• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was certainly skeptical of all the people saying the Darkzone PvP wasn't good enough and "there was no reason to go rogue". Ubisoft decided to make the changes and I had a feeling that griefers would ruin the game for others and here it is.

As someone who played a ton of Diablo 3 hardcore I will agree that forced PvP and griefing is short lived fun, but the reality is when you don't have a choice in the matter it is downright infuriating.

I suppose when there is enough end game content that you don't have to participate in Dark Zone activities it will be fine, but for now, my condolences.

Yeah there isn't enough PvE content currently. For the OP they might find some fun with Incursions.

I totally understand people wanting to do the DZ without Rogues interfering. It's fine when it happens once or twice in a long play session, but being harassed like that so much becomes activating and simply not fun. People won't play games they don't have fun with and we want as many people to play online games like these otherwise they die.

I'm not sure but I think 31. It's not worth worrying about anyways, the AUG and ACR are 30 for example and they're my favorite weapons. I'm honestly not sure what Item Level is supposed to signify other than being slightly 'better'.

Just wondering since those are the only non Level 31 items I have equipped. I know the Gear Score they are implementing will take all of that into account.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Anyone on PC I'm gonna run some side missions for a couple of hours to get the last few points to upgrade my base, level 27 with base at 90/90/90 right now, wouldn't mind company. PrinceEggTarts on UPlay.

So I'm grinding out for DZ 50, but I have to say, reading this thread is kind of killing my interest. Seems like once I do get there, then I've grinding out PC for blueprints, and then grinding out Division Tech to roll those blue prints for specific sets.

I'm having a decent enough time running solo through DZ1-3 and mowing down guys. But I've definitely noticed that any drops I get in the DZ are basically useless. Even running challenge modes hoping for good HE gear drops and not having much luck there either. (Stats are basically just good enough to solo, 120ish DPS, 70k Health, 15kish Electronics)

I'm looking forward to incursions, and the other stuff in the April update - but kind of wondering if it makes more sense just to hold off. If all I've got waiting for me is MORE farming, and at an even more ridiculous bottleneck... well at least the grind to DZ50 has been fun so far. Maybe I'll hit that, craft what I can and come back for the update.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Don't base your enjoyment on the salt within this thread or the players that have near max gear. The game is fun as hell, and there is a lot of enjoyment to be hand during the trek to DZ 50.

Plus in two weeks there will be a whole host of new content.

Iceman829

Don't base your enjoyment on the salt within this thread or the players that have near max gear. The game is fun as hell, and there is a lot of enjoyment to be hand during the trek to DZ 50.

And the new content is free for everyone

EL CUCO

QFT

quest

Not Banned from OT
And the new content is free for everyone

The problem with the new content as described by the developers is out of the reach of the average player. It be like blizzard making new content in D3 but only people who can clear it are those who can clear greater rift 103. So unless you are rolling with a elite crew the new content is worthless. The new content is clearly aimed at the top 5% of players. So the DZ still will remain the end game for 95% of the population. And no I don't consider killing 20 cleaners in a day or week real content as an alternative to the DZ.

Supply drops and a new challenge mode mission is a "whole host of new content"?

soultron

Banned
The problem with the new content as described by the developers is out of the reach of the average player. It be like blizzard making new content in D3 but only people who can clear it are those who can clear greater rift 103. So unless you are rolling with a elite crew the new content is worthless. The new content is clearly aimed at the top 5% of players. So the DZ still will remain the end game for 95% of the population. And no I don't consider killing 20 cleaners in a day or week real content as an alternative to the DZ.
Didn't the developers say that there's Hard and Challenging difficulties for Incursions? It probably won't take very long to get the gear sets, I'm guessing.

Bruno

You can get the new sets from challenge modes, the dark zone, or the operations. You're also making quite a stretch comparing it to "only people who can clear GR 103".

Granadier

Supply drops and a new challenge mode mission is a "whole host of new content"?

Supply drops in the DZ.
Gear set items
Incursion (two difficulties)
Loot trading
Assignments
Spectator cam

For a month out, that's pretty good.

Supply drops in the DZ.
Gear set items
Incursion (two difficulties)
Loot trading
Assignments
Spectator cam

For a month out, that's pretty good.

Loot Trading largely irrelevant at this point. A nice addition hardly a content update.

New Incursion - From what I've read isn't a "raid" like many were hoping but just another small mission with a boss at the end like the current challenge missions providing little replay value.

Gear Sets- Unless it completely modifies abilities in interesting ways, it will just be higher number version of the armor we already have, which frankly is kind of boring.

Assignments are just checklist tasks. Kill X enemy Y number of times.

Spectator cams- To be frank should have been included at launch.

This is like their launch patch basically for the game a month in. I was hoping for a real solid piece of end game content. I may be wrong, but from what I read from their post it doesn't look like this is it.

What is the point of the Advanced Weaponry vendor if he stocks the same 2 "advanced" weapons every single day?

Also if we could have one day without Lexington as one of the three daily missions, that'd be great.

Is Scavenging broken? A friend of mine has 40% scavenging and last night in the space of 2 hours or so in the DZ he got 4 HE drops, including an MP5 and the Midas. Meanwhile mine is 126% and i got nothing :'(

ERMint13

Is Scavenging broken? A friend of mine has 40% scavenging and last night in the space of 2 hours or so in the DZ he got 4 HE drops, including an MP5 and the Midas. Meanwhile mine is 126% and i got nothing :'(

Theory circulated that anything over 100% resets the scavenging stat. IE 126% is 26% scavenging. I think it was a Reddit thread.

I've had better luck at 96% then I did at 240%. But it could all just be dumb RNG luck.

theWB27

Loot Trading largely irrelevant at this point. A nice addition hardly a content update.

New Incursion - From what I've read isn't a "raid" like many were hoping but just another small mission with a boss at the end like the current challenge missions providing little replay value.

Gear Sets- Unless it completely modifies abilities in interesting ways, it will just be higher number version of the armor we already have, which frankly is kind of boring.

This is like their launch patch basically for the game a month in. I was hoping for a real solid piece of end game content. I may be wrong, but from what I read from their post it doesn't look like this is it.

So you were expecting game changing content this quick? Or are you gonna boil every new thing down to nothing because reasons?

So you were expecting game changing content this quick? Or are you gonna boil every new thing down to nothing because reasons?

No but when you release a game like the Division (ARPG/MMO) without a solid end game and then announce something like an "incursion" people have an expectation based on past precedent. Then they announce it's basically just a new challenge mode mission, it's kind of disappointing and the other things don't really soften the blow.

SkylineRKR

I'm not sure but I think 31. It's not worth worrying about anyways, the AUG and ACR are 30 for example and they're my favorite weapons. I'm honestly not sure what Item Level is supposed to signify other than being slightly 'better'.

31 has higher cap on stats.

So for example, you can roll a level 30 kneepads and end up with anything between 400-510 armor, the level 31 version would likely end up with 440-550. So you could roll a worse level 31 item, but also a better one.

Granadier

damn son, guess I can't argue with that. may as well pack up my game now.

giphy.gif

No but when you release a game like the Division (ARPG/MMO) without a solid end game and then announce something like an "incursion" people have an expectation based on past precedent. Then they announce it's basically just a new challenge mode mission, it's kind of disappointing and the other things don't really soften the blow.

I get ya, but there is nothing wrong with backing off the game and coming back when the content is there to support it. My play time has really fallen off since I have all HE gear and I'm not interested in chasing big numbers just because. Incursions don't sound like something that will hold my interest that long, but I'll get a little entertainment out of them. I've already got my monies worth out of the game so any little bit extra is gravy to me.

leng jai

45 minutes into the Warrengate Challenge and the entire group gets network errors and we're booted back to the start. Terrible.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
4 hours of bambi hunting. Great battle at the end with some players. That shock turret is a nightmare.

spyder_ur

31 has higher cap on stats.

So for example, you can roll a level 30 kneepads and end up with anything between 400-510 armor, the level 31 version would likely end up with 440-550. So you could roll a worse level 31 item, but also a better one.

I get that, but most or at least many HE blueprints either are level 30 or 31. So if the distinction is just slightly better stats, it's kind of meaningless.

I dunno - unless the Item Level has another use it just seems pointless - the stats speak for themselves.

Macrotus

You have a point.
Some of them are "features" rather than "content".
Gear sets might be new content, but they're obtained within Incrusions or other modes like CMs or DZs which are already present in the game and its not a thing that adds a new play area/zone or anything.
So I understand what you're saying.

As for Incrusions, I was also one of the people expecting a huge raid,
but a person few pages back said, theres going to be multiple ways/tactics to defeat the boss,
so unlike generic raids you see in MMOs, maybe we'll see some diverse gameplay, even if its short.
So I'm looking forward to how that plays out.

I would really like to see some additional PvE content though, which uses the PvE zones.
Something like Greater Rifts in Diablo would be nice. Or maybe level 32 mobs spawning across the PvE area which are on a daily CD, so that DZ won't die out. (DZ still will get supply drops, so there are still reasons to go in there. Of course people who want to PvP as well.)

Granadier

4 hours of bambi hunting. Great battle at the end with some players. That shock turret is a nightmare.

You're a monster™

---

I love this whole "even though it's short" conversation.
It took Ubisoft's QC team multiple days to even beat it once on challenging.
Also, we have no idea how long it will take to get to the final boss room, or what will be involved.

You all need to calm down.

spyder_ur

You have a point.
but a person few pages back said, theres going to be multiple ways/tactics to defeat the boss,
so unlike generic raids you see in MMOs, maybe we'll see some diverse gameplay, even if its short.

I would really like to see some additional PvE content though, which uses the PvE zones.
Something like Greater Rifts in Diablo would be nice. Or maybe level 32 mobs spawning across the PvE area which are on a daily CD, so that DZ won't die out. (DZ still will get supply drops, so there are still reasons to go in there. Of course people who want to PvP as well.)

I hope the Incursion tactics are this varied, but I'm skeptical. I'm guessing the way you'll beat the boss is the same way you do every other encounter in the game - make sure your stats are high enough and pour hundreds of bullets into them. I'm just not sure the setting, enemies, gameplay and weapons allow much more dynamic encounters. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

The city being alive after you hit 30 is really sorely needed - it's a shame they built such incredible world and you run through it once or twice. That seems like a big change though and the focus seems to be on the DZ.

You have a point.
Some of them are "features" rather than "content".
Gear sets might be new content, but they're obtained within Incrusions or other modes like CMs or DZs which are already present in the game and its not a thing that adds a new play area/zone or anything.
So I understand what you're saying.

You mirrored some of my earlier write-ups in a more compact way. I feel like they need to make a decision whether to go full ARPG or go MMO. If they do MMO they need to have mechanically driven raids and sift to more traditional Rock-paper-scissors mechanics, and establish a clearer line between roles. Enemies ala Mass Effect that have different types of health and weapons that are suited for different types of adversaries.

If you are going to go the Diablo direction you have to have an end game that continually scales in difficulty e.g Diablos Torment system/Rifts or Path's Additional Maps. Enemies also need to have unique modifiers that can drastically change the way enemies are engaged.

The problem falls into the non segregation of PVP from the main game with the Dark Zone (content has to be balanced around play in the DZ) Most MMO type games address this by separating PVE and PVP gear. The second issue falls into the theme and setting. Being based in modern day NY with grounded in reality weapons and gear makes it much more difficult but not impossible. For instance adding enemies with significantly higher health and no armor, and then having weapons that are better against armor yet worse against flesh targets for instance would be a good step. As would additional drone, vehicle or turret enemies that are incredibly heavily armored, have few weak spots and are near immune to traditional small arms fire, but have a weakness to EMP type weapons and abilities would be another good addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom