• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

It's the Tiers 3 of drop vehicule upgrade. With my friend, we decided I would never get the Chopper though, as the armored vehicule (tiers 2) with the gatling is much more useful for the convoys missions. So I won't do any more missions to upgrade it.

Let's hope for a patch that will let us choose what we want at Tiers 3.

If he uses the chopper then you use the emp drone on the convoys while flying and it's all good. When I play single player I always have to use the armored car though because of the ai always blowing up the convoy with the guns while trying to kill the driver lol.

Any of the sniper rifles will take out generators, it is just a matter of how many rounds it will take at the range you're at. .338 ones (L115, MSR) will do it in one shot from a few hundred meters at least.

Good to know. I just always go HTI if I am going to do long range overwatch or disable key defenses of a base. The penetration of the HTI without suppressor is amazing. I almost never use suppressors for snipers now. Any distance where a sniper is needed or fun, you are well out of ear shot. If I am within 300m or less, I can easily pick off dudes with my AR.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Good to know. I just always go HTI if I am going to do long range overwatch or disable key defenses of a base. The penetration of the HTI without suppressor is amazing. I almost never use suppressors for snipers now. Any distance where a sniper is needed or fun, you are well out of ear shot. If I am within 300m or less, I can easily pick off dudes with my AR.
If you get that suppressor perk, does it still lower the damage of the HTI enough that you can't take out stuff?

If you get that suppressor perk, does it still lower the damage of the HTI enough that you can't take out stuff?

I am not sure. I think even with that perk, you still get an advantage without a suppressor. Bullet travel time definitely seems to be longer with a suppressor. I have no clue if accuracy, damage and range are completely equal suppressed and unsuppressed after getting that perk. More important than anything, the guns sound 1,000x better unsuppressed in this game. It is a shame the game drives people toward suppressors when the sound design unsuppressed is phenomenal. Different echos and sound in so many minor changes in environment. Shooting an LMG form inside a building...oh boy. That fucker rings ears.

foxdvd

Got my platinum on this tonight...as a coop game it was a blast. When I played by myself the flaws really stood out.

Biggest thing I want in a patch is proper placement for helicopter drops.

Bollocks

If he uses the chopper then you use the emp drone on the convoys while flying and it's all good. When I play single player I always have to use the armored car though because of the ai always blowing up the convoy with the guns while trying to kill the driver lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mine do it too but you can still tag the convoy after it is blown up.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ghost-recon-wildlands-425478.phtml

Highlight of this silly review (2.5/10) is that he says coop is terrible oh but I didn't have a mic and that no one in the world enjoys the stealth missions (I do) and the locations are bland.

Meanwhile, I'm still having fun.

Normally I don't give a stuff about reviews, but, uh...

I don't even know where to start with this thing. Who is this game even for? It's certainly not for people who want to play co-op with their friends. I gave that mode a shot under practically ideal circumstances; although my microphone was unusable (my fault, the co-op works perfectly on a technical level)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mine do it too but you can still tag the convoy after it is blown up.

Thats all I do. I blow up the convoy with the HTI then wipe out the two backup vehicles until everyone is dead. I wonder if they will patch it so you can't tag once its blown up.

Hyun Sai

Thats all I do. I blow up the convoy with the HTI then wipe out the two backup vehicles until everyone is dead. I wonder if they will patch it so you can't tag once its blown up.

I don't know if it's a bug, seems like you get much less reward when it's blown up.

Unity2012

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ghost-recon-wildlands-425478.phtml

Highlight of this silly review (2.5/10) is that he says coop is terrible oh but I didn't have a mic and that no one in the world enjoys the stealth missions (I do) and the locations are bland.

Meanwhile, I'm still having fun.

Coop is the best part of the game. With 3 friends can be hilarious,or better yet, just two people if one wants to get a bit more tactical. I've been having fun with friends since the Betas and still do.

Belker

Had good games with Ont last night and also got to play with Ve3tro and Hawkhades for the first time. WildlandsGAF and the Taskforce are doing their jobs.

I think SAMs have to travel a certain distance before they detonate. I'm also wondering what the criteria are for a SAM icon appearing in the UI. Distance and the missile's state?

I only have these questions because Ont likes to play fast and loose with his passengers' lives.

NSFW - swearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh993w9LlGY

killroy87

Unfortunately have to trade this game in, due to Ubisoft's weird-ass networking giving me and my friend NAT problems, leaving us unable to connect and play together. I don't know what Ubi is doing specifically compared to other devs, but their games are literally the ONLY time I ever have a problem connecting. And I have no plans on playing this solo, so looks like it's going bye bye.

MAX PAYMENT

Tried to create Snake Plisken.

He looked cool until he spoke.

I'm on the fence about this game.
As former military I'm really surprised they went as far as licensing military issued clothing and gear and whatnot.

But I'd definitely make a big Boss type character.

Belker

I'm on the fence about this game.
As former military I'm really surprised they went as far as licensing military issued clothing and gear and whatnot.

But I'd definitely make a big Boss type character.

I imagine the companies paid to be in the game. It's interactive advertising where consumers will spend tens of hours with your product.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Come to Santa Blanca, they said. It'll be lovely, they said.

Y4GeZJU.jpg

fC5ZegK.jpg

eo1dQzF.jpg

kmT37GL.jpg

fTKZBNE.jpg

Ktsdaddy

This game is awesome and huge. Haven't even started the story line either, just running around doing side quests aND gathering intel

That 2.5 review was interesting. I guess I can see where they are coming from.. But they seem to fixate on the stealth tailing missions.. And I think I've only seen one or two and they were not a problem.

The no headset thing is hilarious.. Of course you need to be able to communicate for coop. I tried playing once without a mic and it was a shitshow, and I know what I'm doing!

Still enjoying this game. Every outpost/whatever is just a small mini battle that you can strategize as much or as little as you want. I hate UNIDAD but love how unpredictable they can be when they roll by at the worst possible times.

With practice the vehicle controls are fine, they could be improved, of course, but they're functional.

Back to it..

So this game gets GAF approval? Just copped a PS4pro and was going to get battlefield but I have some friends who decided they all wanted to play this so um.....I hope it's good

Kadin

So this game gets GAF approval? Just copped a PS4pro and was going to get battlefield but I have some friends who decided they all wanted to play this so um.....I hope it's good
Having friends to play this with makes the game even better. I'm enjoying the shit out of it solo and when my other 2 friends have time and we all are able to jump on, so much laughter and insanity. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Belker

You're lucky. Not only is it good fun co-op, I think Digital Foundry said PS4 Pro has the most solid frame rate. You're in for a treat.

No. GAF hates it. But we, int this thread are enjoying it.
As somebody who flip flopped between interest, hate, meh, and buying-day-one during the beta periods, the game has problems. The vehicle model is way too loose, the helicopter model is OK for getting from A to B but not very workable if you want to use its weaponry. The single player squad AI is barely there, and the open world is filled to the brim with bizarre oddities, jank, strange corner conditions and a lack of polish in a lot of areas (Why are chain-link fences damn near indestructible? why can launching a drone from the helicopter destroy the rotors? why can speedboats only seat one? why can Unidad shoot through the floors and ceilings? why does teleporting to another player sometimes place me half a mile away on a different island? Why do all co-op players have to tag their own resources? and on and on and on and on).

BUT... the combination of free form mission design, bullet drop, super-quick time-to-kills, civilian presence, factional disguise via vehicles, prevalence of interiors and accessible rooftops, NPC schedules and change-ups with time of day, layered base systems like generators, floodlights, SAMs, jammers, mortars, etc., open world stealth and alert systems and the emergence you get from multiple overlapping systems causing friction and chaos to the best laid plans can add up to make for some of the best damn tactical co-op situations I've had since I started in the genre. And the very light RPG skill-up elements mean that there are zero impediments for groups to get together and drop-in and out whenever they want.

The game as is may be a 6.5-7/10 overall, but with its particular sandbox it has the potential to be a 10/10 at times with the right mix of players and difficulty and a little luck. And a Wildlands 2, if they make one (and I hope that they do), could shape up to be one of the best tactical co-op shooters ever.

This game is a real trip.

Kyle549

As far as those of us in this thread are concerned, this game - at least for co-op - is great.

Not to mention, with so many open worlds in recent games (HZD, WD2, etc) the scale and detail of this map is unmatched. There is so much diversity in each region and the amount of detail is really impressive. The grittiness of the industrial areas, the road signs, the different buildings, etc.

As somebody who flip flopped between interest, hate, meh, and buying-day-one during the beta periods, the game has problems. The vehicle model is way too loose, the helicopter model is OK for getting from A to B but not very workable if you want to use its weaponry. The single player squad AI is barely there, and the open world is filled to the brim with bizarre oddities, jank, strange corner conditions and a lack of polish in a lot of areas (Why are chain-link fences damn near indestructible? why can launching a drone from the helicopter destroy the rotors? why can speedboats only seat one? why can Unidad shoot through the floors and ceilings? why does teleporting to another player sometimes place me half a mile away on a different island? Why do all co-op players have to tag their own resources? and on and on and on and on).

BUT... the combination of free form mission design, bullet drop, super-quick time-to-kills, civilian presence, factional disguise via vehicles, prevalence of interiors and accessible rooftops, NPC schedules and change-ups with time of day, layered base systems like generators, floodlights, SAMs, jammers, mortars, etc., open world stealth and alert systems and the emergence you get from multiple overlapping systems causing friction and chaos to the best laid plans can add up to make for some of the best damn tactical co-op situations I've had since I started in the genre. And the very light RPG skill-up elements mean that there are zero impediments for groups to get together and drop-in and out whenever they want.

The game as is may be a 6.5-7/10 overall, but with its particular sandbox it has the potential to be a 10/10 at times with the right mix of players and difficulty and a little luck. And a Wildlands 2, if they make one (and I hope that they do), could shape up to be one of the best tactical co-op shooters ever.

This game is a real trip.

qft, word for word. This is like a post from my head. You even mentioned the weird swings from 6/10 to 10/10 lol

I just want them to focus on complete simulation and atmosphere for a sequel. Physics, AI, world interaction, etc. must be consistent and detailed across the board. I want camo to matter, civilians to play a bigger role in how you move through the world, maybe a stamina/psych gauge, weapon upkeep, dealing with the elements, etc. True backpacker survivalist spec ops. A combination of what this game does well with the immersion of where Far Cry 2 was heading.

And remove like 90% of the script, and get a brooding electronic score in there.

Lashley

Game does get repetitive if you play it for a long time in a single sitting, but I really like it.

My AI squadmates miss a lot of sync shots though

Fury451

Banned

GAF response seems to be oddly angry and disappointed that it's a big hit I guess? I dunno. Because it's "another bad Ubisoft game" or some such. It's not. There's legitimate things to not like, but they're easily overlooked.

It's a great game, a lot of fun to be had, and when you work with a team (or single player even in my opinion), pulling off tactical infiltration or blowing it and having to go loud is great fun.

Stitch

Gold Member
Game does get repetitive if you play it for a long time in a single sitting, but I really like it.

My AI squadmates miss a lot of sync shots though
Weird, my sqadmates never miss and somehow can even shoot through walls.

Does this game actually have bullet penetration? In a dev video they shot a guy through the floor but I never managed to shoot anyone through anything.

Kadin

Does this game actually have bullet penetration? In a dev video they shot a guy through the floor but I never managed to shoot anyone through anything.
I've had 100% execution with qsync as well so far.

As to shooting through walls, yeah you definitely can. I can shoot enemies when it's through a single wooden type wall. It doesn't seem to be something I do a lot but it does happen.

Belker

The talk of people sticking on a way to take out convoys and generators makes me want a randomise button in the load out screen and even mission objectives.

I can see people becoming more used to doing things efficiently and that feeling of smooth execution supplanting experimentation. Both types of play are equally valid, but I think experimentation lends itself to games having longer lives.

You'd press the randomise button and the game would pick what weapons, attachments and, perks and rebel skills you had access to. At any point you could press the button again to go instanteously back to your previous load out/skill tree.

Earlier we were overlooking a roadside outpost and CrudeDiatribe knew the enemy positiions and behaviours because he'd played it three times before.

Ideally the randomise mission would pick a location on the map, populate it with enemies vehicles and objectives. Perhaps the randomisation area would be a sphere, so that you could have helicopter patrols etc. Everything outside the sphere would work as normal.

Lashley

I've had 100% execution with qsync as well so far.

As to shooting through walls, yeah you definitely can. I can shoot enemies when it's through a single wooden type wall. It doesn't seem to be something I do a lot but it does happen.

Weird, they'll use the sync shot but nobody dies

Kadin

Weird, they'll use the sync shot but nobody dies
Are you syncing them up by waiting to make sure the icon goes solid showing they're locked on? I'll line up 2 guys and have 2 of my teammates take them down without me doing anything other than just telling them to engage. Works every time.

Belker

I guess. I don't think Oakley M frames eye protection and Crye combat uniforms are consumer commodities.

I could be wrong. I don't know anything about the US market for military clothes and accessories. I suppose it just seemed to me that having these products licenced doesn't necessarily do much for the game, but it does provide an opportunity for the manufacturers to help build their brands more and have that association in consumers' minds.

MAX PAYMENT

I could be wrong. I don't know anything about the US market for military clothes and accessories. I suppose it just seemed to me that having these products licenced doesn't necessarily do much for the game, but it does provide an opportunity for the manufacturers to help build their brands more and have that association in consumers' minds.

Yeah. It just seems totally odd that that kind of stuff is even in the game. I doubt many people would even recognize what any of it i's without some kind of exposure to it.

qft, word for word. This is like a post from my head. You even mentioned the weird swings from 7/10 to 10/10 lol

I just want them to focus on complete simulation and atmosphere for a sequel. Physics, AI, world interaction, etc. must be consistent and detailed across the board. I want camo to matter, civilians to play a bigger role in how you move through the world, maybe a stamina/psych gauge, weapon upkeep, dealing with the elements, etc. True backpacker survivalist spec ops. A combination of what this game does well with the immersion of where Far Cry 2 was heading.

And remove like 90% of the script, and get a brooding electronic score in there.
Definitely agree that gear should matter more - camo, armor vs. mobility (think they got this right in RS:Vegas' PEC system), more limited loadouts, and loadouts affecting weight/stamina etc. A full second pass on vehicles, consistent damage and penetration, civilians that have a more direct affect on what happens (either alerting the enemy or even helping based upon your rep), and more close quarters combat options for breaching and clearing structures.

Basically they should make it for the hard-core first, and then add optional Forza-like assists to smooth things out and grab the more arcade GTAO/Mercenaries players.

The foundation here is great, though their ambition means its breaking at the seams. A solid follow-up could be nothing short of amazing.

And even though the game has all the problems I mentioned and more, I've always got these new stories to tell, completely player and emergence driven, after each session. Its always a mix of us doing our recon and making our plans, but then something somewhere doesn't work out. A convoy or patrol passes through, our exfil route turns out not to be do-able, the soldier's patrols change up as night time approaches, etc. There's always something unexpected that forces us to think on our toes - and we either adapt and overcome and feel like bad-asses, or else things get very loud and hectic, and we're either wiped out or make it through some fierce firefight, and again, feel like bad-asses ;p

The high points are real highs.

Top Bottom