• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

GlamFM

Banned
I´m going for 100% right mow and while it´s not really fun I feel the urge to do it because I liked the game so much.

Also:

image.php

Yeah! Sisters of Mercy. I like that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You get EXP of course for getting all Relics/GPS. What did you think the reward was going to be... Lara starts taking parts of her clothing the closer you get to 100%?

A fully upgraded Bow is beastly as fuck.

Fully powered bow is fun as hell.

border

I guess some people just do it because they enjoy exploring the world of the game and want to spend more time in the gameworld, but need some purpose to be there otherwise they'd find it boring. If you don't enjoy it though, I don't get why you would play through the boring and unnecessary parts just to get to 100% - why not just replay the parts you thought were fun and engaging?

Thanks for the avatar compliment all the same :)

Sanctuary

I like how the developers talked about how Lara was supposed to be vulnerable and this is her "origin" story of sorts. Yet right out of the gates they equip her with an adamantium skeleton and a healing factor that would make Wolverine jealous.

Unless of course you have to cross a stream. Then somehow you end up with a limp--something that being skewered, falling 30+ feet again and again as well as being hit with airplane parts can't seem to do.

border

I like how the developers talked about how Lara was supposed to be vulnerable and this is her "origin" story of sorts. Yet right out of the gates they equip her with an adamantium skeleton and a healing factor that would make Wolverine jealous.

I honestly don't know what the hell they were thinking with the pre-release marketing for this game, but I'm ultimately glad that it ended up unapologetically conforming to normal videogame conventions. I wasn't really interested in hunting and cooking animals to stay alive, or stitching up wounds or some other nonsense that would bring the action and adventure to a halt. Nor am I interested in Lara having some crisis of conscience after she kills someone the first time.

I'd like to think that the developers were honest, and that all the survival nonsense just got thrown out within the last 9-12 months because it wasn't working all that well. They probably just should have removed more of it -- no animal hunting, and don't have Lara get impaled in the first 5 minutes unless it's going to be an actual issue in the story/gameplay.

I honestly don't know what the hell they were thinking with the pre-release marketing for this game, but I'm ultimately glad that it ended up unapologetically conforming to normal videogame conventions. I wasn't really interested in hunting and cooking animals to stay alive, or stitching up wounds or some other nonsense that would bring the action and adventure to a halt. Nor am I interested in Lara having some crisis of conscience after she kills someone the first time.

Ugh, this is so depressing. The game you're describing sounds so much more interesting than what we got. Combine that with actual Tomb Raiding and I'd be in heaven. The story should've just been "Lara croft shipwrecked on strange island, must survive among other stranded crazies and wildlife while solving a million year supernatural mystery." Puzzles, tons of old underground caverns, real survival gameplay, etc. Adventure abound. Damn if it appealed to a smaller audience.

kunonabi

Ugh, this is so depressing. The game you're describing sounds so much more interesting than what we got. Combine that with actual Tomb Raiding and I'd be in heaven. The story should've just been "Lara croft shipwrecked on strange island, must survive among other stranded crazies and wildlife while solving a million year supernatural mystery." Adventure abound. Damn if it appealed to a smaller audience.

could have added some first blood/tecmo's deception elements in there with her setting traps for the enemy. i also would have liked a more complex system for tracking animals and studying the environment/relics/documents for leads to the tombs instead of the game just screaming at you with prompts and chalk drawings. sad to see such a great premise pissed away.

Ugh, this is so depressing. The game you're describing sounds so much more interesting than what we got. Combine that with actual Tomb Raiding and I'd be in heaven. The story should've just been "Lara croft shipwrecked on strange island, must survive among other stranded crazies and wildlife while solving a million year supernatural mystery." Puzzles, tons of old underground caverns, real survival gameplay, etc. Adventure abound. Damn if it appealed to a smaller audience.

Personally I would really enjoy a game that tackles survival in a deeper way, but I imagine that any attempt would turn out too shallow and play like a gimmick. It would also be a difficult pitch for a game that wants to sell to a wide audience, like you mentioned.

Tomb Raider even seems like they might have considered making the hunting more of a thing at one point but ended up just giving you XP. Maybe for the sake of pacing or development time/resources.

It would be great for somebody to try, but I think it'd be a difficult thing to do well.

Replicant

I just dont get how this game is so popular and dead space 3 gets all the hate.
the games are surprisingly similiar, but dead space 3 is so much better.

Dead Space 3 fell from the great height that was Dead Space 2/1. Tomb Raider was already at the bottom and had nowhere to go but up as long as it's not awfully bad.

Dead Space 3 introduced micro-transactions, which people hate. Tomb Raider has no such thing.

Dead Space 3 has MP co-op which is FORCED on you if you want to see the complete story and it severely affects not only the ammo type but also the save points. Tomb Raider has no such thing. Its MP is separate from the SP game. The save point is as bad as DS3 but DS3 is inevitably compared to DS2, which had excellent save points.

wouwie

Started playing yesterday (PS3). I'm not far in yet as i'm taking my time but the first hour felt more like watching a movie than playing a game. I assume this will change once i encounter human enemies and once the tutorial phase is over?

The game managed to intrigue me though and i look forward to continuing. The most impressive thing so far is the atmosphere in this game. The sound, graphics, weather effects and different times of day really help adding to an amazing atmosphere that you rarely see in games. I love to just wander around and take my time admiring the surroundings.

kunonabi

Started playing yesterday (PS3). I'm not far in yet as i'm taking my time but the first hour felt more like watching a movie than playing a game. I assume this will change once i encounter human enemies and once the tutorial phase is over?

The game managed to intrigue me though and i look forward to continuing. The most impressive thing so far is the atmosphere in this game. The sound, graphics, weather effects and different times of day really help adding to an amazing atmosphere that you rarely see in games. I love to just wonder around and take my time admiring the surroundings.

nope.

Moff

Dead Space 3 fell from the great height that was Dead Space 2/1. Tomb Raider was already at the bottom and had nowhere to go but up as long as it's not awfully bad.

Dead Space 3 introduced micro-transactions, which people hate. Tomb Raider has no such thing.

Dead Space 3 has MP co-op which is FORCED on you if you want to see the complete story and it severely affects not only the ammo type but also the save points. Tomb Raider has no such thing. Its MP is separate from the SP game. The save point is as bad as DS3 but DS3 is inevitably compared to DS2, which had excellent save points.

you didnt have to deal with neither micro transactions nor multiplayer if you didnt want to., if you are a completionist you had to, of yourse, but if you just wanted to finish and enjoy the game you didnt. I agree on the save points though, this is definitely DS3s biggest weakness and they are much worse than in tomb raider.

but these points justify in no way how much DS3 is hated and tomb raider is loved. especially considering that the actual gameplay and shooting mechanics are so much more satisfying in DS3. but maybe thats just my opinion.

border

Do you really want that? I found the survival elements in games like Resident Evil 1/2/3 and Metal Gear Solid 3 to be mostly tedious and superfluous. It's interesting to talk about and consider, but when you're actually playing it's not much fun to have you character's movement/performance degrade as a result of wounds or need to go hunt food to replenish health. If you miss a jump and consequently have to nurse a sprained ankle and go kill an animal to get your strength back, most players would rather just die than go through the tedium of correcting their error.

The Stealth genre often has the same problem -- if you screw up you might as well let yourself be killed because the time it takes to correct the error is greater than the time it takes to just reload your last checkpoint and try again. Both the Stealth and Survival genres also try to present the problem of limited ammunition supply/inventory for weapons, but often overcompensate by offering an overpowered melee combat system that is easy to abuse (Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed).

The only way I can imagine a survival game ever being popular is if self-repair was actually a fun and engaging mini-game with its own rewards. I'm not sure how to solve the ammunition problem though.

For the peeps who finished the game i like to know how much longer it is.
i just got back to the boat my friends are fixing right after getting the tools from alex

border

For the peeps who finished the game i like to know how much longer it is.
i just got back to the boat my friends are fixing right after getting the tools from alex

You're pretty close to finished. There's maybe 2-3 more missions left.

Incorrect drive-by negativity in the house.

Do you really want that? I found the survival elements in games like Resident Evil 1/2/3 and Metal Gear Solid 3 to be mostly tedious and superfluous. It's interesting to talk about and consider, but when you're actually playing it's not much fun to have you character's movement/performance degrade as a result of wounds or need to go hunt food to replenish health. If you miss a jump and consequently have to nurse a sprained ankle and go kill an animal to get your strength back, most players would rather just die than go through the tedium of correcting their error.

The Stealth genre often has the same problem -- if you screw up you might as well let yourself be killed because the time it takes to correct the error is greater than the time it takes to just reload your last checkpoint and try again. Both the Stealth and Survival genres also try to present the problem of limited ammunition supply/inventory for weapons, but often overcompensate by offering an overpowered melee combat system that is easy to abuse (Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed).

The only way I can imagine a survival game ever being popular is if self-repair was actually a fun and engaging mini-game with its own rewards. I'm not sure how to solve the ammunition problem though.

Most games that have attempted to incorporate survival elements have done just that, incorporate them. None of them felt designed from the ground up to consider it and make it deep. It was either layered on top of an existing franchise or was only included partially as a means to increase difficulty and tension like earlier RE games.

You'd have to design a game around it from the get-go. Of course the concept would turn off plenty of people like Demon's Souls did; but just like DS where you learn from your deaths, with survival you would learn from making a mistake you need to fix and then try not to do it again. You'd get better and ideally spend less down time like that.

On top of that, the fact that it would appeal to a limited audience doesn't make it any less desirable to somebody who wants that experience. It's easy to dismiss an idea when it has yet to be even attempted with any real effort or thought. Obviously there are reasons it hasn't, but I'd bet it has more to do with difficulty of execution, the amount of time it would take to balance and test, and the end product having limited appeal rather than it being impossible to make fun.

border

Nice. My guess is he will like it very much for what it is, but has some issues with Lara being a killer machine and not really a survivor.

I just skipped to a random point in the video and TB is complaining about all the collecting stuff and how it doesn't jive with the narrative. It's a valid criticism but a mostly unimportant one.

I only listened to TB when he was on WoW Radio, long before he became popular. If there's a minor issue that could be harped about incessantly but probably shouldn't be, you can guarantee he will harp about it incessantly. When he had a live show I thought he just did it to fill time, but even when he's working pre-recorded he will go off about any minor fault for no reason.

Nice. My guess is he will like it very much for what it is, but has some issues with Lara being a killer machine and not really a survivor.
The more I play it the more I can see this. I think I'll call the game Tomb Rambo. It doesn't really bother me but the game is hell bent on having a huuuuge death count. And how many dead bodies keep on turning up? Considering most seem fresh did an entire cruise liner run aground on the island filled with a thousand holidaymakers? It's a bit excessive.

Replicant

you didnt have to deal with neither micro transactions nor multiplayer if you didnt want to., if you are a completionist you had to, of yourse, but if you just wanted to finish and enjoy the game you didnt. I agree on the save points though, this is definitely DS3s biggest weakness and they are much worse than in tomb raider.

but these points justify in no way how much DS3 is hated and tomb raider is loved. especially considering that the actual gameplay and shooting mechanics are so much more satisfying in DS3. but maybe thats just my opinion.

You can argue however you want to but the fact remains that many people did not buy DS3 due to the micro-transactions and forced co-op.

Tomb Raider is also loved because unlike Dead Space, its core gameplay does not rely solely on shooting. In fact firefight is the worst and most unpleasant part of its gameplay because just like DS3, it relies heavily on ridiculous amount of gangbang. Thankfully for TR, it also has exploration, puzzles, collections, tomb raiding, etc that makes the shooting only part of its total gameplay. DS3, on the other hand, has no such thing. Its gameplay relies mostly on shooting any living things that try to harm you. If that portion fell apart like it did, it has nothing else to latch onto.

I love Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 but I'd be lying hard if I say that Dead Space 3 wasn't a massive disappointment. In a sadly ironic way, it reminds me of Alien 3 in terms of having 2 previously awesome predecessors before flopping hard in its 3rd iteration. And frankly as a fan, I feel that I was spat on by the Dead Space 3. Not only I can no longer complete the game without having to resort to co-op, I have to see a
shitty ending for my favorite character
. Yeah, it seems they'll rectify that in the DLC but I'm not holding my breath it won't ruin things further. And whenever I or other people brought on the complaints, I feel like a bunch of EA moles are ready to pounce on us.

Moff

You can argue however you want to but the fact remains that many people did not buy DS3 due to the micro-transactions and forced co-op.
yeah, as I said, there is nothing forced about coop. unless you want some meaningless 100% statistic in your game. there is nothing forced about it. and I dont care about silly principles why people didnt buy the game, I want to talk about the actual game. I also dont care what hardcore DS fans expected from DS3, and not what tomb raider 1+2 fans expected from tomb raider 2013, I want to talk about the actual game.

Tomb Raider is also loved because unlike Dead Space, its core gameplay does not rely solely on shooting. In fact firefight is the worst and most unpleasant part of its gameplay because just like DS3, it relies heavily on ridiculous amount of gangbang. Thankfully for TR, it also has exploration, puzzles, collections, tomb raiding, etc that makes the shooting only part of its total gameplay. DS3, on the other hand, has no such thing. Its gameplay relies mostly on shooting any living things that try to harm you.
yeah well, that is simply not true, DS3 has also puzzles, exploration and collection. but both games rely heavily on the shooting part. the shooting part is in both games the actual game. and that was much better in DS3. at least we seem to agree here. in tomb raider its just mediocre at best and rarely as satisfying as in DS3, and its what you do most in tomb raider, the rest is completely linear climbing and running that hardly qualifies as gameplay.

I agree though that the tombs are highlights, but there are too few and they're too short to actually make a difference.

again, not saying tomb raider is a bad game, or that DS3, which is also flawed, woulb be much (or any) better. but its absurd how much DS3 is hated compared to the popular tomb raider.

Replicant

yeah, as I said, there is nothing forced about coop. unless you want some meaningless 100% statistic in your game. there is nothing forced about it. and I dont care about silly principles why people didnt buy the game, I want to talk about the actual game. I also dont care what hardcore DS fans expected from DS3, and not what tomb raider 1+2 fans expected from tomb raider 2013, I want to talk about the actual game.

Well, then it's a lost case. When you don't care about the target market you're trying to reach then you already lose. You claim to want to understand why it's not accepted but you won't accept any explanation that does not fit what you want to hear. Well, the game is not going to be liked any better than it already is. As a fan I already did my due and bought the game. But if you ask me if I'd recommend it to my other gaming friends, I'd say no.

Moff

Well, then it's a lost case. When you don't care about the target market you're trying to reach then you already lose. You claim to want to understand why it's not accepted but you won't accept any explanation that does not fit what you want to hear. Well, the game is not going to be liked any better than it already is. As a fan I already did my due and bought the game. But if you ask me if I'd recommend it to my other gaming friends, I'd say no.

so basically you're saying, DS3 is at least as good as tomb raider. but was not well received by some because of their expectations? I am totally fine with that, its even pretty much what I was saying all the time. especially considering that tomb raider is vers different from its predecessors, too. but I already mentioned that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've looked up the (spoiler)
Name Croatoa written in Lara's journal at the end the game as it was a obvious hint
"Roanoke Island
An island of northeast North Carolina off the Atlantic coast between Albemarle and Pamlico sounds. Colonists dispatched by Sir Walter Raleigh founded the first English settlement in North America in August 1585 but returned to England the following year. A second group of colonists organized by Raleigh landed on the island in July 1587 but vanished sometime before 1591."
there seem to be a lot of supernatural mythologies about this island too, and its a island just like this one, makes sense don't ya think? could be where we are going in TR2...well we already know Lara going because she said so
so exciting!

DukeBobby

I like how there are still enemies on the island after you complete the game, unlike some games such as Arkham Asylum, where the game world is empty when you go back to it.

Replicant

so basically you're saying, DS3 is at least as good as tomb raider. but was not well received by some because of their expectations? I am totally fine with that, its even pretty much what I was saying all the time. especially considering that tomb raider is vers different from its predecessors, too. but I already mentioned that.

Their expectations + the final product. Expectations need to be weigh against something. And in this case a good or a flawed product. With TR, it did change its gameplay but apparently what it changed not only pleased many fans it also create new fans. With DS3, the changes made them unhappy, thus less sale. It's like when Capcom ignored the fans and then they wondered why DmC sold so miserably.

Megasoum

Banned
I just skipped to a random point in the video and TB is complaining about all the collecting stuff and how it doesn't jive with the narrative. It's a valid criticism but a mostly unimportant one.

I only listened to TB when he was on WoW Radio, long before he became popular. If there's a minor issue that could be harped about incessantly but probably shouldn't be, you can guarantee he will harp about it incessantly. When he had a live show I thought he just did it to fill time, but even when he's working pre-recorded he will go off about any minor fault for no reason.

TB Makes a living on complaining non stop about everything. I like his videos in general but it gets old fast sometimes.

s-bojan

Banned
The Spanish dub is really impressive. I wish they gave us more language options....

Well, Lara sounds a bit better, but others are terrible.
I tried playing like that(as Camilla's VA was really getting on my nerves), but had to revert the settings after 30 minutes.

Derrick01

Banned
Why are we suddenly comparing this to dead space 3? Are we deciding which one is the early front runner for worst game of the year?

Moff

Their expectations + the final product. Expectations need to be weigh against something. And in this case a good or a flawed product. With TR, it did change its gameplay but apparently what it changed not only pleased many fans it also create new fans. With DS3, the changes made them unhappy, thus less sale. It's like when Capcom ignored the fans and then they wondered why DmC sold so miserably.

All true. still, DS3 is not a bad game, and in most comparable aspects at least as good as tomb raider, and in the core mechanics even better, is all I'm saying.

the only thing thats left to discuss is why tomb raider fans are apparently more welcoming to a drastic change in gameplay. because DS3 is much closer to DS2 than tomb taider to any of its predecessors.

george_us

It may help if you specify which platform.
PS3.

It's the part right after you get the
upgraded pickaxe and open the door to the Mountain Temple. Nothing loads on the other side of the door. Seems like a streaming volume is messed up or something.

GolazoDan

Played loads of this yesterday, up to like 35% so still a way to go. Up to this infamous Shanty Town bit
after getting fire arrows from the chopper
, had the first big shoot out, I assume there's way more where that came from? I saved and quit at that point. Was kinda rough but it teaches you to keep moving I guess. And shoot the assault rifle fools.

Game's fucking amazing btw.

DieH@rd

Banned
Played loads of this yesterday, up to like 35% so still a way to go. Up to this infamous Shanty Town bit
after getting fire arrows from the chopper
, had the first big shoot out, I assume there's way more where that came from? I saved and quit at that point. Was kinda rough but it teaches you to keep moving I guess. And shoot the assault rifle fools.

Shany Town and the area after it has a lot of combat, but then the game settles down.

Andrew.

Banned
100%'ed the Mountain Village and Shantytown last night. Phew.

Besides that one horde of enemies in Shanty, everything has still been highly enjoyable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why are we suddenly comparing this to dead space 3? Are we deciding which one is the early front runner for worst game of the year?

Because every parallel with Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 has already been made 50 times, I guess.

Anyway, just ordered this for 20 bucks [pc version]. Can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

Top Bottom