• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

It is fun going rogue and killing unsuspecting players or getting hunted but I'd prefer a true pvp mode personally.

I don't think it's even fun, but it's the only reasonable way to level once you're past like 50. XP from surviving rogue scales, mob XP does not.

k1t4j

Don't understand why everyone is in such uproar over the crafting nerf, I mean if I recall correctly Reddit had topics, upvoted on the front page, asking massive to start working on the next set of gear because people by now had near perfect rolls on their gear.

This was around Friday, on the week of release, with that logic in mind people had a month's worth to hog crafting materials right? Another funny thing was that in the same place there were topics that read "If you aren't 30 by now you're doing it wrong" again shortly after release.

Also there's so many posts about, how to farm this guy, exploit that run, this gives me the impression people have lots of mats, no? If you farmed Hutch, Hornet, the police academy, Bullet King, makes sense that you have all the mats you need no? If you run DZ in groups of 8, surely you filled your stash several times? If you hack in the DZ surely you can extract anytime you want and fill the stash?

For those that took their time reaching 30, did not exploit the game this is a slight slap in the face, but that's what exploiters do, they ruin the game for others and eventually for themselves.

Sorry for the rant, it's just my take on it. Hope I didn't offended anyone.

HAL-x9000

I´m really taking my time with this game and this is fun! I working on my equip for every darkzone bracket. Right now, I´m level 24 and darkzone level 52. It´s really awesome to be at the top of the level bracket in the darkzone with good gear, so you can be a serious threat ;)

Don't understand why everyone is in such uproar over the crafting nerf, I mean if I recall correctly Reddit had topics, upvoted on the front page, asking massive to start working on the next set of gear because people by now had near perfect rolls on their gear.

This was around Friday, on the week of release, with that logic in mind people had a month's worth to hog crafting materials right? Another funny thing was that in the same place there were topics that read "If you aren't 30 by now you're doing it wrong" again shortly after release.

Also there's so many posts about, how to farm this guy, exploit that run, this gives me the impression people have lots of mats, no? If you farmed Hutch, Hornet, the police academy, Bullet King, makes sense that you have all the mats you need no? If you run DZ in groups of 8, surely you filled your stash several times? If you hack in the DZ surely you can extract anytime you want and fill the stash?

For those that took their time reaching 30, did not exploit the game this is a slight slap in the face, but that's what exploiters do, they ruin the game for others and eventually for themselves.

I don't know if the crafting nerf is a response to the BK exploit and such, if so, then that's punishing non-exploiters for a dev oversight. Someone posted the math earlier, and a HE item would cost 4x as much to craft: that's more akin to a punch than a slap imho.

That being said, I haven't kept up with the patch notes and streams so maybe they intend to raise the drop chance of items across the board and the crafting change ends up being a non-issue. We'll see how it goes.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I love the game, and I enjoy the ease of matchmaking and being able to play with my brother. I was concerned about the crafting nerf, but then I got to thinking about the inclusion of incursions and recalibration now taking only credits and I think it's more a "correction" and not a nerf.

They're trying to nudge people into earning gear via missions and, once you find the piece you like via RNG, make it easier to tweak it just right.

Hopefully incursions will be a great way to get drops.

So I teleported to a safe house last night after a daily mission. And on the floor of the safe house lie a dead agent, whom I then revived.

Dude then proceeded to go refill his ammo like nothing happened.

Like, at least tell me how did you die in a safe house.

Paertan

So, in which DZ drop the first HE? Only lvl 16 DZ so im getting killed in a sec so i can't go in a high dz easily.

Supposedly the chance of HE increases as you go higher. But never seen any real evidence of that actually being the case. You might as well stay in DZ01-DZ02. Chance might be lower but you will kill bosses faster compensating for the lower chance.

Fastest way to level DZ rank is killing level 30 purple enemies in DZ01-DZ02. Unless you successfully go Rogue.

Eirulan

I love the game, and I enjoy the ease of matchmaking and being able to play with my brother. I was concerned about the crafting nerf, but then I got to thinking about the inclusion of incursions and recalibration now taking only credits and I think it's more a "correction" and not a nerf.

They're trying to nudge people into earning gear via missions and, once you find the piece you like via RNG, make it easier to tweak it just right.

In my opinion, phoenix credits are much easier to earn than normal credits, so I don't agree with you on the part that recalibration will be "easier".

Kabouter

Tbh, I've crafted dozens of AKs and the best one (the one I use) is only mediocre, and now they're making that process four times as expensive. I also still use several purple things. It's just an artificial way to extend the game to me, it doesn't add challenge, it just adds a greater time requirement.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't think it's even fun, but it's the only reasonable way to level once you're past like 50. XP from surviving rogue scales, mob XP does not.
You know it ;)

And as I said on discord, new patch is adding a lot of artificial difficulty, unnecessarily so.

1.1 = Time > Challenge/Gear > Skill

Fistwell

It's just an artificial way to extend the game to me, it doesn't add challenge, it just adds a greater time requirement.
Exactly. That community manager that was having a stream earlier mentioned he feels that "acquiring good gear should be difficult, makes it more special." But there's nothing challenging about endlessly hoarding mats and hoping for a good roll. It's tedious, busy fucking work.

TitusTroy

how do I activate Challenge Mode?...I'm currently at Level 30 PvE and Level 29 DZ but when I go into any Mission I previously completed I only see Normal and Hard Mode...what am I missing?

vivftp

Dang, it seems that everytime I want to visit the Dark Zone to pick up some Division Tech I find the place picked clean. I don't seem to have much luck finding a fresh server. What do you guys usually do in that case, log out and back in?

Also just to confirm, can any named boss in the Dark Zone potentially drop HE weapons? Do specific bosses drop specific weapons? I know I've received HE armor from named enemies outside the DZ, but I'm not sure if they can also drop guns.

I'd also read that the locked chests in the DZ can drop HE gear, but what about the large chests that don't require keys? Do they have the potential to drop HE? Thus far I've only gotten purple gear from them.

Thanks!

CSJ

Don't understand why everyone is in such uproar over the crafting nerf...

<SNIP>

You answered yourself :p

how do I activate Challenge Mode?...I'm currently at Level 30 PvE and Level 29 DZ but when I go into any Mission I previously completed I only see Normal and Hard Mode...what am I missing?

Only 4 missions have Challenge Mode, Lincoln Tunnel, Lexington Event Center, WarrenGate Power Plant, Russian Consulate.

If your not geared well or have a strong party id only attempt the first two.

Fistwell

Only available on 4 missions: Lincoln tunnel, Lexington center, that power plant thing, and russian consulate. The option for challenging is there below hard. Dunno if you need to do something particular to unlock it, maybe finish general assembly?

Beaten with a stick.

ISOM

Exactly. That community manager that was having a stream earlier mentioned he feels that "acquiring good gear should be difficult, makes it more special." But there's nothing challenging about endlessly hoarding mats and hoping for a good roll. It's tedious, busy fucking work.

These guys at Massive don't seem to have a plan or design philosophy to how they want to expand and improve the game. It just seems like changes that are made from week to week. This doesn't bode well for the expansions honestly and as the game gets more content.

Cob32

These guys at Massive don't seem to have a plan or design philosophy to how they want to expand and improve the game. It just seems like changes that are made from week to week. This doesn't bode well for the expansions honestly and as the game gets more content.

I agree with this. It's almost as if they didn't anticipate the players progessing so fast and now have to implement these panick nerfs to make the current content drop last until the next.

TitusTroy

Only 4 missions have Challenge Mode, Lincoln Tunnel, Lexington Event Center, WarrenGate Power Plant, Russian Consulate.

If your not geared well or have a strong party id only attempt the first two.

what about for those Daily Missions?...I noticed on the map for today's Daily Mission it said 'Challenging'...are all Daily Missions considered Challenge Modes?

Hamish on stream defended the crafting changes, said they wanted HE and even legendary drops to feel special so you would remember when you got them (Destiny pre-release anyone)?

Basically saying Division is not a loot game. :(

darkwing

Hamish on stream defended the crafting changes, said they wanted HE and even legendary drops to feel special so you would remember when you got them (Destiny pre-release anyone)?

Basically saying Division is not a loot game. :(

it's not a loot game? lmao

Yeah the stream was mostly pointless. He wants people to tell them why they think the changes are bad, not just that they think they are bad.

Has he not been reading up on the clearly articulated OPs on the reddit hot list? There's a lot of groinrage posts as well but there's some really well done counterpoints to why this crafting change is going to hurt the game and drive people away.

As death said, it seems like they don't see their own game as a loot-driven affair, which is one of the biggest reasons people would want to keep playing. If you stifle the rewards and waver the path to get them, you're going to gate out a lot of casuals. The hardcore players will (mostly) always stick around, but that's not who you need to try to keep hooked.

They have their priorities backwards, plain and simple.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

This works in Diablo 3 because every rift run is randomized, so you don't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. You're also always increasing the difficulty and always, through small increments, improving your character.

But at this point everyone has already routed all the Challenge mode maps (since there are only 4), and with only one Incursion, I have no doubt that people will find a way to finish it in the same time it takes to finish a Lexington run now.

So you're just going through the same level over and over again in the hopes that RNG will provide you with the gear you want - 6 gear items x 3 gear sets x 3 primary attributes = 54 possible drops, before even accounting for rolls and whatnot. If the PvE end game is to just replay the first Incursion over and over again, then we're at the exact same problem we have now... except you're getting set items instead of HE items and the pool of potential drops is even larger. (This assumes that completing the Incursion guarantees you a set item drop in the first place and not just a "chance" at a set item ala Destiny).

Of course, they've already said there will be set item BPs (these so-called level 32 items in the patch notes, I would assume), so again people are going to be pushed toward those for a chance to minimize the RNG and get the piece they want. And we're back to where we are now, except I imagine these level 32 items will take even more farming to craft.

boot the game for the first time in a week.

First DZ boss drop a cool yellow. Going for extraction. A random purple two shot me.

SMH.

I go back loot's there. I demande extract again. A random player clear dz with me. I start to extract. I get downed in 2 frames. The guy just rapped me in the back, so casually.

Fuck this game.

I can't find pleasure in farming the same missions. I can't progress in the DZ...

I think they want each HE to feel like an exotic from Destiny? If Destiny is a loot game, what is Division

But that makes no sense, since HE items can be crafted and they roll with random stats and talents.

If they did that only for the named HE items, that would have made more sense.

What they should have done is make the HE named weapons more powerful and rarer to drop, and remove their blueprints so they would be drop only, no crafting.

For the regular HE items, reduce their stats or limit their talents but let players craft as many as they can with their mats so they can get rolls to suit their builds.

FeD.nL

But that makes no sense, since HE items can be crafted and they roll with random stats and talents.

If they did that only for the named HE items, that would have made more sense.

What they should have done is make the HE named weapons more powerful and rarer to drop, and remove their blueprints so they would be drop only, no crafting.

For the regular HE items, reduce their stats or limit their talents but let players craft as many as they can with their mats so they can get rolls to suit their builds.

Exactly. The named HE's should be a rarity of it's own due to their special talents. The other HE's are all about getting that god roll which will take you a shitton of mats as it is unless your the luckiest SOB on the planet.

darkwing

boot the game for the first time in a week.

First DZ boss drop a cool yellow. Going for extraction. A random purple two shot me.

SMH.

I go back loot's there. I demande extract again. A random player clear dz with me. I start to extract. I get downed in 2 frames. The guy just rapped me in the back, so casually.

Fuck this game.

I can't find pleasure in farming the same missions. I can't progress in the DZ...

that's unfortunate, basically DZ is the end game, especially stuff at DZ lvl 90

Wolfe

I'm saying that it's not a simple fix. You can't just flip a switch and magically have it "not count" anymore. The only surefire way to make players not receive the bonus after removal, (with the way the game functions currently), would be to remove the bonuses entirely from every piece of gear.

The amount of "negative" impact that this has is not nearly enough to warrant a complicated fix like what would be needed.

Alright that makes sense, my apologies then. I was just confused as to why it wouldn't be that simple seeing as I haven't kept up with the games equipment issues much (though I've obviously noticed weirdness with display numbers at times).

All these changes just continue to punish the people who didn't take of advantage of the game in the initial weeks of release.

Not sure how they expect Dark Zone to be remotely balanced at all when they keep going down this path.

All these changes just continue to punish the people who didn't take of advantage of the game in the initial weeks of release.

Not sure how they expect Dark Zone to be remotely balanced at all when they keep going down this path.
That's a good point that I haven't seen brought up.

The players who exploited and cheesed in the first few days who have everything and are decked out with the best possible gear remain as thus, which is fine... But the people who level slowly or only have time to play on occasion- their path to being powerful and being on par with other players just got 5x longer, essentially. This change is going to massively punish a lot of people who have been playing the game legitimately or at least, at a slower pace than others.

The more I think about it, the more obnoxious it becomes.

The gear score split in the dz won't help as much as they think it will. There's a lot of dividing lines with this crafting change, and it's going to break up the community in-game to even bigger extremes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The gear score split in the dz won't help as much as they think it will. There's a lot of dividing lines with this crafting change, and it's going to break up the community in-game to even bigger extremes.
The fundamental problem is that unless gear score takes into account rolls, it's largely irrelevant to determining how well equipped a player actually is.

The fundamental problem is that unless gear score takes into account rolls, it's largely irrelevant to determining how well equipped a player actually is.

Also, what's stopping me from putting on low score gear and getting into the sub-160 bracket, then equipping my HE gear and wrecking everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom