• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

SomTervo

Don't sleep on the LMG's. Solid anti vehicle weapons as well as a great way to keep enemies suppressed. The Stoner LMG can even take a silencer. However, I find myself keeping my LMGs with the compensator V2 on them and keep it as a secondary to go loud. The Mk14 makes a great companion weapon to running with an LMG. You get a combo AR and MR. Now I just need to get the G28 for my Mk14 and I will have a really versatile loadout.

Yep, for any 'defend this objective' missions I always load an LMG. Lays waste to any vehicles.

Is there a trick to defending the radios?
Like every other mission is easy but the radio goes down way to fast and I'm being shot at from different angles while I try to find the guy who is shooting the radio ._.

Look up!

and there's the platinum trophy.

I liked the ending. It was good. Felt appropriate. I really liked the head/underboss takedown missions in general, and the stories around them. They were interesting. As well El Sueno himself. There were a few times where it felt like world was moving in the background, which is honestly a rare feeling to have in a video game story. Sadly, the minute to minute dialogue was crap. The radio was also crap. The world was fantastic in variety, scale, and beauty, but there wasn't much good in terms of the missions in it. Could have been worse, but it's defiantly not great, even in coop.

Keihart

Are you checking which region the weapon or attachment is in first from the loadout menu then getting the intel in that region?

You should have it visible after that with the exception of 1 attachment that has the wrong region listed on the loadout screen. I think its the shotgun silencer which says its in mojocoyo but is actually in the bottom left hand corner snow province.

Yes i'm checking, the attachment i can't find in the region listed after the intel is the holo sight with a scope. Maybe i'll stump with it eventually.

Yes i'm checking, the attachment i can't find in the region listed after the intel is the holo sight with a scope. Maybe i'll stump with it eventually.

The EXPS + G33 scope? That is in Monte Pichu (sp?). I just picked it up there last night. If you have the weapon/accessories intel unlocked you should see it there.

I agree with gutterboy, one of the obvious QoL improvements needed is the ability to more easily swap between weapon loadouts.

I think the addition of at least one new "tab" in the weapons section where you can "favorite" certain weapons so you can quickly find and swap to them without needing to scroll thru the long list of all guns or R1/L1 thru multiple tabs for each type of gun

Keihart

I agree with gutterboy, one of the obvious QoL improvements needed is the ability to more easily swap between weapon loadouts.

I think the addition of at least one new "tab" in the weapons section where you can "favorite" certain weapons so you can quickly find and swap to them without needing to scroll thru the long list of all guns or R1/L1 thru multiple tabs for each type of gun

maybe add weapon preferences to the costumes? that would be neat i think...

Kadin

Is it possible to clear an area (at least at first glance on the map) but still have stuff there you haven't found? I just finished another province and while I don't see any intel, question marks or anything in the area, I don't recall finding much there to begin with.

Is it possible to clear an area (at least at first glance on the map) but still have stuff there you haven't found? I just finished another province and while I don't see any intel, question marks or anything in the area, I don't recall finding much there to begin with.

The white intel stuff doesnt show up automatically you have to be in the area for it to reveal itself. I flew the chopper low over areas with buildings/camps to find most of them

Keihart

So a little update on my attachment quest...it's definitly not in Monte Pucu even if the description says so, i have 2 attachments showing in the map...although i don't recall if i already got one because there should be 3 in the area...weiiird.

I've missed weapons/attachments or medals in placed because I hadn't unlocked the intel yet, and didn't get close enough to that particular building in the compound for it to show up. Had to backtrack and take them out again!

I noticed this in co-op where I'd be visiting places I'd never been before because someone else had the info on a weapon or something.

Kadin

The white intel stuff doesnt show up automatically you have to be in the area for it to reveal itself. I flew the chopper low over areas with buildings/camps to find most of them

I've missed weapons/attachments or medals in placed because I hadn't unlocked the intel yet, and didn't get close enough to that particular building in the compound for it to show up. Had to backtrack and take them out again!

I noticed this in co-op where I'd be visiting places I'd never been before because someone else had the info on a weapon or something.
Well now it all makes sense. Thanks guys, got some backtracking to do! Luckily I enjoy the gameplay enough so this is perfectly fine to do.

edit: is the 'province content' stat 100% of what's in an area that way I don't have to go searching again?

This game really does have its moments.

Had a three man group hitting a five skull province last night, to track down a nice sniper rifle. So we figured we'd get in, collect intel from two targets and use the second target to show us the way to the weapon.

All kinds of Ghost Recon shenanigans ensued, but what really stood out was a small town where our second intel target was located. We had been slowly clearing our way to the objective building from three directions, spotting all targets along the way, and silently taking out stragglers or using the occasional sync'd shot goodness for small groups. We were being extra careful because it was broad daylight and there were helicopter patrols.

So we got to the point where we only knew of two targets left and were making our way back to rally up at our target building when a gunship passed by overhead. We all hit the dirt and got inside nearby buildings for cover.

Turns out the helo wasn't on a regular patrol but was watching over a convoy moving through the center of town. Now, we learned soon enough about the convoy, but what we didn't know was that the convoy stopped when the lead car saw some bodies. And all of the troops in the lead and follow cars got out and started to patrol the area.

So while we thought we only had two targets left in the town, there were a bunch of soldiers slowly headed our way. Each of us ended up getting surprised in turn when there were soldiers at our backs and flanks - even the soldiers themselves were surprised because they hadn't been alerted up until that point and were just investigating the area pretty casually.

This led to one hell of a firefight just as the sun went down. Each of us scrambling from building to building, trying to avoid the gunship hovering above while taking care of the soldiers on every street and doorway, using night vision, taking out lights, and making sure not to plug civilians. The other two players made their way back towards the target building while I crept bit by bit towards the stopped and empty convoy vehicles, moving only when the helicopter gunship had its eyes off of my area.

Was the middle of the night before the other two players had set up in a nice defensive position and fired on the gunship to draw it's attention while I crept up from behind and used an underslung grenade launcher to take it out. (My buddies didn't know I was doing this though and were celebrating that they took it down with their MP5s ;p)

Then we tagged the convoy, grabbed our intel, and bugged out to go find our sniper rifle.

It was one long encounter in a series of nice encounters, and it was tense as hell and made so by way of the game's open world.

This game is fucking amazing at times.

Well now it all makes sense. Thanks guys, got some backtracking to do! Luckily I enjoy the gameplay enough so this is perfectly fine to do.

edit: is the 'province content' stat 100% of what's in an area that way I don't have to go searching again?

I assume it's 100% (the little list of things, right?), if it wasn't that would kind of suck. I guess if won't list hidden/secret or easter egg things, but all the major stuff should be listed.

Indeed it is. It really is what you make of it.. it's a pretty good sandbox to play in. Turning off the mini-map, especially in co-op makes things way more tense, since you tend to get surprised a LOT more often without someone doing proper overwatch duty

Indeed it is. It really is what you make of it.. it's a pretty good sandbox to play in. Turning off the mini-map, especially in co-op makes things way more tense, since you tend to get surprised a LOT more often without someone doing proper overwatch duty
Yep. Our co-op rules are Extreme difficulty and no minimap.

Not much room for mistakes. If an enemy gets the drop on you and you're not in cover you're fucked, right quick. Multiple unmarked enemies get the drop on you? You're whole crew could get wiped in seconds.

As it should be.

Kadin

I assume it's 100% (the little list of things, right?), if it wasn't that would kind of suck. I guess if won't list hidden/secret or easter egg things, but all the major stuff should be listed.
Yeah it's a tad confusing because I just looked at the areas I've completed and the only things that show now are skill points and bonus medals. The areas I haven't finished show additional things like weapon and accessory cases. I'm assuming the areas I've cleared simply no longer show these cause I know I've picked those up in those locations, I guess they just stop showing them after all are found.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Had a three man group hitting a five skull province last night, to track down a nice sniper rifle. So we figured we'd get in, collect intel from two targets and use the second target to show us the way to the weapon.

All kinds of Ghost Recon shenanigans ensued, but what really stood out was a small town where our second intel target was located. We had been slowly clearing our way to the objective building from three directions, spotting all targets along the way, and silently taking out stragglers or using the occasional sync'd shot goodness for small groups. We were being extra careful because it was broad daylight and there were helicopter patrols.

So we got to the point where we only knew of two targets left and were making our way back to rally up at our target building when a gunship passed by overhead. We all hit the dirt and got inside nearby buildings for cover.

Turns out the helo wasn't on a regular patrol but was watching over a convoy moving through the center of town. Now, we learned soon enough about the convoy, but what we didn't know was that the convoy stopped when the lead car saw some bodies. And all of the troops in the lead and follow cars got out and started to patrol the area.

So while we thought we only had two targets left in the town, there were a bunch of soldiers slowly headed our way. Each of us ended up getting surprised in turn when there were soldiers at our backs and flanks - even the soldiers themselves were surprised because they hadn't been alerted up until that point and were just investigating the area pretty casually.

This led to one hell of a firefight just as the sun went down. Each of us scrambling from building to building, trying to avoid the gunship hovering above while taking care of the soldiers on every street and doorway, using night vision, taking out lights, and making sure not to plug civilians. The other two players made their way back towards the target building while I crept bit by bit towards the stopped and empty convoy vehicles, moving only when the helicopter gunship had its eyes off of my area.

Was the middle of the night before the other two players had set up in a nice defensive position and fired on the gunship to draw it's attention while I crept up from behind and used an underslung grenade launcher to take it out. (My buddies didn't know I was doing this though and were celebrating that they took it down with their MP5s ;p)

Then we tagged the convoy, grabbed our intel, and bugged out to go find our sniper rifle.

It was one long encounter in a series of nice encounters, and it was tense as hell and made so by way of the game's open world.

Must...Wait...For...A...Sale....

So tempting

Belker

I don't like microtransactions in games, especially those that allow people to unlock content that's been arbitrarily walled-off behind XP requirements for financial reasons.

But it's a bit different in Wildlands. At least with some guns in the shop, you can pay to unlock them - but the store page also gives the location of the map to explore to get them in gameplay.

But because this is an open world - and I don't think there's an XP requirement to pick up a weapon - one interpretation of Ubisoft selling unlocks is they're asking people to play to avoid playing the game and having adventures.

I get when people are willing to pay for unlocks because they don't want to grind and just want to play the game, but acquiring weapons in Wildlands is a huge part of the fun. Each weapon or part is its own mini mission of planning how to get it, especially the weapons stashed deep in major bases.

I've played for 21 hours and only have cleared Ithacua. Most just been doing supply missions and getting gear. So fun

I get when people are willing to pay for unlocks because they don't want to grind and just want to play the game, but acquiring weapons in Wildlands is a huge part of the fun. Each weapon or part is its own mini mission of planning how to get it, especially the weapons stashed deep in major bases.
Yep. At least in the early going we've been treating it like Warframe. We find the weapons and attachments we want and seek them out. Each weapon and part shows you which province you can find them in, and then you just need to tackle some of the smaller intel missions (circle with exclamation point ones, not the yellow folder ones) to find out where those weapon and attachment cases are.

Our team just snagged a nice sniper rifle upgrade and my next target is a better scope.

Then we'll probably tackle the story missions or cut a swathe though one province or another.

Yonder!
Website is rubbish though so you may have to search by hand in which case try GAF_USA

BTW, cheers RT

I hate how I can't even browse the PSN Task Force because I bought the game on Xbox. I wonder what happens if you own the game on Xbox AND PC or Xbox AND PS4 or whatever? How do I see different Task Forces then?! HUH UBISOFT!

It's a minor gripe.. but I'd like to at least be able to VIEW the Task Force for another system. That seems weird to block that.

I don't like microtransactions in games, especially those that allow people to unlock content that's been arbitrarily walled-off behind XP requirements for financial reasons.

But it's a bit different in Wildlands. At least with some guns in the shop, you can pay to unlock them - but the store page also gives the location of the map to explore to get them in gameplay.

But because this is an open world - and I don't think there's an XP requirement to pick up a weapon - one interpretation of Ubisoft selling unlocks is they're asking people to play to avoid playing the game and having adventures.

I got some GHOST RECON CREDITS for buying the season pass, and I shamelessly used them to unlock the M-14 instead of seeking it out. I was young, new to the world, and ignorant to the ways of the game. I feel deep shame.

Though it was nice getting that gun earlier than normal. Now that I know I could just fly somewhere and sneak in and steal it.. I probably wouldn't have bothered.. but live and learn I suppose.

We're up to 13 members in the Xbox Task Force! Hopefully I'll get to play with some of you.. stupid west coast late night gaming time..

My boost xp from the season pass stopped working today. Great, seems like a known issue in PS4 with no solution. Lots of people on ubi forums saying their season pass or gold version content is fucked.

You can sell all the dumb shit you want, but you at least have to make it work!

Just tackled this one mission after so many retries because me and my friend kept getting caught. Had to go in pure stealth. Finally managed to after a close call. Once the mission complete popped up we turned around and unleashed hell to let out our frustration.

This game is shaping up to be one of the best multiplayer experiences of the year.

Epic co-op session, again. Game is so good, warts and all. Never expected to love it this much, especially in light of toxic politics and that fucking radio.

_RT_

Need a crew for a mission I have to escape undetected. Dropping a truck off at a base and getting out the front door. Drone isn't fast enough to provide intel....

Keihart

This game man, it just keeps givin' me great after great moments. I want a sequel with more things from MGS.

Infiltrating like a "Boss"

giphy.gif

I was saying last night, I can only imagine how good a game like this could be if somebody took the base and its good bits, and injected a bit of genius into it. I really enjoy it as is, even with its janky bits and other unpleasantness, but it's an unusually enjoyable 'B tier' game (I normally hate all this 'GOAT', 'tier' stuff GAF recourses to, but here it's useful). A dash of Kojima (although keep him away from story, can't stand that nonsense) or w/e and boom.

For instance, I was thinking that the civilians could be better utilised,on multiple levels. Given that Santa Blanca have rather egregiously taken over the country and are terrorising the populace, it's not like the population should love them. But they should react more to you as also-invaders, even if your purpose (if not your methods) is benign (or can be defended as such). I wouldn't want it too political, but I like the idea that if you're in a civ area, you might need to be much more careful - e.g. your clothes matter, putting your gun away matters more (it's currently pretty much a nice roleplay touch, rather than a gameplay/system thing), too much destruction and the populace turn on you. Not violently, but perhaps it could have been the case that if you keep them on side they provided you with resources, and losing them in a region would reduce your ability to take on the cartel and Unidad, and reduce rebel support for you. Then you might have to win them back by 'good deeds' (albeit handled far better than it likely would be, i.e. 'save a hostage to win +10 popularity points!' nonsense).

It would clash with the reckless possibilities of the game to an extent, but it would be kinda cool. Perhaps it would work best tied into emphasis on surviving off-grid. I wouldn't want a game that cripples you due to lack of food or sleep, say, but a touch of survival elements, of living in the wilds, would be a really interesting possibility. Keeping the population on side would help this, but sometimes you'd face the choice of causing destruction at the cost of later sustainability, and it'd be a more interesting moral and political context than 'hoorah, we're here to save you, woops I shot one, be careful guys!'.

/rambles

Belker

I imagine the game will be successful enough that it gets a sequel. And when that happens I want sliders.

Last night someone came into the stream and asked lots of questions. The lesson for me is to get better at answering stream questions at lulls in the gameplay, rather than talking as the group is trying to coordinate. Apologies.

The lesson for the game is to have a slider that allows players to alter how often they hear radios in the world, like Sniper Elite picking brain x-ray frequency. There are just too many layers of sound in the game, all competing for one's attention and it gets too much.

Sparrows, I'd imagine some of your ideas could be on sliders too. The equivalent of enemy NPC awareness but for civilians made nervous by guns. The game has too much scope to make it binary.

We had some nice comment on a video of a WildlandsGAF assault on a base:

"Fantastic! This is the type of co-op I dream of. Unfortunately I end up with people who feel bright orange clothing and napalm are the equivalent of "stealth" when I join online games."

Lamptramp

I hate how I can't even browse the PSN Task Force because I bought the game on Xbox. I wonder what happens if you own the game on Xbox AND PC or Xbox AND PS4 or whatever? How do I see different Task Forces then?! HUH UBISOFT!

It's a minor gripe.. but I'd like to at least be able to VIEW the Task Force for another system. That seems weird to block that.

Yeah the whole website is a bit of an omnishambles in my experience, crashing not updating and just being tedious to navigate, been trying to log in all morning.

In. Found a way to load the task force page through the ps4 instead of my laptop.
Found you there.

I can keep an eye out and invite as well if you Like RT.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

wow this sounds awesome

Got the game last night. Incredibly frustrating so far. My friends all are ranked too high for me to hang with them, and when I do I just get killed instantly. When we do my missions it is so easy that they do everything before I even get a chance.

Onky way I can fix that gap is by playing solo, which is stupid because I got the game for co-op and have no desire to play solo.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got the game for ps4 cheap off s friend, don't have anyone to play with though so I'll just do it solo with the ai

Got the game last night. Incredibly frustrating so far. My friends all are ranked too high for me to hang with them, and when I do I just get killed instantly. When we do my missions it is so easy that they do everything before I even get a chance.

Onky way I can fix that gap is by playing solo, which is stupid because I got the game for co-op and have no desire to play solo.

'Ranked' too high?

What difficulty are you/they playing on? In my experience a brand new player should be able to handle anything but the toughest bases. We usually play on Extreme, and everyone gets killed instantly on that if you don't play it carefully, irrespective of hours played, and irrespective of how tough the area is, so it's more down to playstyle and teamwork than time, except again for the toughest bases, which can take a while to crack.

Your chums could run you through a lower province, etc, and you'd be up to speed in no time, as the differential between most players is affected more by settings/HUD choices than skills/unlocks (unless you're literally at 0, and they're at 75%+ through the game, say, but even then if you play on Extreme and they on Easy, it's gonna be a bad time).

Dervius

Not sure I quite get this.

There is a basic skill-tree mechanic in the game, but it isn't really that enormous a difference, at least not on extreme difficulty.

From the off, you have everything you need to hit probably up to level 3 security regions. You can still kill enemies the same in your friends sessions as you can in your own, they just might be going to higher security regions.

My advice, if you are intending to play solo for a bit, is go get yourself some guns and skill points. Whenever you enter a new region look for the white circles with an exclamation mark. They represent intel sources, go for the top option (you're generally offered 3 for each source). The first intel source in a region should located skill points, the second should give weapon and attachment locations.

Do that and you'll start to feel a bit better equipped. Your biggest problem might be your friends being just more experienced than you, or possibly playing on a lower difficulty. Get some solo play in, get some guns and you should catch up in no time.

Dervius

'Ranked' too high?

What difficulty are you/they playing on? In my experience a brand new player should be able to handle anything but the toughest bases. We usually play on Extreme, and everyone gets killed instantly on that if you don't play it carefully, irrespective of hours played, and irrespective of how tough the area is, so it's more down to playstyle and teamwork than time, except again for the toughest bases, which can take a while to crack.

Your chums could run you through a lower province, etc, and you'd be up to speed in no time, as the differential between most players is affected more by settings/HUD choices than skills/unlocks (unless you're literally at 0, and they're at 75%+ through the game, say, but even then if you play on Extreme and they on Easy, it's gonna be a bad time).

Or of course bases in Level 3 regions with a gun case at the back with perpetual alarms that are almost impenetrable. That place was Fort freaking Knox.

Keihart

Even though i have more control on MGSV over my character and how to interact with enemies i find this game way more fun when approaching missions because is like "Here is an objective do it however you want to, have fun!"

Basically this is what i was imagine it would feel MGSV when i heard it was open world ish.

And yes, this game needs some infamous mechanic with the locals and a little more system tie ins in the gameplay loop.

Making costumes matter in gameplay and having base of operations that you can improve and bringing back more control over your AI partners would be very big upgrades to the whole game for example.

Never expected to have this much fun in this game, after Rainbow Six Siege and this, Tom Clancy's games are on a roll, Ubisoft really steeping up their game on this brand.

Matty8787

Downloading right now so anybody wanna play on pc add me on uplay @ Mattyc8787.

Before I enter the world is there any tips? Difficulty? Etc.

Also what performance can I expect from a gtx 1080 and i7 5820k 4.4ghz @ 1440p?

Cheers.

Kyle549

Having a great time with this game. Very impressed with the scope of the world and how much variety there is in the environments.

Question - is there a way to change your view when you're in the helicopter? Or is it only the 3rd person view? When I'm shooting from a helicopter's gun, it seems like I'm just shooting all over the place.

Top Bottom