• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Gaz_RB

Got the game last night. Incredibly frustrating so far. My friends all are ranked too high for me to hang with them, and when I do I just get killed instantly. When we do my missions it is so easy that they do everything before I even get a chance.

Onky way I can fix that gap is by playing solo, which is stupid because I got the game for co-op and have no desire to play solo.

This is a skill gap, not a level gap. They're just better than you because you're new.

This is a skill gap, not a level gap. They're just better than you because you're new.

While the progression system isn't as meaningful in this as say The Division, there are still advantages like damage mitigation, etc that can give one player advantages over another who hasn't unlocked/maxed out that skill as of yet.

Got the game last night. Incredibly frustrating so far. My friends all are ranked too high for me to hang with them, and when I do I just get killed instantly. When we do my missions it is so easy that they do everything before I even get a chance.

Onky way I can fix that gap is by playing solo, which is stupid because I got the game for co-op and have no desire to play solo.

You need 2-4 weapon upgrades to be ready for almost anything.

1-Have your friends help you sneak into FOB Armadillo in the first province Itacua and get the PK-AS scope for your AR
2-complete the first mission in Itacua to rescue Amaru and get the Sniper Rifle that is located at the end of the mission.
3-The Tactical 6x scope in Koani is nice to have for the sniper rifle as well. You can find the location in a youtube video or guide for the game online easily
4- The HTI sniper rifle is pretty easy to sneak in and get at the training facility in Monteyuc and allows 1 hit sniper kills on any enemy

Thats the 4 things I run all my friends thru first to get them setup. Like everyone said, its really just a skill/experience thing. You should be able to hang with your friends afterwards once you learn how to handle yourself

No. What you see is what you get. No other camera option or reticule when in helicopters. Yeah, that's a bummer.

I think in some seats you can look first-person or third-person. I can't remember the buttons though, it's now instinctive.

While the progression system isn't as meaningful in this as say The Division, there are still advantages like damage mitigation, etc that can give one player advantages over another who hasn't unlocked/maxed out that skill as of yet.

True, but I've yet to experience a moment where unlocks triumphed over sheer damage on Extreme :D

down 2 orth

I'm liking this game, but man the writing is brutal... it's like team of neo-marxists assembled to do a propaganda project for the US army, but at the end of the day they just didn't have any talent and couldn't be bothered to read up on geopolitics.

Keihart

I'm liking this game, but man the writing is brutal... it's like team of neo-marxists assembled to do a propaganda project for the US army, but at the end of the day they just didn't have any talent and couldn't be bothered to read up on geopolitics.

Writing of story is horrible but the conversation between the squad members while you play i think it's cool. The stupid jokes, the questioning of what they are doing and the stupid jarhead moments with "hoo haa !" and so on

down 2 orth

Writing of story is horrible but the conversation between the squad members while you play i think it's cool. The stupid jokes, the questioning of what they are doing and the stupid jarhead moments with "hoo haa !" and so on

Some of it's not bad, some of it's obvious propaganda ("heck the military paid for my master's degree"), but some of it hearing more than twice becomes a bit much. Like at least once a play through they crack the "to the market, Jeeves" joke which gets kind of irritating after 7 or 8 times.

I'm at the point where I need to do the Quinoa mission.. so every time I spawn I get the voiceover talking about fucking Quinoa.

I need to take that factory down STAT (I mean it IS a legitimate target).

Played a bit solo last night, just hunting down little items. Even with the instakill syncshot it can still be a challenge, especially with no minimap. There were definitely times I wish I had real people instead of the AI, as once things get out of hand the AI doesn't really help too much.

The little bush planes can take some abuse.. and can take off in a pinch ;)

83rWmbH.gif

Highlight/Lowlight of the night was hitting a great long distance moving shot.. and killing the target I needed to interrogate. D'OH. I was just trying to disable the engine block, I swear!

xmKK0xM.gif

Hope to get some good time in this weekend if I can get some free time!

Mossybrew

It seems like every time I play co-op I'm getting hit by cars. Twice last night. "Uh, I'm dead again. Didn't look both ways!"

WizzNARD

Really loving this game, solo but especially co op. Just the flexibility of everything is really great.

Last night doing some missions, forget where but had to shut down some generator in a factory of some sort. Scoping out the area with my EMP drone, find the generator, pop it, and boom! Mission done! I honestly didn't think it would work. My buddies weren't even out of the chopper yet.

And that's what I love about this game. The amount of freedom in ways to take down missions, there's very rarely a right or wrong way to do anything. There may be an easier way, but even the best plotted attack can go to hell pretty quick and being able to switch from pure stealth to pure action/destruction is great. I've played for hours and have just really started to use some more of the tools available and really starting to see how many way to do things is great.

Downloading right now so anybody wanna play on pc add me on uplay @ Mattyc8787.

Before I enter the world is there any tips? Difficulty? Etc.

Also what performance can I expect from a gtx 1080 and i7 5820k 4.4ghz @ 1440p?

Cheers.

Adding you on uplay. I'm basically at the start of the game. I've done about 5 out of the 6 main missions in the first area. My uplay is DarthVader1981

So I was browsing through my Amazon wish list and noticed that this game was available from a 3rd party seller for $17.15 New.

They have an 85% seller rating with over 1800 ratings. Did I luck out or am I probably going to have to contact Amazon in a couple of weeks when I don't receive my game?

So I was browsing through my Amazon wish list and noticed that this game was available from a 3rd party seller for $17.15 New.

They have an 85% seller rating with over 1800 ratings. Did I luck out or am I probably going to have to contact Amazon in a couple of weeks when I don't receive my game?

I'm fucking doing it. If it doesn't go through then I know Amazon will help out with it.

I'm fucking doing it. If it doesn't go through then I know Amazon will help out with it.

For $17, it's worth a shot for the hassle of not getting it.

The other seller offering it for $17 is clearly a scam though. Generic gibberish seller name and no ratings at all.

Just surprised me to see it for so cheap from a seller with a decent seller rating.

Edit: Mine just went into Preparing for Shipment.

'Ranked' too high?

What difficulty are you/they playing on? In my experience a brand new player should be able to handle anything but the toughest bases. We usually play on Extreme, and everyone gets killed instantly on that if you don't play it carefully, irrespective of hours played, and irrespective of how tough the area is, so it's more down to playstyle and teamwork than time, except again for the toughest bases, which can take a while to crack.

Your chums could run you through a lower province, etc, and you'd be up to speed in no time, as the differential between most players is affected more by settings/HUD choices than skills/unlocks (unless you're literally at 0, and they're at 75%+ through the game, say, but even then if you play on Extreme and they on Easy, it's gonna be a bad time).

When I got on we went through the opening two missions in the first province, and they did everything and I did not even see an enemy. They all complained about it being too eazy so i said fine we can go to a tougher area. They decide to go to level three areas. I get hit once and I am down, they have increased bullet resistance and all that and take a couple. Going tactically is barely an option because I get rekt as soon as we are found, which they do on purpose eventually.

A lot of this is due to shitty friends/playstyles but it is so frustrating. I just need to play more and I am sure it will get better.

Not sure I quite get this.

There is a basic skill-tree mechanic in the game, but it isn't really that enormous a difference, at least not on extreme difficulty.

From the off, you have everything you need to hit probably up to level 3 security regions. You can still kill enemies the same in your friends sessions as you can in your own, they just might be going to higher security regions.

My advice, if you are intending to play solo for a bit, is go get yourself some guns and skill points. Whenever you enter a new region look for the white circles with an exclamation mark. They represent intel sources, go for the top option (you're generally offered 3 for each source). The first intel source in a region should located skill points, the second should give weapon and attachment locations.

Do that and you'll start to feel a bit better equipped. Your biggest problem might be your friends being just more experienced than you, or possibly playing on a lower difficulty. Get some solo play in, get some guns and you should catch up in no time.

Thisll be my mission tonight I suppose. Checking out other areas for weapons.

Have the Future Soldier assault rifle that works pretty well. Aside from that my weapons arent very good.

What a shot! Kudos, even if failure resulted :D

Thank you.. I did it two different times. Probably shouldn't be using the HTI for that!

So.. kind of off topic, but I dabbled in the Mass Effect: Andromeda demo/EA Access thing, and wow, going from GR:W to ME:A was.. not great. I feel like the on-foot controls in GR:W, while not perfect, are 1000% better than in ME:A. The shooting is WAY better in Ghost Recon, the running feels super floaty and inaccurate. Getting back to GR:W was very welcomed. The graphics also seemed a lot better in GR:W. Was interesting comparing them both as 'third person shooters' even though obviously ME is more of an RPG.

Meh. Hopefully Ghost Recon can keep me hooked for a while, decided to hold off on Mass Effect until maybe it gets a Scorpio patch or free on EA Access.

When I got on we went through the opening two missions in the first province, and they did everything and I did not even see an enemy. They all complained about it being too eazy so i said fine we can go to a tougher area. They decide to go to level three areas. I get hit once and I am down, they have increased bullet resistance and all that and take a couple. Going tactically is barely an option because I get rekt as soon as we are found, which they do on purpose eventually.

A lot of this is due to shitty friends/playstyles but it is so frustrating. I just need to play more and I am sure it will get better.

Wow. Shitty friends indeed! If you're on Xbox, you should join our Task Force, we have non-shitty people to play with :) For at least the beginning missions they should sit back and let you complete them to get a feel for things, and help as needed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The AI is so frustrating and inept. If not for sync shot, which is a joke-like crutch, it'd be broken.

Here's the thing... it's a simple fix, to make it not be totally inept. The "fire" command, for some stupid fucking reason, is actually an "assault" command. They don't just fire from their position, they lose their minds and start running into the objective like total assholes!

STAY WHERE I PUT YOU AND "FIRE" ON THE ENEMIES YOU CAN SEE!

I don't understand what these devs were thinking... single player was such an afterthought.

Yeah, so much of this game comes down to who you play it with.

I love to be super tactical and crazy patient. Full recon sweeps, tagged targets, sectors of fire, backup plans, etc. Basically like the border crossing scene in Sicario - 30 minutes of tense setup for a few seconds of precision ultraviolence.

But I notice the more people in our group, the faster people seem to want to move (which seems to be a trend with all co-op games), which leads to more alert states, unmarked enemies surrounding us, and a cycle of teammates going down and being revived, rallying up and trying to recon a bit before the next wave of enemies starts laying down fire.

To me the game is at its best when you move slowly and take out all the targets without them having a chance to mount a counter-attack. Just feels fucking wonderful when it all comes together.

But some people prefer a more GTAO style of chaos and boom-boom. Or just playing it by ear and moving forward without a plan.

Just have to find the right mix of players.

Jtrizzy

Is there anyway to have your ai teammates drive? I want to be a gunner lol. Wish this were implemented in more games. RDR had it iirc.

Is there anyway to have your ai teammates drive? I want to be a gunner lol. Wish this were implemented in more games. RDR had it iirc.
Nope, and considering how the AI drivers in the game work it'd be a recipe for disaster.

Just last night we were set up at one of those rebel supply runs, looking to steal a helicopter filled with comms equipment (so a buddy of ours could unlock his parachute skill), and we were all set up in our firing positions and almost ready to go when a civilian car rammed right through the middle of it all, slamming the helicopter, spinning around, driving in little circles, and alerting the Santa Blanca soldiers. At that point there was nothing to do but work with that chaos and try to shut it all down before the damn thing disabled the helicopter.

Murphy's Law of Open World Jank. Or should it be Ubi's Law?

Just started paying this online with a friend earlier. The dialog in this game is truly awful, the driving feels pretty bad and yet somehow I'm having a ton of fun with it all so far.

Erban1

The AI is so frustrating and inept. If not for sync shot, which is a joke-like crutch, it'd be broken.

Here's the thing... it's a simple fix, to make it not be totally inept. The "fire" command, for some stupid fucking reason, is actually an "assault" command. They don't just fire from their position, they lose their minds and start running into the objective like total assholes!

I don't understand what these devs were thinking... single player was such an afterthought.

I've been clearing bases without ever using the AI unless things go bad. But now that i know you picked this up, we definitely need to squad up.

Gaz_RB

Yep. Our co-op rules are Extreme difficulty and no minimap.

Not much room for mistakes. If an enemy gets the drop on you and you're not in cover you're fucked, right quick. Multiple unmarked enemies get the drop on you? You're whole crew could get wiped in seconds.

As it should be.

Playing in this way with 4 like minded individuals is one of the best experiences of this generation.

Keihart

https://youtu.be/AgkU63lizCs?t=11m50s

i think the devs wanted to make the AI partners detectable and more controlable but they probably ran out of time. Listen to the dev talk about the AI on that clip.

FatalT

Banned

i think the devs wanted to make the AI partners detectable and more controlable but they probably ran out of time. Listen to the dev talk about the AI on that clip.

I didn't have any problems at all with the A.I. when I played solo. Yeah, the "Fire" command is exactly that, "Fucking Shoot Everything With No Fucks Given." Y'know what though? I'm okay with that. If I fucked up being stealthy enough in the later regions where there's multiple alarms, bunkers, helicopter calls, and soldiers, then YES I want my "Fuck Shit Up" button.

This makes me think of The Last of Us where everyone was upset about Ellie not being visible to enemy A.I. which was a good thing, otherwise you'd have garbage A.I. ruining your stealthiness all the time.

Basically if you don't use any of the commands or the sync shots, the A.I. teammates are only there to revive you.

You know, to be honest, I never use the AI commands. I might try to see how that works.

The only I use is the regroup one, when I see they're way off course. The "A" to syncshot works fine. I am amazed how they can get in position to see some of the enemies though..

I do play it solo for the most part now, and try to use syncshot only when it would make sense tactically (I used it for whole based when I started).

Kadin

What frustrates me about the AI is there have been numerous times where my teammates were in clear view of an enemy yet neither engaged the other. As soon as I pop up the enemy goes mad shit crazy and instantly fires but my teammates just sit there oblivious to what's going on.

The only option in this scenario seems to select 'Fire' and then they proceed to just wipe out everyone around. There needs to be a middle ground here.

You know, to be honest, I never use the AI commands. I might try to see how that works.

The only I use is the regroup one, when I see they're way off course. The "A" to syncshot works fine. I am amazed how they can get in position to see some of the enemies though..

I do play it solo for the most part now, and try to use syncshot only when it would make sense tactically (I used it for whole based when I started).

Easy, they fire through rocks and walls. Look at them when you are about to fire to start the Sync Shot.

Keihart

The Sync shot is a sham, they don't to have a line of sight really, it's like magic.

You don't need to give orders anymore because they are not detectable and won't stay put and open fire from a desired location.

As it is, the AI is a crutch to make it easier when playing solo. They will always revive you once at least and never miss sync shots and are never detectable even if standing right by an enemy side.

But going from the video i posted this wasn't the intended state for the AI partners it seems but somewhere in development near the end they gave up and made them simpler as they are now to avoid frustration.

Heres hoping for better companions on a sequel, i really want more control over the squad so it still feels like playing in a team when soloing.

The Sync shot is a sham, they don't to have a line of sight really, it's like magic.

You don't need to give orders anymore because they are not detectable and won't stay put and open fire from a desired location.

As it is, the AI is a crutch to make it easier when playing solo. They will always revive you once at least and never miss sync shots and are never detectable even if standing right by an enemy side.

But going from the video i posted this wasn't the intended state for the AI partners it seems but somewhere in development near the end they gave up and made them simpler as they are now to avoid frustration.

Heres hoping for better companions on a sequel, i really want more control over the squad so it still feels like playing in a team when soloing.

I agree it's a sham, though to be honest I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed solo'ing the game right away without it. It acted like a crutch to help me along until I got better weapons/learned the game mechanics better. The game doesn't MAKE you use it, it LETS you use it.. which I think is an important distinction.

Now that I have a better scope/skills/etc I can choose to leave them on the hill and take out the base solo, or use them occasionally for help, and not feel like I'm cheating. However, there are times where I don't really care and just want to get "X" and I'll syncshot the crap out of the base.

Much like the multiplayer co-op, the game is pretty good at giving back what you put into it. I'm sure if you put it on easy, you could run and gun through bases action movie style, throw tactics into the wind. On Extreme you need to be slow and methodical if you hope to survive the larger areas.

I would like the AI to be better, for sure, and hopefully they improve it going forward, but I think it does an OK job for what it is, a crutch to help people who may not be up to snuff yet (or punching above their difficulty level).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
They need to adjust the trailing missions to allow for a further distance. 300m away or more and you start losing them. I was easily following someone in a helicopter but failed the mission.

Love my HTI even more now witht he long barrel.

bJfcZ8q.gif

Gaz_RB

THAT ENDING THOUGH.

I ended up really liking the story and the characters, which is more than I expected. And in a different year this might be my GoTY.

Yeah just finished he game. Shout out to Gaz and Pink.

I ended up liking these characters way more than I thought I would. Has a much better story than The Division or Watch Dogs 2 hilariously.

Bollocks

this game really is a time sink, fly/teleport across the map to the mission that gives you the resources that you need to upgrade, pick up weapon cases on the way etc, it will take some time to clear this.

So the chopper control. Why are they so horrible?! I mean the choppers that have turrets. Flying is no problem bu shooting is impossible, in GTA it was done much better. It would be nice if the co-pilot could aim and shoot.

So the chopper control. Why are they so horrible?! I mean the choppers that have turrets. Flying is no problem bu shooting is impossible, in GTA it was done much better. It would be nice if the co-pilot could aim and shoot.

There is an attack helicopter with an independent cannon aimed by the co-pilot. That's the only air vehicle that is actually viable as a weapons platform, other than a good pilot hovering for a sniper on the side to open up.

Belker

Love my HTI even more now witht he long barrel.
[/IMG]

So that's what an HTI is. I've heard people talk about it, but I can't remember the names of guns.

Sorry about the confusion last night, Ve3tro. It hadn't occured to me that people wouldn't make the connection with my posts here and messages from WildlandsGAF.

If anyone gets a WildlandsGAF related message or an invite from this avatar - it's me.
People are much better at remembering skulls in top hats than gamertags, I think.

I believe it is the only one you can use to shoot generators and drone jammers to blow them up.

Any of the sniper rifles will take out generators, it is just a matter of how many rounds it will take at the range you're at. .338 ones (L115, MSR) will do it in one shot from a few hundred meters at least.

Hyun Sai

What do I need to do to be able to call in choppers instead of cars?

It's the Tiers 3 of drop vehicule upgrade. With my friend, we decided I would never get the Chopper though, as the armored vehicule (tiers 2) with the gatling is much more useful for the convoys missions. So I won't do any more missions to upgrade it.

Let's hope for a patch that will let us choose what we want at Tiers 3.

Top Bottom