• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I keep seeing female character models with ponytails in groups. Is that something they do so other people don't have the same face/hair as my character model or can I actually unlock a ponytail?

IvanJ

Banned
Just finished the story. And as I did, I ranked up to lvl 30.
But I still have 3-4 map sections I haven't cleared of side missions, collectables etc. (Currently in Kips Bay)
If I do those now, I'll basically be throwing XP away, I guess. So it's probably the best to save all those for the expansion and the level increase. I'll be doing a few dailies over the weekend to kill time until MLB releases, but at least there I get a reward other than XP to play for.

All in all, I had a lot of fun, love the matchmaking, I did all missions that way and every single one was a positive experience. Will gladly return once there are new things to do.
I don't care for going to DZ to be cannon fodder, and I really am not into spending time to slowly increase my stats.

But one question that's bugging me, just found it now: In Kips Bay, between 32 and 33rd street, there is a tool-shed with three Echo icons around it. But as I approach, there is nothing there, I stand at 00m and nothing. I have done all Kips Bay side missions. Bug or...?

Just finished the story. And as I did, I ranked up to lvl 30.
But I still have 3-4 map sections I haven't cleared of side missions, collectables etc. (Currently in Kips Bay)
If I do those now, I'll basically be throwing XP away, I guess. So it's probably the best to save all those for the expansion and the level increase. I'll be doing a few dailies over the weekend to kill time until MLB releases, but at least there I get a reward other than XP to play for.

All in all, I had a lot of fun, love the matchmaking, I did all missions that way and every single one was a positive experience. Will gladly return once there are new things to do.
I don't care for going to DZ to be cannon fodder, and I really am not into spending time to slowly increase my stats.

But one question that's bugging me, just found it now: In Kips Bay, between 32 and 33rd street, there is a tool-shed with three Echo icons around it. But as I approach, there is nothing there, I stand at 00m and nothing. I have done all Kips Bay side missions. Bug or...?

There will be a side mission that unlocks and leads to them. I got stuck on a few of those lol

Some happen after upgrades in your base, others after certain missions it seems.

kriskrosbbk

Guys whats the deal with starting a daily mission and when we all load ,the mission is not opened so I need to quit and start all over ,matchmaking etc..Super annoying.. a bug I guess?

I keep seeing female character models with ponytails in groups. Is that something they do so other people don't have the same face/hair as my character model or can I actually unlock a ponytail?

Yeah, I've been seeing them too and wondering if that's why they do it. Wonder if there'll be more hairstyles or faces added eventually

Cob32

I had pony tail as an option in the character creator. What race is your character?

bati

So much DZ salt in this thread, it's almost shocking. Are things that bad on consoles? I play on PC, mostly soloed my way to rank 50 and got ganked maybe 3 times total. The other fights were mostly 1v1 or 1v2, won most of them. Amount of time I've spent in pvp in DZ is probably less than 0.5% total though. Can't say it's much worse after the patch either.

Couple tips for solo DZers:

- stick to 31 and lower areas unless you're geared enough to take on lvl 32s solo

- DZ02 rooftop and DZ04 right side seem to be good spots for extraction. Both can be easily defended and you can spot the enemies (npcs as well as players) run up the ramps if you have the pulse scanner ready. Gives you enough time to GTFO if things look bad (4 players without gear to extract for example).

- consider your equipped skills and talents carefully. In my experience smart cover (recharger mod) and pulse scanner work great, with latter being almost mandatory. Smart cover is amazing for taking down boss spawns solo, don't undervalue it. Combat medic + Critical Save are superb talents for hairy situations.

- don't be upset about loot, especially if it's not high end. I extract ~100 purples per session and I've stopped giving a shit about them long ago. If I die at rank 50+ that's about 3.5k XP total or about 15 npcs worth of XP with my current bonus XP gear. Very small loss overall and not worth fussing over.

- craft yourself a good Vector (decent-ish dmg roll and at least one, preferably two good talents that you can activate). Carry another weapon as backup because you will be running out of ammo frequently if you don't have any ammo capacity on your gear. I recommend having a rate of fire mod on it, it can really catch some people off guard in pvp.

Cob32

Finally hit 30. Now the real game starts? What should I focus on?

Start by trying to get through your hard dailys. There's 2 of them. It's a bit challenging for a fresh 30 but very doable. You can also matchmake for this if you wish.

After you complete them I'd matchmake a party for the dz and try to get all purple armour.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
These two level 59s in the Dark Zone are murdering everyone. No one but these 2 guys are killing and no one can do anything since they do so much damage.

This shit reminds me of when level 100s go around killing low levels in WoW.

darkwing

These two level 59s in the Dark Zone are murdering everyone. No one but these 2 guys are killing and no one can do anything since they do so much damage.

DZ is working as intended

Leyasu

Banned

Get gud, stop asking for pve etc..

When some people are equipped beyond the reach of 95% of the rest, how it can be considered good or fair is beyond me.

nbraun80

So much DZ salt in this thread, it's almost shocking. Are things that bad on consoles? I play on PC, mostly soloed my way to rank 50 and got ganked maybe 3 times total. The other fights were mostly 1v1 or 1v2, won most of them. Amount of time I've spent in pvp in DZ is probably less than 0.5% total though. Can't say it's much worse after the patch either.

Couple tips for solo DZers:

- stick to 31 and lower areas unless you're geared enough to take on lvl 32s solo

- DZ02 rooftop and DZ04 right side seem to be good spots for extraction. Both can be easily defended and you can spot the enemies (npcs as well as players) run up the ramps if you have the pulse scanner ready. Gives you enough time to GTFO if things look bad (4 players without gear to extract for example).

- consider your equipped skills and talents carefully. In my experience smart cover (recharger mod) and pulse scanner work great, with latter being almost mandatory. Smart cover is amazing for taking down boss spawns solo, don't undervalue it. Combat medic + Critical Save are superb talents for hairy situations.

- don't be upset about loot, especially if it's not high end. I extract ~100 purples per session and I've stopped giving a shit about them long ago. If I die at rank 50+ that's about 3.5k XP total or about 15 npcs worth of XP with my current bonus XP gear. Very small loss overall and not worth fussing over.

- craft yourself a good Vector (decent-ish dmg roll and at least one, preferably two good talents that you can activate). Carry another weapon as backup because you will be running out of ammo frequently if you don't have any ammo capacity on your gear. I recommend having a rate of fire mod on it, it can really catch some people off guard in pvp.
yeah on PC as well here and haven't ran into much dickery, usually when i see someone or end up clearing out a camp with a random nearby, we just grab our respected loot and move on. Only tonight did I see some mayhem, it was about 4-6 rogue's held out on a roof while people tried to get to them, was kinda silly, but you could choose to mess around with them or just move to another dz area. haven't had much trouble with extractions, i mean theirs always tension when waiting, but I think that's good. If there's NPC's or random's swarming and I really want to extract I just pop survivor link and extract while eating bullets.

hydruxo

I'm fairly new to this game.

What is the best thing to do with weaker weapons? Should I sell them? Deconstruct them? My backpack is always full

Typically it's best to deconstruct because normal credits aren't all that valuable. It's far more important to have alot of crafting materials to use on high-end / superior blueprints.

k1t4j

Anyone on Xbox wants to do DZ or CM farming in 30 minutes?

Anyone of guys guy bought the DZ06 BP? which one is the best you got?

N30RYU

I'm fairly new to this game.

What is the best thing to do with weaker weapons? Should I sell them? Deconstruct them? My backpack is always full
Sell them unless it's purple. If it's purple and you already have a better one deconstruct it.

You'll need quite money to buy weapons/equip from the vendors till you craft one yourselft or a good one drops.

So should I just be breaking everything down and focusing on crafting while I level up? Built a awesome Scar H that was only level 5 last night. Love that gun so far lol.

Jorav

Anyone recommend which HE blueprints to get initially? Already have the Vector and Extended Mag. Should i get gloves next? Knee Pads? Holster? Vest?

SeanR1221

Is it worth having a lower firearm, stamina and higher tech stat to unlock talents on my guns, or keep the firearm and stamina higher, with no talents.

hydruxo

So should I just be breaking everything down and focusing on crafting while I level up? Built a awesome Scar H that was only level 5 last night. Love that gun so far lol.

Probably not worth it to craft too much before you hit level 30, because it'll all be replaced as you progress through the game anyways.

phen0m24

floating trees....well at least your aren't falling through the map and can see some of it.

Also current pace matches Destiny folks.....lets keep it rolling Destiny had a new OT every 7 days like we currently are going at now!

When you start reading a thread from the first page and realize that's where all of Destiny GAF is holed up.. VE3TRO, Tecnique, Cuco, Sushi etc. - hi guys

Almost to level 30. Taking it slow and therefore missed out on some of the good grindy bits. Played with Frenden last night who said he "has totally poopsocked this game."

WipedOut

When you start reading a thread from the first page and realize that's where all of Destiny GAF is holed up.. VE3TRO, Tecnique, Cuco, Sushi etc. - hi guys

Almost to level 30. Taking it slow and therefore missed out on some of the good grindy bits. Played with Frenden last night who said he "has totally poopsocked this game."
Man, can't get a shout out... wut?

LiK

seems like every time I went to DZ01 and 02, it's kinda dead. i assume everyone has gone off to the other zones.

I don't get it. I have 161% scavenging and have not gotten one HE weapon or armor drop from a boss. I have only gotten two HE weapon mods to drop in the DZ. It's getting ridiculous seeing purple after purple with my scavenging being so high.

Same thing happened to my friend. He was 100%+ and my Scavenging is at 24% and i've gotten 3 HE drops already (1 weapon)

Audioboxer

I don't get it. I have 161% scavenging and have not gotten one HE weapon or armor drop from a boss. I have only gotten two HE weapon mods to drop in the DZ. It's getting ridiculous seeing purple after purple with my scavenging being so high.

Only HE I've seen drop was off BK and that was after about 600-700 kills. He then proceeded to drop another 2 fairly quickly. It's just the RNG mayhem that plagues us.

I Just hit level 50 in the Dark Zone after dozens of hours of farming a meek variety of locations. I had a decent amount of battles with rogues sporadically through my time but it was never particularly thrilling as it almost always came down to who had more people and more survival links off cooldown. I now have every blueprint in the DZ... I go to craft items and to my surprise I only have 15 yellow Division tech. So I get to roll like 5 items, that's it. 50 levels of DZ and I have 15 yellow Division tech to show for it. I'm sitting here nearly 4 days of my life spent on this game. I've completed everything it has to offer at this time, every challenge mission several times. Nothing was specifically that challenging or unique, even Warren powegate with a few friends was fairly easy to complete without too much trouble. They're cool experiences but they're still just rehashed "Story missions" with more of the same enemies packed in. So I ask myself... what's keeping you playing this game? Are you going to go back in to the DZ now and go predatory on all the lesser geared players because you're bored and have all high end gear with decent rolls? Will you go back to get tech to roll more gear for that ever elusive perfect piece? To what end? I find myself revolted by the thought of spending any more time in the DZ. In fact the thought of playing any of the meagre end game offering feels kind of like a chore.

Having what I would call fully completed the game this is my takeaway.

It's a game with a good foundation heavily inspired by a legacy of great loot based ARPG games that came before it. Unfortunately it's potential has been severely limited by slapping Tom Clancy on the title. In terms of potential avenues it's growth will be curtailed by the modern day setting.

The lack of Diversity is an ever present issue. Every outfit is only slight variation of its category as is every weapon. This becomes especially noticeable when you begin to factor in high end weapon mods and attachments that make weapons feel even less distinct from others in their category. In a game about shooting guns that's a weakness that's too much to overlook and given the setting there's only so many avenues for weapons they can possibly go down.

I had some decent times playing co-op with buddies and met some nice people along the way. But my enjoyment mostly came from the people, not as much the game and the situations and challenges it provided. It's not a solid loot based ARPG yet, but it could be with alot of work. There needs to be more difficulty levels and randomized challenges, two difficulties beyond normal in a loot based ARPG is several too few. There needs to be incentive to get better gear and have overhead to reach for ever greater challenges. Changes at the mechanics level are abolutely necessary as well, especially when it comes to boss fights that will require real coordination and builds to deal with specific situations. It also needs enemy variety by the way of enemy modifiers to completely change enemy unit dynamics from fight to fight to keep play from stagnating. Gear needs to be added to provide talents that change the behavior of abilities entirely as well to provide unique and interesting build options beyond just numbers and make skills mean more than just letting you shoot longer and hit harder. How these things were overlooked is beyond me given the games heritage in the loot based ARPG space.

At this point I almost feel like I was sold an early access title. It has the foundational underpinnings for its genre, but the systems and content that make for an experience you can return to over and over without stagnating quickly simple aren't there. The Roadmap for their year one DLC reads like a map of features that an early access title would profess to include at full release.

There was a moment I wish I had just walked away and that was the day after hitting 30 in game. When I logged in to a message stating
25369967913_727bce3266_h.jpg
clicking "more details" simply brought me to the season pass purchase page. There's hardly a working end game as is and they proceed to ask me to both pay ahead of time, then wait for content I don't even know will fix any of the issues. It's maddening. Just like Destiny, The Division has so much promise marred by what seems like a rushed project that was deemed "good enough" to sell to the masses.

This is a trend that doesn't seem to be going away. But if I have to buy into it I'd rather they just call it like it is and extend development a year to release at a $100 price tag. Because it's clear to me many publishers believe a full game should be priced as such.

I'll stick around for the first free DLC, but if it doesn't blow me away then I think this is one I'll have to send up river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom