• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Kammie

for me, nothing tops the hundreds of lit candles at all the rooms - er, sorry, at all the 'tombs'. i'm supposed to believe that a mini-army composed of hulking psychopaths spends its off-time running around the island replacing/lighting all these candles? when they're not, i'm assuming, busy making them?...

yeah, i know: 'it's a game'. & i would've bought it in the old tr games. but in one so supposedly 'serious/reality-based' it made me smile every time i ran across some :) ...
Tell me about it. The worst offender was the area where you got to
the abandoned military base by the beach and you were opening up steel doors with your pick
. lol. But maybe the forces of the island keep the candles lit. Since I got a heavy Lost vibe from the game I didn't really bother to question what I assumed was infallible logic.

RagnarokX

Tell me about it. The worst offender was the area where you got to
the abandoned military base by the beach and you were opening up steel doors with your pick
. lol. But maybe the forces of the island keep the candles lit. Since I got a heavy Lost vibe from the game I didn't really bother to question what I assumed was infallible logic.

I dunno, I thought the worst offender was when you return from the radio tower climb to find
Roth has managed to climb to the highest point in the mountain village with only 1 leg and no path leading to that point. They should have had a cutscene that went like this:

Lara: How did you get up here?
Roth: I used this magical talisman I found that allows me to teleport to campfires. I found a spare, but it only works for campfires you've already been to... You can have it.
::FAST TRAVEL UNLOCKED!::

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why the low score for Fallout 3 though? In some aspects I think Fallout 3 might even be better than New Vegas. I think the game play in both is virtually identical. But the setting in Fallout 3 was much nicer.

I liked New Vegas a lot more mostly for why I play role playing games: a sense of cohesion and value between choices and consequences. Bethesda, in my opinion, fucking suck at doing this. Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 all suffer from the same problem where every choice you make is largely inconsequential and meaningless. And when I say "choice" I mean it in the grandest scope possible: from how you tailor your character's stats, the dialogue choices you make, and where you go in the game world.

With Bethesda's games I feel like I'm playing a pretty free form and relaxed sandbox game with a stat system bolted on. One very forgiving for any of the choices I might make or the things I might do. It's a streamlined experience that panders to playing through with one character for 100+ hours, seeing and doing mostly everything with one "life".

This, for me, is at direct odds with the roots of what defines "role playing", and where older CRPGs like Fallout and Arcanum shine. It's also where Obsidian really excel more than anywhere: a strong sense of responsive game design to the decisions you make. With Vegas the game world felt a lot deeper and versatile to the kind of character builds I could make, and the way I played those builds in the world. Where I could make a choice in a quest, wear a certain outfit, and behave a certain way, and the game world would respond to my decisions. That's a really big, important aspect of role playing to me: I need to feel the game world is organic and responding to my decisions, to make the character I'm "role playing" as feel even more unique and integral to the game world.

Bethesda does excellent world building, I just find the act of playing them a bit tiring and dull. I start off excited and interested in digging deep into the world. Then 20 hours later I feel like I've seen and said it all. New Vegas had far more interesting, morally ambiguous characters to engage with, more varied and investigative quest trees, and mechanics that favoured role playing over wayward adventuring. New Vegas is what I wanted from Fallout 3, basically. I don't think it's perfect, but I did feel Obsidian did a far better job of crafting a proper successor to Fallout 2, both in lore and design, than Bethesda did.

Bow + dodge counter is all you need the entire game.

By the end, I was using the bow almost exclusively, because over time I stopped sucking so horribly with headshots. Part of me wishes I had done a bow only run, but I'm not playing through this again. I managed to part ways on probably better terms than the game deserves, I think another run where the environments were no longer fresh would be a mistake.

My defense of the weapon upgrades is not so much the minor upgrade system, which is fundamentally as crummy as the exp system, but the way they gave you major new shit or abilities as the game progressed, which I thought gave a good illusion of progression for Lara.

Tis a lost cause, RagnarokX. Gamers today don't care about quality game design; we must give up the ghost

Play AntiChamber with me and give the middle finger to what else constitutes modern game design.

I keep forgetting to try Antichamber.

Ricker

Finally found all the Ghost Totems in the first 2 camps lol...now there's another one of those collectables that are bothering me,the minesweeper's in one of the middle camps...I found 0/10...I am guessing they are not glowing with the survival instinct ?...what am I looking for exactly...?...I am sitting at the last fast travel camp and this is the only thing bothering me before going into the last section,finding those might get me one last skill and the last Bow upgrade...

Herne

I was enjoying it right up until it started doing QTE's for the wolves. Fuck. That. "Press middle mouse button", it would say! And I would, but she would do nothing. And I would die, several times over. No, thank you.

Ricker

Got a 43 MB patch this morning on the 360...probably all multiplayer stuff I guess,which I wil try but have no real interest in.

Harts316

Are people supposed to enjoy finding the 15 meaningless GPS transmitters in Shantytown? Does it make sense that Whitman's diary is sitting on top of an inaccessible pyre of rock, that moreover somehow has a desk on top of it? I understand this is a videogame, but that doesn't mean I need to accept its retarded logic.

I just assumed that since the boat exploded and was swept up in a hurricane, all of the crew's personal effects were blasted all over the island.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Finished it.
Its a good game,tries to do some stuff that are not quite there (survival) but its an enjoyable game.

i think the ones that are impressed most are the ones that never played the uncharteds.

LiK

Finished it.
Its a good game,tries to do some stuff that are not quite there (survival) but its an enjoyable game.

i think the ones that are impressed most are the ones that never played the uncharteds.

Not true, i played all Uncharted games and TR was still impressive as hell. The only thing TR didn't have was it wasn't as graphically gorgeous as UC on consoles.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Not true, i played all Uncharted games and TR was still impressive as hell. The only thing TR didn't have was it wasn't as graphically gorgeous as UC on consoles.

from what im reading anyone that didn't play the uncharteds is impressed more
if you did,it leads to comparisons.....you could like it more than the uncharteds but if you missed the game that started the trend with setpieces its definitely different

Same here. I like Metal Gear's slower pace, especially MGS3, which is why I actually prefer Tomb Raider over Uncharted because it's less of a shooter.

glaurung

Finished the game 100% on PC last night. Thankfully both the developers and NVIDIA banged their heads together and fixed the constant crashing that was plaguing my system with Ultimate settings. Now everything works like clockwork.

I would say that I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the game as a whole. Listening to Garnett Lee hate on the game made me think though: I did not think that Lara's growth as a person was portrayed to its fullest effect either. But it's a minor niggle.

Very good platforming, satisfying gunplay and very fun weapon upgrade mechanics. Some genuinely masterful animations here and there too. Nice little RPG system too.

However, both the length of the single player campaign and the amount of challenge are on the short side. If I hadn't been playing on the hardest difficulty setting, I'd have finished this game a lot sooner. Even so, this game needs a brutally unforgiving difficulty setting.

And the puzzles were a complete joke. I know cats that could devise more cunning puzzles.

Overall though? Fun. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

LiK

from what im reading anyone that didn't play the uncharteds is impressed more
if you did,it leads to comparisons.....you could like it more than the uncharteds but if you missed the game that started the trend with setpieces its definitely different

That's true. I would say that if people liked Tomb Raider and don't mind more action and a bit more humor, they should check out the Uncharted series.

Matchew

I don't know I played all the Uncharted games and I'm love TR, but I was never a fan of the old TR games. I hope we get more TR games like this, it's so fucking good.

Kammie

Finally found all the Ghost Totems in the first 2 camps lol...now there's another one of those collectables that are bothering me,the minesweeper's in one of the middle camps...I found 0/10...I am guessing they are not glowing with the survival instinct ?...what am I looking for exactly...?...I am sitting at the last fast travel camp and this is the only thing bothering me before going into the last section,finding those might get me one last skill and the last Bow upgrade...
They're giant domed mines. You can find them on either sand or out in the sea.

I really dislike these challenges. The environments are HUGE, and the world has so much detail and so many places that are only accessible through one obscure path--the whole thing is super disorienting and just not enjoyable. I don't know if it's just me, but I've never felt truly lost in a game environment like I have with this one. I also don't know how some of you guys get 100% with only like 15 hours of play. I'm at 27 hours and still having trouble finding some of these challenges by myself, even with the survival instinct.

Grimsen

Finished the game last night, really impressive! didn't get 100%, so now I'm getting the side stuff, which is fun.

I ran into a bug at about 80% of the game, and had to look online on how to get past it.

If you guys run into a bug with a crane, don't waste your time and look it up on youtube. Once I knew how to get past the bug it took me a couple of minutes of fiddling.

A small stain on an otherwise superb game.

.GqueB.

Banned
One thing I really appreciated was how, despite the constant wave of badguys at first, later on you spend more time actually traversing environments.

Really? I just got to
The Beach
and I'm still getting bombarded by enemies. Does it slow down after this section? I feel like I'm nearing the end of the game.

Really? I just got to
The Beach
and I'm still getting bombarded by enemies. Does it slow down after this section? I feel like I'm nearing the end of the game.

Yes and no. You can use stealth for a good portion of encounters up until the last couple of areas. No area was as horrible as
the part of the game between the end of Shantytown and the Michael Bay Fortress
. Most of it is still monotonous garbage, but there seemed to be plenty of places to sit back and pick guys off from 100 yards to keep me awake.

LiK

Ah ok. Well at the very least, the encounters are fun as hell in this game so I don't mind them much. That bow... that bow.

my only gripe with the combat is that the melee needs to be unlocked which is a bit silly. you'd think you would learn to fight with a melee weapon before getting proficient with a gun.

antitrop

I agree with that, my guns upgraded so quickly and became so powerful with fewer level-ups than it would have required to make melee an enticing combat option. Poor balance, in that aspect. 90% of my encounters were solved with Assault Rifle and cover.

Melee requires too much effort, comparably, for no tangible reward other than forcing gameplay variety upon yourself. The only reason I even occasionally bothered to do anything other than "AR + Cover" was to see the various animations.

Thankfully, the cover and shooting mechanics are so well polished that it was still a joy to play like that.

my only gripe with the combat is that the melee needs to be unlocked which is a bit silly. you'd think you would learn to fight with a melee weapon before getting proficient with a gun.

It made sense though - Lara can't pit her strength against the enemies, and her weapon melee moves are brutal; she would only use them once she got used to killing (lol). Killing from a distance is easier than doing it up close, after all.

LiK

It made sense though - Lara can't pit her strength against the enemies, and her weapon melee moves are brutal; she would only use them once she got used to killing (lol). Killing from a distance is easier than doing it up close, after all.

i guess so. it was annoying early in the game when the guys rushed you before you had a gun. had to run around and try to use the bow on them which was funny.

.GqueB.

Banned
i guess so. it was annoying early in the game when the guys rushed you before you had a gun. had to run around and try to use the bow on them which was funny.

Yea the game was annoying earlier on since you were so gimped. I didn't start to really like [truth: love] the game until I got the shotgun. Opened up quite a bit after that and I haven't been bored since. Rolled my eyes a few times but that's about it.

This game is just fun. So simple to say but that's the long and short of it.

LiK

Yea the game was annoying earlier on since you were so gimped. I didn't start to really like [truth: love] the game until I got the shotgun. Opened up quite a bit after that and I haven't been bored since. Rolled my eyes a few times but that's about it.

This game is just fun. So simple to say but that's the long and short of it.

yea, the weapon upgrades only make it more fun as it progresses. i liked it.

J-Rod

I enjoyed the game, but Laura's friends made me cringe. I couldn't get into the story after they were brought into the mix.

when you are reunited with them at the boat, that one person says, "so glad that you joined us, Laura". This is after you saved their asses, your clothes are fucked, and it looks like your body has been through a meat grinder while she hasn't even managed to smudge her makeup. What an asshole. So Laura replies by asking what can she do and the answer is to go break your back trying to hoist some shit.

Later when the nerd guy dies a terrifying death, the fat guy is like, "whoa whoa whoa shut the fuck up about him and let's eat". These are some callous folks.

And to backtrack, when you first save them, they are jumping up and down cheering. "Whoa, executing that guy by stabbing an arrow in his face was super rad Laura! Woohoo!".

They really cut some corners on the presentation, too. For example, in this same part in the tense moment when the little prison they are in collapses, they are neatly ejected onto a ledge all standing up like it teleported them out. I started cracking up at that part.

But overall I enjoyed the game and thought they did a great job. The tressfx was pretty neat too. I wish there had been more tomb raiding as that was the parts I enjoyed the most even though every one of them was a slow walk through some caverns, solve one puzzle, and then slow walk out.

LiK

I enjoyed the game, but Laura's friends made me cringe. I couldn't get into the story after they were brought into the mix.

when you are reunited with them at the boat, that one person says, "so glad that you joined us, Laura". This is after you saved their asses, your clothes are fucked, and it looks like your body has been through a meat grinder while she hasn't even managed to smudge her makeup. What an asshole. So Laura replies by asking what can she do and the answer is to go break your back trying to hoist some shit.

Later when the nerd guy dies a terrifying death, the fat guy is like, "whoa whoa whoa shut the fuck up about him and let's eat". These are some callous folks.

And to backtrack, when you first save them, they are jumping up and down cheering. "Whoa, executing that guy by stabbing an arrow in his face was super rad Laura! Woohoo!".

They really cut some corners on the presentation, too. For example, in this same part in the tense moment when the little prison they are in collapses, they are neatly ejected onto a ledge all standing up like it teleported them out. I started cracking up at that part.

But overall I enjoyed the game and thought they did a great job. The tressfx was pretty neat too. I wish there had been more tomb raiding as that was the parts I enjoyed the most even though every one of them was a slow walk through some caverns, solve one puzzle, and then slow walk out.

the documents from them really added a lot to their backstory and throughts. it made them feel more well rounded and made me understand their reactions more. it sucks they made some of them hard to find but i recommend that anyone who didn't like the way the friends were portrayed should check them out.

Kammie

I couldn't help but crack up at the fact that
Adam died just to get them a wrench and a screwdriver

KevinCow

Banned
I just got this game in the Target sale and played it for a bit.

Somebody please tell me it becomes more than a series of QTEs and cutscenes at some point.

Serious question, I haven't really followed this game at all. I thought I was supposed to be able to explore the island, but my first impression isn't one of freedom.

DR2K

Banned

Somebody please tell me it becomes more than a series of QTEs and cutscenes at some point.

Serious question, I haven't really followed this game at all. I thought I was supposed to be able to explore the island, but my first impression isn't one of freedom.

Starts of linear and opens up.

.GqueB.

Banned

I'm near the end I the QTEs were pretty minimal overall. Here and there you'll get a prompt. There are a lot of cutscenes though but the good part is, some of them are playable. A lot of playable set pieces here that most games would make you watch which I kind of loved.

And yea it opens up later.

Top Bottom