• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

LegendX48

The game is a tiny bit better on a second playthrough. Going through on Hard and while I'm having slightly more fun with it this time around it sill falls apart once you reach the damned shantytown :\

It goes full retard once you hit shantytown and you should never go full retard or Uncharted in this case... whatever, leave me alone! This game has caused my brain to go on overload, I haven't played a game that continually mixes up my thoughts on it super frequently in a while.

Honestly, I'd say that it wasn't an issue of budget.

I think they wanted to do the tombs the way they did so either they could ease newer players in to the idea, or because it detracted from the story too much. I'd love to see tombs come back, but for this game specifically, with the story it was trying to tell and the audience it was trying to entertain and invite, the tombs being small is kind of obvious. Huge tombs would be a bit out of place in this situation. The reason Lara gets to the tombs and what not is because she's investigating and searching for things. In this game, she has a clear goal.

Yeah agree about tombs and puzzles not aligned with the story they're telling.

I hope the next one is also contained in one location with a tightly integrated story. I think I prefer it like this - a location with its own character.

LiK

Just finished it. AWESOME. The game was fun with no boring parts ever. Combat was great with smooth controls and aiming. The set pieces were fantastic too. Excellent VO and writing in those documents.

Overall, fantastic game. One of my top games this year no question.

Btw, I played on PS3 and encountered ZERO bugs/glitches/crashes. Props to the devs for such a polished game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Tomb Raider Bus Ad, You Had One Job …
original.jpg

Ricker

I remember the last tomb I needed was in the Shantytown too. If I remember correctly it's kinda straight ahead from the helicopter to run into. It's in this room and there should be some wooden panels on the floor you have to pry open. There might be some guys practicing some ritual in there too. But yeah Shantytown is a pain to navigate.

Ok I think I know where it is now,thanks,I will try that...I'm missing one fucking egg poacher or whatever in Shanty and 5 of the ghost totems hanging from trees in the first 2 camps but the the hell with that lol....

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Btw, I played on PS3 and encountered ZERO bugs/glitches/crashes. Props to the devs for such a polished game.

This was the first game since Assassin's Creed 1 to hard crash my PS3. I was overall very impressed with how it ran, but has its wonky moments.

Zertez

I just finished the game a few hours ago and I enjoyed it a lot. I wasnt sure what to expect, since I was never a big fan of the past games minus Guardian of Light. I liked Guardian of the Light a lot so I gave Tomb Raider a shot. Im glad I did.

There was a lot of moments I felt for Lara and I think they did a good job with the progression of the character given the material they had to work with. I enjoyed hunting for hidden tombs, journals, searching for salvage, and finding pieces to upgrade current weapons. There was plenty of collectibles to find, but I didnt find them as tedious as other games like AC, GTA, and the collectibles werent hidden in ridiculous places that took an hour or more to figure out. Survival Instinct skills and maps helped a lot, but they still didnt make it too easy.

I thought the puzzles and platforming were well done for the most part. Most of them made sense and were clever in showing you how to solve the puzzle without holding your hand every step of the way. The combat was pretty solid, I just wish they made a few more melee weapons. It was very satisfying finishing off people with the climbing axe.

My only complaint is how little of a personality many of the side characters had. The game made me care about Lara and her safety, but I had little feeling for her friends or the villains. It was a drastic difference caring for Lara then running into her friends and not caring if they lived or died, just as long as I didnt have to save them yet again.

The villains were very predictable and you knew exactly what they were going to do hours before they did it. Im glad they didnt feel the need to throw in a crazy twist, but they should have made the bad guys a lot more ruthless and disgusting. Lara's friends were also just as predictable. They always seem to make the worst possible decisions and intentionally screw up, just to make the player have to rescue them again and again. Once you rescued them the first time, that should have been enough. I still dont know why Lara or her friends let one of the villains do as he pleased after some of the things he did to them. The secondary villain was a cock roach and I knew exactly how he would turn out, just by his actions in the first scene with him. The story wasnt great, but if they would have done more to give the other characters personality and emotions, I think it would have helped the story.

Having said all that, I still look forward to Crystal Dynamics work with the series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally found some time to sink into this, moreso due to the new nVidia drivers and the latest patch improving stability from launch. I'm enjoying it so far, but I can't think of a better, more recent gaming example of why quick time events need to fuck the hell off out of this industry and never, ever come back. They add nothing to this game, with the exception of throwing me out of the experience and making me bored.

Seriously. Developers. Stop. Just...stop, okay?

Montresor

Finally found some time to sink into this, moreso due to the new nVidia drivers and the latest patch improving stability from launch. I'm enjoying it so far, but I can't think of a better, more recent gaming example of why quick time events need to fuck the hell off out of this industry and never, ever come back. They add nothing to this game, with the exception of throwing me out of the experience and making me bored.

Seriously. Developers. Stop. Just...stop, okay?

I love them quick-time events. I think Tomb Raider's weakness is that every quick-time event only required the Y button. It would have been nice to require all four face buttons and require a bit more hand-eye skill.

So the Shopaholic trophy requirement is going to be patched, said Community manager.

I've talked to the team about this and I think they are actually going to make The General free so that he doesn't count toward the Shopaholic achievement! Hopefully the next patch.

Kinda shitty to people that actually achieved this though. But good for us that didn't get it yet. According to YGC only 335 out of 40,901 have gotten it. And it's a bronze trophy... I bet it was a mistake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love them quick-time events. I think Tomb Raider's weakness is that every quick-time event only required the Y button. It would have been nice to require all four face buttons and require a bit more hand-eye skill.

I can safely say you and I have gaming tastes that are world apart.

Montresor

I can safely say you and I have gaming tastes that are world apart.

Come on I doubt that. Even if that is true, you can't glean that much info just based off my opinion on quick-time events. I think what I definitely am is much easier to please than most gamers. I'm looking through my recently played games, and there's nothing that I really hated other than: 1) The single player in Black Ops 2 and 2) the melee combat across all Assassin's Creed games.

EatChildren

Come on I doubt that. Even if that is true, you can't glean that much info just based off my opinion on quick-time events. I think what I definitely am is much easier to please than most gamers. I'm looking through my recently played games, and there's nothing that I really hated other than: 1) The single player in Black Ops 2 and 2) the melee combat across all Assassin's Creed games.

I was joking ;).

I don't really think it's about whether or not you're easy to please, but simply whether you derive a certain quality from that level of interactivity. Either it engages you in the experience, or it doesn't. For me, these QTEs are like having the developer come up from behind and kick me in the shins, then make me press the Y button over and over while waggling a stick, in order to get back to playing the game. Like a big red, flashing warning light that says "HEY YOU! YOU GUY! YOU'RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME! NOW LETS PRESS SOME BUTTONS!". I find it really, really dumb, and exceptionally soulless. It's the pinnacle of lazy game design, in my opinion, as it totally disregards any sense of grounded, cohesive mechanics and interactive functions in favour of, quite literally, flashing buttons you have to press on the screen.

Montresor

I was joking ;).

I don't really think it's about whether or not you're easy to please, but simply whether you derive a certain quality from that level of interactivity. Either it engages you in the experience, or it doesn't. For me, these QTEs are like having the developer come up from behind and kick me in the shins, then make me press the Y button over and over while waggling a stick, in order to get back to playing the game. Like a big red, flashing warning light that says "HEY YOU! YOU GUY! YOU'RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME! NOW LETS PRESS SOME BUTTONS!". I find it really, really dumb, and exceptionally soulless. It's the pinnacle of lazy game design, in my opinion, as it totally disregards any sense of grounded, cohesive mechanics and interactive functions in favour of, quite literally, flashing buttons you have to press on the screen.

Dammit, I was prepared to edit my post with ratings I've given to games I've played and then I see that you were joking. =) I'll say that I agree that QTEs are definitely lazy. They do not require any sort of skill to implement from a design point of view. It's very easy to implement, because like you said it's just a set of flashing buttons, and meanwhile, the developers take control away from you, and your character starts doing wild, crazy stunts that would never be possible when you have direct control of the character.

But despite this, I still enjoy QTEs because it is just so satisfying seeing an on-screen button and then being tested purely on your ability to react quickly with a button press, your hand-eye skill. Maybe that's why I love the Rock Band series so much. I do love QTEs, but I think the QTEs in Tomb Raider are really weak. I want QTEs like in God of War, where at the end of a boss battle, Kratos jumps on top of his enemy and there are four to six button presses in a row, and you don't know which button is coming up next. Or like in Lollipop Chainsaw, when the main characters goes into a hysterical cheerleading dance while the headless boyfriend breakdances across a room, and his progression is based off 8 fast-paced QTE button presses.

edit: Oh and this is what I was going to post before I saw "I was joking"

Let's test this theory EatChildren. I use a site to track achievements and that site just so happens to store my review scores out of 5 that I've saved for each game. Here are scores out of 5 for 75 of the games that I've played:

Max Payne 3 - 5/5
Batman Arkham City - 5/5
Gears of War 3 - 5/5
Fallout New Vegas - 5/5
Red Dead Redemption - 5/5
Banjo Nuts N Bolts - 5/5
The Beatles Rock Band - 5/5
Alan Wake - 5/5
Deus Ex HR - 5/5
Rock Band 3 - 5/5
Fallout 3 - 5/5
Rock Band 2 - 5/5
Mass Effect 1 - 5/5
Bayonetta - 5/5
Grand Theft Auto IV - 5/5
Sleeping dogs - 5/5
Mass Effect 2 - 5/5
Tomb Raider Reboot- 5/5
lol
Batman Arkham Asylum - 5/5
Bioshock 2 - 5/5
Portal 2 - 5/5
Bioshock 1- 5/5
Orange Box - 5/5 (Half Life 5/5, Portal 5/5, Team Fortress 2 gets 0/5)
Shadows of the Damned - 5/5
Spec Ops The Line - 5/5
Rayman Origins - 5/5
Dust An Elysian Tail - 5/5
PB Winterbottom - 5/5
Fez - 5/5
Super Meat boy - 5/5
Bastion - 5/5
Limbo - 5/5
Braid - 5/5
Rock Band 1 - 4/5
AC Revelations - 4/5
Gears of War 2 - 4/5
Prince of Persia Cel-shaded - 4/5
Lollipop Chainsaw - 4/5
Dead rising 1 - 4/5
The Saboteur - 4/5
Bully Scholarship - 4/5
Mass Effect 3 - 4/5
Modern Warfare 2 - 4/5
Modern Warfare 1 - 4/5
Assassin's Creed 2 - 4/5
Gears of War 1 - 4/5
Rock Band Blitz - 4/5
Walking Dead - 4/5
Doritos Crash course - 4/5
Outland - 4/5
Perfect Dark XBLA - 4/5
Beyond Good and Evil - 4/5
Banjo Kazooie 1 - 4/5
Secret of Monkey Island 1 - 4/5
Alan Wake American Nightmare - 4/5
LA Noire - 3/5
NHL 12 - 3/5
NHL 11 - 3/5
AC Brotherhood - 3/5
Black Ops 1 - 3/5
Mirror's Edge - 3/5
Lost Planet 1 - 3/5
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands - 3/5
Guitar Hero 2 - 3/5
Black Knight Sword - 3/5
Axel & Pixel - 3/5
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - 3/5
Lara Croft Guardian Of Light - 3/5
Modern Warfare 3 - 2/5
NHL 10 - 2/5
Black Ops 2 - 2/5
Assassin's Creed 1 - 2/5
Joe Danger 2 - 1/5
Harm's Way - 1/5
Dash of Destruction - 1/5

EatChildren

Let's test this theory EatChildren. I use a site to track achievements and that site just so happens to store my review scores out of 5 that I've saved for each game. Here are scores out of 5 for 75 of the games that I've played:

Max Payne 3 - 5/5 - 3/5
Batman Arkham City - 5/5 - 4/5
Fallout New Vegas - 5/5 - 5/5
The Beatles Rock Band - 5/5 - 4/5
Alan Wake - 5/5 - 3/5 (Tempting to go a 4)
Deus Ex HR - 5/5 - 4/5 (5/5 if I don't dock the score for the boss fights and final stage)
Fallout 3 - 5/5 - 2/5
Mass Effect - 5/5 - 5/5
Bayonetta - 5/5 - 5/5
Grand Theft Auto IV - 5/5 - 1/5 or 2/5
Sleeping dogs - 5/5 - 4/5
Mass Effect 2 - 5/5 4/5
Batman Arkham Asylum - 5/5 4/5
Bioshock 2 - 5/5 - 3/5
Portal 2 - 5/5 - 5/5
Bioshock 1- 5/5 - 4/5
Orange Box - 5/5 (Half Life 5/5, Portal 5/5, Team Fortress 2 gets 0/5) - 5/5 for everything
Shadows of the Damned - 5/5 - 4/5
Spec Ops The Line - 5/5 - 2/5
Rayman Origins - 5/5 - 5/5
Super Meat boy - 5/5 - 5/5
Limbo - 5/5 - 3/5
Braid - 5/5 - 4/5
AC Revelations - 4/5 - 3/5 because beards
Lollipop Chainsaw - 4/5 - 3/5
Bully Scholarship - 4/5 - 4/5
Mass Effect 3 - 4/5 - 4/5
Modern Warfare 2 - 4/5 - 2/5
Modern Warfare 1 - 4/5 - 4/5
Assassin's Creed 2 - 4/5 - 3/5
Gears of War 1 - 4/5 - 3/5
Walking Dead - 4/5 - 4/5
Beyond Good and Evil - 4/5 - 4/5
Alan Wake American Nightmare - 4/5 - 4/5
AC Brotherhood - 3/5 - 3/5
Black Ops 1 - 3/5 - 3/5
Mirror's Edge - 3/5 - 4/5
Lara Croft Guardian Of Light - 3/5 - 4/5
Modern Warfare 3 - 2/5 - 1/5
Black Ops 2 - 2/5 - 3/5
Assassin's Creed 1 - 2/5 3/5

Sure. Put my own scores next to yours! For the ones I feel I can judge / have played.

Montresor

Almost the same, except for Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Spec Ops The Line, GTAIV and Team Fortress 2. Why the low score for Fallout 3 though? In some aspects I think Fallout 3 might even be better than New Vegas. I think the game play in both is virtually identical. But the setting in Fallout 3 was much nicer. I liked all the historical landmarks, and Bethesda made full use of the landscape to create several interesting scenarios, the best of all which was a side quest requesting that you track down the Declaration of Independence.

I think what would be even more telling is to see what games you loved that I didn't play. There is a reason there are no JRPGs or fighting games anywhere on that list. I can't stand either genre.

Thanks for taking the time to write out those scores though. =)

Bradach

I'm about 5 hours into this game and I'm loving it so far. I predominantly use the bow. There's quite a lethal sound when you use it and a satisfying thump when it hits home!
But is it just me or is the screen wobble in cut scenes almost unbearable? I'm not at all sensitive to that type of thing normally but it makes me want to throw up after about 60 seconds. I was even looking in options to turn it off but no such luck

Just finished it. AWESOME. The game was fun with no boring parts ever. Combat was great with smooth controls and aiming. The set pieces were fantastic too. Excellent VO and writing in those documents.

Overall, fantastic game. One of my top games this year no question.

Pretty much my exact thoughts too. Went in with a little caution, but in the end I loved it from start to finish. Sequel please.

This was the first game since Assassin's Creed 1 to hard crash my PS3. I was overall very impressed with how it ran, but has its wonky moments.

I had a cutscene fail to start including a sound file getting stuck like a skipping record early in the game. Everything else was fine on PS3.

Well, I did the tombs I missed, which back to back sort of add up to one decent tomb, but the heck with getting 100%.

I'm going to try to touch on a few major things that stood out for me without trying to rehash too much of what people have already covered.

I was surprised how generally ok traversal felt. Actual platforming design was better than Uncharted, albeit that's not really saying much. What I'm really getting at is how the controls are really nice, the feel of running Lara around the island is smooth as butter. Honestly, the best parts of the game for me were just the moments of wandering around exploring stuff. Much more open than Uncharted when it wanted to be, albeit similarly shallow. The rope zipline stuff was also a lot of fun I thought since it's about the only part of getting around that gives the illusion that you have real control in the matter.

Absolutely adored the atmosphere and the island. Tinges of Alan Wake meets Skyrim meets The Beach meets Castaway. Absolutely the best thing the game has going for it. It's certainly not the atmosphere I'd associate with Tomb Raider, but enough people have covered that at this point that I won't.

As far as the game taking control away from you, it honestly could have been a lot worse. If the first hour of gameplay had been indicative of the complete product, I wouldn't have lasted more than a couple hours. Absolutely dire. I will say though that I had great joy seeing Lara go through some automatic sequences where she freaks out over doing something scripted intended to make me relate more to the character - and then I'd promptly throw her off of a cliff to her death without any hesitation on her part trying to test out if some outcrop was just window dressing.

I actually found exploring for documents and some collectibles relatively enjoyable at first, surprisingly. Since they are actually lore relevant and require some pathfinding, I thought they fit fairly well into the exploration of the game. I never particularly felt like actively going around seeking them though, but they were fun to come across as I wandered. Once I reached the post game though, I couldn't bring myself to bother.

Absolutely the weakest part of the game are the combat encounters. Combat is either too easy or monotonous, or both; overly safe stealth kills, irritatingly repetitive waves, and QTEs are the three types of encounters in this. The hardest bits are the QTEs - every encounter that doesn't have a guy with an assult rifle can be dodge roll cheesed ad infinitum. There is literally one good encounter towards the end of the game, and that's because they abandon being a corridor cover shooter and instead go with open, multilevel, traversal-heavy cover shooting.

Lara's transformation from wounded student to Rambo is about as subtle and convincing as Bugs Bunny in a dress, and I felt the ludonarrative dissonance between how she feels in certain cutscenes and the cartoonish brutality you unleash in gameplay actually made me think much more highly of other power-fantasy pulp character transformations in games that I had previously thought felt a tad over-paced, like Wei Shen in Sleeping Dogs. The thing is, I think Tomb Raider would have been better served trying for more pulp and less seriousness. The narrative actually works best when it abandons realism for supernatural fantasy.

Another fundamental disparity within the game is how awful and tacked on the exp upgrades seem, but how relevant the weapon upgrades were. Frequently pertinent to the story or level progress, the weapon progress in the game is where Lara's real character progression takes place. The actual minor upgrades are mostly the same filler junk as the exp upgrades, but the major weapon unlocks I thought worked very well.

The exp and skill system however really might as well have not existed. I really disliked how tagged on this felt, I really think this was as unnecessary as the godawful waves of enemies.

But these sorts of inconsistencies are par for the course here This was truly a game that didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. Inconsistent, bipolar, cartoony and confusing, chugging through chorelike sections of the game to get to the good bits feels like digging for truffles with Porky Pig on a leash. The craftsmanship at play in so much of the audio and visual design left me rather more disappointed in the actual game than I even expected. A truly nicely rendered world lays here like a beached whale, something robust left helpless and trapped in spite of its potential by shallowness and poor decisions. When I look back, it will be with frustration at how mottled the final product was, and at the missed opportunities.

As someone who isn't the biggest Uncharted fan, I think I could say a lot of the game is what I would have preferred from the Uncharted series. At the same time, it takes itself too seriously - something Uncharted never really made the mistake of. Overall, the worst areas full of horrid combat do a lot to ruin the good will much of the rest of the game tries to build up. As such an uneven experience, parts of it I could give a 7 or 8 and nearly loved, other parts I could barely stand to keep enduring and wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'm just gonna settle on a 6 out if 10 on a full scale. It's not something I will likely bother to replay, but I'm not really sorry I played it once.

I'd also like to mention that the choice to allow you to continue to wander after the narrative has ended was an appreciated one. I think though that it speaks to the failure of scripted gameplay and narratives to do justice to the player's imaginations that the post game exploration was easily my favorite part.

RagnarokX

I thought the puzzles and platforming were well done for the most part. Most of them made sense and were clever in showing you how to solve the puzzle without holding your hand every step of the way. The combat was pretty solid, I just wish they made a few more melee weapons. It was very satisfying finishing off people with the climbing axe.

What? The game holds your hand extensively by not giving you choices, making everything you can interact with glow white even without survival instinct, and not giving you anything even remotely challenging to do. The puzzles and platforming are braindead easy. And yet Lara will sometimes still blurt out even more hints.

That would have made them even worse. The QTEs in this game were only sufferable because the required psychic abilities were at a minimum. They should have just gotten rid of them altogether or made them cutscenes.

Dahbomb

Damn it . . . how do you get taht GPS down at the bottom of the Mountain Village area?
Go to your map and add Waypoint to the GPS then use Survival Instinct to have it highlighted before you. You have to go down to the small river and around the bridge there's a small walkway.

Go to your map and add Waypoint to the GPS then use Survival Instinct to have it highlighted before you. You have to go down to the small river and around the bridge there's a small walkway.

Yeah it turns out that it was easy if you got when playing but it was a weird path to get to it when going back to collect things.

Now I'm missing a redcap, mine sweeping, and few other of those star challenges but I think I've had enough.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it turns out that it was easy if you got when playing but it was a weird path to get to it when going back to collect things.

Now I'm missing a redcap, mine sweeping, and few other of those star challenges but I think I've had enough.

The challenges are annoying because there is no way to put them up on your map, you have to find them one by one by running around and abusing survival instincts. It's dumb.

I did 100% it though, but I would never do that again.

Kammie

Finished it a little while ago. Hated the game when I first started, but I went back to it a day later willing to keep an open mind, and I ended up enjoying it thoroughly till the end. You can tell that they took a lot of inspiration from action movies. The best way I can think of the reboot is like going from the first Rambo movie to the second. It doesn't have much to do with what came before, but I can still appreciate it for what it is.

The main reason I'm not thoroughly disappointed is because the tombs didn't entirely disappear. As you near the end of the game you get to locations that begin looking like they belong in the previous TR games. And let's face it, the original tombs with their ultra-intricate setups were kind of silly. The reboot tries to keep most of the locations somewhat grounded in reality (most, not all--there are some places I'm not sure how the badguys even got up to), which I can kind of appreciate.

There are a lot of things that don't work in the game. The skill/weapon purchases are ridiculous and don't even need to be there considering how minimal the upgrades are. The idea of using diaries to flesh out the story has been done forever, but I don't understand how your ship crew's diaries end up in locations that would have required them to scale with a pickaxe. And the collectathons just suck, there's no rhyme or reason to any of it save to see your entire menu filled up with 100% everywhere. I mean really, do I need a percentage counter for every relic, so that I know that when I have 1/3 I'm 33% of the way there? There's numbers and percentages and all this crap floating around every single screen, when the game should have been HUD-less and bathing in minimalism. There's more shit to read here than in your typical RPG.

Anyway, those are the main complaints. Everything else in the game is great. I played it on Hard straight off, and didn't use the Instinct mode or whatever it's called except for a few times to see how it looked, which made the tomb puzzles especially a little more fun. In total I finished with 81% in about 21 hours. Story was silly but I liked how it ended up honoring the spirit of past TR ones with the mysticism. For me, everything from the temple onwards was intensely satisfying. The only thing I wish is that some of the setpiece cinematics had been interactive. I wasn't doing enough in places where I wanted to be doing stuff, especially towards the end.

One thing I really appreciated was how, despite the constant wave of badguys at first, later on you spend more time actually traversing environments. But I really hope that somehow, in the next game, they make it a bit more difficult. Be it manual grabs, more exact jumps, some type of stamina bar--I don't care. But if battles gave me a tough time Hard, why shouldn't the platforming, also? It's still stuck on Easy mode no matter what.

The environments were also incredible. I don't want to imagine the amount of work that they put into this. Really solid work.

Too bad there's no endgame content. I hope there's some type of DLC coming that's not multiplayer-related, at least.

One thing I really appreciated was how, despite the constant wave of badguys at first, later on you spend more time actually traversing environments. But I really hope that somehow, in the next game, they make it a bit more difficult. Be it manual grabs, more exact jumps, some type of stamina bar--I don't care. But if battles gave me a tough time Hard, why shouldn't the platforming, also? It's still stuck on Easy mode no matter what.

The environments were also incredible. I don't want to imagine the amount of work that they put into this. Really solid work.

Sounds like we sort of enjoyed and hated the same bits, with you being a bit more forgiving of the tombs and me of the weapon upgrades.

Honestly, if the whole package respected player's agency and intelligence more, made platforming actually distance based and punishing, and complemented the brilliant artistic design with deep level design, I'd give them another chance to make a sequel something special.

Some combat variety might be nice too, but unlike the rest of the game, I can't realistically figure out how they can fix what they have now, and I can't imagine them bothering to change much. I literally enjoyed one firefight in the whole game, and even then it was because it was the most dynamic yet was also probably the easiest.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm playing this game in small segments, and good lord is it awesome. The environments are all sooo cool, wow. The world's layout, how everything connects to each other and how upgrading gear gains access to new segments of previous areas completely reminds me of Arkham Asylum. It also has the same atmosphere in terms of "situation going from bad to worse". Sweaty palms throughout.

The balance between exploration/platforming and shooting is perfect.

This made me chuckle though:

Satchel

Banned
Pissed off I didn't check all the achievements before playing.

I got thigh the game 100% but realised I missed the chatterbox achievement, and afew combat ones. Payed through again just for those. Finally got them last night.

Need to concentrate on the mp now. I have a handful of achievements already, but some Might need some grinding. The mp isn't very fun though. Very rough. Anyone else hear about an incoming patch that will unlock the general from the start so you won't have to prestige?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Pissed off I didn't check all the achievements before playing.

I got thigh the game 100% but realised I missed the chatterbox achievement, and afew combat ones. Payed through again just for those. Finally got them last night.

Need to concentrate on the mp now. I have a handful of achievements already, but some Might need some grinding. The mp isn't very fun though. Very rough. Anyone else hear about an incoming patch that will unlock the general from the start so you won't have to prestige?

You're going to have to prestige three times if you wanna Platinum this game. Not worth it IMO.

Sounds like we sort of enjoyed and hated the same bits, with you being a bit more forgiving of the tombs and me of the weapon upgrades.

Honestly, if the whole package respected player's agency and intelligence more, made platforming actually distance based and punishing, and complemented the brilliant artistic design with deep level design, I'd give them another chance to make a sequel something special.

Some combat variety might be nice too, but unlike the rest of the game, I can't realistically figure out how they can fix what they have now, and I can't imagine them bothering to change much. I literally enjoyed one firefight in the whole game, and even then it was because it was the most dynamic yet was also probably the easiest.
Which firefight was it? I want to know if you're talking about the same one I'm thinking of.

There are a lot of things that don't work in the game. The skill/weapon purchases are ridiculous and don't even need to be there considering how minimal the upgrades are. The idea of using diaries to flesh out the story has been done forever, but I don't understand how your ship crew's diaries end up in locations that would have required them to scale with a pickaxe. And the collectathons just suck, there's no rhyme or reason to any of it save to see your entire menu filled up with 100% everywhere.

Yeah . . . go ahead and try to win the game without any weapon upgrades. It might be possible but it certainly wouldn't be easy. The upgrades are nice in that they keep changing the game and making it fresh.

Why are you whining about diaries and collectathons? They are completely optional. If you don't like them don't do them. "Hey doctor . . . it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Don't do that."

I don't mind QTEs, but somehow the way TR did them made (telegraphing) them more difficult for me compared to, say, RE4.

I HATE the left stick wriggling though. Why do I have to go left-to-right specifically? I have to use my right hand just to be able to do it quickly.

RagnarokX

Yeah . . . go ahead and try to win the game without any weapon upgrades. It might be possible but it certainly wouldn't be easy. The upgrades are nice in that they keep changing the game and making it fresh.

Why are you whining about diaries and collectathons? They are completely optional. If you don't like them don't do them. "Hey doctor . . . it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Don't do that."

Because they are replacing the more intelligently hidden secrets of previous games? It's not just the collectibles themselves but how they are placed in the level. The GPS caches and challenges are absolute shit and everything else is just laying out along the main path and very easy to find. Collecting should be fun and challenging, not a pixel hunt where the only challenge is finding the nearly invisible thing. Good collectibles are ones where you feel like you accomplished something by finding and/or they provide a reward that matters. Tomb Raider's collectibles for the most part provide either no challenge or tedium.

Sorian

Banned

Also, what's up with your first point? Bow -----> head = instant win. The few times that doesn't work, the shotgun makes it easy mode.

Amir0x

Banned
Because they are replacing the more intelligently hidden secrets of previous games? It's not just the collectibles themselves but how they are placed in the level. The GPS caches and challenges are absolute shit and everything else is just laying out along the main path and very easy to find. Collecting should be fun and challenging, not a pixel hunt where the only challenge is finding the nearly invisible thing. Good collectibles are ones where you feel like you accomplished something by finding and/or they provide a reward that matters. Tomb Raider's collectibles for the most part provide either no challenge or tedium.

Tis a lost cause, RagnarokX. Gamers today don't care about quality game design; we must give up the ghost

Play AntiChamber with me and give the middle finger to what else constitutes modern game design.

Kammie

The only upgrades that keep the game fresh are the ones that give you an alternate weapon or attack. Every technical modification that improves recoil and so on is just filler that doesn't really need to be there.

speculawyer said:
Are people supposed to enjoy finding the 15 meaningless GPS transmitters in Shantytown? Does it make sense that Whitman's diary is sitting on top of an inaccessible pyre of rock, that moreover somehow has a desk on top of it? I understand this is a videogame, but that doesn't mean I need to accept its retarded logic.

With regards to the collecathon, Legend and Anniversary had the right idea. Rewards that are Bronze, Silver and Gold depending on the difficulty, and a relic or two per area that requires a puzzle to acquire. Spamming LB for survival instinct every three seconds to find the hidden bird eggs on the pagoda roofs is just bad design, optional or not. If something is optional it should be fun, because I'm looking for added value from the game. It shouldn't be tedious.

The only one with a ton of dudes, but none with an assualt rifle. Towards the end.

The Stormguard fight
The high point of the game for me. Awesome lead-up. Not sure how it plays on normal, but on hard it was a rush.

Edit: By the way, I was impressed with the different weather effects and the day-night variations on every area that you can witness when you fast-travel. The team did some stellar work on this.

Does it make sense that Whitman's diary is sitting on top of an inaccessible pyre of rock, that moreover somehow has a desk on top of it? I understand this is a videogame, but that doesn't mean I need to accept its retarded logic...

for me, nothing tops the hundreds of lit candles at all the rooms - er, sorry, at all the 'tombs'. i'm supposed to believe that a mini-army composed of hulking psychopaths spends its off-time running around the island replacing/lighting all these candles? when they're not, i'm assuming, busy making them?...

yeah, i know: 'it's a game'. & i would've bought it in the old tr games. but in one so supposedly 'serious/reality-based' it made me smile every time i ran across some :) ...

Top Bottom