• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

DocSeuss

that one person says, "so glad that you joined us, Laura".

Misspelling Lara aside, they had been busting their asses trying to
repair a boat while Lara just sat up at the top of the mountain and grieved
. I mean, Reyes is still kind of a bitch for saying that, but it's not like her perspective is completely unreasonable.

It's not like Lara mentioned what happened just before she joined them either, which, if I were in that position, I totally would have. "GUYS GUYS GUYS YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I JUST DID!"

.GqueB.

Banned
. I mean, Reyes is still kind of a bitch for saying that, but it's not like her perspective is completely unreasonable.

It's not like Lara mentioned what happened just before she joined them either, which, if I were in that position, I totally would have. "GUYS GUYS GUYS YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I JUST DID!"

I don't know... she had just rescued them from a pit of fire and then witnessed a guy getting axed in the back. I'd say she deserved a break.

pakkit

Banned
I just got this game in the Target sale and played it for a bit.

Somebody please tell me it becomes more than a series of QTEs and cutscenes at some point.

Serious question, I haven't really followed this game at all. I thought I was supposed to be able to explore the island, but my first impression isn't one of freedom.

It opens up, Kevin. The game that this most reminds me of (and hasn't been compared to too much) is Alan Wake. Both games boast incredible environments that offer a real sense of place (a rare commodity in video games these days). The games also have the similar pitfall of trying to characterize an invincible superhero with impeccable aim and dodging capabilities (Alan Wake supposedly has never shot a gun before, and Lara can't handle killing a deer). The two games benefit from smart collectibles that tie into the narrative and make exploration rewarding and allow the gamer to get a sense of the amount of planning and forethought found in the game world. And finally, both games are at their strongest when they embrace the creepy atmosphere and sense of abandonment, and at their worst when they bring in side characters whose function is to lighten the mood and slow down the pace.

I'm about half way so far, and it's the sense of place that Crystal Dynamics has really nailed and is pushing me forward.

Reyes dislikes Lara because Roth treated Lara like a daughter. He was never aware that he actually HAD a daughter, from a fling with Reyes. I can see why she is upset at Lara for allowing Roth to sacrifice himself and also for staying back to mourn, while Reyes sensibly got straight to work trying to plan an escape - even though she had lost her love.

Again, not well evidenced in the game. It seems the game didn't know how story focuses to go and it failed to strike a balance that was satisfying to both the casual play through and the completist.

.GqueB.

Banned
It opens up, Kevin. The game that this most reminds me of (and hasn't been compared to too much) is Alan Wake. Both games boast incredible environments that offer a real sense of place (a rare commodity in video games these days). The games also have the similar pitfall of trying to characterize an invincible superhero with impeccable aim and dodging capabilities (Alan Wake supposedly has never shot a gun before, and Lara can't handle killing a deer). The two games benefit from smart collectibles that tie into the narrative and make exploration rewarding and allow the gamer to get a sense of the amount of planning and forethought found in the game world. And finally, both games are at their strongest when they embrace the creepy atmosphere and sense of abandonment, and at their worst when they bring in side characters whose function is to lighten the mood and slow down the pace.

I do kind of like how they touched on this in the beginning.

Your shooting is a little wonky in the beginning until you start upgrading. The only weapon that was consistently dead on was the bow. But later on in the game she kind of went off the rails and they lost that. The more you upgrade her the more insane she became but it didn't reflect in the narrative. Kind of a disconnect.

spekkeh

Banned
The QTEs are massively front-loaded.

Which I think totally make ludonarratological sense. In the beginning Lara is only able to react to everything that's thrown at her. Scrambling to stay alive. Only later on does she learn to (wo)man up and take control of the situation.

krae_man

I couldn't help but crack up at the fact that
Adam died just to get them a wrench and a screwdriver

I'm still not convinced he died. Laura survived much worse. The only character that actually for sure dead is Roth

I do like that they developed the side characters better then Uncharted did. I didn't really feel bad for Cutter hurting his legs jumping down the cliff or whatever and that camera guy in Uncharted 2 was 100% ensign Ricky.

antitrop

Which I think totally make ludonarratological sense. In the beginning Lara is only able to react to everything that's thrown at her. Scrambling to stay alive. Only later on does she learn to (wo)man up and take control of the situation.

Interesting interpretation, I sort of buy that. I am rather sure that was not the original intention of CD when designing the game, it's not that deep, but it's kind of a neat coincidence when you think about it like that.

LiK

A survivor is born.

SmithnCo

Somebody please tell me it becomes more than a series of QTEs and cutscenes at some point.

Serious question, I haven't really followed this game at all. I thought I was supposed to be able to explore the island, but my first impression isn't one of freedom.

It's rather linear overall, but the start has more QTEs than the rest. Eventually it will become more open.

Kammie

The best part of the game is after you finish the story and can just explore and take on a few enemies here and there.
Not really. I can finally buy all the weapon upgrades but I have nothing to even test them out on.

They should have given you a special weapon or something to uncover special areas with a couple of tough endgame tombs. That would have been something enjoyable. I'm still hoping we get some type of DLC like this. Heck, even some DLC like in Guardian of Light where you fight endless waves of enemies would be cool.

Not really. I can finally buy all the weapon upgrades but I have nothing to even test them out on.
There are bad guys you can find. I ran into quite a few in the
Mountain Village
. I'm assuming there's more in other areas. And since they seem to be already on the map and milling about you can actually choose how you want to approach the combat.

Kammie

There are bad guys you can find. I ran into quite a few in the
Mountain Village
. I'm assuming there's more in other areas. And since they seem to be already on the map and milling about you can actually choose how you want to approach the combat.
I 100%ed the whole thing. While at first I thought it was awesome how there were some enemies again, in the end it's no more than 3-4 per zone. It doesn't really give you room to play around much. :( Not sure if they respawn either, since I haven't gone back after getting all the collectables in each area.

Ok guys, a little help here please, before I snap my disc in half. :/ This concerns a game breaking glitch I have encountered on the PS3 version
I entered the Cliffbunker only to fall through the ground and die. Literally, the ground disappeared and I fell through the sky to my death. I didn't think much of it, as I assumed it was a glitch and it would just reload to the last checkpoint. The problem is, it seems to have autosaved at that exact moment and the glitch is now the checkpoint it loads from, leaving me already falling to my death. I have tried absolutely everything I can think of to fix the problem to no avail. I am currently at 98% completion and the Cliffbunker was the final area I needed to complete for total game completion. If I have to start from scratch, I will just give up and call it a day. Has anyone encountered this problem and/or found a possible solution? I have never encountered such a game breaking glitch in a Tomb Raider game before and I am severely disappointed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My copy of Tomb Raider Trilogy seems to have been delivered earlier today. Hooray! Finally some puzzle-based platforming to satisfy me.

Gold_Loot

Quick question.

Why can I only see 14 GPS caches on the Shanty Town map? It's my last GPS to collect for my 100% and I can't find this thing anywhere.. I'm not bugged am I?

Ramirez

Just finished this a few minutes ago, and this is easily one of my favorite games in a long long long time. I didn't dislike a single section of the game, and that's really rare for me now a days.

My copy of Tomb Raider Trilogy seems to have been delivered earlier today. Hooray! Finally some puzzle-based platforming to satisfy me.

Enjoy! I need to clear out some rentals, and Bioshock is gonna eat up the beginning of April before I can get back to finishing Legends and Underworld.

Got through Anniversary before this came out. Really enjoyed it.

TripOpt55

Quick question.

Why can I only see 14 GPS caches on the Shanty Town map? It's my last GPS to collect for my 100% and I can't find this thing anywhere.. I'm not bugged am I?
I think it is in the same spot as a tomb so you can't see it very well on the map. If you toggle off tomb locations on the map I bet you'll see it. Assuming you are missing the same one I was.

KingJ2002

I finished this game recently... such a good experience throughout. I never thought a game can be so engaging.

the only thing that irked me was how much punishment lara took. she should have died so many times.

but aside from that... awesome game. i cant imagine the sequel being better.

Ok guys, a little help here please, before I snap my disc in half. :/ This concerns a game breaking glitch I have encountered on the PS3 version
I entered the Cliffbunker only to fall through the ground and die. Literally, the ground disappeared and I fell through the sky to my death. I didn't think much of it, as I assumed it was a glitch and it would just reload to the last checkpoint. The problem is, it seems to have autosaved at that exact moment and the glitch is now the checkpoint it loads from, leaving me already falling to my death. I have tried absolutely everything I can think of to fix the problem to no avail. I am currently at 98% completion and the Cliffbunker was the final area I needed to complete for total game completion. If I have to start from scratch, I will just give up and call it a day. Has anyone encountered this problem and/or found a possible solution? I have never encountered such a game breaking glitch in a Tomb Raider game before and I am severely disappointed.

That's awful. Mine was at the Chasm Rift and I was almost at the end too. (PS3) The patch did nothing to fix it. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1881778

I got screwed by the autosave too. New players should really take note to regularly switch save files.

Maybe try that forum for help?

Montresor

I liked New Vegas a lot more mostly for why I play role playing games: a sense of cohesion and value between choices and consequences. Bethesda, in my opinion, fucking suck at doing this. Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 all suffer from the same problem where every choice you make is largely inconsequential and meaningless. And when I say "choice" I mean it in the grandest scope possible: from how you tailor your character's stats, the dialogue choices you make, and where you go in the game world.

With Bethesda's games I feel like I'm playing a pretty free form and relaxed sandbox game with a stat system bolted on. One very forgiving for any of the choices I might make or the things I might do. It's a streamlined experience that panders to playing through with one character for 100+ hours, seeing and doing mostly everything with one "life".

This, for me, is at direct odds with the roots of what defines "role playing", and where older CRPGs like Fallout and Arcanum shine. It's also where Obsidian really excel more than anywhere: a strong sense of responsive game design to the decisions you make. With Vegas the game world felt a lot deeper and versatile to the kind of character builds I could make, and the way I played those builds in the world. Where I could make a choice in a quest, wear a certain outfit, and behave a certain way, and the game world would respond to my decisions. That's a really big, important aspect of role playing to me: I need to feel the game world is organic and responding to my decisions, to make the character I'm "role playing" as feel even more unique and integral to the game world.

Bethesda does excellent world building, I just find the act of playing them a bit tiring and dull. I start off excited and interested in digging deep into the world. Then 20 hours later I feel like I've seen and said it all. New Vegas had far more interesting, morally ambiguous characters to engage with, more varied and investigative quest trees, and mechanics that favoured role playing over wayward adventuring. New Vegas is what I wanted from Fallout 3, basically. I don't think it's perfect, but I did feel Obsidian did a far better job of crafting a proper successor to Fallout 2, both in lore and design, than Bethesda did.

Just quoting to let you know I appreciate the post.

By the end, I was using the bow almost exclusively, because over time I stopped sucking so horribly with headshots. Part of me wishes I had done a bow only run, but I'm not playing through this again..

They should add a Bow and melee only achievement. No kills other than bow & melee. (you can open stuff up with the shotgun & grenade).

I can appreciate this complaint but as other said, they become much less. You do need to do them for a few boss fights. And I had the same complaint with Uncharted 2. I fucking saturated that train boss with bullets so much that he had lead poisoning . . . I didn't realize that you HAD to do the QTE shit to kill him.

For some reason, I had to do the Wolves QTE about 7 times and I was ready to choke a bitch.

I kept hitting 'E' instead of 'F' I think. (PC version).

I can appreciate this complaint but as other said, they become much less. You do need to do them for a few boss fights. And I had the same complaint with Uncharted 2. I fucking saturated that train boss with bullets so much that he had lead poisoning . . . I didn't realize that you HAD to do the QTE shit to kill him.

For some reason, I had to do the Wolves QTE about 7 times and I was ready to choke a bitch.

.... Why are you using a ghetto keyboard instead of playing with a 360 controller? It makes PC gaming so much better.

Jtrizzy

It doesn't even tell you which button to press. I switch to controller and it's much easier to pass them. I died many time both on the wolf and on the creepy guy qte. I was enraged.

Najaf

Finished this up last night on PC. Game hard locked consistently at a certain spot on the last level but the latest nvidea beta drivers cleaned that up.

Great game overall, but I was saddened by a lack of new game +.

Anyway, I came here to ask if I'm the only one wishing that (spoiler for the end of research base)
you could have wielded the samurai sword? When she withdrew the blade, all I was thinking about was when we got Excalibur in Legend. I had my hopes up for having it be a post game bonus, replacing the ice axe, but alas.
I thought for sure we would have been able to especially after her comment of it still being
sharp.

Quoting for the new page.

lexi

Banned
Finished this up last night on PC. Game hard locked consistently at a certain spot on the last level but the latest nvidea beta drivers cleaned that up.

Great game overall, but I was saddened by a lack of new game +.

Finished last night, too. Great game, I was definitely left wanting more, though. Sequel ASAP please.

Anyway, I came here to ask if I'm the only one wishing that (spoiler for the end of research base)
you could have wielded the samurai sword? When she withdrew the blade, all I was thinking about was when we got Excalibur in Legend. I had my hopes up for having it be a post game bonus, replacing the ice axe, but alas.
I thought for sure we would have been able to especially after her comment of it still being
sharp.

I also got
anti-climatically excited for this. How awesome would it be to go all Michonne on everybody.

Spazznid

Am I the only one who is amazed that this thread is always on Page 1?

Not to say anything bad, but I never expected this from a Tomb Raider game, lol.

Good on Crystal Dynamic and Hopefully the sequel will be worthy of as much praise.

Try saving up to the moment of dying. Trick the game into reloading you in a different spot.

Only thing I can think of.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by 'saving up the moment of dying'? Is it possible to do a manual save? I tried changing save slots, but I just wound up with the same problem occurring on the second save. I really don't want to have to start a new game, as much as I enjoyed my experience, I just don't have the time between Uni and work to go through it again. But man, 98%! I'm seriously cut.

Poona

Haven't experienced it myself but have you tried posting that here?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309

Others could have experienced the same.

Locke_211

That's insult to injury :(

Like if Nintendo rebooted Zelda to not have puzzles and then played the secret sound effect when you find 500/500 "hidden" green rupees just laying around the levels.

None of the collectibles in Tomb Raider deserve that chime, especially not the GPS caches.

I don't know, I thought some of the stuff was pretty fun to find. It was searching out everything that really brought the intricacy of the bigger levels into the light. And there are quite a few cleverly placed nooks and crannies.

EDIT: I think I missed a piece of important info somehow. Why in the very final cutscene
does she appear to want to go to Croatia? Did one of the villains leave a clue about it or something?

Even as a long term Tomb Raider fan I enjoyed the reboot a lot. It was, however, missing a few things IMO. Perhaps they can be expanded upon or improved for the sequel.

New Game +
I would like to be able to replay the game (maybe at a higher difficulty) with my weapons fully upgraded from a previous playthrough.

Costumes
In the past Lara has always had a variety of different costumes by default, so it's pretty disappointing to see her wear the same one throughout the entire game.
On top of that it's insulting that the only alternative outfits are paid DLC, and even then you can't get a classic Lara skin. For the sequel I want loads of different outfits, and I'd like to be able to unlock them with the collectibles in-game, and/or via...

Time Trials
I'm less concerned about the absence of time trials, I just think long-term Tomb Raider fans would appreciate any extra challenge.

Consistent Voice Over
The new actress is alright. I associate her voice with the new Lara now, so I guess she's done a decent job. Although, at times it sounded like she's lived too long in America and couldn't quite remember what a British accent is supposed to sound like. There were a few times when it sounded like Lara was Welsh or something.

To me, Keeley Hawes will always be my favourite Lara.

Tombs
Having optional tombs isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means people who DON'T like puzzles can skip them and continue with the action, and those who DO like puzzles can explore the tombs and be challenged... The problem is the tombs were all too simplistic in the reboot, they need a harsh buff in difficulty for future entries.

Multiplayer
For the love of Christ sort that shit out. It's a clunky mess. Let me re-map your god-awful control scheme. Why the fuck should I have to HOLD DOWN L3 just to switch shoulders? Or give up my right analog stick so I can hold Circle to sprint? It's blatantly obvious you took inspiration from Uncharted 3's multiplayer, why the shit didn't you steal their control scheme too?

Multiplayer trophies
No, just no.

While I have gotten some enjoyment out of the mp, it's a shame to include so many silly trophies for it. It's much more satisfying playing a game because it's fun, rather than playing to satisfy mild trophy OCD. Similarly, shouldn't it be more satisfying from a developer point of view to know that people are playing your game because it's enjoyable, rather than making people feel obligated to get platinum?

Supporting Cast
I actually liked Jonah, Sam, Grim, and Roth. Alex was a punchable piece of shit, though. Generally I think Lara is at her best when she's solo. Keep the supporting cast down to a minimum.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with how the reboot turned out. I'm looking forward to the next adventure.

RagnarokX

I don't know, I thought some of the stuff was pretty fun to find. It was searching out everything that really brought the intricacy of the bigger levels into the light. And there are quite a few cleverly places nooks and crannies.

EDIT: I think I missed a piece of important info somehow. Why in the very final cutscene
does she appear to want to go to Croatia? Did one of the villains leave a clue about it or something?

It's not
Croatia, it's Croatoan, which is a reference to the lost English colony of Roanoke. She wants to go to North Carolina.

Top Bottom