• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I guess they still forgot to fix which way it's blowing.

it only blows the wrong way in the benchmark. that scene in the game it blows the same way as the flags. it's a benchmark, i don't think it really matters if her hair is blowing the same way as the flags.

I think it looks good most of the time.

agreed. well, now that there aren't regularly obviously big gaps between her shoulders and where her hair is 'lying' on them.

but I didn't come here into the OT to talk about that. I just came to say that anyone who thinks this is just an action game now is mad. It's got loads of exploration and discovery. To me at least *that's* Tomb Raider. Just because I don't have to figure out how to get on top of something in order to press the fourth button required to open a door doesn't mean I don't try to get on top of all the buildings around. I do. That the game lets me is what I love, not whether there's a valid reward up there, or a required lever to pull. I'm exploring ruins at my own pace, I very regularly have time to breathe and to just explore without the constant threat of attack...

It's a fantastic game. Gameplay is solid. Graphics are great. Most importantly though... the world design is top tier.

pakkit

Banned
Questions before I take the dive: Is Lara characterized well? Does she seem like a real character or more like OG Lara, who was originally created just so the programmers had something easier on the eyes to stare at. I've heard a lot of clamor about the sudden shift from reluctant survivor to full throttle hero - but otherwise are you on her side?

here is the TressFX hair after the patch, video is still processing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVnBdzUWNY

8541962266_2e8b45e17e_o.gif

Some slight jankiness but otherwise looks good I guess.

Just finished the game. Good ending and good game overall. I feel there's a lot of flaws that need to be addressed in the sequel though, such as the pacing and gunplay. Less setpieces and more exploring, because this game truly shines when you're exploring and solving puzzles.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have to say, this game is very well made and very fun. I like it. But it's so far from what I would expect from a game called Tomb Raider. But that's okay I guess. I still have my old games and my depression medication.

This looks horrible, btw. Looks like a mop or broom on her head.

Vidal Assoon total.

This was probably a bad game to debut that tech in considering the punishment Lara's hair takes.

Hopefully CDProject incorporates it into The Witcher 3 for some majestic beard Geralt action

I find the user score more reliable than the critic one, but I don't allow either of them to make up my mind. Was just pointing out the rarity of an AAA game scoring so high with both critics and users.

I'm surprised this game didn't get votebombed by that weird Russian Metacritic cult seeing as how the game has Russians and a cult

XOMTOR

It's strange. This game seems to have borrowed a lot from Uncharted. And i absolutely loved Uncharted 1+2 and i will forever love those games. But i got bored by Uncharted 3 (too much setpiece orientated) and Golden Abyss (too much easy traversal). I feel the same about this Tomb Raider. Maybe the formula is getting stale for me. I think game developers are taking the "cinematic" angle way too serious in these last couple of years. At this point, i'm yearning for some old fashion skill based platforming and shooting. Also, developers, please get rid of those QTE setpiece sections that probably take half the game budget to make and don't add anything special to the game.

In the end, i'm not feeling like i'm playing much of a game, but more a movie with gameplay thrown it to bridge the sections between the cutscenes and cinematic QTE setpieces.

I think the term "empty gaming calories" aptly applies. These types of games are targeting the masses much like many summer Hollywood blockbusters do. They're designed to draw in large crowds who just want something simple and "fun" to pass the time.

The new Tomb Raider is a very casual game (please don't take this as some form of elitism) in that it's designed to have a broad appeal; it's aimed at those that perhaps simply want a game to serve as a fun pastime. Nothing wrong with that but it's not something likely to leave a lasting impression, especially on those looking for a bit of a challenge. It's a fun romp but once you've played a few games like this, it can become a bit repetitive.

I'm hoping Naughty Dog has realized this and will take The Last of Us in a new direction and give that game more challenge and more direct control to the player with less of the cinematic flair.

BTW, I'm not saying cinematic games can't have good gameplay, they most certainly can. The MGS games are cinematic to the point of overload but during gameplay, the player is given a surprising amount of control over how to approach things.

TheExodu5

Banned
The only thing that really needs to be done for the hair is to add some sort of friction coefficient between the hair and Lara. In the video posted above, the hair too easily goes over the front of her shoulder, when in reality it should be mostly staying behind the shoulders.

Finished the story. Ending was a little of a let down, wished it was more hardcore or just more to do. The 'boss' was meh. Finished with 82% completion. Enjoyed the game alot. Excited, and worried, to see what the future game will do though.

Dysun

I played about 5-6 hours last night, really like it so far. Never been a fan of Tomb Raider, but the pseudo Uncharted-Tomb Raider is hitting on all notes for me right now.

Darkkn

The only thing that really needs to be done for the hair is to add some sort of friction coefficient between the hair and Lara. In the video posted above, the hair too easily goes over the front of her shoulder, when in reality it should be mostly staying behind the shoulders.

They should also stop trying to simulate each hair strand individually. It just looks weird and in reality hair clumps up in thicker strands.

Phenomic

Perhaps someone on GAF can help me with this one.

I'm in the mountain village after going back and I'm searching for GPS Caches. I have 12/15 of them and there's one in particular that just seems like it's bugged. It's saying the location on the map is in a small house or almost just a shack. I can climb on the roof, I don't see it there. It's not inside the physical house itself, and it looks like the house is on stilts or it's raised off the ground. I can run around under the house as well, but it doesn't seem to be there either. If I jump down the cliff away from the shack I can't get on top of the spot on the map where it says it's located and there doesn't seem to be anywhere higher or lower I can go.

I am just not getting 100% or am I just missing something really obvious.

Edit I just found a screen shot of the location on some website. I've run around that spot like 5 or 6 times it's so odd.

http://www.gosunoob.com/tomb-raider/tomb-raider-maps/gps-cache-13/

Has anyone else run into anything like this? That's a map for it above. Obvious sort of spoiler.

edgefusion

Tring-a-ling-a-ling!! There's a secret tomb nearby you guys! Hey everyone, a secret tomb! But don't tell anyone 'cos it's a secret!

addyb

I'm really enjoying it so far. Not sure how far i am. Just getting a boat fixed. Game says 52% but I'm assuming I'm more than half way through.

K' Dash

what patch? haven't got any message of a patch from steam, anyway I think TressFX drains too many resources to make it worth it, Alice did something similar without making the game 15fps.

Apart from that I'm loving it to bits, and I really like that so far is more about exploration than shooting, even if the shooting feels really good.

I'm in the mountain village after going back and I'm searching for GPS Caches. I have 12/15 of them and there's one in particular that just seems like it's bugged. It's saying the location on the map is in a small house or almost just a shack. I can climb on the roof, I don't see it there. It's not inside the physical house itself, and it looks like the house is on stilts or it's raised off the ground. I can run around under the house as well, but it doesn't seem to be there either. If I jump down the cliff away from the shack I can't get on top of the spot on the map where it says it's located and there doesn't seem to be anywhere higher or lower I can go.

Edit I just found a screen shot of the location on some website. I've run around that spot like 5 or 6 times it's so odd.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? That's a map for it above. Obvious sort of spoiler.

I just grabbed that one, it was exactly there where the picture is showing.

I posted this in the performance thread but received no answer.

Is there a reason why the vsync in this game sucks? In-game triple buffering doesn't fully cure screen tearing, and anything external doesn't make a difference either. :/

Phenomic

what patch? haven't got any message of a patch from steam, anyway I think TressFX drains too many resources to make it worth it, Alice did something similar without making the game 15fps.

Apart from that I'm loving it to bits, and I really like that so far is more about exploration than shooting, even if the shooting feels really good.

I just grabbed that one, it was exactly there where the picture is showing.

Yeah it's just not spawned on my game for some reason. I found a random forum post talking about bugs but it didn't specify this one or go into any real detail about what was happening other than GPS stuff not being there. It's just odd.

spekkeh

Banned
It's a weird thing but the thing I almost like most about this game is the camera work. Many of the shots are framed beautifully or functionally and they have the shakycam down to a pat.

ironcreed

Banned

Nice, but I find that the hair physics in Alice: Madness Returns is nearly as impressive, if not a bit more natural. Lara's hair kind of clips through her back and looks a bit too floaty. Gorgeous game, though.

ij3LPcrcZCSjc.gif

ibSOnM5IBRcM2.gif

ieDVmzGesPoT5.gif

Anyway, not to derail. Just sayin'.

Started replaying Legends and aside from some better puzzles. It still is pretty linear, has quick time events, quite a few enemies to kill and pretty bad combat, with terrible side characters and a pretty laughable story. Man, Im having fun but def isnt the same amazing game I remember lol.

bs000

Do enemies spawn post completion? If so, where's a good spot to get the X number of kills with weapons for the achievements/trophies?

Ricker

One other thing I think is awesome in this game,that's never been done quite like this before and works extremely well,like some people mentionned before, is the no button,works automatically,in and out cover system...super fun.

Do enemies spawn post completion? If so, where's a good spot to get the X number of kills with weapons for the achievements/trophies?

I am not sure if it's because I missed them the first time around but even before post game,there's a few places I went back to and there was a few ennemies so I would guess yes...I havent finished yet though.

pakkit

Banned
Questions before I take the dive: Is Lara characterized well? Does she seem like a real character or more like OG Lara, who was originally created just so the programmers had something easier on the eyes to stare at. I've heard a lot of clamor about the sudden shift from reluctant survivor to full throttle hero - but otherwise are you on her side?

Anyone?

RagnarokX

You know you can set waypoint markers on the map, right? When you use survival instinct there will be a huge beacon showing the exact location of the thing you put the marker on.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So there's no New Game+ right? I beat the game last night with a completion of 67% but I'm playing it on PC so if the only reason to play the SP again is just to get 100% I'm just going to uninstall it since MP is a joke.

Am I the only one constantly finding major flaws in this game that can't be overlooked? terrible characters, bad voice acting, almost no or irrelevant character development, awful pacing etc. etc. The gameplay itself is solid and enjoyable but come on TR don't bloody toss wave after wave of enemy at me, that's not what you're about

LegendX48

Am I the only one constantly finding major flaws in this game that can't be overlooked? terrible characters, bad voice acting, almost no or irrelevant character development, awful pacing etc. etc. The gameplay itself is solid and enjoyable but come on TR don't bloody toss wave after wave of enemy at me, that's not what you're about

no, if you go back several pages you'll find other people who've felt the same

scitek

No, I feel the same. It's fun enough to beat once, but that's about it for me.

SpokkX

Tring-a-ling-a-ling!! There's a secret tomb nearby you guys! Hey everyone, a secret tomb! But don't tell anyone 'cos it's a secret!

uh.. the game advertises a "secret tomb" when you are nearby?

on the fence about this game but i HATE handholding.. will I get annoyed at Tomb Raider then?

Varna

I feel the same way but not of anything you listed in particular. All the story related stuff is just fine to me. Everything on the gameplay side is just terrible though.

uh.. the game advertises a "secret tomb" when you are nearby?

on the fence about this game but i HATE handholding.. will I get annoyed at Tomb Raider then?

YES.

I really really hope the game gets better. Im 1 hour in and its just laughable bad.
You jump against a burning house and then you land. After a while you burn and the ragdoll throws you high into the air and you die.
"Who are they worshipping?"... srsly Lara? You said you know "EVERYTHING" about this island.
Cutscenes everywhere.
Guy gets a headshot and mutters on.
Guy says "Stay there or i will kill you" and subtitle says "Rusian".
You throw fire into a plane and the steel falls off... "naturally".
The Story is even worse then Transformers.
And the "puzzles" are easy. I feel insulted by this.
I were befor a tomb and then a message pops up "Secret Tomb nearby". Aha Mr Obvious.

Overall the Atmosphere is like Twillight for Adults.

TheExodu5

Banned
Really, Roth?

The leader is running at me with a throwing axe, and I have another fully loaded gun in my holster. I'll just turn around, let him axe me in the back, and let him run away before I continue firing at his followers.

Hulud

I'm currently at that ShantyTown section. Am i far from the end?

Unfortunately, i'm not enjoying the game as much as i had hoped. I love 3rd person action/adventure/shooter/puzzle games but i feel kind of bored going through this game. After the initial enthusiasm settled down, i didn't have any particular feelings towards this game since then and i'm just going through the game until i reach the end. Sure, great production values without a doubt and it's obvious a lot of hard work was put into this game. A true modern day AAA blockbuster game...

It's as if the developers tried to cram each and every fashionable modern game mechanic into this game (xp, traversal without skill, cutscenes with QTE, open world-ish hubs that don't add much to the experience, extremely easy to no puzzles, cinematic, setpieces...) but the overall game feels rather boring and very formulaic, if that make sense. Cutscene, a bit of extremely easy traversal, shoot-out, spectacular setpiece with QTE to narrowly escape, easy traversal that is only there to move through the game, shoot-out,... and so on and on. Story and characters feel very flat. Also, i think there is something with the framerate being constantly kind of low-ish (on PS3) that makes it feel less smooth. The very few times that thinking appears to be required, the game throws the solution in your face to make sure that the player "doesn't get bored".

It's strange. This game seems to have borrowed a lot from Uncharted. And i absolutely loved Uncharted 1+2 and i will forever love those games. But i got bored by Uncharted 3 (too much setpiece orientated) and Golden Abyss (too much easy traversal). I feel the same about this Tomb Raider. Maybe the formula is getting stale for me. I think game developers are taking the "cinematic" angle way too serious in these last couple of years. At this point, i'm yearning for some old fashion skill based platforming and shooting. Also, developers, please get rid of those QTE setpiece sections that probably take half the game budget to make and don't add anything special to the game.

In the end, i'm not feeling like i'm playing much of a game, but more a movie with gameplay thrown it to bridge the sections between the cutscenes and cinematic QTE setpieces.

I agree with all of this. This game bores me to tears and I really wanted to like it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Multiplayer lobbies take waaaaaaaaaaaay too long

and for fucks sake, if i unlock a weapon add-on with one faction GIVE IT TO ME IN THE OTHER FACTION

Dahbomb

The pacing is solid IMO. They mix up various set pieces and mix slow traversal spots with combat heavy sequences. Only the last portion went combat heavy but even then the last set piece was followed by an extended traversal sequence.

All your complaints are legit though, for as much time is spent on cutscenes and dialogue it isn't really that great. I mean TR has never been about a high brow story or deep characters but this reboot was supposed to change that. It's just the same ol' stuff, a lot of stuff copied frok Lost as well.

Unity2012

Some of the complaints are, indeed, legit; but isn't this the case for most games? We can read any thread around and find hundreds of dissapointed gamers where many found a great experience... the half empty, half full glass effect.

If we start strictly focusing on the flaws of every game, we would not be playing much these days.

Yes, there are a few imperfections and odd choices in the game--I agree with some of them, however my point is that the game is not broken--meaning unplayable; and can be fun if we look at it from the overall experience point of view or as a fan of the genre.

Top Bottom