• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This game needs a crushing mode. I seriously feel like I must be playing on very easy mode. Everything feels automated and purposely easy. And why didn't they just implement a co-op mode a la UC2/3's survival mode??

half of the game was completely rushed, I don't think CD got anytime to add any modes.

increasing the difficulty will do nothing because the problem is with the enemies AI.

I don't know. Uncharted has been a T game and Tomb Raider moved into the M territory.

I really hope Uncharted can respond to Tomb Raider without resorting to going for the M rating. Naughty Dog seems to be a competent studio and Amy Henning is superior to Rhianna Prachett.

But will Uncharted continue with PS4? ND has always moved onto a new IP each gen unless UC gets handed over to another studio...

Well they never started two new ips in one generation either, although I don't know how..."franchise-able" The Last of Us is suppose to be.

sleepykyo

But will Uncharted continue with PS4? ND has always moved onto a new IP each gen unless UC gets handed over to another studio...

I remember shooters were getting popular and fantasy/whimsy were on the way out as around 2004, I don't see any changes of that sort. Grim and gritty are still popular and shooters are still king. And they have the Last of Us for their grim title.

Tying it back to this thread. It'll be interesting how TR2 is supposed to top rivers of blood, cannibalism, etc.

Tying it back to this thread. It'll be interesting how TR2 is supposed to top rivers of blood, cannibalism, etc.

With the ultimate team.

the_ultimate_teamu5yrz.png

Dahbomb

Resident Evil ORC did it the exact same way. Something good came out of that one. (It's rough , but not THAT rough)
Oh I never played RE ORC. I guess then it's not really a novel addition but then again in this industry it doesn't matter who does it first... it matters which POPULAR game does it first.

Basically Killswitch -> Gears of War.

I don't know. Uncharted has been a T game and Tomb Raider moved into the M territory.
Tomb Raider is mostly a T rated game the only thing about it that I felt was truly M rated were some of the environments which they can easily tone down to get the T rating. Of course you don't need the brutal kills either.

Some of the environments in this game were Berserk level.

So, I just finished the game with 95% completion on PC and it was great. Since this was my first Tomb Raider experience (Guardian of Light for 1 hour doesn't count) I didn't know what to expect but I enjoyed it. I think the number of set-pieces were at times excessive and the tombs were incredibly easy but the rest was very good. Each of the locations were different (though the shantytown was my far my least favorite) and it felt like a natural transition from one to the next. You never really stay in one location for very long but if you want to explore then there are an ample collectables hidden everywhere. I think I will go back in and earn that last 5% completion after Crystal Dynamics and nVidia patch the crap out of this. The TressFX needs some serious work because aside from it being a massive resource hog it also looks visually unrealistic. In the benchmark or cutscenes it looks good but in real gameplay the hair is all over the place. Well, time to play some multiplayer... and by multiplayer I mean Halo 4. I couldn't care less about the multiplayer in this game. I predict a dead online community within two weeks.

Varna

They already patched TressFX.

It doesn't fit with the rest of the game. Lara is all beaten, covered in dirt and her cloths are all tattered. But her hair? Just perfect.

I've gotten to the
boat repair
segment and at this point the game is dragging. Pretty much all my weapons are fully upgraded (without having ONCE used fast travel to revisit a location), I have all the interesting abilities and I'm just going through the motions. They couldn't even get the carrot on a stick mechanic right. I literally have nothing to look forward to unlock wise.

The loading screen messages are pretty funny. One suggest I hunt animals... for what exactly? Xp is plentiful, resources are plentiful... there is literally no reason to do it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There is a truly hilarious amount of people that apparently died on this island when the sheer amount of skulls and corpses get added up. I hope some nutty gamer somehwhere tries to get an approximate count.

Dahbomb

There is a truly hilarious amount of people that apparently died on this island when the sheer amount of skulls and corpses get added up. I hope some nutty gamer somehwhere tries to get an approximate count.
The island seems to date back to pre-Feudal era Japan and has elements of numerous generations in it. A lot of WW2 casualties there as well.

The TressFX puts less off a burden now but I think it looks mostly the same. I do agree that this is the wrong setting to show off TressFX, probably better suited for a less messy game. Lara goes through so much shit and her hair is always Shampoo commercial flawless in the game.

Andrew.

Banned
Ok let me eat some crow for a moment.

The waves in Shantytown. Jesus christ. Even I was like "Are you kidding me?". At one point it felt like they wouldnt stop coming. I eventually just ran off after wasting what felt like a fucking battalion. That one wave put every other Uncharted wave Ive experienced to shame in an instant. I never cower from gunfights but man, it was an endless supply of assholes.

Game is still awesome, however if that shit keeps up then it's gonna get old real fast.

xJavonta

Banned
Just finished it. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.
if there's a sequel to this I'll buy it for sure.

Fracas

#fuckonami

The waves in Shantytown. Jesus christ. Even I was like "Are you kidding me?". At one point it felt like they wouldnt stop coming. I eventually just ran off after wasting what felt like a fucking battalion. That one wave put every other Uncharted wave Ive experienced to shame in an instant. I never cower from gunfights but man, it was an endless supply of assholes.

Game is still awesome, however if that shit keeps up then it's gonna get old real fast.

Are you talking about the first part of Shantytown (after you get
fire arrows?
)?

I fought maybe ~15 guys, then they stopped coming.

Andrew.

Banned
Are you talking about the first part of Shantytown (after you get
fire arrows?
)?

I fought maybe ~15 guys, then they stopped coming.

No it was the fight after that. Felt like it was right in the middle of town. It actually was all around where you first entered.

Dahbomb

The
fiery fortress
mission puts Shanty Town to shame in terms of waves and number of enemies. There is actually one more area with an absurd amount of enemies but its my favorite combat area in the game. I won't spoil what it is.

DukeBobby

No it was the fight after that. Felt like it was right in the middle of town. It actually was all around where you first entered.

Ugh, you should have tried playing that on PC, with the framerate fluctuating between 20 and 60.

Shit was unbearable. I'm guessing it was quite stable on the PS3, right?

Yeah, I really despise the waves that start happening in shantytown and on-wards.

Aeonin

Not sure how far I am into the game, but it really is amazing. I hope some other developers working in the same realm take notice and emulate. The camera is great at all times, love all the effects associated with it too. Those notes, and the readings - made me wish RE thought of that - I would've loved to have heard some haunted vocal readings from those games. And the just the entire engine and feature-set in general - this is a fun, cinematic, well-paced and well-controlled experience.

Haven't touched multiplayer yet tho. Didn't like what I've seen in videos, but we'll see.

antitrop

Ugh, you should have tried playing that on PC, with the framerate fluctuating between 20 and 60.

Shit was unbearable. I'm guessing it was quite stable on the PS3, right?
As I learned in the performance thread, turning Level of Detail down from Ultra to Normal gave me more or less locked 60 in Shantytown.

DukeBobby

As I learned in the performance thread, turning Level of Detail down from Ultra to Normal gave me more or less locked 60 in Shantytown.

At one point during Shantytown, I turned everything down to the minimum settings, and I was still getting drops to 40's.

90% of the time, I had a smooth 60 frames on Ultra settings with TressFX on. It was only during some of the heavy combat sequences that it plummeted.

To those who have finished the game, does her necklace/pendant have any significance?

In the marketing/ad leading up to release, they made it appear as if it did. So?

Shantytown. Blighttown. Coincidence? I think not.

The main problem I had with this game was keyboard-based QTEs and less emphasis on tombs. Wishing for DLC or sequel that will go all out on more tombs.

Resident Evil ORC did it the exact same way. Something good came out of that one. (It's rough , but not THAT rough)

Raccoon City had something similar but it isn't the same as in Tomb Raider.

It was a lot stickier and harder to get working right. The way Lara crouches automatically and how fluidly she goes to cover is something else entirely.

Raccoon City had something similar but it isn't the same as in Tomb Raider.

It was a lot stickier and harder to get working right. The way Lara crouches automatically and how fluidly she goes to cover is something else entirely.

I did love how it worked, but I'm not sure whether I love the idea of it, because, really, it's just another automated action in an already heavily automated game. I mean, is that stuff not part of the gameplay? Knowing how far from cover you need to be to snap in, knowing what you can snap into, etc. It all creates a deeper experience, if the game can handle it with finesse (Rockstar is testament to not every developer and their dog being able to craft a competent cover system).

It does work for the game, I will give it that, but I'm just now picturing, say, the next Gears of War with automated cover... *Shuddertown*.

To those who have finished the game, does her necklace/pendant have any significance?

In the marketing/ad leading up to release, they made it appear as if it did. So?

not really, I think she said that it she found when she was little on her first dig with her father or something

RedSwirl

I'm not gonna go back and read the whole thread and I've decided to shelve this until I can get a PC copy on the low-low (when I can afford it and am done with like five other games on my 2013 backlog), but just what is everyone enjoying about this game so much?

Again, I didn't have the time to get that far (the
radio tower basically
), but form what I saw the most interesting part about the game was the open world exploration. The set pieces so far have not been Uncharted-quality (personally I didn't really like the first Uncharted game) and the combat has been pretty boring. The XP and crafting elements are also annoying and feel unnecessary. It's really just the Metroidvania aspect that keeps me interested at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Game's very compelling. The entire presentation and pacing is really good. Early on,
when you get stuck in the bear trap and the wolves come for you
-- When I was doin that, it was 3am and dark, and that was pretty tense. Good shit.

And I love this new Lara so much more than the old ones. She actually has a person in there compared to the silly cartoon character of the other games. That person happens to be THE FUCKING TERMINATOR, but a person nonetheless!

Bomba thread hall of fame:

daegan "<1m"
witness "Best selling Tomb Raider game ever" pieatorium (Thas a pretty big call since the PS1 era games sold 7mill+)
Man-is-obsolete "Wonderful 101 doesn't have to sell millions to be successful, Tomb Raider does."
Coxy "Tomb Raider will have good day one sales but probably absolutely awful word of mouth and drop dead after launch"
dorn "I expect Tomb Raider to bomb the hardest relative to its marketing and overall budget. Pushing pre-orders on people will assure that at least day one looks good but beyond that it's going to be a massive disapppointment."
Glass Rebel "Success to major success. For some reason I think they hit total mainstream gold and doubt that the rape-scene controversy will have much of an impact on sales."
MrCookiePants "And I don't think any Tomb Raider has done that poorly. Even the really bad ones. The reboot has all the hype in the world. There is no way."
Nairume "Does okay, but maybe poisons the well."
Heart Attack "Bomba of the year (700-900k) Lifetime"
GravityMan "The only game in that entire list that will be a definitive hit is Tomb Raider."
Empty "will all sell well, but not perform as well as the brands could do with better timing or more exciting pitches"
sponk "even a blind man can see that this game will be junk. Reboot or not."
AHA-Lambda "hit unfortunately"
Delusibeta "Similar sales to Hitman Absolution, so OK-to-good"
Row "I think all the Tomb Raider bomb suggestions are far more hilarious"
PetriP-TNT "bomba"
BlackJace "Sells okay"
JDSN "Mega hit"

FZvhGpD.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
You don't even know if that 1 million sales is true Tricky, let alone if it's enough to make this many-years-in-the-making game a success. You're a bit too eager to tell everyone to shove it.

statham

I really like when you visit old areas, things changed. I was not expecting that when I tried to get more exp points.

katkombat

Banned
Finished the game. I'm getting an uncharted vibe here (not in the actual gameplay sense), as how the first one was great, the second will be fantastic and the third will be great. Not sure why but I just have that feeling. Great game overall, far from the best, but damn was it an awesome ride on hard difficulty. Props to CD! :D

You don't even know if that 1 million sales is true Tricky, let alone if it's enough to make this many-years-in-the-making game a success. You're a bit too eager to tell everyone to shove it.

Let's just say that it's not true - do you honestly still think its going to bomb at this point? It's got mega hit written all over it. The game has a lot of positive buzz surrounding it at the moment...

Top Bottom