• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Yeah, I've heard them rattle through metal grating too.. it's kind of impressive.

The little sounds in the game are really well done, when you're not blowing everything to hell, or the damn radio is blaring.

The Ghost Recon Future Soldier set is pretty cool (Nice being free), though the rifle isn't silenced so I had to move back to my Mk 17...

You can put a silencer on the GRFS ACW by aiming down sights and pressing up on the d-pad

legbone

Yeah, I've heard them rattle through metal grating too.. it's kind of impressive.

The little sounds in the game are really well done, when you're not blowing everything to hell, or the damn radio is blaring.

The Ghost Recon Future Soldier set is pretty cool (Nice being free), though the rifle isn't silenced so I had to move back to my Mk 17...

I haven't noticed if it has been mentioned or not, sorry if it has, but I noticed today while riding a dirt bike that you could hear the gear shifts. There was no noticeable animation (from the back at least) but it still is cool. This game has some amazing sound design (I think that's the term, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about the term).

Don't sleep on the LMG's. Solid anti vehicle weapons as well as a great way to keep enemies suppressed. The Stoner LMG can even take a silencer. However, I find myself keeping my LMGs with the compensator V2 on them and keep it as a secondary to go loud. The Mk14 makes a great companion weapon to running with an LMG. You get a combo AR and MR. Now I just need to get the G28 for my Mk14 and I will have a really versatile loadout.

You can put a silencer on the GRFS ACW by aiming down sights and pressing up on the d-pad

42be4aef-36a8-a182-1851172.jpg

I will have to try that out, thank you!

Don't sleep on the LMG's. Solid anti vehicle weapons as well as a great way to keep enemies suppressed. The Stoner LMG can even take a silencer. However, I find myself keeping my LMGs with the compensator V2 on them and keep it as a secondary to go loud. The Mk14 makes a great companion weapon to running with an LMG. You get a combo AR and MR. Now I just need to get the G28 for my Mk14 and I will have a really versatile loadout.

I need to give LMG's a try, I rocked the ACR/M-14 combo for a while, using the grenade launcher on the ACR to take out helo's/vehicles, but the maneuverability was shit with all the attachments. The M-14 was decent, but lacked the punch of the pure sniper rifles.

I have since switched to a Mk 17 with + maneuverability add-on's and the HTI. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY crap the HTI is a beast. It's slow as hell and takes forever to reload it's minuscule 5-round magazine.. but one-shotting the damn UNIDAD helo's never gets old. Taking out convoys while hovering on the side of a chopper is fantastic as well.

Also, SAM is a dick.

Wdz8rqC.gif

Yeah, the HTI is a tough one to pass up. It is so useful. I love taking out generators and drone jammers from 500m out. It is a huge oversight that the game doesn't let people riding on the skids of helicopters use throwables. Would love to plop down some C4 or frags from up in the air. Hell, I don't even think you can use your grenade launcher while riding passenger can you? That is lame.

Yeah, the HTI is a tough one to pass up. It is so useful. I love taking out generators and drone jammers from 500m out. It is a huge oversight that the game doesn't let people riding on the skids of helicopters use throwables. Would love to plop down some C4 or frags from up in the air. Hell, I don't even think you can use your grenade launcher while riding passenger can you? That is lame.
Not being able to use binoculars as a passenger bugs me.

I'm pretty sure you can use the grenade launcher, anything you can do while looking down sights should be fair game. Just not the stuff you can do while walking around (using items).

Though the drone seems to work.. may need some experimenting..

With how shitty the helicopter controls are right now, it isn't that much of a deal breaker, but if they added in proper yaw control so you could strafe or keep one side facing the target while still maneuvering, being able to do more from the skids of the helis would be nice.

I just want to say that the guns in this game are freaking awesome. So many options and so much customization. I love it. Most detailed guns in any game to date I think.

Yeah, I have really enjoyed playing around with all the different attachments and experimenting with loadouts. They really really need to let you save load outs the same way you can save outfits. Also, it would be great to be able to access the gunsmith through the GR Network site or the HQ app. I want to compare shit while taking a shit.

Love my HTI yo. That thing is an anti-aircraft gun.

Anti-everything gun! I had to root around a while to find where it was, then snuck in during the dead of night and stole it right from under those Santa (SANTA.. SANTA..) Blanca bastards noses. It's so LOUD!

I just want to say that the guns in this game are freaking awesome. So many options and so much customization. I love it. Most detailed guns in any game to date I think.

Yeah, I really appreciate the gunsmith section, and how it 'explodes' the gun and lets you customize (and PAINT!) so many different options. That's one of the reasons I never use the Boss weapon drops.. I don't want to be tied to their setup.

legbone

Question for the folks with so many different weapons. Are you guys sneaking into higher level areas and grabbing all the weapons and attachments before taking down each area one at a time. Just wondering because I have very limited options (haven't completed the first area yet. Kinda hard for me to run silent in some of the bigger outposts, and I'm not to good at going loud with my sniper rifle (the first one you get and my g36 (I think that's it, got it from uplay). I use drone and binocs to spot everyone in an outpost before going in. It's taking me a while so maybe I'm just behind you guys. I really like ducking around with the small missions until night then hit the big ones when guys are in bed. Pistol to the head while they are sleeping feels so good.

S
Edit, sorry for the typos, still getting used to posting on a tablet.

Question for the folks with so many different weapons. Are you guys sneaking into higher level areas and grabbing all the weapons and attachments before taking down each area one at a time. Just wondering because I have very limited options (haven't completed the first area yet. Kinda hard for me to run silent in some of the bigger outposts, and I'm not to good at going loud with my sniper rifle (the first one you get and my g36 (I think that's it, got it from uplay). I use drone and binocs to spot everyone in an outpost before going in. It's taking me a while so maybe I'm just behind you guys. I really like ducking around with the small missions until night then hit the big ones when guys are in bed. Pistol to the head while they are sleeping feels so good.

S
Edit, sorry for the typos, still getting used to posting on a tablet.

Oh yeah man, it is the best. Gun hunting is one of the most fun tasks you can do. Some of the bases are way to big to take down without a lot of coordination or work. Way more fun just infiltrating at night or doing a quick in and out without anyone noticing. Really fun to try various ways to get the gear and get the fuck out. For instance, the Mk17, a great AR, is in Unidad HQ. Fuck trying to clear that mess so early in the game. Just sneak in, gank the gun and gtfo. Some of my best stealth moments have come from hunting guns and attachments.

Hahs

the HTI is a beast. It's slow as hell and takes forever to reload it's minuscule 5-round magazine.. but one-shotting the damn UNIDAD helo's never gets old.
It's my fav so far. Loving the bull-pup style - booted up a new profile, went straight to Montuyoc to claim it...BTW are you shooting helos in any particular place to take them down?

legbone

Oh yeah man, it is the best. Gun hunting is one of the most fun tasks you can do. Some of the bases are way to big to take down without a lot of coordination or work. Way more fun just infiltrating at night or doing a quick in and out without anyone noticing. Really fun to try various ways to get the gear and get the fuck out. For instance, the Mk17, a great AR, is in Unidad HQ. Fuck trying to clear that mess so early in the game. Just sneak in, gank the gun and gtfo. Some of my best stealth moments have come from hunting guns and attachments.

Thanks. Sounds like fun. A stealth snatch and run is right up my alley. So how do you know where they are located? Online guide or something. I know the load out gives the region but not exact location.

Thanks. Sounds like fun. A stealth snatch and run is right up my alley. So how do you know where they are located? Online guide or something. I know the load out gives the region but not exact location.

Go into the gunsmith, select the gun you want to get, at the top of the screen it will tell you what province to look in. Same with attachments, just select the locked attachment, it will tell you want province. Once you are in that province, look for Intel Caches, the white circles with an ! in it. Grab one, and choose reveal skill points (the up option). Grab one more intel cache and this time the up option will be reveal weapons and attachments. You always have to reveal the skill points first, for the weapon option to appear. But it is easy enough to get two quick intel caches in a new province.

Use the gunsmith to find the province something is in (though there a few mistakes, apparently), go to that province and find intel sources ('i' in white circles) and go for the top option twice to reveal guns and attachments in that province.

legbone

Go into the gunsmith, select the gun you want to get, at the top of the screen it will tell you what province to look in. Same with attachments, just select the locked attachment, it will tell you want province. Once you are in that province, look for Intel Caches, the white circles with an ! in it. Grab one, and choose reveal skill points (the up option). Grab one more intel cache and this time the up option will be reveal weapons and attachments. You always have to reveal the skill points first, for the weapon option to appear. But it is easy enough to get two quick intel caches in a new province.

Use the gunsmith to find the province something is in (though there a few mistakes, apparently), go to that province and find intel sources ('i' in white circles) and go for the top option twice to reveal guns and attachments in that province.

Yeah, I figured that might be the way since that's how the first region works. Does this cost you any rebel resource Intel or are there plenty to go around. Thanks in advance folks. My Red Dawn collector's edition from shout factory just got here so gonna spend some time with that.

Edit: Wolverines!!!

It's my fav so far. Loving the bull-pup style - booted up a new profile, went straight to Montuyoc to claim it...BTW are you shooting helos in any particular place to take them down?

Just right in their big fat ugly faces. I've blown off the tail before, or just make them explode in the mid section. With the HTI it doesn't seem to matter too much as long as you get a solid hit. I have a few things on that up the damage as much as possible, and have the Extra Vehicle Damage perk maxed out, which I'm sure impacts things quite a bit.

I ran with the starting Sniper rifle for a while, it's not bad, but the optics suck. Once I found the 6x scope it got easier, then I started looking for other weapons. I used the G36 for a while too, it's solid.

Playing co-op, I see someone with a cool gun and they tell me where they got it, so we'll go take the base or do a quick hit and run, as long as you 'claim' the case/weapon you unlock it.. even if you die. I've done a few suicide runs to gear up.

Beating the first area should be fine on standard weapons, and is probably best to learn the mechanics of the game before going to the harder areas.

I started on Normal w/ AI for the first province. Switched it to Advanced during the next couple, and now I've turned off the HUD as well for more immersion. It's hard, but also really cool. The tension jacks up dramatically when you can't rely on little yellow circles to let you know where every last UNIDAD bastard is hiding..

My Red Dawn collector's edition from shout factory just got here so gonna spend some time with that.

Edit: Wolverines!!!

What! I didn't know about this.. damn it.. there goes more money...

Dubz

you, my friend, are the man. Great info....thanks!

Kadin

I'm finding it hard to go with a weapon combo that's not an AR/Sniper setup. I enjoy playing more from a distance yet I hate the fact that I'm ignoring SMGs/LMGs and shottys. The game just doesn't seem to play as good for me up close.

What weapon combos you all using?

I use the TAR-21 AR & G28 Sniper as my primary combo.

HTI has proven to be too loud in certain closer range base takedowns and i like being able to follow up my sniper shot quickly if i miss or hit and dont kill. If theres a target thats hard to hit past 250 meters i usually switch to the HTI to ensure they go down in one hit

When things get hot sometimes i throw on the Stoner LMG to do damage

For clearing the radio towers or indoor areas where stealth is not an option i rock the fully upgraded SASG shotgun with 30 shells available

If I run out of AR ammo ill switch to the Vector or SR635 depending on the range and use that as my primary

I dont have the VHC Damage perks maxed yet so I usually take down choppers with the Stoner LMG

_RT_

I think _RT_ here might be setting up a GAF PS4 Task Force to group 'you people' together. It's helped us on Xbox a little bit.

I was slacking. I'll take care of this now.

Done.

Task Force (PS4):
GAF_USA

I've made it "public" as I assume that is the right approach.

Eh, I'm not really feeling this game but to be fair they sorta just throw you in there. Is there any thing a first time player should tackle first? My biggest hold up is the controls (PS4). They're extremely awkward.

Ah fuck, I just bought it. Will be on later tonight. Are there any groups to join?

I still need to beat Horizon, Sniper Elite 4, and Ride 2

I'm finding it hard to go with a weapon combo that's not an AR/Sniper setup. I enjoy playing more from a distance yet I hate the fact that I'm ignoring SMGs/LMGs and shottys. The game just doesn't seem to play as good for me up close.

What weapon combos you all using?

Tried a bunch but never went with SMG/Shotty combo.. I suppose because this game is SOMEWHAT similar to real life (i.e. a few bullets can kill you) there is a tendency to play things somewhat safe, and attack from a distance if possible.

It could be fun to go LOUD more often with a co-op squad.

Ah fuck, I just bought it. Will be on later tonight. Are there any groups to join?

I still need to beat Horizon, Sniper Elite 4, and Ride 2

Xbox, PC, or PS4? (Guessing PS4 because Horizon but maybe that's Forza Horizon!) _RT_ above is going to create a GAF Task Force on PS4 I believe!

For Xbox we have a couple groups:

Ghost Recon Wildlands XBOX NeoGAF Task Force

Ghost Recon Wildlands XBOX NeoGAF Club

PC has another Task Force but I can't find the link at the moment.

If I run out of AR ammo ill switch to the Vector or SR635 depending on the range and use that as my primary

How does that work? I didn't think to figure it out yet.. you can switch guns at any point right? Not just at an ammo box.. so if you run out of bullets, can you switch guns and then switch back and have a full load? Ammo boxes are literally LITTERED all over the map so it hasn't ever been a problem before.. but it is interesting. I kind of would like loadout changes to be restricted to Ammo boxes just for some semblance of 'realism'.

Bollocks

Is there a trick to defending the radios?
Like every other mission is easy but the radio goes down way to fast and I'm being shot at from different angles while I try to find the guy who is shooting the radio ._.

How does that work? I didn't think to figure it out yet.. you can switch guns at any point right? Not just at an ammo box.. so if you run out of bullets, can you switch guns and then switch back and have a full load? Ammo boxes are literally LITTERED all over the map so it hasn't ever been a problem before.. but it is interesting. I kind of would like loadout changes to be restricted to Ammo boxes just for some semblance of 'realism'.

You get pools of ammo for different types of guns. You cant just switch to another AR when ur primary AR is empty and have bullets. You might if the caliber of bullet is different 5.56 vs 7.62 but I havent tested that out yet if they have different ammo pools.

Is there a trick to defending the radios?
Like every other mission is easy but the radio goes down way to fast and I'm being shot at from different angles while I try to find the guy who is shooting the radio ._.

Do the rebel ops that give you diversion rebels and back up rebels and swarm the radio. I got frustrated but this seems to work out wonderfully. Just call them back to back and you're gilden👍

_RT_

Just noticed I've spent 17 hours in this game. Barely any main storyline done. Been a long time since I've done that.

You get pools of ammo for different types of guns. You cant just switch to another AR when ur primary AR is empty and have bullets. You might if the caliber of bullet is different 5.56 vs 7.62 but I havent tested that out yet if they have different ammo pools.

Oh ok that makes sense I guess. Still weird that you're carrying around all those different weapons all the time.. But not a big deal.

Seriously no HUD is super fun. I didn't realize how reliant I had become to the minimap.

If I change the difficulty mid game, are there any trophy issues I should worry about?
Doesnt look like it

Oh ok that makes sense I guess. Still weird that you're carrying around all those different weapons all the time.. But not a big deal.

Seriously no HUD is super fun. I didn't realize how reliant I had become to the minimap.
Yea im not a huge fan of the swap in/out all your weapons at anytime and also that you can carry what amounts to 2 primary weapons and a sidearm.

Havent tried full no HUD yet but im sure its probably pretty tense. Do you still get the warnings when an enemy starts to spot you?

When do we expect new information regarding the software line-up? Release dates etc? It has been a while since any official information from Nintendo. We only know about MK8....

Belker

When do we expect new information regarding the software line-up? Release dates etc? It has been a while since any official information from Nintendo. We only know about MK8....

Think you're in the wrong thread.

Just finished an excellent session with some online pals and also Zorbs from WildlandsGAF. Most it was driving around an causing mayhem, but it ended in on a slow and stealthy base invasion with the three of them taking out a generator and placing there pieces of C4 scattered around the base, while I tried to help by calling out enemy positions and their lines of sight.

Havent tried full no HUD yet but im sure its probably pretty tense. Do you still get the warnings when an enemy starts to spot you?

I meant no minimap.. Haha I haven't tried full no HUD except for flying. But I imagine it would be even more crazy having to visually identify every baddie!!

Trying out Mass effect.. So far its no Wildlands!

zorbsie

Think you're in the wrong thread.

Just finished an excellent session with some online pals and also Zorbs from WildlandsGAF. Most it was driving around an causing mayhem, but it ended in on a slow and stealthy base invasion with the three of them taking out a generator and placing there pieces of C4 scattered around the base, while I tried to help by calling out enemy positions and their lines of sight.

That was loads of fun. I'm always up for more of that. That last mission we did was tense. Felt great when we let off the C4 and just drove off. That was very satisfying.

void666

Banned
I think advanced with minimap disabled is the sweet spot difficulty wise. Enemy AI doesn't cheat and you won't die too fast.

_RT_

Assume This is the one, sent a request. EU myself but since there isnt an EU one setup figiured it was worth joining anyway :)

Sorry for the delay.
Logging in on mobile or on the app was a disaster. At one point after logging in it showed me as a completely different account.

I logged in on my computer and you are all set.

AR + Sniper is probably the most versatile loadout to run with the majority of the game. Especially with a grenade launcher attachment. Sniping is fun, and the game empowers you to snipe with all the great spotting options. However, it isn't always ideal, and variety is good! The game lets you switch your loadout whenever you want, so it seems foolish to pass up that advantage. There are several situations in the game where you will have the time to plan and pick a loadout that best suits the situation.

For instance, any of the rebel ops missions where you have to breach and storm a building, be sure to swap out your sniper for a sub machine gun. Keep the AR as backup or hell, run two subs. That extra maneuverability makes a big difference and if you run silent, you won't piss off the guys in the floor above and below. Most ARs aren't quiet enough in buildings to not alert people on floors above and below you. P90 with 50 rounds by default is a great breaching/interior weapon. I normally keep an LMG in loud mode for my back up if shit hits the fan inside. Suppressive fire is not as obvious as a mechanic as in The Division, but you definitely keep enemies pinned behind cover. If their are heavies in the area, the guys with the shield icons, they tend to move crazy fast on you and being able to hold down a point of cover with an LMG is huge. The stopping power + the mag size gives it an advantage imo. So often the cause of my death is being hit by multiple enemies at once. I am not a dead eye, so spraying some lead down range that keeps two guys behind cover, while I target the third, saves my ass.

Another situation where I change loadouts is before a defend/hold the position situation. The rebel ops radio missions are always this, and a few story missions so far give you a little heads up to let you know a bunch of dudes are gonna descend on your position. I used to go HTI + AR with grenade launcher but with even one or two points in VHC destruction perk, LMGs fucking melt cars and helis. The switching on and off of the grenade launcher is really clunky and especially annoying when you ADS that you can easily forget if you are in grenade mode or AR mode. That and the delays when switching weapons or on and off grenade launcher has gotten me killed several times. For defending a position, it is LMG every time + a sub machine gun if I know I am going to be going in and out of a building or just an AR I like such as the Mk17. Without even letting off the trigger, you can go from taking down the ground forces moving on your position, to shooting the car with backup or the heli coming in.

I have not found a use for shotguns yet, but I don't have any of them other than the stubby shotgun which is worthless.

I think the HTI is the most important unlock. It does so much. Invaluable for taking out people behind walls, long range shots where you can'y guarantee a OHK head shot and of course blowing up generators and drone jammers.

I've also been enjoying using the G33 scope variants on ARs and not always running a sniper. The extra zoom is enough for me to pick off guard tower snipers as we get near an objective and I know at least two of my other squad mates are always running an SR1 or HTI. The G33 with russian red dot is pretty nice. Very minimal FOV obstruction, clear optics and nice versatility. That with the L85A2 have been money. Haven't touched my beloved Mk17 in two days. Oh yeah, the L85A2 has a 50 round upgrade and has solid handling and recoil control out of the box.

All of this points to the need for being able to save weapons loadouts. If I can swap between saved outfits, I should be able to do the same for loadouts. Mixing up your weapons in the game is fun, and it is great that you can do it anytime you want, but a little quality of life improvement like saving loadouts would go a long way.

I see a lot of people talking about this HTI gun and Im new to the game....where can I go to find this thing?

Montoyuc. It is west of the starting province, Ithacua. It is a super high damage and high penetration sniper rifle. I believe it is the only one you can use to shoot generators and drone jammers to blow them up. Otherwise you have to use explosives. It also can OHK helis if you shoot them in the center of the rotors. With the VHC skill upgraded, i think it is OHK anywhere on the helis.

Keihart

Maybe is because i'm playing on extreme (although it wouldn't make much sense) but, every time i get the intel about weapons in an area i never get the intel about the part i'm looking for.

Any ideas? it has happened to me in Monte Pucu and now in the other area in the snow. Both time looking for specific scopes.

Maybe is because i'm playing on extreme (although it wouldn't make much sense) but, every time i get the intel about weapons in an area i never get the intel about the part i'm looking for.

Any ideas? it has happened to me in Monte Pucu and now in the other area in the snow. Both time looking for specific scopes.

Are you checking which region the weapon or attachment is in first from the loadout menu then getting the intel in that region?

You should have it visible after that with the exception of 1 attachment that has the wrong region listed on the loadout screen. I think its the shotgun silencer which says its in mojocoyo but is actually in the bottom left hand corner snow province.

Top Bottom