• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

Beyond annoying especially for a game centered on numbers. I kind of, you know, expect them to be accurate.
Exactly
I just got with the stat that shows up when I am highlighting the gun. No idea if that is the right one.
it changes for me when I even do that. I gave up on figuring out which is the real number.

They really need to fix that UI bug.
Relog and its back to correct values
Relogging and even restarting my PS4 didn't do anything for me. Numbers just kept on fluctuating.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Almost done with this summary of this great explanation of Damage/DPS/stats! I'll clean it up some more, too.

SURVIVABILITY (ARMOR AND MODIFIERS)
  • Armor reduction percentages build off of each other. Lets say for the purposes of this demonstration you have 65% armor mitigation, 25% elite mitigation, and 10% all damage mitigation, even though you can't really get ADR for example purposes. Lets now say you get shot for 67,500 damage:
    • 67500 * 65% (armor reduction) = Damage reduced to 23625
    • 23625 * 25% (elite damage reduction) = Damage reduced to 17718.75
    • 17718.75 * 10% (all damage reduction) = 15946.125
    • End result = You took 15,946.125 damage instead of the initial 67,500 damage hit
  • The more damage reduction multipliers you add simply increases your survival in harder content.
  • Armor gives most armor, so you should try to have that be your max armor stat--since it can have the most, it gives more flexibility with smaller gear items and their armor ratings, when it is max/near max
  • Even a single percent of damage reduction is more than worth it because of how EDR Effective Damage Reduction works. Let's say you take 100,000 damage and I'll show just how big of a deal this is:
    • 100000 * 90% = 10,000 Damage
    • Gain 1%: 100000 * 91% = 9,000 Damage
    • Gain 4% more: 100000 * 95% = 5,000 Damage
  • Always make sure you have multipliers to stack for mitigation.
  • When hit with damage, damage model hierarchy is:
    • Bullet based?
      • If Yes, uses armor value first, then elite reduction
      • If No (like fire or a bleed), uses exotic dmg resistance first, then elite reduction
    • ALL other resistances (like burn and shock) are added after initial dmg reduction is applied
  • Maxing out something like bleed resistance can save you in difficult encounters
  • If running with less than 59% damage reduction, you are insanely squishy and will have trouble with harder content (i.e, purp/gold shotgunners)
  • It is currently impossible to get above 65% damage reduction through armor. 4650 armor should be your maximum that you have. If this changes I will update to reflect that change.
RECALIBRATION
  • Sample ideal roll for kneepads:
    • 1st slot - High Mainstat
    • 2nd slot - Armor
    • 3rd slot - Enemy Armor Damage
    • 4th slot - Elite Protection
    • 5th slot - Elite Damage
    • 6th slot - Skill Bonus
    • 7th slot - Gear mod slot <-super valuable, mandatory at high level
  • Re: recalibration, it's fantastic but only ONE stat can be rerolled. If you have a shitty roll on gear and isn't a big upgrade otherwise, forget about it. If talent is worthwhile, reroll main stat to try and at least improve build
STAT DISTRIBUTION
  • Focus on one stat--balanced hurts you in the end. End game missions rewards diverse teams in specific roles, don't be jack of all trades.
    • Tank = Stamina
      • Need decent damage, too, or your threat will be too low. Threat is based on damage, with threat % stacked on top of that. If you aren't the biggest threat in the room, you aren't the tank.
      • MY INTERPRETATION: Sounds like it artificially boosts your DPS, but not in a way that's damaging to enemies? For example, if you do 75k DPS and a friend does 85k DPS, they are the bigger threat. However, if you have a 19% increased threat stat, the enemy would perceive you as doing ~89k DPS, and you would be the biggest threat.
      • Stamina gives raw health; second best survivability stat behind armor.
    • Tech/Healer = Electronics
      • Goal is to keep buffs up and keep people alive. Whether healing, doing damage, or providing buffs, you want short cooldowns.
      • Liberator (skill weapon) significantly reduces cooldowns.
      • Skill power is capped at 45k; after that, no longer increases damage/buffs in skills.
        CAN use performance mods to get beyond this cap.
      • Skill build should consider skill-based HE like Cadeceus or Liberator
    • Soldier (Straight Weapon DPS) = Firearms
      • Commit! Run Pulse and Booster Shot for maximum firepower at all times.
      • CMs should have at least one high DPS build
      • Firearms points simply increases damage by 1% each point.
WEAPON DAMAGE
  • Weapon DPS in The Division is skewed and doesn't accurately display your actual damage. What the Weapon DPS calculates is the crit of your weapon, the damage per shot, the rate of fire, magazine size, accuracy, and stability and then puts all those stats into a mythical scenario in which every bullet hits the target. Because of this, the displayed weapon DPS you get is never going to be truly accurate. The things you need to care about most are:
    • Damage per shot
    • Crit Chance
    • Crit Damage
    • Weapon Damage % increase
    • Stability: When using a weapon, you can look at the recoil pattern and see if you want to focus on horizontal stability, vertical stability, or overall stability and this is particularly noticeable on weapons with a high rate of fire. 
    • Optimal Range: Range is extremely important because it dictates from how far away you are still dealing the full amount of damage. If you take a base AK, it's optimal range is about 25-30 meters.
  • Accuracy is NEARLY useless.
    • For most assault rifles, sniper rifles, SMGs, and some LMGs, the accuracy that is with the weapon is perfectly fine.
    • Shotguns don't need it, so if you stack accuracy on a shotgun you are just wasting stats.
    • In some cases accuracy CAN be beneficial. What accuracy does is provide a tighter grouping of shots, which is ideal for longer range engagements. It's also good for burst fire, ensuring more shots land on the target
    • Most weapons can even have increased accuracy as a talent, which can completely negate the need to ever put more accuracy on a weapon especially with the range limitations.
    • If your weapon has at least a third of the bar filled with accuracy and you aren't shooting from super long range, then you don't really need it that much.
  • Weapon types have built in perks
    • SMG - Comes with lots of crit, short range only. Stack Crit Damage, headshot damage, crit chance, and reload speed/magazine size.
    • Marksman Rifle - High Headshot damage. Increase optimal range, headshot damage, reload speed, and fire rate.
    • Assault Rife - Medium to Long range weapon. Increase Stability, Weapon Damage %, headshot damage, and magazine size
    • LMG - Great for suppressing enemies and laying down a large amount of fire without frequent reloading. Increase Stability, Mag Size, Fire Rate, and Weapon Damage %
    • Shotgun - Up close and personal kings. Semiautos are vastly superior to pump and double barrel shotguns. Increase Headshot damage, weapon damage %, mag size, reload speed
    • Pistol - Excellent to finish off an enemy that is below 30% health. Health is the colored bar, not the white pips on the enemy health bar, that is the armor they have. increase range, accuracy, mag size, reload speed.

WEAPON MODS
  • If you want to get the most out of your gear, you have to not care about the looks of your weapon. Function over aesthetic.
    • Optic - Any scope or sight falls into this category and rolls 4 stats: optimal range, crit chance, headshot damage, accuracy. It seems to be random, but without a scope blueprint I can't be certain.
    • Handstop - Rolls accuracy and the various stability types.
    • Grip - Rolls general stability as well as accuracy or another alternate stability type.
    • Extended Magazine - Rolls more mag size, obviously, as well as crit chance, crit damage, weapon damage, or rate of fire.
    • High Velocity Magazine - Rolls crit and either mag size, crit damage, weapon damage, or rate of fire.
    • Muzzle Break - Rolls Stability and either accuracy, alternate stability types, reduced or increased threat, crit chance, and crit damage.
    • Loud Muzzle Vent - Rolls increased threat and either accuracy, stability types, crit chance, or crit damage.
    • Suppressor - Rolls reduced threat and either accuracy, stability, crit chance, or crit damage.
  • DPS (even with being aware of DPS skew) shouldn't be only factor--assault rifles may do more DPS than sniper rifles, but sniper rifles generally do more damage per shot. Best way to really see how effective they are is to see how quickly they take down elites and bosses in Hard Modes (General Assembly is recommended for this, with multiple
    bosses)
RECOMMENDED WEAPON BUILDS
  • Shotgun
    • Magazine - Weapon Damage % and mag size. Reload speed can be a replacement for mag size.
    • Sight - Optimal range and headshot damage. If you have a lot of crit chance in your gear, you can swap range for crit chance.
    • Grip - Stability
  • Assault Rifle (recommended: crit build)
    • Talents: Deadly, Brutal, and Accuracte, Stable, Self Preserved, or Destructive
    • Magazine - Mag size and rate or fire
    • Muzzle break - crit damage and stability.
    • Handstop - Stability and Accuracy
    • Optic- Crit chance and headshot damage
  • Marksman Rifle (recommends not bothering with them unless you build for crit; otherwise, they can be outperformed by other weapons)
    • Getting your crit to about 25% or more is what you should aim for as well as over 80% crit damage. You also need the talent that gives you bonus damage % based on how far away you are from a target.
    • Magazine - crit chance and crit damage
    • Muzzle Break - Crit Chance and Stability
    • Handstop (not all DMRs have one) - accuracy and stability
    • Optic - Headshot damage and crit. Optimal range can replace headshot damage if you are shooting really far away
  • SMG (shocker, recommends crit build)
    • Perfect SMG would have talent to increase crit chance, crit heals you, and crit or headshot damage boost
    • MP5 is superior to Vector in every way except slightly lower base damage
    • Talents: Self Preserved, Deadly, Brutal
    • Magazine - mag size and crit damage
    • Muzzle Break - Stability and crit chance.
    • Grip - Double stability or stability accuracy
    • Optic - Headshot damage and crit chance
    • NOTE: If you can reach a reasonably high crit, which I would say is roughly 50-55% crit, I recommend swapping out the crit chance in the muzzle break to be crit damage.
  • LMG (great for suppression bonus, so very good to have one in a group)
    • Talents: Self Preserved, Deadly, Ferocious
    • Magazine - mag size and crit
    • Muzzle break - stability and crit or accuracy
    • Handstop - accuracy and stability
    • Optic - crit and optimal range
  • Sidearm
    • Don't underestimate a good sidearm! Recommend to never use pistols that can't have the magazine, small undermount, and muzzle modded unless you are using a sawn-off
    • Magazine - Weapon damage % and mag size if less than 10 rouns, otherwise reload speed
    • Suppressor - Reduced threat and stability. You want this because if you are in a group and are down to your pistol, the last thing you want is to gain aggro.
    • Laser Pointer - accuracy and stability
CURRENT BEST IN CLASS WEAPONS
  • SMG - MP5 Navy/MP5 ST
    • Where to get it (MP5 Navy) - Blueprint, DZ06 vendor, costs Phoenix Credits, requires DZ rank 50 to buy
    • Where to get it (MP5 ST) - Random drop
    • Superior to Vector; MP5 ST is best but can't be crafted, Navy is very close second. ST can fit any size scope, Navy is just small
  • Assault Rifle - Military SA58
    • Where to get it - Blueprint, DZ06 vendor, costs Phoenix Credits, requires DZ rank 50 to buy
    • Burst fire but most power assault rifle in the game. Highest base damage, decent stats--shorter range than some but tight burst grouping by default. ROF increase w/mag makes it shred. Can look effectiveness at further ranges, but great with SMG AR combo
  • LMG - Black Market M60 E6
    • Where to get it - Blueprint, DZ03 vendor on 39th and 6th ave, costs DZ credits, requires DZ rank 50 to buy
    • Despite being lower level (30), its better than higher level SMGs like tactical M249. Slower ROF but higher damage and good at suppression, which is goal of LMG. Deals serious damage. Lvl 31 would be best, but blueprint is great start
  • DMR - First Wave M1A
    • Where to get it - Random Drop
    • Superior to all other versions because of large underbarrel slot. Equivalent dmg to bolt action rifle, higher ROF, and larger mag. Nothing else competes--other DMRs need to be buffed, in fact!
  • Pistol - Tactical 1911
    • Where to get it - Blueprint, DZ03 vendor on 39th and 6th ave, costs DZ credits, requires DZ rank 50 to buy
    • Full mod slots (except optics) so it can be modified to fit in with the rest of your gear. Level 31 drop has potential to be superior, but this does the job

This is amazing! Thanks, Anton! :D So...all the best HE weapons are only available in DZ. Sigh. I'll trudge to it, then.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This is amazing! Thanks, Anton! :D So...all the best HE weapons are only available in DZ. Sigh. I'll trudge to it, then.
No, it is not.

While its a good compilation it's far from BIS slot items.

While I'd argue MP5 is the BIS SMG the AK is far superior to the rifle mention above.

Only one I agree with is SMG and MMR/DMR, even then M44 is on par with M1A.

Until they issue a weapon balance patch the only relevant marksman rifles are the M1A and the M44.

I agree, mine is balls even though it's HE and I am not high enough yet to get the M1A pattern. Too many of them hit like shit, mine has something stupid like a 400 rate of fire and 37 shot clip, which inflates the dps score but does piss for headshots =/

Edit: I finally got revenge last night. I was extracting noticed some twats lurking behind me, popped survival link, they shot at me and I ate the bullets, clipped on my loot turned around and mowed the fuckers down. Felt good finally defending against them for a change.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I agree, mine is balls even though it's HE and I am not high enough yet to get the M1A pattern. Too many of them hit like shit, mine has something stupid like a 400 rate of fire and 37 shot clip, which inflates the dps score but does piss for headshots =/

Edit: I finally got revenge last night. I was extracting noticed some twats lurking behind me, popped survival link, they shot at me and I ate the bullets, clipped on my loot turned around and mowed the fuckers down. Felt good finally defending against them for a change.

There are no M1A patterns :cry:

Is the army spec ops helmet from the season pass?

No, it's separate DLC. Two cosmetic packs for $5 each.

Ted

Well the equipment screen is bad for optimizing.
You need to equip, check character sheet and so forth.

Of course it's a UI issue but normal imo.
Give UI mods and we'd be good!

Character sheet is a bit busy. That and the important stats ultimately being in a vertical long scroll panel makes it a bit of a pain. I feel I'm all scroll down, remember a number, scroll up, remember another number, scroll miles down, do sums. I'd almost like those stats in a wider horizontal panel with couple of duplicated but individually scrollable columns for easier number contextualisation.

Numbers and tings

I've pretty much never played a loot/rpg game so take everything I say with a full tablespoon of salt but a year plus of pretty much solid MMOFPS shooter play (PS2) has led me to think more in a general hits to kill way rather than DPS. Though both are always total theory/number craft unless your target always has a known health and shield pool it is still more useful than DPS, for me at least.

I usually think the same is true for health and damage mitigation. So on this side of your scenario, 80k health/40% mitigation vs 50k/55%, the first requires more shots to take you down. For easy sums, and ignoring near OHK weapons and crit chances/multipliers, let's say you're hit for 10k a shot. With this output other dude needs 14 (13.333) hits on target to kill you on ex1, and only 12 (11.111) on ex2.

Whether survivability matters more than offensive power is a pretty personal thing. I'm finding most success with a tank build for general purpose pvp play but I'm an in their face adad dancer rather than a considered marksman so I need a little more room for those doh/err moments!

I suspect this is like telling granny how to suck eggs though. :)

LiK

I keep forgetting to check the Base vendor for colors. Don't wanna miss on one I like. Tired of using the boss colors cuz everyone is using them.

Ellite25

Two questions:

Is there a way to quickly tell whether a weapon mod in a shop is better than the one you already have on your weapon? It's hard for me to drop credits on it when I can't tell whether or not it's better.

Is there a way to see the base stats of your current weapon without de-moding it? When buying a new weapon the base is always lower than my current because of the mods so I have to take everything off my current weapon to accurately compare the two.

Bizazedo, KingofCrash, myself, and a mutual friend took on two teams of four who kept going rogue and murdered all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zza3x9c6iyE

Killing two teams of 4 rogues each working together with just us 4 was....

Arousing.

This is how y'deal with it, Sumptuous :) They even tried to camp a safehouse.

Man, that was fucking insane. What the video doesn't show is that before this happened, we had been engaging them in DZ02 for quite some time. They were camping the safe house and killing people as they were leaving. But they were not very well geared as the video showed, we were melting them pretty quickly. The only reason we would be killed is we'd be outnumbered, usually 3 on 1 or so. But that was pretty satisfying running up to a huge group like that and wiping them out. I was the only one who went down and died out of my group. I downed 2 people before dying, so my group did the rest.

Too bad none of them were higher rank rogue than they were. I still got a shit ton of XP though.

Granadier

Just realized that explosive rounds count as exotic damage, so they bypass player armor. That's why they do so much damage.

whoa.jpg

fuzzyset

Just realized that explosive rounds count as exotic damage, so they bypass player armor. That's why they do so much damage.

whoa.jpg

So the explosive rounds deals 2 hits of damage per shot? Looks like one big one (~60k in the video which must be exotic dmg) and then the regular bullet (~8k in the video must be the actual bullet reduced by armor). I thought explosive was bullet + small AOE? Man, this game can be so obtuse sometimes.

Is there a way to pull combat info from the PC version? Like a basic combat log all other online RPGs have? It'd be useful to help figure these things out.

Silvard

GAF Agents, question for you.

I have 10 HE Division Tech after getting a decent holster and gloves (and lucking out on a chest), so I can roll 3 more things from DZ Blueprints. Luckily they're adding more HE DT sources to the game because as a mostly solo DZ player farming that stuff is incredibly frustrating, so I kinda want to use this.

My question is what better to use it on? MP5 or M44? Something else?

Right now for primary I have a Vector with Deadly, Self-Preserved and Responsive, so pretty good.

I also have a HE SRS A1 with Meticulous, Brutal and Determined, as well as an assortment of superior M1As of different flavors and perks.

I have HE level 31 on every armor slot, with ~3k Firearms, ~2k Stamina and 1.5k Electronics, 58% mitigation and 23k skill power.

Which craftable is the smartest choice?

Granadier

So the explosive rounds deals 2 hits of damage per shot? Looks like one big one (~60k in the video which must be exotic dmg) and then the regular bullet (~8k in the video must be the actual bullet reduced by armor). I thought explosive was bullet + small AOE? Man, this game can be so obtuse sometimes.

Is there a way to pull combat info from the PC version? Like a basic combat log all other online RPGs have? It'd be useful to help figure these things out.

Explosive rounds just adds an explosive charge to your bullets. So the bullets work normally, but then there is a chance (based on ROF) that an explosion will happen as well.

The regular bullet is treated as normal (factors in damage mitigation), as well as the explosion (which is AOE) if it procs. That explosion is then mitigated by exotic damage resistance.

Hence it hitting for ~10x the damage of the bullet.

I have a doubt: I have the Vector 45 HE Blueprint. If I craft it again and again will I get better values each time? If not, what can I do to get better DPS with it? Also, what are the Division Tech for?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So what is the aim in this game? Same idea as MMO's/Destiny? Get to max level and ignore everything else till then?

I would say that the story is somewhat engaging enough to keep you entertained while you are getting to max level. But after that, yeah it is mainly a loot game with some serious challenges at the end. I paid attention to the story and thought it was pretty good. Alot of the collectibles that are optional add alot of flavor/character to the story, but if you are ignoring it all in the rush to max level you miss all that.

ch4fx_

I have a doubt: I have the Vector 45 HE Blueprint. If I craft it again and again will I get better values each time? If not, what can I do to get better DPS with it? Also, what are the Division Tech for?

Unfortunately there isn't a sure fire way to increase the stats on what you craft, it's all RNG. You could get a god roll on your first attempt, or you could craft 1000 garbage items.

Division Tech is used to craft blue prints you buy in the DZ, high end division tech (HE DT) is pretty much the rarest thing in the game, so start looking for it ASAP.

HoodWinked

it doesnt get better you just get different ones.

division tech is for crafting blueprints which are bought in the dark zone. crafting these are horseshit cause they are just as expensive to craft as non dark zone bought blue prints 5/3 HE mats PLUS 3 HE division tech mats.

cakely

So what is the aim in this game? Same idea as MMO's/Destiny? Get to max level and ignore everything else till then?

It's a little more like Diablo III. Get to max level and then run bosses in CM to get your gear as good as possible.

Best gear currently is level 31 High End gear with good rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom