• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Forgive all the noobish questions but can you enter the Dark Zone before max level? Is that beneficial? I suppose the game might explain this later as I progress, just curious.

Yes you can enter the DZ at any level. Before you hit lvl 30 then there are lvl brackets.

HelloMeow

The entire point is that you don't know what other Agents are capable of both in action and gear. Matchmaking based on gear and rogue status and all this other stuff would effectively kill that element of the DZ entirely.
There is a difference between different loadouts that focus on different styles and different loadouts that have plain better gear.

Sure, a few people would feel like it was more balanced but then you'd have to account for things like gear switching once already in server and
You can't move gear to your inventory inside the DZ, right?

then there's the fact that some players are just better. They pop their Ults, use consumables, and coordinate better with party members. So what then?

Then they win? I don't see the issue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem with the rogue stuff is that I just want to farm levels because you're not allowed to reach level 31 without the DZ06 BPs. If they rotated out the BPs or just had a high level PvE area that sold BPs (make all the enemies level 34 or whatever), then at least there's an alternative for people who want to gear up properly but don't really care about the rogue aspect.

(I'd honestly rather just have real PvP at this point, but I don't even know if they are interested in that)

Axial

This is rich. Just cooking up some breakfast and I was going to add some salt for flavor, but this has already given me all the sodium I need for today. Thanks.
Relax friends, no need to have your jimmies rustled, deflecting won't work either : ]

sajj316

I find going rogue an interesting twist to the PvP game. I prefer just playing the game for better loot. It can be challenging enough to get the loot in the first place and then to have it lost because someone felt like shooting you can be infuriating. It would be nice to have rogue free zones where your group and others collectively take down higher level enemies .. for better loot. It would be great to have dedicated PvP .. group and death matches.

There is a difference between different loadouts that focus on different styles and different loadouts that have plain better gear.

Not really, no. Item Level doesn't really mean shit as far as I can tell. There's plenty of ilevel 31 that isn't as good as ilevel 30 and you can literally gear up in full ilevel 30 through Challenge and with the buff to HE drops in general, you'll have HE guns as well.

So if ilevel doesn't actually give a statistical advantage then this "better gear" really is no different than coordinating gear to support a specific build or playstyle.

You can't move gear to your inventory inside the DZ, right?

Not talking about gear you want to extract. I could be 200k DPS, 65k Health, 20k Skill Power... and just put on a lower Purple/Blue gear mix... walk into the DZ then put my HE stuff back on. Unless the game actively scans the players for their gear setup at all times, that will 100% happen and it'll be even worse for new players because the guys who love to gank easy targets will be able to seek them out reliably.

Then they win? I don't see the issue.

The issue is the same one currently. You don't know what your opponents actually have. You don't know if they're fully decked out in HE's and min-maxed to an extreme... or if they're wearing purples but have stacked their gear into glass cannon and are using Suvival Link, Calling Targets, and focus firing you to oblivion. Just because you're getting rocked doesn't mean that you're actually outgeared. A good deal of the time, you're just being outplayed.

I find going rogue an interesting twist to the PvP game. I prefer just playing the game for better loot. It can be challenging enough to get the loot in the first place and then to have it lost because someone felt like shooting you can be infuriating. It would be nice to have rogue free zones where your group and others collectively take down higher level enemies .. for better loot. It would be great to have dedicated PvP .. group and death matches.
The game has this. It's the regular game world lol

Help GAF.

I have hit a wall.

Level 30 in game, level 28 DZ. I can NOT get past the 120k DPS 60k health range. I am not getting drops from the dailies/challenges that significantly up my damage. I do not have any blueprints in the vendor to buy that will let me craft weapon buffs.

Versus some of the guys I play with are taking down level 32 guys in seconds.

I have a Caduces, a Liberator, and a HE SOCOM sniper rifle that gets 80k ( :( ).

What do I need to do here?

Should I be farming the DZ and trying to stay in the higher DZ ranks exclusively? I know I need to hit level 50 asap, but real life only gives me an hour, at best, to play right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't even play real pvp. What the dark zone is... That's what draws me in. The option to play it straight or to unleash hell. So much fun.
I mean, that's fair, and honestly I'm glad you don't lose that much XP anymore so if you're a victim of a rogue it's not that bad.

But I'm only in the DZ because you're forced to go there for the end game. I feel like this is exactly what ruined Destiny for me though. Bungie spent all their resources making Iron Banner this end game thing and if all you want to do is chill with your friends and shoot shit in the face, you're told to go play something else. Massive promised that PvE would have equally good drops/gear compared to the Dark Zone and that just ended up being a complete lie.

Deku Tree

I hate when I'm playing solo in the DZ, and one minute I am alone but the next minute I am being charged from four directions by different groups. RIP

LiK

I mean, that's fair, and honestly I'm glad you don't lose that much XP anymore so if you're a victim of a rogue it's not that bad.

But I'm only in the DZ because you're forced to go there for the end game. I feel like this is exactly what ruined Destiny for me though. They spent all their resources making Iron Banner this end game thing and if all you want to do is chill with your friends and shoot shit in the face, you're told to go play something else. They promised that PvE would have equally good drops/gear compared to the Dark Zone and that just ended up being a complete lie.

Doesn't the CMs give you equally good gear as DZ?

They can yes but you can get quality gear at a far faster and more consistent pace in the dz.

Yes I know. Maybe it's just my experience .. but the loot isn't that great. Then again .. I just started doing daily missions. I want to battle 30+ level enemies in the regular map.

The challenge modes are what you're wanting. They are level 32 elite enemies for the whole mission. Places like the Russian consulate and the power plant are very, very challenging.

Think this got lost in the arguments last page, hoping someone can chime in:

So before the Special Weapons vendor reset tomorrow, anything I should make sure I have (I have about 300 PC in the bank)?

I have already purchased blueprints for the HE firearms mod, HE extended mag, and some misc. armor blueprints (mask, knee pads, backpack). Didn't get the vector cause happy with my Cad and purple M1A combo.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I go rogue simply because I like killing other players.

post-57918-Denzel-Washington-my-man-gif-I-1KVs.gif

Granadier

When I see the rogue icon flash on the mini map, I have to go try to kill them, but it's out of respect, not anger.

Like those manhunt people we mowed down yesterday when they accidentally ran into a dead end alley haha.

Pretty much. It's the thrill of the hunt.

You wanna play with me? Show me the way.

•.•

The DZ farm is more about getting packs of purples and extracting them over and over. Then using those for crafting materials to make HE gear.

The problem with the rogue stuff is that I just want to farm levels because you're not allowed to reach level 31 without the DZ06 BPs. If they rotated out the BPs or just had a high level PvE area that sold BPs (make all the enemies level 34 or whatever), then at least there's an alternative for people who want to gear up properly but don't really care about the rogue aspect.

(I'd honestly rather just have real PvP at this point, but I don't even know if they are interested in that)

Stuff that you craft from the Base of Operations HE vendor can be crafted at item level 31. Really though, you shouldn't put ilevel 31 stuff on a pedastal. A lot of it really isn't that good or is aimed at very niche playstyles.

But I'm only in the DZ because you're forced to go there for the end game. I feel like this is exactly what ruined Destiny for me though. Bungie spent all their resources making Iron Banner this end game thing and if all you want to do is chill with your friends and shoot shit in the face, you're told to go play something else. Massive promised that PvE would have equally good drops/gear compared to the Dark Zone and that just ended up being a complete lie.

Well.. Destiny has Raids for PvE stuff.. and The Division has Challenge Modes. CM's are even farmable and give a guaranteed HE item in each run. You absoultely do not need to do DZ to get HE gear. The only bar is, I believe, Gold Quality Division Tech. But to get that reliably you'd be in DZ05 or DZ06 mostly and there is rarely any actual ganking up there because the mobs are not neglible at all. They're strong, aggressive and in huge numbers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Help GAF.

I have hit a wall.

Level 30 in game, level 28 DZ. I can NOT get past the 120k DPS 60k health range. I am not getting drops from the dailies/challenges that significantly up my damage. I do not have any blueprints in the vendor to buy that will let me craft weapon buffs.

Versus some of the guys I play with are taking down level 32 guys in seconds.

I have a Caduces, a Liberator, and a HE SOCOM sniper rifle that gets 80k ( :( ).

What do I need to do here?

Should I be farming the DZ and trying to stay in the higher DZ ranks exclusively? I know I need to hit level 50 asap, but real life only gives me an hour, at best, to play right now.
Keep in mind that the DPS numbers are really pointess. Like you can stack accuracy on a gun and increase the DPS by tens of thousands, but it doesn't really mean anything if you just aim and don't hold down the trigger.
Like if you are using a Caduceus, then you should be building toward skills because the whole point of the gun is that it lets you use your skills more often.

The end game is to get level 31 BPs and then try to get perfect rolls on them (at least until Incursions come and drop set items). Since the BoO guy only sells half the armor pieces, you have to get to the DZ06 guy to buy the rest. You also need to farm gold division tech to craft the pieces, with no way to make them, so you are really forced to be in the DZ whether you want to or not.

(Also the CM rewards are only level 30, which is fine, but at some point you'll be drowning in subpar high end gear in the same way that BK made purple gear irrelevant)

They can yes but you can get quality gear at a far faster and more consistent pace in the dz.

Faster? Depends on the DZ as a lot of people farm the same routes which results in slowing down the rate at which you're killing named mobs (which are the only ones that award PC)... so that's not consistent at all really.

j_rocca42

A group of four went rogue on my group of three while waiting for a chopper. I guess they didn't know what they were in for. I popped my s-link and we all used incendiary ammo. Melted the four of 'em. So exhilarating!

I feel like people forget to use their sigs in battle quite often.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stuff that you craft from the Base of Operations HE vendor can be crafted at item level 31. Really though, you shouldn't put ilevel 31 stuff on a pedastal. A lot of it really isn't that good or is aimed at very niche playstyles.
The BoO guy doesn't even sell a chest BP though. So either you grind CM until you get a perfect one to drop or you get to DZ rank 50 and roll the one he sells there...

Well.. Destiny has Raids for PvE stuff.. and The Division has Challenge Modes. CM's are even farmable and give a guaranteed HE item in each run. You absoultely do not need to do DZ to get HE gear. The only bar is, I believe, Gold Quality Division Tech. But to get that reliably you'd be in DZ05 or DZ06 mostly and there is rarely any actual ganking up there because the mobs are not neglible at all. They're strong, aggressive and in huge numbers.
Yeah, I've been running a DZ06 loop the last few days and the rogues have not appeared as much there as they do back in the lower areas.

But I've run Lexington maybe two dozen times... so the only way to improve further really is to get level 31 gear. Or just not play the game until the Incursion drops, I guess.

Granadier

A group of four went rogue on my group of three while waiting for a chopper. I guess they didn't know what they were in for. I popped my s-link and we all used incendiary ammo. Melted the four of 'em. So exhilarating!

I feel like people forget to use their sigs in battle quite often.

This and consumables as well. Incendiary and explosive rounds can easily melt people.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
When I see the rogue icon flash on the mini map, I have to go try to kill them, but it's out of respect, not anger.

Like those manhunt people we mowed down yesterday when they accidentally ran into a dead end alley haha.

I wish they made it more obvious where the rogue was. When I open my map, sometimes it's hard to see the little red skull, especially with my character model always getting in the way.

You wanna play with me? Show me the way.
Challenge modes give you a guranteed HE drop every time, plus the chance at more from named bosses within each mission.

The vendor upstairs in the BoO sells blueprints that you can craft into level 31 gear, which are just as good if not sometimes better than the level 31 gear you can get from the dz.

The difference is that endgame gear from the regular world is behind finishing challenge modes and having enough phoenix credits. Endgame gear from the dz is behind luck of the rng from bosses and hittng rank 50.

LiK

Challenge modes give you a guranteed HE drop every time, plus the chance at more from named bosses within each mission.

The vendor upstairs in the BoO sells blueprints that you can craft into level 31 gear, which are just as good if not sometimes better than the level 31 gear you can get from the dz.

The difference is that endgame gear from the regular world is behind finishing challenge modes and having enough phoenix credits. Endgame gear from the dz is behind luck of the rng from bosses and hittng rank 50.

Alright cool. Guess i should start CMs soon. If only I can find a group when I'm on.

Granadier

I wish they made it more obvious where the rogue was. When I open my map, sometimes it's hard to see the little red skull, especially with my character model always getting in the way.

No way. Neutrals already get a free wall hack and a mini-map icon to show where the rogue is. They have enough, or sometimes too much, as it stands.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Alright cool. Guess i should start CMs soon. If only I can find a group when I'm on.
Unlike Destiny, there's matchmaking. lol

And everyone can speedrun Lexington and Lincoln tunnel these days, so even with a group of random people, you can usually clear those without a problem.

No way. Neutrals already get a free wall hack and a mini-map icon to show where the rogue is. They have enough, or sometimes too much, as it stands.
I'm with grandad on this one. It's already skewed to the non-rogue's favor in being able to locate rogue players.

I think they stealth changed it in the patch because before the patch you had to zoom in a bit to even see the flashing skulls. Now you can be at the default zoom and they show up. Or maybe mine was bugged before. But it definitely changed for me.

HelloMeow

Not really, no. Item Level doesn't really mean shit as far as I can tell. There's plenty of ilevel 31 that isn't as good as ilevel 30 and you can literally gear up in full ilevel 30 through Challenge and with the buff to HE drops in general, you'll have HE guns as well.

So if ilevel doesn't actually give a statistical advantage then this "better gear" really is no different than coordinating gear to support a specific build or playstyle.
I'm not talking about item level.

Not talking about gear you want to extract. I could be 200k DPS, 65k Health, 20k Skill Power... and just put on a lower Purple/Blue gear mix... walk into the DZ then put my HE stuff back on. Unless the game actively scans the players for their gear setup at all times, that will 100% happen and it'll be even worse for new players because the guys who love to gank easy targets will be able to seek them out reliably.
Me neither. You still need to have those in your inventory if you want to equip them inside the DZ. Have gear in your inventory that can add up to those stats? Get matched up with players with similar gear, and not with players that don't come close to those stats.
The issue is the same one currently. You don't know what your opponents actually have. You don't know if they're fully decked out in HE's and min-maxed to an extreme... or if they're wearing purples but have stacked their gear into glass cannon and are using Suvival Link, Calling Targets, and focus firing you to oblivion. Just because you're getting rocked doesn't mean that you're actually outgeared. A good deal of the time, you're just being outplayed.

So you're saying there's no difference between one player killing another player because he has twice the stats and one player killing another player with the same stats, because he knows what he's doing?

I think there's a huge difference. In one case, both players have the same chance of killing eachother and in the other they have not.

What's my best bet at HE gear? Farm bosses in DZ or Dailies on hard? Don't think I have the gear for Challenge mode yet.
Do both dailies as they give you Phoenix credits and you can farm the general assembly mission since their are 3 named enemies in it (aka 3 chances at HE, you also want to do it in hard). Just get a lot of Phoenix credits so you can buy a HE blueprint.

Tawpgun

Regarding pvp battles. Do the DPS link and the survivor link cancel each other out?

Seems like everyone rolls survivor anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom