• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

GmK

Neo Member
From the patch notes 1.1

I don't understand this, does that mean that DZ will be split into different gear levels? so that Bambi 30's won't get rekt by Elite 30's?

Yes, the player level 30 darkzone will be divided in below and above Gear Score 160. This is so that fresh 30s don't run into HE equipped 30s.

(and no, you won't be able to equip gear with lower score to be placed lower, the game checks your complete inventory for the highest possible gear score you can have, and places you accordingly)

From the patch notes 1.1

I don't understand this, does that mean that DZ will be split into different gear levels? so that Bambi 30's won't get rekt by Elite 30's?
Bambis with gear scores under 160 will be in their own fabled lands. Folks with gear scores over 160 will be put into instances together. This is a win for the people currently getting creamed on the streets lol.

But I have a feeling not a whole lot will change. Bambis are still going to get pummled in the light zone, and there'll still be bambis with gear scores over 160. Good gear is irrelevant when you're standing at an extraction with your back turned haha.

ChrisW

Rank 90 requirement just means I'll go on constant manhunts until I hit 90, it's surprisingly easy to rank up when you're constantly going rogue, I went from 62 to 64 in an hour by constantly going rogue and simultaneously hunting rogues, it was the most fun I had in the DZ.

Shoot on sight and flee, make sure to get Rouge level 03 or above first though.

There is a few areas on the map that I wish they would address that can be manipulated by players who have gone rouge. They shoot up onto a roof and then the 2/3 or 4 of them just watch the ladders or cables and if they hear anyone coming up them, they have such an advantage at taking down the other person that they can survive manhunts easily because people give up trying and dying

theWB27

Those who play more will always be rewarded for it. The issue is the average player won't be rewarded for their time thanks to the DZ 90 or Incursion progression. It probably take 500 hours to get the privilege of getting good gear now. The grind to DZ 49 has been just incredibly slow. I can't imagine doing that grind 10-15 more times to get to DZ 90.

But what are the devs supposed to do? Implement micro transactions for this who don't have the time to grind? If you have a better way for players who have an hour a night to play to keep up with those who have all day I'd love to hear it.

ChrisW

Bambis with gear scores under 160 will be in their own fabled lands. Folks with gear scores over 160 will be put into instances together. This is a win for the people currently getting creamed on the streets lol.

But I have a feeling not a whole lot will change. Bambis are still going to get pummled in the light zone, and there'll still be bambis with gear scores over 160. Good gear is irrelevant when you're standing at an extraction with your back turned haha.

Well I'm pretty well geared up with HE equipment, but still get creamed in about 2 seconds against some players who are rouge, so I'd like to see maybe a third instance; Below 160, above 160 and above 200

B-Man

I was gone for the weekend, logged in yesterday and got a message to check with the rewards vendor for my season pass supply drop, i went to check and it was all green level 4 items, is that it really ?

Yes, the player level 30 darkzone will be divided in below and above Gear Score 160. This is so that fresh 30s don't run into HE equipped 30s.

(and no, you won't be able to equip gear with lower score to be placed lower, the game checks your complete inventory for the highest possible gear score you can have, and places you accordingly)

Does it check your stash?

Tjamato88

Loving this game so far. Add me on PSN my username is TJ_Electronica. I'm level 13 but really want to grind out some missions tonight.

When should I start going into the DZ?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
All these complaints about "grinding" and things being out of reach for the average player.

Go play some Diablo or WoW. Then come back and see if the "grind" feels excessive or not.

The Division OT3: my backs all fucked up, I need some meds bad

Speaking of, has anyone else spoken up about doing OT3?

HMD

There is a few areas on the map that I wish they would address that can be manipulated by players who have gone rouge. They shoot up onto a roof and then the 2/3 or 4 of them just watch the ladders or cables and if they hear anyone coming up them, they have such an advantage at taking down the other person that they can survive manhunts easily because people give up trying and dying

Yeah that area is where I usually hole up when I get overwhelmed, It's really difficult to combat, but using the security link and having an entire team climb up those ladders with explosive bullets and electric turrets ready usually wipes the rogues out.

GmK

Neo Member
Does it check your stash?

They haven't said anything about that, at least from all the material and streams I checked / watched. It has been a very generic "The game will know what you have" statement and no clear detail yet on the way it checks.

Paertan

Loving this game so far. Add me on PSN my username is TJ_Electronica. I'm level 13 but really want to grind out some missions tonight.

When should I start going into the DZ?

You can start going in now. Matchmake either in game or find Gaffers with similar levels. Should be a few with alts or other new players.

All these complaints about "grinding" and things being out of reach for the average player.

Go play some Diablo or WoW. Then come back and see if the "grind" feels excessive or not.

If you want to defend the grind in this game, say why it's good. Not that it's 'less bad' than other games.

knitoe

Guess, you haven't play D3 recently. It has smart loot and your uber items don't become out of style, for at worst 3 months.

Deku Tree

Since they check the gear in your inventory, I wonder how many people are gonna stick to gear score 159 and throw all their higher end gear into an alt character while in the DZ. stay in the lower bracket, that's gonna be a lot easier than going against people at max gear score in the higher end bracket.

I wonder which bracket will become the default PvE farming bracket too.

But what are the devs supposed to do? Implement micro transactions for this who don't have the time to grind? If you have a better way for players who have an hour a night to play to keep up with those who have all day I'd love to hear it.

Reduce the grind requirement. I hope the update brings gear that has the "increased DZ exp" perk. That would reduce grind. Anyway I'm just gonna wait to see what they lock behind DZ90 requirement. And dz75

The Division is not WoW. Community managers say the division is not an MMO every time they are on stream.

Macrotus

Grinding to DZ90 with like 200xp per mob ... They should offer more DZ pve activities, like daily quests or something.

I feel the same.

I don't mind them setting a DZ90 requirement, but the DZ rank leveling is pretty boring and repetitive. Either kill mobs in DZ or kill rogues/non-rogues.
They need to add more ways to gain DZ exp. (not just assignments which is probably like "kill x rogues" or "kill x mobs in DZ" which we're already doing.)
Its not about the "grind", but is about the "diversity" of grinding imo.

Like, look at games like WoW. They have various ways of gaining Valor points and Conquest points. I know WoW has a long history, but Massive could learn from them.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Who said anything about keeping up. I don't think any one expects to keep up with those who can put in 10 hours a day. But they expect a chance to get something good time to time or make progression. Basically the average person will be stuck from DZ 50 till 90 with no real progression. That is just way to wide of a gap for no progression or reward.

Who said anything about keeping up. I don't think any one expects to keep up with those who can put in 10 hours a day. But they expect a chance to get something good time to time or make progression. Basically the average person will be stuck from DZ 50 till 90 with no real progression. That is just way to wide of a gap for no progression or reward.
Dz75 is between dz50 and dz90

Granadier

If you want to defend the grind in this game, say why it's good. Not that it's 'less bad' than other games.

The Division is not WoW. Community managers say the division is not an MMO every time they are on stream.

Guess, you haven't play D3 recently. It has smart loot and your uber items don't become out of style, for at worst 3 months.

That was praising the game. Its progression system is even more forgiving to the casual player than Destiny's. I'm not really sure how much easier it can get without just handing the items out at the rewards vendor.

it is a glitch though, your medkits should decrease to 5 or whatever when unequipping the medic pack.

No, it's using your available items to your advantage. Guess "+% ammo capacity" should take away your ammo if you unequip? Nah.
There's so many issues that could arise by doing that, and there's no reason not to allow it.

theWB27

So what is your solution? They should make it easier to level? Because then they'd still have to reward the grinders with better stuff and we'd be at the same point.

I don't blame massive focusing on those who put in the hours.

New info sounds good.

I'm assuming for DZ post-patch, you could always join a friend that is in a lower level DZ bracket and just wreck shit in there.

Or have an alt that is DZ level 15, go into the DZ, invite high level friends, leave and join back on them with your main character.

Deku Tree

New info sounds good.

I'm assuming for DZ post-patch, you could always join a friend that is in a lower level DZ bracket and just wreck shit in there.

Or have an alt that is DZ level 15, go into the DZ, invite high level friends, leave and join back on them with your main character.

That would be too easy. Ubi can't be that dumb. Especially when they are having your gear score calculation check your inventory.

I assume that if anyone in your group has gear score over 160 then your whole group gets moved to an instance with gear score over 160.

I think the only thing you can do is put your higher end gear in the stash or put it on an alt and force yourself to be gear score 159 and stay in the lower score bracket.

Wonder if the best gear only drops in the above 160 instance.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I can do OT3 if you want.

gGEjwU1.gif

i love the assumptions. how are people so sure 75 is the new 50 instead of 40 being the new 50? wouldnt it be more logical for them to be lowering the bar as new HE gear is introduced?

if dz50 rolled gear is the "entry level" for incursions, bringing it down to 40 lets more people in. whats the problem?

knitoe

That was praising the game. Its progression system is even more forgiving to the casual player than Destiny's. I'm not really sure how much easier it can get without just handing the items out at the rewards vendor.

Unless I was misunderstanding, you were saying D3 is more "grinding" then The Division. Nope. In D3, you can get many "HE" gear per rifts. Plus, you can get credits to gamble for class specific gear slots. With the Division, I'll be lucky to get a random weapon every 1/5 CM runs.

deadduck

New info sounds good.

At the moment low levels can join high levels in the DZ, but not the other way round.

They'll move everyone to the high level DZ.

deadduck

If dz50 rolled gear is the "entry level" for incursions, bringing it down to 40 lets more people in. whats the problem?

People just assume the worst, rather than look at the positives.

Angry Gamer, Disgruntled Gamer, Angry Joe... So many people are full of entitlement and rage. So boring.

At the moment low levels can join high levels in the DZ, but not the other way round.

They'll move everyone to the high level DZ.
Yep. A lower scored player will always get bumped into a higher scored players instance, when teaming up, just like how it currently is.

Granadier

Unless I was understanding, you were saying D3 is more "grinding" then The Division. Nope. In D3, you can get many "HE" gear per rifts. Plus, you can get credits to gamble for them. With the Division, I'll be lucky to get a random weapon every 1/5 CM runs.

Correct. The amount of "candy" you get in D3 is greater then this game. But that mainly changed with Loot 2.0. In Vanilla D3 the loot was often crap or subpar, and it was rare that you would get something interesting. Now you get a lot of shiny, interesting drops, but if you are working towards a specific endgame build it still requires a lot of grinding.
This game's grind to "top tier" gear is relatively short. Just ask anyone here that is sitting above the future 160 bracket. I wouldn't even be opposed to them extending the grind so long as they improve the candy like D3 did.

i love the assumptions. how are people so sure 75 is the new 50 instead of 40 being the new 50? wouldnt it be more logical for them to be lowering the bar as new HE gear is introduced?

if dz50 rolled gear is the "entry level" for incursions, bringing it down to 40 lets more people in. whats the problem?
Or just get to 50. It's really easy.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So what is your solution? They should make it easier to level? Because then they'd still have to reward the grinders with better stuff and we'd be at the same point.

I don't blame massive focusing on those who put in the hours.

That was the mistake blizzard made with vanilla D3 they focused on the 5% and drove away 75% of their player base. This game has a 1 year plan so to go from 50 to 90 in month 1 was a mistake. They should of went to 65 for the first DLC that would of left room for the rest of the year. The grinders will still be rewarded because their gear will simply have much better stats like in D3. The top 5% don't need a whole different tier of gear to be rewarded. Getting an extra 30-50% power by having simply better stats is more than enough reward like D3. It be like blizzard locking ancient gear behind either GR103 or Paragon 2000.

Deku Tree

Correct. The amount of "candy" you get in D3 is greater then this game. But that mainly changed with Loot 2.0. In Vanilla D3 the loot was often crap or subpar, and it was rare that you would get something interesting. Now you get a lot of shiny, interesting drops, but if you are working towards a specific endgame build it still requires a lot of grinding.
This game's grind to "top tier" gear is relatively short. Just ask anyone here that is sitting above the future 160 bracket. I wouldn't even be opposed to them extending the grind so long as they improve the candy like D3 did.
that's because of all the farming exploits though. New players don't have it as easy.

that's because of all the farming exploits though. New players don't have it as easy.
New players do have it easy. The whole leveling system is simplified to an almost silly level where all you need to do is just play the game and you'll just keep leveling up.

It's not hard. It just takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom