• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's my best bet at HE gear? Farm bosses in DZ or Dailies on hard? Don't think I have the gear for Challenge mode yet.

If you're excluding CMs, then probably the dz, as the bosses are far more plentiful, in addition to HE items having a chance at dropping from dark zone chests now as well.

Daily hards will net you some chance, as you'll encounter at least one named boss (3 on general assembly).

Also keep in mind that dailies can only be done once a day, but challenge modes are infinitely farmable for PCs. The first CM of the day will net you 50 PCs, each subsequent one will net you 30 PCs. A regular daily is 15 PCs, and can only be done once.

A group of four went rogue on my group of three while waiting for a chopper. I guess they didn't know what they were in for. I popped my s-link and we all used incendiary ammo. Melted the four of 'em. So exhilarating!

I feel like people forget to use their sigs in battle quite often.

Survival Link gets popped pretty often (it's not as god mode as many think). Almost no one uses special ammo though.

The BoO guy doesn't even sell a chest BP though. So either you grind CM until you get a perfect one to drop or you get to DZ rank 50 and roll the one he sells there...

Yeah, I've been running a DZ06 loop the last few days and the rogues have not appeared as much there as they do back in the lower areas.

But I've run Lexington maybe two dozen times... so the only way to improve further really is to get level 31 gear. Or just not play the game until the Incursion drops, I guess.

If you're talking about getting perfectly rolled gear then you're aiming at the top 1 or 2% of players in terms of goals. Not trying to sound mean but if you want to reach those goals then getting a group and dealing with gank squads in the DZ shouldn't be a problem at all. Not amidst the overall madness of the sheer amount of rerolls you're looking at.

And what did you plan on doing once you were gear? Stop playing? Play CMs? Run around in The DZ? That's what you should be doing now in the sense that that's what you enjoy anyways (or if you were to stop playing then you're not enjoying the gameplay enough to play it for the sake of playing it).

There needs to be a balance between ease of acquiring upgrades and longevity. Built into this is the threat of another player setting back your progress, slightly, by killing you and taking your newly acquired gear before you can secure it.

They're still looking into the issue.

Damn. I'll just keep this thing in my stash until one drops or it gets sorted out. Whatever comes first.

I logged in before work to make sure everything was fine. Other than my internet acting up, everything seemed fine. I took it off and put it in my stash for safe keeping. As I understand, the bug only manifests when you have the gear equipped.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
No way. Neutrals already get a free wall hack and a mini-map icon to show where the rogue is. They have enough, or sometimes too much, as it stands.

I feel like it's so easy to give people the slip as a rogue unless you're on a manhunt and you have a group of folks actively pursuing you. Having to stop and open your map really slows it down, and there's no way for me to move faster than the rogue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're excluding CMs, then probably the dz, as the bosses are far more plentiful, in addition to HE items having a chance at dropping from dark zone chests now as well.

Daily hards will net you some chance, as you'll encounter at least one named boss (3 on general assembly).
It's pick your poison, but ultimately the best way to mitigate RNG is to just get BPs and craft your own gear rather than rely on a) a boss to drop the piece you need b) the piece to have the primary stat that you need and c) the piece to have a decent roll on the primary stat + any other stats you might be looking for.

It's why people just tell people to go for the AK/Vector BP first as a way to just pump up your DPS as easily as possible. It's possible to get purple weapons that are as strong, but why hope that a boss drops something you need when you can just craft it yourself?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Regarding pvp battles. Do the DPS link and the survivor link cancel each other out?

Seems like everyone rolls survivor anyway.

My gut says they don't cancel each other, but I would have to test this to verify.

I feel like it's so easy to give people the slip as a rogue unless you're on a manhunt and you have a group of folks actively pursuing you. Having to stop and open your map really slows it down, and there's no way for me to move faster than the rogue.

It's also very easy to keep up with a rogue once you've found one. And it also alerts the whole server of your presence, so it's not a situation where only people with line-of-sight are chasing you.

LiK

Unlike Destiny, there's matchmaking. lol

And everyone can speedrun Lexington and Lincoln tunnel these days, so even with a group of random people, you can usually clear those without a problem.

I'd rather have my first CM experience with Gaffers here. And I don't wanna risk being kicked like some dudes here if I end up with some shitty group that does that. I should probably purge my friend list again soon.

I'm not talking about item level.

Then what's the problem? You can get fully geared without ever stepping into the DZ.

Me neither. You still need to have those in your inventory if you want to equip them inside the DZ. Have gear in your inventory that can add up to those stats? Get matched up with players with similar gear, and not with players that don't come close to those stats.

So then people who have more than one loadout (i.e. Have multiple weapons that they switch through) and people who don't empty their bags of everything that they're not using at the immediate moment get put into higher tiers due to accumulate scoring? Your idea has glaring flaws. Multiple.

So you're saying there's no difference between one player killing another player because he has twice the stats and one player killing another player with the same stats, because he knows what he's doing?

I think there's a huge difference. In one case, both players have the same chance of killing eachother and in the other they have not.

I'm saying that you as a player have no idea what the guy who just demolished you has equipped. So the complaints claiming that they're getting killed by guys who are geared way better can not be confirmed. It's far less likely that players are just always getting killed by all these other players who are always so much better geared than themselves... and far more likely they're being outplayed.

SirDgby

Neo Member
The BoO guy doesn't even sell a chest BP though. So either you grind CM until you get a perfect one to drop or you get to DZ rank 50 and roll the one he sells there...

I believe it was confirmed via twitter a few days ago that BoO blueprints will start rolling over... there isn't a 'need' to go to the DZ if you don't like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As it is now it's hard to tell if a rogue is within 100m or on the other side of the DZ.
Pretty much. I just ignore the rogue icons on the radar because you have no idea where they are.

I believe it was confirmed via twitter a few days ago that BoO blueprints will start rolling over... there isn't a 'need' to go to the DZ if you don't like it.
I thought it was confirmed that BPs were fixed to their current stock by a developer. Did they change their minds?

Started from 0, 1, 0.

This is the ratio of green : blue : HE division tech I get from the boxes around the map.

apSaORI.jpg

Always excited to see an unopened box. Always disappointed when it's just greens and blues. We should be able to trade up.

Granadier

As it is now it's hard to tell if a rogue is within 100m or on the other side of the DZ.

Open map -> check for red square showing rogues.

It's really not that hard.

Always excited to see an unopened box. Always disappointed when it's just greens and blues. We should be able to trade up.

Bottom category in the crafting menu allows you to turn lower mats into higher mats.

Anyone?
I'm willing to try out CM, but I'm not sure if my char. is ready yet.

It vastly depends on the mission, but generally 80-90k dps, 60k health is a good starting point. CM snipers do around 40-50k damage per shot, so you need more than that or you will go down quite often.

Tawpgun

Check map for blips

Regarding the players with better gear beating lower tier players.... Welcome to loot based rpg pvp

Being able to use your better gear and feel poweful is important

Hopefully gear score update will alleviate some confusion

EL CUCO

4 of us did Lexington CM last night with 2 fresh newborn 30's, one of them being me of course. Didn't do any glitches or skip any parts and got by well. Enemies still hit like a truck but as long you're hanging back with a Snipe and have a couple strong backs to carry some of the dps load from time to time, it shouldn't take too long to clear. Having the right equipment definitely helps too. We were running Support stations with smart cover and a couple flash stickies.

Got my first gold back pack!

SirDgby

Neo Member
I thought it was confirmed that BPs were fixed to their current stock by a developer. Did they change their minds?

I believe what we were told was that they are currently static (ie. they aren't changing intentionally atm as opposed to a bug) but 'in the future' they will change and details on that would be coming.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, they should scale Dark Zone XP by gear score. If your gear score is much higher than your victim's, then you get get like 10XP. Just like how you get less XP in PvE for killing low level or red bar enemies.

I believe what we were told was that they are currently static (ie. they aren't changing intentionally atm as opposed to a bug) but 'in the future' they will change and details on that would be coming.
Oh really? Well, I know it's still only two weeks in, but... I'm at that point. And if my time is better spent grinding Lexington for Phoenix Credits instead of Dark Zone for XP and gold division tech, I kind of wish they'd just tell people that.

fuzzyset

Help GAF.

I have hit a wall.

Level 30 in game, level 28 DZ. I can NOT get past the 120k DPS 60k health range. I am not getting drops from the dailies/challenges that significantly up my damage. I do not have any blueprints in the vendor to buy that will let me craft weapon buffs.

Versus some of the guys I play with are taking down level 32 guys in seconds.

I have a Caduces, a Liberator, and a HE SOCOM sniper rifle that gets 80k ( :( ).

What do I need to do here?

Should I be farming the DZ and trying to stay in the higher DZ ranks exclusively? I know I need to hit level 50 asap, but real life only gives me an hour, at best, to play right now.

The game does a great disservice by showing you stamina / dps. There's so much else going on that those stats are pretty worthless right now. I asked this question several pages back, and the answer was gear mods. Try to recalibrate your gear to get a mod slot on every piece (gloves can't get one). You can potentially get an extra 1000 attribute points to help. Also remember that damage reduction (from armor and the Elite bonus) doesn't get counted in stamina, so 80k health with bad armor or no +elite DR is potentially worse than your 60k.

Check out this guide http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1407941-Damage-amp-You-Forums . If you're new to MMOs, the damage reduction thing might be newish to you. It's important to remember that each % counts a lot towards keeping you alive.

You should be able to buy the HE Extended magazine blueprint from the vendor upstairs in the BoO. It's a very good mod.

LiK

Check map for blips

Regarding the players with better gear beating lower tier players.... Welcome to loot based rpg pvp

Being able to use your better gear and feel poweful is important

Remember when Iron Banner promised that being higher level with better gear would crush weaker dudes but Bungie backpedaled on that. Hated that decision. I'm glad this exists in in Dark Zone. If I'm weak, I deserve to be killed by someone stronger.

noomi

So scaveging is working now? I thought it didn't really do anything before...

I saved up a bunch of mods just in case....

It vastly depends on the mission, but generally 80-90k dps, 60k health is a good starting point. CM snipers do around 40-50k damage per shot, so you need more than that or you will go down quite often.

Thx man! I'll need to work on my health then, it's still around 45k. DPS is fine, it's close to 90k.

Granadier

Remember when Iron Banner promised that being higher level with better gear would crush weaker dudes but Bungie backpedaled on that. Hated that decision. I'm glad this exists in in Dark Zone. If I'm weak, I deserve to be killed by someone stronger.

Amen

Frillen

What kind of average DPS and Health are you supposed to have to participate in a doable CM run ?

Don't look too much into DPS, damage is much more important. For some reason, Massive thinks you're going to hit targets a lot more if you boost accuracy. I crafted a new Black Market AK-74, which had a 46% accuracy talent. Basically, my DPS went from 126k to 189k. However, things like Optimal Range, Stability, Crit Damage etc. are much more important, even though they don't boost DPS as much as accuracy.

When it comes to health, I strongly advice to have at least 60k+. This will make you survive at least one close shotgun blast, which is vital.

WITHE1982

Does challenge mode scale with players or do you always need 4? Also which is the easiest one to do?

Not sure but we did most of the Lexington Event Centre with three, as the 4th was disconnected for most of our run.

I'd say it's a toss up between Lex and Lincoln Tunnel for the easiest. I've yet to fail either of them and I've played 80% with randoms via MM.

So scaveging is working now? I thought it didn't really do anything before...

I saved up a bunch of mods just in case....

It probably always worked but the drop rates were so low that it felt like it didn't. Post-patch with the drop buff, it'll be more useful.

k1t4j

Hey you handsome pro agents, need expert opinions.

I can buy a yellow weapon from the advanced arms vendors, looking at the pakhan I quite like LMGs so I think it would suit me.

Then Im thinking of buying the mythical Vector blueprint. I am no stranger to the LMG + SMG combo as I have been using it for a while now.

Are they worth it, would that be a good investment? I can already clear Hard dailies, this would just be a matter of getting started on CM gear.

Dark Zone D3 is a bit un Bryant park is doable for me but I need to go back and get ammo before extraction as the mobs are a tad stronger ;P.

DO I need anything particularly hard to get if I wanted to craft a gold weapon?

Forgive all the noobish questions but can you enter the Dark Zone before max level? Is that beneficial? I suppose the game might explain this later as I progress, just curious.

Yes, you can, I believe starting as soon as you have your Base of Operations opened up. It's a good way to get decent starter gear but I recommend playing a couple missions before going in, specifically so you have at least a heal skill and one offensive skill.

First time this has happened. A named guy in the subways of DZ03, who usually always drops 2 items, dropped 2 HE items.

A backpack and an electronics mod. I've got around 100 scavenging. Pretty excited and it was one tense extraction.

Can you let me kill you 20 times?

If you have a friend party up and go into the DZ. Then leave the group. You will be in the same instance until the server gets full and splits. Once you split have your friend shoot you until he goes rogue and you kill him. Rinse and repeat. If the server splits and you get separated just join groups again.

You can also do this to get a group of more than four into the DZ but if things get hectic its hard to tell who is an enemy player and which one of the ones are in your group of eight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I can buy a yellow weapon from the advanced arms vendors, looking at the pakhan I quite like LMGs so I think it would suit me.

Then Im thinking of buying the mythical Vector blueprint. I am no stranger to the LMG + SMG combo as I have been using it for a while now.

Are they worth it, would that be a good investment? I can already clear Hard dailies, this would just be a matter of getting started on CM gear.

Dark Zone D3 is a bit un Bryant park is doable for me but I need to go back and get ammo before extraction as the mobs are a tad stronger ;P.

The Vector is a good SMG BP because you can keep rolling until you get the talents you want. Like maybe you are a tank, so you can roll until you get the healing on crit talent. Or maybe you want to just stack crit chance/crit damage (my Vector without mods has a 50% crit chance). You could replace it with the MP5 BP you get in the Dark Zone, but the requirement of division tech means you won't have as many chances to roll it.

I don't know about the Pakhan, but there's a LMG BP as well that you could consider.

noomi

It probably always worked but the drop rates were so low that it felt like it didn't. Post-patch with the drop buff, it'll be more useful.

Nice, will give it a shot tonight then, I could probably get my scavenging skill up pretty high.... but... at the cost of serious chunk of stamina and dps :/

You can't go wrong with the vector, it's just an overall great weapon. The only other thing I would recommend would be the high end mag, and perhaps any sort of armor that you would find useful to your playstyle.

If you chasing high DPS number, you want the vector and even the black market AK. Both can roll some really great talents.

As long as you've been dismantling weapons and not selling them for credits you should have more than enough to craft a few yellows. :)

SirDgby

Neo Member
Oh really? Well, I know it's still only two weeks in, but... I'm at that point. And if my time is better spent grinding Lexington for Phoenix Credits instead of Dark Zone for XP and gold division tech, I kind of wish they'd just tell people that.

If you're concerned with always having the most options for upgrading your character, you should probably get your DZ rank up to 50 and collect gold DT in the process.

If you really dislike the DZ though, make peace with the fact you won't be able to shop those BP's and just grind your PXC to the cap (it really doesn't take that long if you find some good groups and keep resetting lexington) in anticipation for the BoO to roll over.

HelloMeow

Then what's the problem? You can get fully geared without ever stepping into the DZ.
My problem is relatively seasoned players with good gear going up against relatively new players with bad gear. I don't see what item level has to do with this. It's the stats that count. It's just the 5th time I say this.

So then people who have more than one loadout (i.e. Have multiple weapons that they switch through) and people who don't empty their bags of everything that they're not using at the immediate moment get put into higher tiers due to accumulate scoring? Your idea has glaring flaws. Multiple.
You can't use more than one loadout. You can't use three assault rifles. You can't use more than one body armor. What I'm saying is look at the best possible loadout.

I'm saying that you as a player have no idea what the guy who just demolished you has equipped. So the complaints claiming that they're getting killed by guys who are geared way better can not be confirmed. It's far less likely that players are just always getting killed by all these other players who are always so much better geared than themselves... and far more likely they're being outplayed.

You get to see their DZ rank, which often is more than enough to tell whether you were up against someone who has been playing the game significantly longer. It doesn't tell you whether they had superior gear, but come on. What are the odds a player with a DZ rank of 70+ doesn't have twice the stats of someone who just joined the party?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're concerned with always having the most options for upgrading your character, you should probably get your DZ rank up to 50 and collect gold DT in the process.

If you really dislike the DZ though, make peace with the fact you won't be able to shop those BP's and just grind your PXC to the cap (it really doesn't take that long if you find some good groups and keep resetting lexington) in anticipation for the BoO to roll over.

I'm really hoping that it does roll over. Hell, the fact that PvE BPs don't require division tech to roll make them infinitely superior tot he DZ BPs.

You can't use more than one loadout. You can't use three assault rifles. You can't use more than one body armor. What I'm saying is look at the best possible loadout.

You get to see their DZ rank, which often is more than enough to tell whether you were up against someone who has been playing the game significantly longer. It doesn't tell you whether they had superior gear, but come on. What are the odds a player with a DZ rank of 70+ doesn't have twice the stats of someone who just joined the party?
Scale XP gains/losses with gear score. Make it so that there is no incentive in killing a low gear score player. Well, unless you are just camping outside a safe house/checkpoint and just trolling people for "fun".
It'd just be nice to have a clear path to the incursion, because I'd be annoyed if the thing unlocks and it turns out my gear score is like 85 because I didn't spend enough time in the DZ despite the fact that I have all high end gear/weapons now.

Daft Punk

Banned
It's also very easy to keep up with a rogue once you've found one. And it also alerts the whole server of your presence, so it's not a situation where only people with line-of-sight are chasing you.

Not necessarily. Since everyone moves at the same speed, unless this guy is running away from you in a straight line, you can very easily give someone the slip if you know your way in and out of buildings or go down into the sewers.

Namikaze1

So we came across a rogue who was falling through the floor at the extraction point on Madison Ave. to escape us. He would roll against this one part of the wall and just fall through the floor. Ended up getting just one of us.

We then hunted him down and went rogue ourselves. Killed him twice before we were forced to switch servers due to being full.

LiK

So we came across a rogue who was falling through the floor at the extraction point on Madison Ave. to escape us. He would roll against this one part of the wall and just fall through the floor. Ended up getting just one of us.

We then hunted him down and went rogue ourselves. Killed him twice before we were forced to switch servers due to being full.

what's your play times these days? was hoping to play with you again. can you do evenings?

123rl

Eurgh...so many bugs in this game. It's unbelievable.

I tried to jump into a game with randoms. First effort: it teleported me to a brick wall and I'm stuck. I can't teleport because there are enemies nearby (there aren't) and I had to reset the game since there's no way to quit. Second effort: I got teleported to a totally different area of the map, and can't Fast Travel to the mission. I got booted from the game this time. Third effort. We all get teleported to the start of the mission but there's no way to start it.

Rage quit, switch the console off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom