• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think my one complaint about this game is
the waves of enemies that start in shantytown and continue from then on.
Still immensely enjoyed the game though I hope they get rid of this in the next iteration.

not the only problem it is one of the many issues in this game to be honest.

if the fights were fun or enemies AI was good it could do something good even with waves of dudes, sadly it wasn't and that just made the game repetitive and boring.

not the only problem it is one of the many issues in this game to be honest.

if the fights were fun or enemies AI was good it could do something good, sadly it wasn't and that just made the game repetitive and boring.

I actually never got bored of the game at all. I enjoyed it my entire play through.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I actually never got bored of the game at all. I enjoyed it my entire play through.

for me it was really boring,I wasn't even able to keep playing for more than one hour each time because of unbalanced and messy game structure and how the story felt disconnected (with the side stuff) it remind me of L.A Noire ,but L.A Noire bored me way more than this.

for me it was really boring,I wasn't even able to keep playing for more than one hour each time because of unbalanced and messy game structure and how the story felt disconnected (with the side stuff) it remind me of L.A Noire ,but L.A Noire bored me way more than this.

Woah no way! Ugh LA Noire. I literally had to force myself to beat that game. I don't even want to think about it.

Derrick01

Banned
LA Noire at least gave us some really entertaining gifs like Cole falling down the stairs and that weird Kaz one where the tongue is spazzing out.

Qassim

I really, really enjoyed it. A real surprise, I wasn't expecting to even buy the game till I saw the buzz around it on release day, so got it on Steam and enjoyed most of the game.

I'm certainly glad I picked it up.

Derrick01

Banned
The Infinite thread will probably be as hellish and as nasty as this one and DmC's, if not moreso.

I don't think so. We got most of it out of our system (ha!) with the first Bioshock. Now we're long past the acceptance stage and just want a much better game than Bioshock.

Clockwork5

I want to get this game, but I am skeptical of the performance on the 360... Is it true that the majority of the game runs well under 30fps?

Andrew.

Banned
I don't think so. We got most of it out of our system (ha!) with the first Bioshock. Now we're long past the acceptance stage and just want a much better game than Bioshock.

We'll see. Im gonna try my damndest to stay out of it as much as I can that first week because I dont want anyone shitting in my cereal per say (or risk seeing spoilers), but this place is like crack and I want to see a murder of crows being eaten =P

apesh1t

Banned
So I noticed that this was in Redbox but when I went to it, it was out of stock. Now I really want to play this. Talk me out of going to Best Buy right now and getting this.

How does it play on consoles?

it remind me of L.A Noire

L.A Noire

ohmrjpp.gif

LA Noire was the fucking worst.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Oh wow, L.A. Noire comparisons now.

Thread keeps delivering.

both share many flaws design-wise, both games could've been kinda decent if they cut the unnecessary open areas and went on more focused experience,both bored me because of their boring game structure(and the two overstayed their welcome and needed to be shorter).

Ricker

I hear the little chimes from the first TR's sometimes and some of the sound effects also...there should be at least one instance in this game,and god knows it's not the opportunity that are missing,where you could do a good old style Lara slow motion gymnastic like climb and a swan dive ,that would of been awesome...

I want to get this game, but I am skeptical of the performance on the 360... Is it true that the majority of the game runs well under 30fps?

On PS3 (and i assume 360) the game runs at a slightly unpredictable frame rate, it's usually around 30fps, but you can tell it drops to the mid 20s sometimes. Especially during big set pieces - things can get hectic and occasionally this leads to death.

Mostly it's playable though, and the game is just very entertaining as a whole. I'd certainly recommend this game if you enjoy the action/adventure genre.

Andrew.

Banned
I hear the little chimes from the first TR's sometimes and some of the sound effects also...there should be at least one instance in this game,and god knows it's not the opportunity that are missing,where you could do a good old style Lara slow motion gymnastic like climb and a swan dive ,that would of been awesome...

I would wager that stuff like that, dual wielding and mid air cartwheel dodges will be in the sequel (although the latter would be a bit extreme)

Varna

I would wager that stuff like that, dual wielding and mid air cartwheel dodges will be in the sequel (although the latter would be a bit extreme)

In another pointless skill tree they pretty much force you to unlock in a lineage fashion I bet too.

DJ_Lae

I think I'm almost finished the game, and I've really enjoyed what I've played.

It is quite short, though - much shorter than reviews had suggested. My Steam timer has it at 6 hours and I just left the shipwreck beach for the second time.

Though judging by this thread it seems I may be wrong for liking the game. :p

So I noticed that this was in Redbox but when I went to it, it was out of stock. Now I really want to play this. Talk me out of going to Best Buy right now and getting this.

How does it play on consoles?

I snagged a 360 copy from Redbox yesterday and it plays really damn well. Looks and sounds gorgeous too. If you have $60 free bucks to spend, go for it. Or if your budget conscious like me, hunt it down at Redbox. Either way, I highly recommend you play this.

I think I'm almost finished the game, and I've really enjoyed what I've played.

It is quite short, though - much shorter than reviews had suggested. My Steam timer has it at 6 hours and I just left the shipwreck beach for the second time.

Though judging by this thread it seems I may be wrong for liking the game. :p

You're not wrong.

It's awesome.

Clockwork5

On PS3 (and i assume 360) the game runs at a slightly unpredictable frame rate, it's usually around 30fps, but you can tell it drops to the mid 20s sometimes. Especially during big set pieces - things can get hectic and occasionally this leads to death.

Mostly it's playable though, and the game is just very entertaining as a whole. I'd certainly recommend this game if you enjoy the action/adventure genre.

Thanks for the info. I will get it sooner or later, I may just wait for a price drop.

Arklite

Finished up last night. Gear/weapon system was great, needs a lot more exploration to make the most of it. Really wished multiplayer had been some kind of timed gauntlet run, using everything you learned to traverse through hostile areas rather than usual deathmatch.

Sound design is very well done, many little details and very good weapon effects. I might have been doing something wrong with other games but TR sounds much, much better compared to how flat Dead Space 3 sounded with headphones. Really the entire presentation as a whole is surprising considering all the shit it was getting pre-release.

nOoblet16

I donno why but this game is putting me to sleep. Maybe it's the pacing, or maybe it's that everything is very predictable and when it comes to being predictable, the less you say about set pieces the better.

SmithnCo

I kinda wish there were more almost "horror" elements like when you hear the record player near the start. That was pretty creepy and atmospheric. There are some other parts like that though. Interested to see what they will do with a sequel.

I just encountered a glitch that has stopped my progression through the story.

On the boat after you kill shotgun bro and you get the winch, the box you are supposed to be able to pull just stays there but the crane its attatched to moves.
I've restarted the checkpoints and quit the game but it's still the same story every time.

Any suggestions?

PS3 btw

Here's a picture:http://i.imgur.com/9pzqs7v.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
. Really the entire presentation as a whole is surprising considering all the shit it was getting pre-release.

well the before release complains weren't about the presentation or even the quality of the game itself,it was about how this game abandoned its roots and turned to be non traditional Tomb Raider game.

I donno why but this game is putting me to sleep. Maybe it's the pacing, or maybe it's that everything is very predictable and when it comes to being predictable, the less you say about set pieces the better.

yeah, got the same same problem (mentioned before how boring the game is),forced me to stop playing many time I really think it's the results of many issues like super easy fights,pacing,disconnected and boring story,not enough variety for enemies and locations ..ect

Arklite

well the before release complains weren't about the presentation or even the quality of the game itself,it was about how this game abandoned its roots and turned to be non traditional Tomb Raider game.

Presentation was getting heat from what I read. I pop in and out of these threads though, so it may have been that I just came in during times when the graphics were being grilled. Of course there was a lot of obvious divided discussion about the direction, but that's expected with a reboot.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The main problem is not just how shallow the game is,it just don't try anything new to the tired formulas it copied from other games.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't hate the game in any particular way but its all just so forgettable/uninspiring. I do like the sound design (I turned off the music from the start--is it worth it?) and the visuals are damn good but gameplay-wise, its a letdown. I just don't get the high praise I've seen in this thread, to be honest.

I kinda wish there were more almost "horror" elements like when you hear the record player near the start. That was pretty creepy and atmospheric. There are some other parts like that though. Interested to see what they will do with a sequel.

I. Loved. That.

I'm gonna tweet CD and Pratchett about that. I want more creepy stuff in the sequel. Not enough Horror Adventures out there.

I'm not finding it very creepy, but certainly atmospheric. There's some moments when the game leaves you alone long enough to feel like you're really stuck somewhere on your own, and that's great. I just wish they'd last more than a couple rooms.

Top Bottom