• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incursions definitely sound like this game's take on a raid. But yeah, we will have to see how its structured before we really know what it is.

I'm curious what everyone's take on a raid is. Because in every game I've played with "raids" it's doing an instance with a group larger than a standard party. Last info I saw, Incursions are still a four man group.

Did raids somehow become synonymous with "fight mechanics?" If that's the case most five man dungeons in WoW are raids.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So I picked it up from Redbox on PS4, played in the Xbox one closed and open beta.

Holy fuck did this game deliver, so much to do. I am a level 17 in PVE and haven't even touched the DZ yet. Yea I need to buy this.

The only aspect I would like to see added is straight up competitive multiplayer, reduced health all that jazz.

The mechanics feel so much like Socom 2 to me that it would just be incredible!!!

spyder_ur

Poop. What a shitty system. I have to deliberately try to gain as little XP when I play solo so I don't fuck over my group.

It's a silly system. I can kind of understand it in hard mode, but in normal they should just have the enemies a set level and scale damage down accordingly. I'd like to play with my friends but I hopped in with them yesterday and would have made their mission unmanageable.

Does anyone else have severe sound problems on ps4? Lots of times the sound dissappeared and never came back so I had to restart the game.

Tovarisc

What's the tl;dr?

Praises engine and world that devs build with that engine. His contact to end game is through talking to people who are doing it and basically rises concern that many are feeling about PvE and DZ endgame. Hopes that game had more interactions with the world and people in it. Doesn't see it as RPG in any way.

In the end somewhat positive about the game and hopes he can get past gameplay design (enemies not dying to 1-2 hits) so he could enjoy game more.

j-wood

They need to implement what Diablo 3 did. Lower players scale up to the higher player in terms of health and damage. Only for missions, dark zone is a no go.

bjaelke

What's the tl;dr?
Acknowledges that it's a good game but not for him. Then goes on to list a wide variety of complaints (bullet sponges, fanboys, tedious, it's not an rpg, worth waiting a year before buying it and other minor issues).

Namikaze1

*insert all the facepalm pics here*

Bought the First Wave M1A.

Got another one as a drop with better damage 10 minutes later.

My stats sucks compared to yall haha

oVOFKVe.jpg

m4st4

Damn... Broadway Emporium (lvl 8 Mission) on Normal, solo and for the first time, was so intense. World building in this game is impeccable. In light of VR announcements from all three parties, I can imagine myself pissing my pants every once in a while if games get even more immersive than they are right now.

T.O.P

Banned
When you go into the Dark Zone area 6 and try to extract and you are the only soul for those 1m30 you gotta know that shit ain't right

Got litterally swarmed by people and totally destroyed while attaching my loot

Rip 2 HE and 7 purples :(

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Cannot understand the criticisms towards "bullet-sponges". It's like people have decided that realistic settings must have realistic kill speeds when using guns.
Destiny has gigantic bullet sponges, yet it's never brought up because that's in space and gets a free pass.

smh

edit: must understanding of Destiny gripes was too limited to make this claim.

goomba stomper

Neo Member
I just fell in love with my current character set up. My first HE drop was the Caducues assault rifle and it has a weapon skill that reduces all skill cooldowns by 5.5% for every headshot (doesn't have to kill, any headshot triggers the effect.) I paired the self heal + damage boost and resistance with smart cover. With the cooldown perk on the Caducues smart cover and my first aid are so close to always available to me, most of the time my smart cover is ready to be used again before the initial is even done. The damage boosts are making up for my lowered DPS as well, I'm getting 285k critical headshots with my marksman rifle. I just completed the challenge mission with such little issue, never had to use a medkit or my signature skill.

Portman

I wouldn't worry too much about raw DPS. On PC, I can basically get every shot to be a headshot which means the auto-calc'd number is worthless to me (lower RPM, but higher damage + talents (the 50% headshot free bullet talent is amazing!!)). I find the stability on some of the Assault Rifles causes so many wasted bullets.

Thanks, I'll keep testing out weapons for now and not let DPS focus bug me. I was just swapping up to guns I normally wouldn't use when it complained about item level since I wouldn't notice it otherwise. Yeah I've been adjusting to the aiming and it seemed a bit slow when scoped at first but I told myself I could always crank the mouse speed up via the mouse on the fly if needed. Seems that I've adjusted well to it since I haven't thought about doing that in a while.

Need to put mods on the weapons too since my friend mentioned that at lunch. I keep forgetting to apply them. I need to figure out how the armor/gear mods (or whatever they're called) work too since I have never used them and they're just sitting in my inventory. I guess I'll build a list of questions and hit the thread with them once I get to level 30 if I haven't figured them out as I go along.

Cannot understand the criticisms towards "bullet-sponges". It's like people have decided that realistic settings must have realistic kill speeds when using guns.
Destiny has gigantic bullet sponges, yet it's never brought up because that's in space and gets a free pass.

smh

This is false. Bullet sponges in Destiny were always brought up, but for the bosses of strikes mostly. They even toned down the biggest bullet sponge of them all.

I think because in challenge mode division, every enemy is a huge sponge. Some people don't enjoy that whether they aren't with a capable team or what.

smh
This is a bullshit comment I'm sorry. It was brought up so much you must've never read anything destiny related. Bungie responded by toning down the bullet sponginess.

So I got this vector roll:
Headshot damage is increased by 24% when using this weapon
Using a skill increases your critical hit chance by 8%
Damage increases by 13% when closer then 10 meter to the target.

Yah or nay?

Granadier

To each their own. Once you are geared properly for challenge mode the enemies are as spongy as hard mode enemies. i.e.: not that spongy at all.

Wanted to continue this conversation from the last thread:

PvP isn't really viable at 30 right now unfortunately.

Why is this?

As someone who's finding the mid 20's grind a bit of a slog, the promise of pvp at 30 is whats been keeping me going >_>

You lose tremendous progress in darkzone XP if you die as a rogue at high level. So level 30 DZ is mostly sunshine and rainbows.

This is extremeeeeeely disappointing. I really enjoyed the mass hordes of rogues in Beta, but I suppose I understand that was solely because everyone had nothing to lose but everything to gain then. I was getting into insane 30 minute firefights between groups that transformed the streets into rainbow loot nirvana, I was hoping I was experiencing a microcosm of the full game, but I don't think anything like that could possibly happen in the game as it is. In fact I think I've seen one rogue since launch day.

It's too bad that by the time they patch more incentives to go rogue, most people will be decked out in the best gear and not really have much desire to steal crap gear from other players.

I hope Incursions aren't once a week. That's basically what killed Destiny because players would just finish everything on Tuesday and stopped playing it because there was nothing else to do.

If they are smart, they'd let you farm it as much as you want. The loot pool is large enough that it would be impossible to get an optimal set of gear quickly anyway.
If it's a lockout hopefully you can run it up to 4 times a week per account rather than toon. People would probably run it on 4 chars and give the loot to their main otherwise.

I have completely changed my opinion on The Division over the course of today. Yesterday, I hated it. I found it boring, repetitive and frustrating and was about ready to give up on it, but after playing it all day today, I am starting to love it. I still have plenty of gripes with it. The loot isn't very exciting, and it can be bloody hard at times if you get the wrong group, but its incredibly addictive and the dark zone is a really cool idea. The tension, followed by relief when I managed to extract my loot was pretty awesome.

Namikaze1

I'm going to buy First Wave and Classic to go with my Socom. The classic talent with bonus damage might be better
Yo, what safe house vendor is the classic being sold at?

smh
False. This has been brought up so many times in the OT, reddit, Bungie forums, basically everywhere. It's why one of the Strike bosses was called Spongebob for a long ass time. I still call him that even though his sponginess was toned down (a lot) due to never remembering his real name.

LProtag

You know, using Marksman/SMG is fun and all, but I miss using an LMG which I did when I was lower leveled.

What's a good high end LMG to look out for?

Granadier

It's too bad that by the time they patch more incentives to go rogue, most people will be decked out in the best gear and not really have much desire to steal crap gear from other players.

Your negative is actually the positive that you cited from the beta. If everyone is decked out in top-tier gear, then the streets will become bathed in agent blood.

It would be nice that when you walk up to a mission entrance and you have that matchmaking/difficulty floating hud, you saw the loadouts of your squad. You could easily see where you may have gaps. Hell, any way to see the gear of your squadmates would be nice.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It would be nice that when you walk up to a mission entrance and you have that matchmaking/difficulty floating hud, you saw the loadouts of your squad. You could easily see where you may have gaps. Hell, any way to see the gear of your squadmates would be nice.
Yeah, it's baffling. I would also appreciate some end of mission stats.

erawsd

I'm curious what everyone's take on a raid is. Because in every game I've played with "raids" it's doing an instance with a group larger than a standard party. Last info I saw, Incursions are still a four man group.

Did raids somehow become synonymous with "fight mechanics?" If that's the case most five man dungeons in WoW are raids.

A one size fits all definition of raids just doesnt work in the modern day. Originally raids had 70+ people... these days games like Destiny and FFXIV have single digit group sizes. So I think its pretty arbitrary to start trying define what a raid is strictly by the number of people involved.

In my opinion raids are more about structure than player count these days. 5 man dungeons arent raids because they are simple bite sized bits of content that you finish in a half hour or less. I see raids as something that require a bit more commitment and coordination relative to the other pve content in the game.

Namikaze1

Last three days I was hoping for a purple chest drop and today I bought one, one mission later, 4 new purple chests. 😅
I didn't even wanted the gun. Bought it because why the hell not. Have nearly 1 million credits saved anyway. Both the vendor stock one and the one that drop still aren't as good as the SOCOM M1A I've been using since Saturday.

Anung

Un Rama
Just finished the Lincoln tunnel daily challenge and that was so much fun. Love being forced to play tactically and having to work as a team.

Granadier

Yeah, it's baffling. I would also appreciate some end of mission stats.

I would loooooooooove this.
But I can also see how it would be used to shame lower geared players, just like DPS meters in WoW.

cakely

smh

The Division is set in modern day Manhattan. You're shooting at looters in hoodies.

Destiny is set in fantasy world literally filled with space magic. You're shooting at alien robots and wizards.

It's not too hard to understand why the former doesn't seem appropriate for bullet-sponge adversaries that can take a full clip of ammunition to the head, does it?

Klyka

Banned
This glitch is annoying
11416294_501128530093905_5425012072729230942_o.jpg

it's not a "glitch" per say.

It is your camera going into an object.

Your camera HAS to zoom out for the menu so it will just phase into whatever is in that position behind you. A wall, a crate, an NPC.

If you make sure not to have anything to close behind you, it won't happen.

Granadier

The Division is set in modern day Manhattan. You're shooting at looters in hoodies.

Destiny is set in fantasy world literally filled with space magic. You're shooting at alien robots and wizards.

It's not too hard to understand why the former doesn't seem appropriate for bullet-sponge adversaries that can take a full clip of ammunition to the head, does it?

The Division is an RPG first and foremost before anything else though. The fact that it's set in Manhattan only solidifies the atmosphere. Constraining the combat mechanics to only be "realistic one shot headshots" is an incredibly close-minded way of looking at it. Not every game needs to fit into a cookie cutter mold.

Nokterian

it's not a "glitch" per say.

It is your camera going into an object.

Your camera HAS to zoom out for the menu so it will just phase into whatever is in that position behind you. A wall, a crate, an NPC.

If you make sure not to have anything to close behind you, it won't happen.

Still needs to be fixed no matter where you are standing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom