• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

Tratorn

Woa, nice surprise announcement. Looking really forward to survival and 1.5 now.

PvE part on the live stream looks too easy atm though, hopefully that's just because those are still the first steps.

I haven't seen any of the video/stream so I'm a bit confused...

Does Survival take place in the Dark Zone only, the world map PvE area, the DZ and the world map PvE area, a new location, or all three?

World Tier 5 is seemingly gonna make all that Tier 4 loot/builds worthless.

darkwing

Does Survival take place in the Dark Zone only, the world map PvE area, the DZ and the world map PvE area, a new location, or all three?

T6 is going to make T5 loot/builds also worthless, same as T1 etc..

T6 is going to make T5 loot/builds also worthless, same as T1 etc..

Tier 4 was really the only one to make previous gear not as good if you had played the game regularly before.

A jump to a Tier 5 after a major update that supposedly "fixed" the core game might be viewed as too soon or even unnecessary at this point by a lot of players. A lack of variation/creativity (the game's setting with the Tom Clancy name does not really allow this) with current gear is what I blame for this as it will mostly be just getting the same gear over again with higher stats in the next Tier.

darkwing

Tier 4 was really the only one to make previous gear not as good if you had played the game regularly before.

A jump to a Tier 5 after a major update that supposedly "fixed" the core game might be viewed as too soon or even unnecessary at this point by a lot of players. A lack of variation/creativity (the game's setting with the Tom Clancy name does not really allow this) with current gear is what I blame for this as it will mostly be just getting the same gear over again with higher stats in the next Tier.

true, I suspect every DLC will have a higher tier update waiting

oh well, another reason to clear the stash lol

GazzaGSi

Very basically:

You're stranded at a random point on the outskirts of the light zone map from a helicopter crash with minimal supplies, weaponry, gear etc and you work your way to the darkzone to be extracted to complete survival. Caches are found and your score at the end of your survival run determines your reward at the end.

When matchmaking for survival you have the option to complete it PVE or PVP. PVP let's you steal other agents supplies and there is no rogue system. For playing PVP you get an increase in reward by a 1.2 multiplier rather than 1.0.

With regards to new GS and tier level etc I think alot of 1.4 and the loot rate has been made to get as many people as possible to the same level so it's almost a level playing field for everyone come 1.5.

cr0w

Old Member
My first few days back with the game since launch have gone pretty well. I've managed to get a lot of gear sets and am running a Lone Star LMG build. Spent about 8 hours in the DZ yesterday trying to get a Hungry Hog, but spent more time just getting the shit kicked out of me by groups of rogues. I did finally manage to get one on my last run of the night, so it's back to PVE for me.

I still need to try out the Incursions. I tried Dragon's whatever last night and my group just kept dying when the Collective came out. If anyone on PS4 wants to add me, my PSN is krayven1980. I tend to play in the evenings and weekends.

GazzaGSi

RIP the hog lol

Reading the changes alot seem quite positive to me and glad I kept afew of my mp7's with the base damage increase.

Interested to see how armour damage works in PVP and at least now there's a reason to consider not taking armour as a major stat roll.

Think I'll just keep my alphabridge setup now and sell everything else to clear my stash ready for the new GS items. Hope they get the scaling of level 34's right with the scale of the new GS points.

And so we start again come 1.5 :)

Did DZ XP rank-ups become quicker to level in the 1.4 update or did they stay the same? With Survival/1.5 seemingly coming soonish (gonna predict mid-December) I have nothing to do besides increase DZ level and play the PTS build.

Edit: PTS for Survival/1.5 is available through the Steam client now.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
From notes -

Added 4 new High-End named weapons (available at various gear scores depending on source):
Golden Rhino
Urban MDR Assault Rifle
Tommy Gun
Thompson M1928

I still haven't gotten a Showstopper! But that Urban MDR sounds interesting.

Hungry Hog base damage reduced 13%

Nooooooooooooooo :(

Fuck this. :(

Well... new gear/weapon here we go then.

And Alpha Bridge keeps looking like tier 1 gearset still.

EDIT:

The MP7 will get a boos and I just sold the only one I had since its base dmg was shit. :|

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Is survival free or paid DLC?

Also nice changes, they really turned this game around and their entire development philosophy it seems. Faster content output and just lots of general balancing every patch which is great. We barely had any balancing occur for the first 3 patches. Some pretty nasty shotgun nerfs there though, think they will disappear entirely on PC.

I do hope this bumping up of the gear score cap doesn't happen too frequently. Will definitely kill my drive if every major patch bumps up the max level -- hope they let world tier 5 sit for a good 4-5 months. Especially now that we are getting "legendaries" to chase after lol.

Might sound like a dumb question, but so how the hell are we supposed to break into world tier 5 if the GS cap is 229 at tier 4 lol? Will tier 4 now have a chance to drop 256 pieces and you just gotta pray for 1 to switch into that tier 5?

Yeah, an upgrade system would be handy, though at the rate loots drops now, I would imagine it'll just take a couple of days to get the same GS items at a higher score. One of the nice things is that, unless you're a hardcore PVP player, you don't really need max GS or optimized builds to do well in the game anymore, even on World Tier 4/challenging. While I've managed to bump my toughness 100k and my DPS about 60k since I first started playing 1.4, and it's definitely made a difference, even when I first hopped on I felt that if I played smart I could stay alive and do damage.

Yeah, an upgrade system would be handy, though at the rate loots drops now, I would imagine it'll just take a couple of days to get the same GS items at a higher score. One of the nice things is that, unless you're a hardcore PVP player, you don't really need max GS or optimized builds to do well in the game anymore, even on World Tier 4/challenging. While I've managed to bump my toughness 100k and my DPS about 60k since I first started playing 1.4, and it's definitely made a difference, even when I first hopped on I felt that if I played smart I could stay alive and do damage.

It's not that simple as I've been playing regularly everyday on PC and have yet to get an AlphaBridge backpack to drop since the 1.4 update hit. Even though the quantity and variety has been increased regarding loot drops, that doesn't mean you'll definitely get what you need/want in short order.

Speaking of loot, I just realized I have not gotten a single piece of BLIND gear since the 1.4 update, did Massive remove it from the game for some reason? Not really interested in it but curious nonetheless.

I'm so glad I haven't jumped back into the game yet, again so many changes that impact gear that it was pointless to min-max.

Glad the changes are coming but too frequent changes to gear and weapons will make players unhappy who grind for the perfect rolls and combinations.

Frontline set will be by main now I guess, since there doesn't seem to be a viable sniper set anymore.

Brakara

Survival is looking lit!

It's interesting.

Spoilers (I guess) ahead.

On my first try (PvE), I got to the extraction zone but got killed by the new enemy type (who can heal himself). I think you do need to team up with someone to kill him, but maybe I just sucked. You couldn't extract until you killed the enemies near the EZ, so I don't know what extra loot you'd get for doing that. But I ended up with two caches: one with an item and a gear set item, and one with two weapons. Got a new SMG, but it was kinda crap.

I did team up with someone earlier before going to the DZ, but that turned out to be a mistake since he gobbled up all the loot all the freakin' time. I ditched him, and then managed to get enough crafting materials to craft the mask so I could get into the DZ. Getting there I got "my" loot back when I found my former group member's items lying in the snow where he apparently died. Your mission in the DZ is pretty simple: find the anti virus, craft a flare gun and extract. The hard part, as described, is actually doing it. I also had to avoid a ton of NPCs just getting to the EZ.

All in all, pretty fun, and can't wait to play it again. Maybe I'll even try some PvP when I get more familiar with the mechanics.

Edit: one thing that sucked: my controller didn't work with the PTS client. Is it supposed to be like that? If so I guess I need to find a better key for jumping over obstacles as the ctrl-key is super hard to reach.

It's not that simple as I've been playing regularly everyday on PC and have yet to get an AlphaBridge backpack to drop since the 1.4 update hit. Even though the quantity and variety has been increased regarding loot drops, that doesn't mean you'll definitely get what you need/want in short order.

Speaking of loot, I just realized I have not gotten a single piece of BLIND gear since the 1.4 update, did Massive remove it from the game for some reason? Not really interested in it but curious nonetheless.
Fair enough, but if you team up with a group of three other folks a few times in the Dark Zone or doing HVTs, there's 3x greater chance one will drop/you can trade for. I was searching for two days for Tactician's Knee Pads...compared to pre-1.4, the search for loot was painless. Part of that was because I didn't feel like I absolutely needed to be already running an optimal gear set breakdown to farm (unlike the old incursions which were hard to beat with non-optimal gear).

BLIND is now called Banshee.

Tawpgun

Wait so survival is out on PC but not on Xbox?

Ah it's the private test thing.

Looks awesome tho. I never got underground but I am in on survival

Wait so survival is out on PC but not on Xbox?
There's a test server/beta. They want to collect feedback and data before deciding if it's ready to ship to everyone on PC/Xbox. Same as what they did with 1.4. From the results of that (positive if you ask me), I'd say it's much welcomed that they are getting the community to test first.

Mullah88

awe shiiiit! so selling everything but the alphabridge and predator set? thats a damn shame, including those two i had a banshee set, nomad set and the firecrest i was building! what a waste

GazzaGSi

I've been playing regularly everyday on PC and have yet to get an AlphaBridge backpack to drop since the 1.4 update hit.

First thing I bought from the vendor when I needed a fourth piece, vendor stock isn't different on pc is it?

-

We don't know when 1.5 will drop yet and for me my time hasn't been wasted at all as I've had more fun these couple of weeks with it compared to all of 1.3 sat on a box in smartphone cover. I think my current build will handle the next tier with level 34 NPCs well playing abit more conservatively.

I'm more gutted a Pro patch hasn't been announced :( it's the one thing I'm waiting for from Massive.

Dave1988

Don't forget that PS4 owners are getting fucked over yet again with time exclusivity for Xbox One/PC. We won't be seeing the 1.5 patch until late December / early January at the earliest. Plenty of time to get some mileage out of your current sets.

Tawpgun

So question about survival. Is there only one winner? Or can an entire group win? I see there is no private loot stream, so the group has to choose who gets what loot or its everyone for themselves. I assume there's still no friendly fire between group members. So what happens when you are the only group left standing?

GazzaGSi

Don't forget that PS4 owners are getting fucked over yet again with time exclusivity for Xbox One/PC. We won't be seeing the 1.5 patch until late December / early January at the earliest. Plenty of time to get some mileage out of your current sets.

They've already said we get 1.5 the same date as everyone. It's purely Survival which is earlier on Xbox/pc. Was the same when UG came out, we still got the update patch at the same time as other formats.

Brakara

So question about survival. Is there only one winner? Or can an entire group win? I see there is no private loot stream, so the group has to choose who gets what loot or its everyone for themselves. I assume there's still no friendly fire between group members. So what happens when you are the only group left standing?

No, in theory all 24 can extract.

Sarcasm

So as someone who had fun and friends who played at launch, but stopped before next content drop.

With launch of survival I am thinking of playing again, as I got season pass (thanks regional pricing), should I lvl my character then do survival?

Any tips? Especially since I am probably playing solo again.

What is UG?

It is me or is it really hard to matchmake for hard and challenging missions on PS4? Maybe it's because I am in world tier 3 and not 4? It can take a long time to find anyone doing the dailies.

riotfig

Neo Member
So as someone who had fun and friends who played at launch, but stopped before next content drop.

With launch of survival I am thinking of playing again, as I got season pass (thanks regional pricing), should I lvl my character then do survival?

Any tips? Especially since I am probably playing solo again.

What is UG?

UG is UnderGround playlist.

Also I'm in the same boat as you. Left after I've hit 30 with nothing much to do and came back without the friends I've played earlier only a few days ago. Currently restarting a new alt.

riotfig

Neo Member
It is me or is it really hard to matchmake for hard and challenging missions on PS4? Maybe it's because I am in world tier 3 and not 4? It can take a long time to find anyone doing the dailies.

I'm experiencing the same thing since I came back on. Smaller population maybe?

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly I never had issues in tier 1-3. But in 4 currently and there is definitely no issue matchmaking

FLAguy954

Edit: one thing that sucked: my controller didn't work with the PTS client. Is it supposed to be like that? If so I guess I need to find a better key for jumping over obstacles as the ctrl-key is super hard to reach.

I found a fix for that: just alt/tab out of the game and ack to the game and your controller should work again.

After experiencing the new Survival mode and liking the atmosphere and to a certain extent the new mechanics of dealing with the cold, hunger, thirst, etc I don't think I will replay it more than a couple times when it is officially launched.

It can provide some tense moments and whatnot but it is not something I would consider to be highly replayable from a fun factor standpoint. You do get rewarded with a lot of loot but you can do just as well in other game modes throughout The Division.

It's weird really as at times I felt this is exactly what The Division should be with the added survival mechanics/crafting but feel it would be better off if these mechanics were incorporated to some degree in the meat of the game rather than a two hour (it will be less than this almost always) experience. You could almost treat this game like Dying Light where as at night and during storms the game changed and added these survival tactics with objectives.

Overall, while work has clearly been put into this mode I'm disappointed with what the next major DLC from the Season Pass has become.

Edit: Maybe after subsequent playthroughs and tweaks from Massive (just got a 1.2 GB update for the PTS) I may feel differently but as of now that was my experience.

I forgot to mention after my Survival run I went back to the 1.4 version and took my solo PC player into the DZ for the first time, went from 0-28 rank in about 75 minutes of just running around and killing NPCs. I had no idea they changed the rank-up system so much for the DZ. However, the DZ Funds earned seemed rather putrid.

cr0w

Old Member
So...Incursions. Every one I've tried so far via matchmaking has been a total shitshow. Anything Challenging ends up that way, really. Is this normal or am I just getting crap groups?

For console players (who don't have access to the PTS), here's a good video on Survival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlywEYYc-8

Marco says the game mode is very rewarding, you might get 20 items in a single run (!). If you play PVP it's very risky, as you're in a server with up to another 23 players. You can group up with people or kill them.

But the Survival mechanics aren't really tough at all, Marco says he was able to complete the mode withou eating or drinking anything, he says it's not punishing enough.

GazzaGSi

After experiencing the new Survival mode and liking the atmosphere and to a certain extent the new mechanics of dealing with the cold, hunger, thirst, etc I don't think I will replay it more than a couple times when it is officially launched.

It can provide some tense moments and whatnot but it is not something I would consider to be highly replayable from a fun factor standpoint. You do get rewarded with a lot of loot but you can do just as well in other game modes throughout The Division.

It's weird really as at times I felt this is exactly what The Division should be with the added survival mechanics/crafting but feel it would be better off if these mechanics were incorporated to some degree in the meat of the game rather than a two hour (it will be less than this almost always) experience. You could almost treat this game like Dying Light where as at night and during storms the game changed and added these survival tactics with objectives.

Overall, while work has clearly been put into this mode I'm disappointed with what the next major DLC from the Season Pass has become.

Edit: Maybe after subsequent playthroughs and tweaks from Massive (just got a 1.2 GB update for the PTS) I may feel differently but as of now that was my experience.

I forgot to mention after my Survival run I went back to the 1.4 version and took my solo PC player into the DZ for the first time, went from 0-28 rank in about 75 minutes of just running around and killing NPCs. I had no idea they changed the rank-up system so much for the DZ. However, the DZ Funds earned seemed rather putrid.

Thanks for your impressions. I watched the Marco vid earlier and he also stressed at how rewarding it was if you complete and get extracted. I couldn't help but think stash size has to be increased or altered as there's that much loot you'd have to sell/deconstruct stuff to open cashes especially with the drop rate across the game, not just survival.

While I was watching the initial stream I thought it looked pretty cool but the longetivity maybe compromised once you've completed it afew times.

I had no idea the DZ rank up system had been altered, I took my alt in there the last few days for the daily assignment and thought it was ranking up quick!

UG has also been changed, I'm rank 25, barely made a start on the current level and only need under 5k XP to rank 26 which is probably 3 single phase missions on challenging with acouple of directives. I might stick in UG for abit now waiting for 1.5 to get to level 40 in case anything decent comes available at the vendor which requires rank 40.

For console players (who don't have access to the PTS), here's a good video on Survival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlywEYYc-8

Marco says the game mode is very rewarding, you might get 20 items in a single run (!). If you play PVP it's very risky, as you're in a server with up to another 23 players. You can group up with people or kill them.

But the Survival mechanics aren't really tough at all, Marco says he was able to complete the mode withou eating or drinking anything, he says it's not punishing enough.

This is great and all but you can't use the rewards in Survival mode which just seems off. You will start under-powered and the same each time and only build your character up to a certain extent whether you complete the run or not.

So here take all these rewards and go use them in another game mode. I kinda wish the Survival mode had it's own specific rewards that helped/altered your next run and maybe even a progression system as well.

Regarding the Survival mechanics, food and water seemed far less important than medicine.

This is great and all but you can't use the rewards in Survival mode which just seems off. You will start under-powered and the same each time and only build your character up to a certain extent whether you complete the run or not.

So here take all these rewards and go use them in another game mode. I kinda wish the Survival mode had it's own specific rewards that helped/altered your next run and maybe even a progression system as well.

Regarding the Survival mechanics, food and water seemed far less important than medicine.
Hmm.

But then it wouldn't be... Survival... you know? It makes sense in the game mode... I think

Hmm.

But then it wouldn't be... Survival... you know? It makes sense in the game mode... I think

With the time limit, game mechanics, etc in Survival mode it will probably become super boring after a handful of runs.

Helicopter crashes, go find mats to craft Virus filter, find clothes, stay warm, find medicine, use medicine, collect mats to craft skill, stay warm, find/craft weapon, stay warm, go to Dark Zone, craft Flare gun, call in extraction, fight Hunter, extract. Collect rewards to use in another game mode. Rinse and repeat, I guess.

The Division deserves for some of these new mechanics to be spread across the main game. It would be great to be able to feel powerful yet have to deal with the cold, hunger, thirst, medicine/painkillers, and storms. Make the day/night cycle more realistic and put values on clothing for all modes.

Top Bottom