• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

I guess if all this comes to fruition we'll finally be able to play all missions at the challenging difficulty. Hopefully they're considering adding difficulty modifiers.

We will be able to play everything solo cause no more group scaling. So that's something.

To that end, they also said they scaled The Underground Operations properly as well, while doable in Challenging and Heroic difficulty they weren't very enjoyable.

That said, the solo-able aspect of the game is something they have hinted at through the game's development and after release so I hope they are really taking it seriously this time, we'll see.

EL CUCO

@ShootFirstPod @hamishbode Yes Falcon Lost is getting more checkpoints
https://twitter.com/yannickbch/status/776428554129211392

6JPunqC.gif

I love this game.

The addition of world tiers is a huge improvement with the potential to make end game progression as rewarding and enjoyable as the 1-30 experience.

Bullet King is back!!!!!!

This blog post explains the World Tier addition in detail:

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.co....aspx?c=tcm:154-267742-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Yeah, this makes much more sense when it is all laid out as before it sounded like you could just pick what Tier you played in but in reality you are placed in a corresponding Tier based on your GS...

Tier 1 = 0 to 163
Tier 2 = 164-182
Tier 3 = 183-204
Tier 4 = 205-229

Ultimately this isn't going to change a whole lot as once a player hits the qualification for Tier 4 (I would imagine most are already there) they will be choosing a Normal, Hard, or Challenging difficulty similar to before. The real improvement here will come from how well they balance player vs NPC, in a uniformed difficulty (at last, I've been wanting this for a while) across all game activities.

Tratorn

Yeah, this makes much more sense when it is all laid out as before it sounded like you could just pick what Tier you played in but in reality you are placed in a corresponding Tier based on your GS...

Tier 1 = 0 to 163
Tier 2 = 164-182
Tier 3 = 183-204
Tier 4 = 205-229

You are not automatically placed, you can choose the tier (if you have a high enough GS).
Even with GS 229 you can enter Tier 1 if you want or invite lower GS players in Tier 4.

You are not automatically placed, you can choose the tier (if you have a high enough GS).
Even with GS 229 you can enter Tier 1 if you want or invite lower GS players in Tier 4.

Why would anyone ever play in a lower Tier in regards to rewards/loot and current GS? Other than to help another player?

Tratorn

Why would anyone ever play in a lower Tier in regards to rewards/loot and current GS? Other than to help another player?

There aren't many more reasons for that obviously, besides maybe just walking around and feeling powerful. ;)
Or maybe it'll be a faster way to get crafting materials, who knows?
But well, you can do it if you want. That's all I wanted to say. Your post made it sound like you are automatically placed in a tier based on your GS.

There aren't many more reasons for that obviously, besides maybe just walking around and feeling powerful. ;)
Or maybe it'll be a faster way to get crafting materials, who knows?
But well, you can do it if you want. That's all I wanted to say. Your post made it sound like you are automatically placed in a tier based on your GS.

Massive made it sound that way...

"In Update 1.4, you will gain the ability to choose between World Tiers based on your Gear Score:

Tier 1 = 0 to 163
Tier 2 = 164-182
Tier 3 = 183-204
Tier 4 = 205-229"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I love all the changes, but damn why wasn't this thought out originally? So much bad blood now because of the mess they created. I hope they can get it out before Battlefield 1.

A lot of the info in this update reads as an attempt to attract new players (which they need to do) as a lot of it reads like the game hasn't been released yet and most players haven't experienced it or gathered just about everything gear wise the game has to offer.

Let's be honest everything but Tier 4 is going to be useless as far as feeling rewarded for your gaming time and maybe challenged and most players should be qualified for it already so there is no progressing through Tier 1-4 like they speak of..

Without a player reset and gear reset of some sort (existing players would never go for this) I fail to see what is going to draw players back to it.

Yeah, fix the core game and whatnot but without new content I'm not sure it is enough. Exploring New York and re-running story missions in Tier 4 will be fun for awhile, I guess, while we wait.

A lot of the info in this update reads as an attempt to attract new players (which they need to do) as a lot of it reads like the game hasn't been released yet and most players haven't experienced it or gathered just about everything gear wise the game has to offer.

Let's be honest everything but Tier 4 is going to be useless as far as feeling rewarded for your gaming time and maybe challenged and most players should be qualified for it already so there is no progressing through Tier 1-4 like they speak of..

Without a player reset and gear reset of some sort (existing players would never go for this) I fail to see what is going to draw players back to it.

Yeah, fix the core game and whatnot but without new content I'm not sure it is enough. Exploring New York and re-running story missions in Tier 4 will be fun for awhile, I guess, while we wait.
Well Survival DLC is coming after that so we have that. I believe thats late November/Early December.

EL CUCO

I know you had a full 30 days to milk Underground dry, Mythic, but I think I only played it for about 2 weeks till I got fed up with the end game scaling. I'd definitely be hitting that up again.

Plus we might be able to relive those glory alpha/beta days with a less frustrating Dark Zone.

Then Survival should be releasing this Fall/Winter.

fr0st

Banned
DZ would just be full of PvP since the ones mostly left playing are the hardcore ones.

Easier NPCs means more tank squads

Excited to jump back in...uh, after NHL, Forza Horizon 3, Gears Of War 4, The Witness and Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. But seriously, these all sound like changes the game desperately needs, allowing for more varied playstyles than the "you need to use x, y, z to have a chance at end game content."

Bluecondor

Ultimately this isn't going to change a whole lot as once a player hits the qualification for Tier 4 (I would imagine most are already there) they will be choosing a Normal, Hard, or Challenging difficulty similar to before. The real improvement here will come from how well they balance player vs NPC, in a uniformed difficulty (at last, I've been wanting this for a while) across all game activities.

Ya - the enemy balancing sounds really promising because they are focusing on enemy time to kill and the time that it takes for enemies to kill us. For those of us who are equipped with 229 gear, the level 33 enemies will be challenging but still manageable - especially when playing with a strong group of 4.

The balancing that they are introducing to the loot drops is really important as well. One of the most frustrating aspects of the current approach to loot is the grind necessary to get useful items. The simple change to make 229 items constant in all drops in Tier 4 (with a slight possibility of them dropping in Tier 3) will reduce the grind considerably.

For example - right now - I play with a solid group of guys (we are all 255s - each with several different full gear sets) and we often find ourselves farming the four horsemen - simply because you get four high end drops in a short amount of playtime. It sounds really promising that we will be able to get high end drops regularly just by roaming around the game world and taking on named bosses roaming throughout the open world.

It sounds like going around the game world and taking on random bosses will be just as viable a strategy for getting "good drops" than farming the four horsemen or Lexington or DZ 05/06.

Marco's video explaining world tiers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VzsOhAVyT8

Useful and better than Gear Set stat-rolled HE gear is the best news to come out of that. Another thing I was asking for as it gives the player a lot more options regarding character building.

Still, the Tier system is going to be meaningless to most sans new players as Tier 4 is going to be the only rewarding one regarding end-game character building.

Edit: He also said there was a Heroic difficulty for other game activities besides Incursions which the opposite has been reported so who knows about that but I hope that's the case.

fr0st

Banned
Useful and better than Gear Set stat-rolled HE gear is the best news to come out of that. Another thing I was asking for as it gives the player a lot more options regarding character building.

Still, the Tier system is going to be meaningless to most sans new players as Tier 4 is going to be the only rewarding one regarding end-game character building.

Edit: He also said there was a Heroic difficulty for other game activities besides Incursions which the opposite has been reported so who knows about that but I hope that's the case.

theyre probably just gonna keep the 6 heroic story missions we have and leave it at that, they did say no new content for 1.4 (not sure if more story heroic mission count as new content)

xclaw

For us hanging on it sounds like good news.... but really. I'll believe it when I see it and like waiting longer for the patch isn't doing anything good. :(

Mullah88

Soooo no more 268 GS items? Also removing enemy level 34 and 35, is that just by name? Meaning lvl 33 grunts will be as strong as lvl35 (I hope not)

Klyka

Banned
Soooo no more 268 GS items? Also removing enemy level 34 and 35, is that just by name? Meaning lvl 33 grunts will be as strong as lvl35 (I hope not)

Anything you know right now about numbers or times to kill or difficulty gets thrown out.
Don't think with current terms. Just wait till PTS

Guys, the next State of the Game presentations (including yesterday's) will be very important to watch to fully understand the upcoming changes. There is wrong information posted here and on Reddit so I suggest you watch Skill up video that gives all the details from yesterday SotG but in more than half the time it took the devs to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8EG4RLckdE&ab_channel=SkillUp

if we want to help bring more players back we have to be carefull not to spread false information.

On a personnal level, I'm really happy about the chages announced yesterday and I'm looking forward to the next SotG to learn more.

Klyka

Banned
Honestly,for me personally, I don't even care about the loot changes,I just want to be able to properly shoot and kill things again and I want to use a variety of skills.

I want to PLAY I don't give a shit about making numbers bigger.
I can't wait till enemies don't take god damn 5 magazines anymore.

GazzaGSi

They're gone. This image they showed shows the new time to kill in 1.4.
They mentioned the weapon handling so I'd expect more recoil and the like so you can't just hold the trigger down with afew accuracy/stability mods to make it abit more challenging.

I'd consider it fairly major as a quality of life thing in the game as it is/was super annoying not being able to preview with the current system/UI.

Saying it wasn't a Major thing probably wasn't the right word but with everyone talking about loot, ttk, tiers etc I don't think it's as important but still a welcomed change.

willow ve

So as someone who only has the base game - what's the best way to achieve a higher gear score? I'm too low to run Incursions and I only seem to get 163 (max) drops and vendor stock.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why not just go the extra step and get rid of gear score altogether and make all content viable for end game drops?

Seriously, please just copy Diablo 3...

Just for clarification, Challenge modes don't open up until Tier 2 (you are able to select Normal and Hard in Tier 1) and Heroic mode is exclusive to Tier 4 Incursions and no other activities (Heroic has been removed from Underground and story missions).

Uh....all content IS viable for end game drops with the change

Tier 4 drops are end-game.

---------------------------------

Just a couple other things for clarity...

Tier 4 = 229 gear (used to be 268)
Tier 3 = 204 gear (used to be 240)

No nerfs but rather just unifying the gear scoring.
High-end gear can roll with higher stats (I think I saw 794 as max on HE compared to 757 on GS items) than gear set items making them viable options yet again especially with unique talents combined with player vs NPC balancing (TTK, etc).

Klyka

Banned
Then why are there still tiers?

icTQO.jpg

You progress through the tiers. The tiers are all content.
All content drops loot. There is no content you HAVE to do to get the best loot in the game.
All content drops the best loot in the game once you reach Tier 4.
You are still doing the same content in Tier 4 that you do in Tier 1 you just raise your Gearscore.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Diablo 3 system would be that all gear you drop at level 30 is the "best" gear, but more difficult content increases the magic find/scavenging so you see twenty green drops in a single mission. As it is, it looks like they're keeping the same progression but just making it smoother, but it's like a half-step between Destiny's light levels and Diablo's GR levels.

Lima

Hopefully they also changed the scaling on he main stat for the different gear score tiers. A 268 should always have a higher star than a 240 piece.

Klyka

Banned
The Diablo 3 system would be that all gear you drop at level 30 is the "best" gear, but more difficult content increases the magic find/scavenging so you see twenty green drops in a single mission. As it is, it looks like they're keeping the same progression but just making it smoother, but it's like a half-step between Destiny's light levels and Diablo's GR levels.

Wait,so Diablo doesn't have item lvl or something? You can literally just get the best item in the entire game in a drop right after you turn 30?

huh.

weird.

Saying it wasn't a Major thing probably wasn't the right word but with everyone talking about loot, ttk, tiers etc I don't think it's as important but still a welcomed change.

Now that I have actually heard the brief discussion about previewing vanity items I'm pretty sure it only pertains to when buying them from the vendor and not previewing them in your own inventory before equipping which the latter is what I was hoping for as it is super annoying especially with the amount of vanity stuff you collect.

Now that I have actually heard the brief discussion about previewing vanity items I'm pretty sure it only pertains to when buying them from the vendor and not previewing them in your own inventory before equipping which the latter is what I was hoping for as it is super annoying especially with the amount of vanity stuff you collect.

I want to see the jacket before I equip it.

Top Bottom