• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

how's the ps3 version's framerate? is it on par with Uncharted or Dead Space? (which is good for my standard) or is it more like Assassin Creed or GTA

Dahbomb

Favorite death scenes in the game?
My two favorite ones in the game are getting mauled by the big wolf in the cave and getting stabbed in the throat by a samurai sword while he holds your head.

Derrick01

Banned
Let's just say that it's not true - do you honestly still think its going to bomb at this point? It's got mega hit written all over it. The game has a lot of positive buzz surrounding it at the moment...

I have no idea since we don't know how much it cost. I think it's safe to say they won't pretend it doesn't exist like they do with Hitman, but it could still disappoint. They did have REALLY high hopes for this, usually that means unrealistic hopes. I mean like SE was putting a lot of its entire future on the line with how well this does.

Dahbomb

Its imppssible to say whether the game will be a mega hit or not. It depends very much on how mich budget was put on the game and the marketing for it. 1 million first month might not be enough.

Ricker

Wow,you guys weren't kidding about Shantytown,damn,got a huge flashback of that boat level in Uncharted 3 lol...took a few tries at a few places for that part,first time the game gets a little bit challenging,besides that parachute section that also took me a few deaths.

Wow,you guys weren't kidding about Shantytown,damn,got a huge flashback of that boat level in Uncharted 3 lol...took a few tries at a few places for that part,first time the game gets a little bit challenging,besides that parachute section that also took me a few deaths.
that boat level in uncharted 3 was fucking awesome, shanty town in tomb raider fucking sucks. it reminded me of resident evil 4

Dahbomb

Shanty Town is not that bad at all but it does feature a very unfavorable change in style for the game that lingers through the end game.

Geothermal Caves is easily my favorite followed closely by the Monastery.

FZvhGpD.jpg

In my personal defence:
All platforms? That sounds....ok to good.

Although it's probably time to turn around and eat crow on Ni no Kuni not bombing horribly.

x-Lundz-x

73% done, all areas up to where I am at 100% complete. Cannot wait to finish this tomorrow. The game is amazing and is deserving of all the success it's getting regardless of the people in here who continually try and deny otherwise. Sorry guys, tomb raider has changed for the better.

Salz01

The game gets better the more I play it. Very surprised with it. Interested in what they do next with this reboot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shanty Town is not that bad at all but it does feature a very unfavorable change in style for the game that lingers through the end game.

Geothermal Caves is easily my favorite followed closely by the Monastery.

I'm in those caves now and can easily see this being the highlight of the game, but I still was liking the combat waves in the town earlier. Picking off people taking ziplines and effective use of the exploding barrels can thin the waves out a helluva lot, and is fun to pull off well.

Resident Evil 4 was amazing, Shanty Town rules, Uncharted 3 was okay

that about covers it

2/3 ain't bad.

Is he implying that Resident Evil 4 sucks? Or that the Shantytown area looks like something from that game? (I guess some areas of the Village in RE4 look similar).

I feel he's not only praising the shipyard section of Uncharted 3, which was terrible, but also comparing what he feels to be a terrible part of Tomb Raider to RE4.

The post makes me angry.

Berto

I must say, the last act after Lara arrives to beach has been outstanding, I wish the rest of the game was this good, it actually feels a bit like a Tomb Raider game with exploration and all. It is saving it from being a total disapointment for me and gives me hope for the second game.

The Uncharted 3 hate will forever be a mystery to this guy, especially the section in question. That's where the game actually got great for me and here's why:

-Drake was alone, not surrounded by 5 shitty friends
-the visuals there like the rest of the game were amazing
-the level design was great, very open environment and multiple ways to go about proceeding
-it was pure gameplay in contrast to most of the cinematic dicking around in the first half
-no problems with the number of enemies or enemy placement
-platforming inside the broken ship was pretty good and interesting IMO

Maybe I need to replay it but... I certainly thought it was fine and better than everything that had come before it. I was honestly feeling like the game was dragging and getting a bit boring until this section and it remained great for me through the ending.

Damn, now I really want to play Tomb Raider to see if it has similar experiences.

DukeBobby

I feel he's not only praising the shipyard section of Uncharted 3, which was terrible, but also comparing what he feels to be a terrible part of Tomb Raider to RE4.

The post makes me angry.

I actually quite liked the shipyard. It was the one part of the game that gave you a little more freedom.

Dahbomb

Only thing bad about the ship mission in UC3 was the Ballroom fight. Cheap as fuck combat set piece design on Crushing.

What I want to ask is... does this game have any creepy environments/atmosphere? I don't mean your occasional skeleton or ritualistic shit or whatever, but an actual sense of horror or foreboding?

Dead

well not really...yet
What I want to ask is... does this game have any creepy environments/atmosphere? I don't mean your occasional skeleton or ritualistic shit or whatever, but an actual sense of horror or foreboding?
Yes actually. Several horror themed areas. One in particular is...well wait til you play it lol

I definitely get that vibe in a few areas. Would love to see more.

I think my favorite creepy moment was early, walking through the tunnels as an old record played. Something about it creeped me out. Other areas are definitely creepy. Love the dark and creepy atmosphere in this game.

Also, Uncharted 3 was awesome, you whack jobs.

Raxus

God damn it. I am almost level 60 (finally) but my game is bugged or something. Every time I do rescue the health packs don't appear on my HUD.

Derrick01

Banned

Not really. Usually a sense of horror comes from the fear of something dangerous getting you, and there is almost no risk of dying in this game. I died 3 times to enemies on Hard and I'm confident if I played on normal I wouldn't have died at all.

border

I've gotten to the
boat repair
segment and at this point the game is dragging. Pretty much all my weapons are fully upgraded (without having ONCE used fast travel to revisit a location), I have all the interesting abilities and I'm just going through the motions. They couldn't even get the carrot on a stick mechanic right. I literally have nothing to look forward to unlock wise.

I did every Optional tomb that I found, and finished the game with only one weapon upgraded, and never even got the Assault Rifle to Stage 3. I thought the random distribution of weapon parts was very frustrating. Were you trying to hunt down all this stuff? Becuase I don't see how you could get all the ability upgrades and all the weapon upgrades by that stage of the game unless you were really seeking to do so.

I'm a little unsure how it is you got all your weapons to Stage 3, when you only get the Compound Bow just before the boat repair mission. You still need more parts to get the Combat Bow.

I presume the animal killing mechanic is the reamnant of some kind of survival element that got scrapped out of the game a while back. Kill animals, take them to the campfire, cook 'em, eat them to boost stats or something.

border

I didn't come across anything that qualified as a puzzle in the entire game. And I did all of the optional tombs.

Are you one of those people that's like "It's not a puzzle unless I get confused by it"? Because whether you figured stuff out quickly or not, there's plenty of stuff in there that's clearly intended as a puzzle.

Derrick01

Banned
Are you one of those people that's like "It's not a puzzle unless I get confused by it"? Because whether you figured stuff out quickly or not, there's plenty of stuff in there that's clearly intended as a puzzle.

I would like to think a legit puzzle can keep most people stumped for more than 1 minute, which is about the length of time I've seen people posting for the optional tombs. There was 1 tomb in particular that I walked in and literally solved in 20-25 seconds, that time being the time it took me to actually solve the puzzle. It didn't require 1 second of thinking time by me.

edit: I'm not saying that to brag either. I fucking suck at puzzle games. They're just that brain dead easy in Tomb Raider.

Varna

I did every Optional tomb that I found, and finished the game with only one weapon upgraded, and never even got the Assault Rifle to Stage 3. I thought the random distribution of weapon parts was very frustrating. Were you trying to hunt down all this stuff, becuase I don't see how you could get all the ability upgrades and all the weapon upgrades by that stage of the game unless you were really seeking to do so.

I'm a little unsure how it is you got all your weapons to Stage 3, when you only get the Compound Bow just before the boat repair mission. You still need more parts to get the Combat Bow.

I presume the animal killing mechanic is the reamnant of some kind of survival element that got scrapped out of the game a while back. Kill animals, take them to the campfire, cook 'em, eat them to boost stats or something.

I'm wasn't looking to hunt for anything in particular. I just explored as much as I could. If I saw the obvious path leading forward I would just detour in other directions to see what I could find.

I don't really know how many weapon stages there are. I just know currently, my bow has all the upgrades (4/4) and the other weapons are at 7/7 of available upgrades and I'm sitting on a lot of salvage.

EDIT: LOL at that
natural gas
"puzzle." How stupid do they think people are?

EDIT: I played the Craft Manor before starting up this game and yeah, that hour of gameplay is harder then this entire game. That's fucken sad.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So just got to the
wolves den after finding Roth all messed up
and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the game so far. From the little bit I've played, the game looks great, pretty fun to play, etc. but on the other hand it's really hard to ignore the obvious Uncharted influence. Plus the game for the most part is pretty linear as fuck. I was expecting a little more open-ended gameplay but at least it's fun to play.

Top Bottom