab it on console and be done.

Oddly enough I don't get any stutters or hitches just some really quick flashing textures when flying while locked at 60fps, unfortunately the game crashes to the desktop at random. Could be 2 hours in or 5 minutes in and it's getting really annoying when you find a great team of randoms to play with then bam it crashes

A friend just literally tossed this game at me and told me I could have it. That's... not a good sign...

I just finished Yakuza 0 so I guess this will be my next game to play... Any advice for someone that knows nothing about this game and tends to hate open world Ubisoft games?

A friend just literally tossed this game at me and told me I could have it. That's... not a good sign...

I just finished Yakuza 0 so I guess this will be my next game to play... Any advice for someone that knows nothing about this game and tends to hate open world Ubisoft games?

Its as fun as you make it really. It has lots of content, but it can get repetitive if you do that same thing every time. Seeing as you do not like open world ubisoft games, i would say you might not like this because that is exactly what this is. However if you get hooked up with some friends or fellow Gaffers, the game really starts to shine then. I have had alot of fun doing random stuff with three friends that most other games do not offer. Also the A.I teamates when playing solo are pretty good at killing things, but do lack some smart movements at times. Give it shot atleast before you chalk it up as just another open world Ubisoft game

Its as fun as you make it really. It has lots of content, but it can get repetitive if you do that same thing every time. Seeing as you do not like open world ubisoft games, i would say you might not like this because that is exactly what this is. However if you get hooked up with some friends or fellow Gaffers, the game really starts to shine then. I have had alot of fun doing random stuff with three friends that most other games do not offer. Also the A.I teamates when playing solo are pretty good at killing things, but do lack some smart movements at times. Give it shot atleast before you chalk it up as just another open world Ubisoft game

Ok, I'll give it a shot solo first and if I think I'll like it I might have to join a group since that's clearly the ideal way to play.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, this game really is MGSV on steroids. Soooo many locations to infiltrate, ways to get around, missions to do.

Having a blast so far, game is so good.

Elitist1945

Soo is the update that makes it Pro compatible out? Cuz I'm playing it right now and it doesn't look too clean or hot in my opinion.

DrBo42

Man, this game really is MGSV on steroids. Soooo many locations to infiltrate, ways to get around, missions to do.

Having a blast so far, game is so good.

That hurts my heart. Maybe the map is MGSV on steroids. Gameplay, I completely disagree. If they actually patch in useful tools like smoke grenades and more stealth options with corner takedowns and body moving it'll be competition. I'd give it some points for attack helicopters or armored vehicles like the LAV but they're ass and the aerial weapons can't even be used accurately. The ability to paradrop onto the objective or an elevated shooting position nearby is rad though.

That hurts my heart. Maybe the map is MGSV on steroids. Gameplay, I completely disagree. If they actually patch in useful tools like smoke grenades and more stealth options with corner takedowns and body moving it'll be competition. I'd give it some points for attack helicopters or armored vehicles like the LAV but they're ass and the aerial weapons can't even be used accurately. The ability to paradrop onto the objective or an elevated shooting position nearby is rad though.

I mean, I played MGSV by spotting everyone, then slowly tranq'ing them all and fultoning them back to base. Here I kill them, but they disappear, so it's basically like I fulton'd them.

It's obviously not full on stealth, and I wish they had a full-on Splinter Cell game inside this game for base invasions.. but I'm happy with the mix we got. Would be nice if they added features/functionality down the road.

The 2nd DLC is supposed to be based around your teams chopper got shot down so you have to escape on foot, so maybe they can work in more stealth options at that point. Would be nice if those new features got retroactively put into the game at large.

I LOVE vehicles.. but am kind of glad they're relatively nerfed in this game, otherwise I'd spend the whole game in an attack helo or a tank, and this gives me much more incentive to do stuff on foot.

Can anyone direct me to the cave that you have to infiltrate by boat? I saw it in one of the trailers and I want to visit it.

I am pretty sure it's on the right side of the big lake, it's literally labeled "Secret Cocaine Hideout". You can swim in too, you don't need a boat.

I have really been enjoying this. I am consistently amazed at both the size of the game world, and the beauty of it. Lifting off in a helo and seeing the mass of land all around gets me every time.

Haven't enjoyed a GR game this much since 2 on the original Xbox.

Peroroncino

Yooo that looks awesome. How did you get it?!

yo how'd you get that

What Captain Zyrain already said, it's free if you've played Future Soldier and have it linked with your Uplay [platform doesn't matter afaik], just highlight it in costumes section, hold square [or your platform equivalent] and it goes from the game to ubiclub in order to unlock it instantly, without leaving the game.

Dubz

I am having a hard time not playing this game. I really enjoy it solo after a long day at work. I usually go in stealth, and if it breaks down I run and gun. Playing on extreme difficulty makes it very tense, too. The.unlock grind is enjoyable as well.

I really hope the devs keep adding shit. I would love to play around with some heavy ground vehicles.

im constantly being surprised at the level of detail that exists in this game, there are so many little things that bring this game world to life that may be going unnoticed...

-your guns accumulate wear and tear over time which can be cleaned from the gunsmith menu
-your gear can get dirty with the color of the mud on the ground in the exact spots that it touches
-your gear will look soaked/wet when it rains
-the trees and tall grass sway realistically when flying a helo near them
-there are ambient sounds out in the forests and jungles with the sounds of trees rattling and branches breaking randomly
-the echo of the guns in different environments is really well done
-there are so many different types of animals that ive found all with unique behaviors, Ive even found llamas that spit at you if your approach them
-the interiors of most indoor areas are extremely detailed for such a large open world game
-once you clear provinces the rebels at rally points have multiple new lines of dialogue stressing the good you did and how it personally affected them
-the radio talk show makes comments about your actions as you make progress

Kadin

I am having a hard time not playing this game. I really enjoy it solo after a long day at work. I usually go in stealth, and if it breaks down I run and gun. Playing on extreme difficulty makes it very tense, too. The.unlock grind is enjoyable as well.

I really hope the devs keep adding shit. I would love to play around with some heavy ground vehicles.
I was just thinking about this, what have the devs stated so far about things to come? I know a 4x4 PvP mode is in store but what about future content? I imagine this won't have the type of developer commitment as something like The Division has, will it?

FatalT

Banned
I was just thinking about this, what have the devs stated so far about things to come? I know a 4x4 PvP mode is in store but what about future content? I imagine this won't have the type of developer commitment as something like The Division has, will it?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1349224

The Ghosts are ready to take on the Santa Blanca drug cartel on March 7, but their mission in the wilderness won’t end there – a free PvP update (featuring 4v4 team combat) is coming to Ghost Recon Wildlands after launch, along with two major paid expansions: Narco Road and Fallen Ghosts. In Narco Road, you must infiltrate a gang of smugglers and earn their leader’s trust by competing in races and challenges. Yes, you have to take them down…from the inside! Fallen Ghosts, the second major expansion for Wildlands, has your squad running from their downed helicopter to escape some powerful new enemies that are hot on their trail.

Season pass owners will receive one week early access to both expansions, as well as access to The Unidad Conspiracy Missions, The Peruvian Connection Pack, an exclusive Bolivian Minibus vehicle, and equipment packs that include outfits inspired by the Katari 26 rebels, the Unidad, and the Santa Blanca. These three themed packs also include weapons, such as an AK-47 equipped with a larger magazine, a Unidad LMG with a red dot scope and larger magazine, and the Santa Blanca golden M1911, respectively.

Finally, the Ghost Recon Wildlands Season Pass comes with a host of bonuses. Owners will receive a permanent 5% XP booster; a single-use two hour XP booster that gives a 50% boost to you and a 25% boost to players in your session; and a Ghost Recon Credits Pack with 800 credits. Additional credits can be purchased at any time to spend on cosmetic items, XP boosts, and weapons comparable to those you can find through normal gameplay.

Bollocks

Have to steal helicopter, unlocked drone bomb, hmm try it on the enemies nearby, helicopter explodes with it, mission failed.

im constantly being surprised at the level of detail that exists in this game, there are so many little things that bring this game world to life that may be going unnoticed...

-your guns accumulate wear and tear over time which can be cleaned from the gunsmith menu
-your gear can get dirty with the color of the mud on the ground in the exact spots that it touches
-there are ambient sounds out in the forests and jungles with the sounds of trees rattling and branches breaking randomly
-there are so many different types of animals that ive found all with unique behaviors, Ive even found llamas that spit at you if your approach them
-the interiors of most indoor areas are extremely detailed for such a large open world game
-once you clear provinces the rebels at rally points have multiple new lines of dialogue stressing the good you did and how it personally affected them

Aye, i really appreciate these things.

Finally got an assault rifle up to par with the LMGs (TAR-21 with 50 round magazine, long barrel, vertical grip, surpressor) and the Adv. Supression skill.

Silent, deadly enough for Unidad forces, good penetration and able to bring down choppers and vehicles without reloads.

10/10, would shoot again.

Still no PS4 network? I searched 'gaf' as network name and still turned up nothing. I'd create one myself but I'm barely even a lurker and just had a kid (baby makes three) so not sure I'd have the free time to manage it.

If we have a network I think we'll be able to see who's on and send invites from that tab in the game menu without having to manually add everyone ourselves. Also would be a good shout adding all the networks to the OP if we could do that.

I unlocked C4, but I'm not sure how to equip/use it. What do?

Left on d-pad cylces between all of your throwable items. So you will switch from frag grenades to C4. From there, push L1 to throw, hold L1 to detonate. All thrown C4 will detonate at the same time, which is great for perfectly timed door breaching of those rebel missions.

void666

Banned
Remember Mercenaries 1? When you needed a vehicle you would browse the black market. A helicopter would bring the vehicle. But you had to make sure there were no AA around or you would risk losing the vehicle you ordered and the money you spent.

Fast forward to 2017. Wildlands. You can't choose the vehicle you want. It just spawns somehere around you. And it's a pain to find it if you play with minimap off.

Man, i want a modern Mercenaries with good gunplay and coop.

Select it with the d-pad left. Throw with L1, hold L1 to detonate.

you can throw multiple and simultaneously detonate...works really well on the tower side missions that you have to blow open the doors to enter. Since there's usually an ammo box at those sites, I make sure i put C4 on EVERY door I can reach...and then blow them all at once...I go in one side and keep my team on another and also call in rebel support...so awesome...for added effect, you can equip a flashbang and toss that in before you enter...

Remember Mercenaries 1? When you needed a vehicle you would browse the black market. A helicopter would bring the vehicle. But you had to make sure there were no AA around or you would risk losing the vehicle you ordered and the money you spent.

Fast forward to 2017. Wildlands. You can't choose the vehicle you want. It just spawns somehere around you. And it's a pain to find it if you play with minimap off.

Man, i want a modern Mercenaries with good gunplay and coop.

That's what this game reminds me of constantly. The old mercenary game

Keihart

So i started using RivaTuner plus Vsync capped at 30 fps and the game it's pretty smooth now. Haven't had a hitch since using that and turned off turf effects.

Belker

Doesn't look like laughing to me.

CuCZC3j.png

Last night we had a mission where, on my screen, a helicopter was flying itself as its pilot stood next to the cockpit. He then teleported to the top of the chopper and versions of himself kept popping into existence, moonwalking down towards the tail and disappearing.

Doesn't look like laughing to me.

CuCZC3j.png

Last night we had a mission where, on my screen, a helicopter was flying itself as its pilot stood next to the cockpit. He then teleported to the top of the chopper and versions of himself kept popping into existence, moonwalking down towards the tail and disappearing.

Yeah, the game has some weird issues. I had that happen multiple times, and it happens with land vehicles too (the bugged driver will appear behind the vehicle or on top of it, running like a Terminator)
I also had situations where one teammate was right beside me on my screen, but like 40m away on another friend's, moments when your silenced guns look like they don't have a silencer from your teammates' point of view, and radio chatter from Ghosts that aren't there.

The game is still really fun, even with all that.

Mossybrew

Yeah there really are a lot of little details that add up. I like that the locations in the game don't feel copy-pasted, I'm still finding unique stuff many hours into the game, and I've only explored maybe a third of the overall map.

Palmer_v1

I noticed last night that my shell casing smake realistic noise depending on the surface they hit. I was firing an LMG while on a metal walkway and could hear the shells rattling when they hit the metal.

I noticed last night that my shell casing smake realistic noise depending on the surface they hit. I was firing an LMG while on a metal walkway and could hear the shells rattling when they hit the metal.

Yeah, I've heard them rattle through metal grating too.. it's kind of impressive.

The little sounds in the game are really well done, when you're not blowing everything to hell, or the damn radio is blaring.

The Ghost Recon Future Soldier set is pretty cool (Nice being free), though the rifle isn't silenced so I had to move back to my Mk 17...

Belker

Oh, Lord. This discussion of sound effects gave me an idea.

I think I would actually buy a fart-pack that synced up to threat levels and danger in the game. A bit like how Monkey Island had dynamic music (or so I've read).

Maybe a small NPC alert would just be a tin-whistle toot, while being chased by a firing Unidad chopper would be a series of cavernous, backfiring growls.

EDIT

Might be better for Saints Row.

Video of one our glitches where Beow kept falling out of the helicopter and eventually runs along the top of it.

Top Bottom