• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

StuBurns

Banned
Hi gang, so I'm at the point of no return, I've done all the tombs, but not all the other bits, I'm just wondering if there any other things that are hidden that are worth checking out? Or are all those other bonus things just burning posters and opening boxes?

RagnarokX

Ots pure Die Hard stuff. I see no problem with it. Obviously they fixed the stupider plot ideas before release. Lara is already a Croft and we are made to think shes at least got some knowledge of things.

Generally I find the game uses intelligence than regen health; which btw doesn't last long. She seems believable within the context.

John McClane is a hardened cop and he gets the shit beat out of him doing less than Lara does in this game.

I don't mind all the punishment Lara takes in this. I've seen enough of the same or worse in movies and games. Would be nice to keep some of the scars visible in future games.

Grisby

Hi gang, so I'm at the point of no return, I've done all the tombs, but not all the other bits, I'm just wondering if there any other things that are hidden that are worth checking out? Or are all those other bonus things just burning posters and opening boxes?
Do they make it clear that it's a point of no return?

Dahbomb

Path of Exile stuff
What does this have to do with TR lol?

Everyone can like different types of games.

Yeah but the problem is no main Tomb Raider game has been a 10 hour romp. Tomb Raider has always been about challenge. They threw that out the window and designed a game that kids can complete without any trouble.
Hey man I beat Tomb Raider when I was a kid! The 10-11 year old in me would scoff at this new Tomb Raider.

RagnarokX

I don't mind all the punishment Lara takes in this. I've seen enough of the same or worse in movies and games. Would be nice to keep some of the scars visible in future games.

Yeah, but the dissonance with how the marketing and a lot of people view the game as being "more realistic and grounded" is annoying. This game is way more over the top than any previous Tomb Raider.

Hey man I beat Tomb Raider when I was a kid! The 10-11 year old in me would scoff at this new Tomb Raider.

10-14 year old me, playing Battletoads, Blaster Master, Mega Man 1 & 2... Man, he scoffs at the shit I play now constantly. Some of it is my own fault though.

Yeah, but the dissonance with how the marketing and a lot of people view the game as being "more realistic and grounded" is annoying. This game is way more over the top than any previous Tomb Raider.

I think the difference is the old games were fairly consistent thematically. For this entry, either the combat needs to be dialed back enough to be believable, or the narrative needs to be dialed up as far past 11 as the combat for the game to be thematically consistent. (Admittedly, I'm not even halfway through yet.)

The game wants to be taken too seriously. It either needs to be a tense, believable, harrowing horror/adventure with more gravitas than bombast, or go full-on grindhouse and have Lara's brain snap like a twig in the first hour to justify everything she does to these guys later.

Dahbomb

This game is about as realistic and grounded as RE4.

bs000

When you finish the game, you can hit continue from the menu and do whatever you've missed afterwards. I didn't really see a reason to finish everything before going past the point of no return, except maybe to gather some more salvage to upgrade my weapons.

spirity

What does this have to do with TR lol?

Everyone can like different types of games.

I was responding to this

Danny-boy said:
Well said. The praise for this game is most likely coming from people who like games that aren't very challenging and can be completed in a few sittings.

I love the desperate, desperate elitism in this thread.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it, really enjoyable game, unfortunately I was thinking to myself earlier, how I'd finish the game, and it's exactly what they did, so I kind of spoiled myself a little, but that final moment was still really great.

Can't wait for Tomb Raider 2.

spirity

Finished it, really enjoyable game, unfortunately I was thinking to myself earlier, how I'd finish the game, and it's exactly what they did, so I kind of spoiled myself a little, but that final moment was still really great.

Hoping for less QTE's and more tombs, but yeah, can't wait for TR2 also.

Sanctuary

I honestly don't know what the hell they were thinking with the pre-release marketing for this game, but I'm ultimately glad that it ended up unapologetically conforming to normal videogame conventions. I wasn't really interested in hunting and cooking animals to stay alive, or stitching up wounds or some other nonsense that would bring the action and adventure to a halt. Nor am I interested in Lara having some crisis of conscience after she kills someone the first time.

I'd like to think that the developers were honest, and that all the survival nonsense just got thrown out within the last 9-12 months because it wasn't working all that well. They probably just should have removed more of it -- no animal hunting, and don't have Lara get impaled in the first 5 minutes unless it's going to be an actual issue in the story/gameplay.

Oh, I agree that the "sim" aspect seemed like it would be a drag, especially if it was poorly implemented like the majority of games have it. My main gripe though is simply that this is supposed to be a "fresh" Lara. She's not hardened or seasoned at all yet. But she's more durable in this incarnation than she has ever been. She also goes from "OH MY GOD..."
after her first kill, to a heartless ninja assassin who can headshot with a bow better than is humanly possible.

Game isn't perfect, but I'm glad I played it. I think the best thing that it does though is the atmosphere. It's incredible.

RagnarokX

The only person who couldn't figure out where the plot was going was Lara. I can't believe they thought they had a plot twist.

Dahbomb

I don't think they will be doing the survival gimmick again but I really, really want to see the Bow return. Slowly crafting the bow from a simple weapon to a killing machine yet making it a great companion for exploring/traversing was about the only thing that felt like a unique experience in TR compared to other AAA games.

Oh and hopefully Lara learns to swim in the next game and doesn't get her head crushed by a sea rock when trying to swim.

StuBurns

Banned
The only person who couldn't figure out where the plot was going was Lara. I can't believe they thought they had a plot twist.
I didn't mean the 'twist',
the story ended up being super disappointing in the sense that it all seemed to play out exactly as you'd expect from the premise, I meant thinking about how I'd end it, I thought the best way to do it would be to end dual welding pistols to kill an antagonist
which is unfortunately, what they also landed on.

RagnarokX

I don't think they will be doing the survival gimmick again but I really, really want to see the Bow return. Slowly crafting the bow from a simple weapon to a killing machine yet making it a great companion for exploring/traversing was about the only thing that felt like a unique experience in TR compared to other AAA games.

I dunno based on
the book she's holding at the end
it seems like they might do another survival island theme for the sequel. Count me out if that happens.

Amir0x

Banned
I feel like this whole thread was designed for that. Spec Ops is more antitrop's territory.

So Derrick01, what do you think of Tomb Raider? Rate it a 7?

This made me roll my eyes so hard. Let's shoot at random thug guy and not the leader.

It's funny but the narrative is probably worse than our worst possible nightmares of how the narrative would turn out; but then, that's why I don't anticipate stories in games. Same ancient story as old as time. Game stories just can't stop sucking ass.

Dahbomb

I dunno based on
the book she's holding at the end
it seems like they might do another survival island theme for the sequel. Count me out if that happens.
Well if they do the survival theme again then they better flesh out the survival elements this time around.
So Derrick01, what do you think of Tomb Raider? Rate it a 7?
He already gave it a 4/10.

Sanctuary

This made me roll my eyes so hard. Let's shoot at random thug guy and not the leader.

That's okay. Earlier
he told his minions to "kill her", but instead they just knock her out.

Also, has anyone else seen the movie The Descent? The
Geothermal Caverns
reminded me of that a hell of a lot.

He would also make a hella bad game reviewer. Even the harshest objective (yeah I know...) reviewer couldn't give it less than a 6/10. I can't remember ever playing a game that was even a 5/10 ever, and this isn't anywhere near that bad. If all you're doing is comparing it to past Tomb Raider games and coming in with these gigantic expectations (hype), instead of reviewing it for what it is, you're doing it wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
Well if they do the survival theme again then they better flesh out the survival elements this time around.

Oh how utterly delightful probably a bit too high for my tastes, you gotta link to his post?

Wait, the magic of thread searching is upon us now... *searches*

Oh and hopefully Lara learns to swim in the next game and doesn't get her head crushed by a sea rock when trying to swim.

Definitely the funniest death in the game. It basically retcons the way you fell into the water so she can hit her head. So awkward.

I agree about the your other points as well. The bow's utility over the game was pretty satisfying. I preferred it in general combat as well, over the guns.

RagnarokX

No, they need to cut them out completely. It was pretense here, but it'd be even worse if they try it again; it would make absolutely no sense.

Definitely the funniest death in the game. It basically retcons the way you fell into the water so she can hit her head. So awkward.

I agree about the your other points as well. The bow's utility over the game was pretty satisfying. I preferred it in general combat as well, over the guns.

The current slams her into the rock. The funny part is that no matter where you fall into the water at she always somehow finds the exact same rock.

No, they need to cut them out completely. It was pretense here, but it'd be even worse if they try it again; it would make absolutely no sense.

I think the game has too much of a focus on the cinematic for them to ever develop the survival element past gimmick status. Assuming the sequel will follow on, I agree that it's probably best they leave that idea alone.

Dahbomb

They also need to make the next game just be about Lara and not have that god awful crew following her around. I hope they show in the next game that the crew thinks Lara is nuts for going out on an expedition again despite almost getting killed so many times in this one. At least that's what I thought when I saw the ending...
*Goes through hell on an island and narrowly escaping death at every turn.

*"Yeah I am going on another ghost island next... before my wounds have even properly healed"

Lara is clearly portrayed as an adventure addict/thrill seeker by the time the game ends. I mean that's the only way I can explain her action at the end.

antitrop

They also need to make the next game just be about Lara and not have that god awful crew following her around. I hope they show in the next game that the crew thinks Lara is nuts for going out on an expedition again despite almost getting killed so many times in this one.
Or perhaps the origin story/prequel to Far Cry 3 of how Lara Croft and her crew find Rook Island, with Vaas going insane and murdering all of them except for Lara.

I'd play that.

RagnarokX

They also need to make the next game just be about Lara and not have that god awful crew following her around. I hope they show in the next game that the crew thinks Lara is nuts for going out on an expedition again despite almost getting killed so many times in this one. At least that's what I thought when I saw the ending...
*Goes through hell on an island and narrowly escaping death at every turn.

*"Yeah I am going on another ghost island next... before my wounds have even properly healed"

Lara is clearly portrayed as an adventure addict/thrill seeker by the time the game ends. I mean that's the only way I can explain her action at the end.

That's part of the problem with the narrative. She's already an adventurer and thrill seeker BEFORE THE GAME. The scared lack of confidence parts feel forced. The only thing that really changes about her personality by the end of the game is her skepticism.

Dahbomb

That's part of the problem with the narrative. She's already an adventurer and thrill seeker BEFORE THE GAME. The scared lack of confidence parts feel forced. The only thing that really changes about her personality by the end of the game is her skepticism.
Ah OK I didn't really feel that in the game with the way they told the narrative but I guess I can buy that more.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
God the writing in this game is so awful. And there is absolutely no feeling of reality or tension because the knobs are turned up to 11. When will developers learn that they don't have to be a Michael Bay movie in order to hold our attention?

RagnarokX

Ah OK I didn't really feel that in the game with the way they told the narrative but I guess I can buy that more.

She talks about adventures she used to go on. She's been exploring ruins since she was a little kid, and she's had survival training. One of the documents you find talks about how she and Sam have been around the world exploring ruins and climbing mountains and how Lara is more concerned with exploration than anything else. This is just her first experience with entire armies of guys.

Amir0x

Banned

Ideal Tomb Raider narrative

Lara Croft enters a tomb

"Fuck yeah lets raid this bitch"

Rest of the game only has about a paragraphs worth of dialogue; some dialogue explaining the nature of the artifact/relic you're after, and one or two little shit comments like "OH FUCK ME I'M FALLING TO MY DEATH BECAUSE PLATFORMING ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING IN THIS GAME AHHHH"

Wrap it up in a bow; narrative is automatically better than all these try-too-hard nonsense games.

I was responding to this

I love the desperate, desperate elitism in this thread.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you went there, I thought your post came across at least as uncomfortably.

Personally, I question why someone would eat nothing but junk food because of the health concerns and the fact that I don't necessarily share the appeal, not because I think they must simply be morons and I must not be.

Dahbomb

Ideal Tomb Raider narrative

Lara Croft enters a tomb

"Fuck yeah lets raid this bitch"

Rest of the game only has about a paragraphs worth of dialogue; some dialogue explaining the nature of the artifact/relic you're after, and one or two little shit comments like "OH FUCK ME I'M FALLING TO MY DEATH BECAUSE PLATFORMING ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING IN THIS GAME AHHHH"

Wrap it up in a bow; narrative is automatically better than all these try-too-hard nonsense games.
But how will I relate to Lara if I don't have numerous unskippable cutscenes forced on me?

Derrick01

Banned
He would also make a hella bad game reviewer. Even the harshest objective (yeah I know...) reviewer couldn't give it less than a 6/10. I can't remember ever playing a game that was even a 5/10 ever, and this isn't anywhere near that bad. If all you're doing is comparing it to past Tomb Raider games and coming in with these gigantic expectations (hype), instead of reviewing it for what it is, you're doing it wrong.

I would make a bad reviewer because I use the whole scale. 5/10 is average and 4 is slightly below average, which in fact I feel like I was being kind to TR by giving it that. But since the status quo for AAA games is mediocrity this fits the bill nicely.

Oh how utterly delightful probably a bit too high for my tastes, you gotta link to his post?

Wait, the magic of thread searching is upon us now... *searches*

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49302783&postcount=6532

Amir0x

Banned
But how will I relate to Lara if I don't have numerous unskippable cutscenes forced on me?

Well they can have an option in the options menu... we'll call said option the "Rather be watching movies than playing games" option. It'll automatically insert 13 new cutscenes that are completely incongruous with the gameplay and increase the number of explosions and QTEs 5x.

Actually this would be a brilliant idea if more games had an option like that! I'd shut off the cutscenes in almost every game I played :p

Derrick01 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=6532

Thanks man. I found it a minute or two earlier... very interesting read. Given that I already knew you'd be negative on it (because it was obvious the problems the game has to people like you or I), it seems you have a fairly well thought out perspective on the issues the game has.

The problem with a lot of game stories is that they put in enough effort to make something of a reasonable length and passable quality, but not enough to go all the way to worthwhile.

It's a slippery slope as well. You start trying to write a good story and before you know it Liquid Snake lives on as an arm attached to another person. At least there's something to be said for entertainingly over the top.

Dahbomb

They would never relegate cutscenes to an optional feature simply because they spend too much time and resources on it. Plus the journalist love high concept cutscenes and Hollywood scripted events.

Only way this trend will die is if the press and the gamers reject this model and the companies lose millions because they wasted their budget on flashier cutscenes. Sadly that isn't going to happen anytime soon because journalists still get money hatted in spades.

Amir0x

Banned
They don't, not all of them. A lot of the cutscenes are there to mask the loading time so if the game hasn't loaded yet you are forced to watch them.

And in defense of Tomb Raider, I suppose I'd rather sit through a dreadful cutscene to mask loading then a black screen :p

KefkaPalazzo said:
Great game so far...sad to see its bringing out the worst of some of GAF and making Pachter look justified in his hate.

The worst of GAF = people going through great lengths to explain their problems (and likes) about a game?

Top Bottom