• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think we can all agree that we can be excited on the next adventure of Lara with it being a next gen title and all that resources to make the game more grand in a much bigger scale and depth and just fix the flaws from this title, it can be something truly incredible.

KingKong

I think we can all agree that we can be excited on the next adventure of Lara with it being a next gen title and all that resources to make the game more grand in a much bigger scale and depth and just fix the flaws from this title, it can be something truly incredible.

Yeah all they need to do is fix the actual gameplay

.GqueB.

Banned
Finally finished this game and I pretty much loved it.

In the beginning, it spent so much pussy footing around itself that I thought I stopped liking videogames but once it opened up, I got sucked in. It was right around the time I got the shotgun actually.

I did kind of hate it at first for being so close to Uncharted that it almost didn't need to exist but in some cases, it does Uncharted better. The encounters are more fun, the melee combat is waaaaay better, the set pieces are exciting and you're actually able to play through them. I mean, I rolled my eyes a bit because of what this new gun user was able to accomplish but overall I was fine with it.

The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that the "game" was so far detached from the narrative. With every upgrade, it seems that she became more and more insane. For instance, a rather tame choke with the bow became a blow to the back of the head with a climbing tool. The first time I saw that I was a bit jarred. Nothing in the narrative implied that she would become so violent. It was rreeeaallly bizarre.

Also, needs more "Tomb Raiding" and less Uncharted type platforming. I hated the platforming in Uncharted because the world was setup just for him and his abilities which always struck me as weird. Underworld had this really great organic feel with the platforming in that it was easy to fail or get stuck.

Anyways, good game overall. Fun ride. Minor gripes.

I can honestly say that all the bad things I had said before release about this game was totally wrong. I am nearing the end of the game and thus far it spits GOTY potential. It truly is a gem of a game. So far from the beginning I was hooked. I am loving the game.

At the end where
you are shooting Mathias off the cliff. That was soo BA when Lara picked up that second pistol. Bawss!!

Overall, I wish there were more tomb raiding and more of a challenge and wish the game had more open worldness with more animals. But still, it was fun seeing this Lara slowly becoming the Lara we all know, I think this is a wonderful reboot!!

Is there anything different/special for getting 100%? Anything unlock or any extra story sequence or anything? Or am I fine just beating it at like 95% and not caring about the rest?

Skilletor

If you like easy traversal, lots of combat, lots of set pieces, shitty stories forced on you, brain dead AI, and no challenge in your games, yes, you can be excited.

Spazznid

If you like easy traversal, lots of combat, lots of set pieces, shitty stories forced on you, brain dead AI, and no challenge in your games, yes, you can be excited.

Why are you here? You sound like the spiteful angry Brother-in-law at a wedding.

I go into Disney Land and I'm all happy and blissful and you're in the front yelling, "Fuck happiness."

Regardless, I'm more than excited to see where this game will lead the series. I hope it's more exploration and thinking in the next game, but if the combat is as fun as in this one, then I don't mind if there's just as much of it.

I really wish they'd make an arena dlc.

Superflat

I'm positive on the game and while I don't think it's gonna be quite GOTY material, I'm really interested in the next game and what changes they'll bring. Hopefully better tombs, a more stable Lara, making more meaningful upgrade systems, etc.

Spazznid

How the heck can some of you guys actually think this game is GOTY material? I must know >.>

While I don't think this game is GoTY material in the slightest, it's definitely a great game in my book, as well as a wonderful surprise. But GoTY is something voted for by the consumers, is it not? Therefore, it's more about public opinion than actual integrity. I never put much actual importance on that title. It's a refreshing take on the series that opens doors to a lot of exciting possibilities.

Poona

It's been 17 years and the Tomb Raider franchise has changed so much but people will still misspell Lara's name.

Yep. :(

Saw someone complaining on the Tomb Raider Facebook saying on how they've played all the previous games, and they thought this wasn't enough like the previous ones. They seemed to try and be saying how knowledgable they were of the series, etc but that went out out the window as soon as they finally mentioned her name in the last sentence but said 'Laura'.

I don't get how her name can be so hard to grasp for some. It's plastered all over the games, in the game (spoken, thoughout some menus as well as subtitles) and on the boxes themselves. Maybe if you're somehow new to it, and somehow avoided one of the biggest iconic characters in games all these years, but how supposedly big fans can get her name wrong, I just don't get.

you sure you didn't mean mispronounce? :p
No, I mean misspell. I can actually accept people pronouncing her name "Laura" because you get to fudge about due to accents and whatnot. In fact, listen carefully and you'll hear Roth pronouncing it "Laura" in the game.

But when it comes down to spelling, there's no ifs and buts. It's "Lara", not "Laura".

Prine

Banned
this game is having the same effect on me as Arkham Asylum did, this is GOTY so far, I'm trembling thinking of her next adventure on PS4/720, not only will we get a sequel but the jump to next gen will increase the scope massively. Ahh man, just thinking of the lush jungles to explore holy shit.

Well done CD. You have my attention.

xenist

I am listening to all the talking video game journalists are doing about Tomb Raider and ludonarrative dissonance. I can only assume that games like STALKER, Metro 2033, Miasmata and Day Z must have been huge in these circles. Constantly played, suggested and showered with praise by the press. Oh, they weren't?

You know what? If you want this problem addressed instead of just talking about it whenever it conveniently comes up, here's a suggestion. Champion the games that try to do something about it. Because as long as games like STALKER are treated as merely footnotes of the genre, don't expect a big company to finance a Tomb Raider game with a hunger mechanic and persistent injuries. I'm sitting here listening to games journalists describing games like Miasmata, only third person, pretty much exactly when describing ways they feel the new Tomb Raider should have gone when I know damn well most of them don't even know the game exists. And when they do come up they're mostly relegated to joke status. "Oh, these wacky Russians."

I don't know. I just got bored of saying "Why haven't you ever talked about games that actually address your complaints?" to myself and thought I'd get it off my chest.

spekkeh

Banned
No, I mean misspell. I can actually accept people pronouncing her name "Laura" because you get to fudge about due to accents and whatnot. In fact, listen carefully and you'll hear Roth pronouncing it "Laura" in the game.

But when it comes down to spelling, there's no ifs and buts. It's "Lara", not "Laura".

Maybe it's cause I'm not a native speaker, and that in my vernacular we have very different pronounciations for a, ah, au, etc., but I found that all characters pronounced it Laura, which was kind of grating.

So, I've finished this game 5 times now.
7gBysRZ.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
How the heck can some of you guys actually think this game is GOTY material? I must know >.>

I just had a shit ton of fun with it which is more than I can say for most games. Once the game stopped pussy footing around itself it pretty much hooked me in. Yea the set pieces were over the top and I rolled my eyes a few times
We read stories about an entire squad being pushed back by the royal guard yet Lara kills like 50 of them in 5 minutes
but I couldn't shake the fact that I was having fun. I could be a typical gamer and over think it to death but I simply chose to enjoy it.

It's a fun game that's fun to play. It's really that simple. That's GOTY material to me because many games can't even achieve that basic task.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Really enjoyed the rock climbing mechanic. For some weird reason jumping from zip line to zip line reminded me of one of Bioshock Infinite's early gameplay trailers.

ThirtyDegrees

Neo Member
This game's version of Lara Croft might be the best female lead character I have ever played in a video game.

This is an industry with plenty of problems in how it depicts women, so perhaps that is faint praise, but I do think that this Lara is a great character.

However, the way that this game, and even uncharted, deals with its combat is starting to take me completely out of the story. It strains my suspension of disbelief when Lara is able to kill hundreds of bad guys. Not only that she's capable of it, but that she chooses to do so. Survival is one thing, mass murder is another. It's also jarring when Lara then shows vulnerability in the cut scenes when faced with armed attackers. After killing dozens of these goons, how does Lara manage to get captured by them? I've already escaped similar odds by simply massacring my way through it.

I get that it's a "game", but videogames in general need to grow and move past killing as the only way of interacting with a world, or interacting with antagonists.

It's juvenile, it's immature, and it harms the medium.

People have nominated worse games as goty material on here like the last two mass effects and MGS 4. Some people have no ability to see quality and critique games.
And some people continuously buy new games that they know they won't like just so they can tell everyone how bad they are constantly.

The dialogue wasn't great but the documents were well written imo

actually, had they gone solo lara (maybe via small plane crash), & simply replaced the companions/dialog with a few more documents ('the ill-fated research/film crew'), i think it would've been a very big improvement :) ...

And some people continuously buy new games that they know they won't like just so they can tell everyone how bad they are constantly.

exactly. because what 'having fun' means is, & always will be, completely subjective :) ...

Skilletor

Why are you here? You sound like the spiteful angry Brother-in-law at a wedding.

I go into Disney Land and I'm all happy and blissful and you're in the front yelling, "Fuck happiness."

Regardless, I'm more than excited to see where this game will lead the series. I hope it's more exploration and thinking in the next game, but if the combat is as fun as in this one, then I don't mind if there's just as much of it.

I really wish they'd make an arena dlc.

Because I liked previous Tomb Raider games, I've played through most of this, and I can say whatever I want so long as I'm not trolling? I'm glad you liked it. I don't. It's the internet. Both opinions can exist.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, but I enjoyed Jeff Foxworthy's Jalapeno Cheddar Grit Chips a lot more than I expected, too.

I can't see myself playing a sequel if it's essentially the same package as this. The plot was both functionally and effectively meaningless to the experience except as a vehicle to set the stage for the setpieces - a sequel with a different yet similarly awful plot but the same gameplay would, for all practical purposes, be the same game to me.

I would be on board if they completely re-evaluate combat (variety if nothing else, please), add some (any) skill based component to platforming, and have tombs with puzzles and exploration at their heart, rather than just mood lighting and pyromania.

Merguson

Banned
The collectibles in Tomb Raider feels like a blessing to me after Far Cry 3's collectibles.

Far Cry 3? It has 120 generic relics on the map. You get nothing for collecting all 120. You do get an achievement for collecting 60 relics however. So why the hell did they put in 60 extra ones? No idea. And some other collectibles that basically was nothing. Except for the Letters. That was okay.

Kammie

The dialogue wasn't great but the documents were well written imo
I disagree. The documents were the worst part of all the writing, especially when they try to get fancy with these cringe-inducing metaphors. And the ones of the Japanese generals trying to be theatrical with "we... we were all... wiped out..." just felt like they were written with the audiolog in mind (was I the only one that got the impression that the one reading them was some white guy in a booth, probably the studio janitor, doing a lousy stereotyped Japanese accent?). There was nothing natural or believable about them.

But it's Tomb Raider, so I don't really care either way. My main concern going in was how the ship would crash and suddenly Lara would be climbing and raiding tombs, but this was addressed by the training Roth had given her. The writing was at least an improvement over the previous installments.

Skilletor

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, but I enjoyed Jeff Foxworthy's Jalapeno Cheddar Grit Chips a lot more than I expected, too.

I can't see myself playing a sequel if it's essentially the same package as this. The plot was both functionally and effectively meaningless to the experience except as a vehicle to set the stage for the setpieces - a sequel with a different yet similarly awful plot but the same gameplay would, for all practical purposes, be the same game to me.

I would be on board if they completely re-evaluate combat (variety if nothing else, please), add some (any) skill based component to platforming, and have tombs with puzzles and exploration at their heart.

I genuinely enjoyed the middle portions of the game. But it was pretty much the same way I enjoy an Assassin's Creed game. Thoughtless free running, and this game, with its magnetic Lara is almost as easy, and looking at the pretty backgrounds.

But that's not what I want from Tomb Raider, or really any game unless I get it for 5-10 bucks (as I have every AC game save part 1, yay steam!).

I agree with you about re-evaluating the puzzles/platforming. But even if they do that, I won't buy it at launch. This series is now 75% off steam sale category.

I genuinely enjoyed the middle portions of the game. But it was pretty much the same way I enjoy an Assassin's Creed game. Thoughtless free running, and this game, with its magnetic Lara is almost as easy, and looking at the pretty backgrounds.

But that's not what I want from Tomb Raider, or really any game unless I get it for 5-10 bucks (as I have every AC game save part 1, yay steam!).

I agree with you about re-evaluating the puzzles/platforming. But even if they do that, I won't buy it at launch. This series is now 75% off steam sale category.

I'm gonna be pissed if action is taken next gen against rentals, because renting this game felt like the perfect way to appreciate it.

I would be on board if they completely re-evaluate combat (variety if nothing else, please), add some (any) skill based component to platforming, and have tombs with puzzles and exploration at their heart, rather than just mood lighting and pyromania.

same. they need to lose both the 'melodrama for the sake of melodrama' thing, & the 'lara as distressed damsel' thing', & revert to solo, sarcastic, bad-ass bitch lara. iow, full pulp, no 'touchie-feelie' crap. because, for whatever its faults, one thing the original trs (& the uncharted series) got right that tomb raider got wrong was 'if you're gonna go over the top, keep your tongue firmly in cheek at all times'. otherwise, as you say, you're left with nothing but a handful of setpieces...

iow: thanks, cd. now, bring back lara croft & tomb raider :) ...

The voice acting by Camilla is quite bad.

fixed. &, yeah, it was awful. as was mathias'...

Skilletor

I don't know if the voice acting was bad so much as the script. Mathias' lines were all lol worthy. Not sure anybody could've made that sound good.

I thought Lara was okay, and the rest of the cast was as throwaway as the gameplay. Completely unmemorable and expected.

Fabrik

Banned
So, I really loved it on my first playthrough (I gave it a 8/10).
But I tried to start a new game yesterday but it was a bit painful, because it's way too linear, there's no particularly new stuff to try to do differently. So I don't have much desire to continue as I feel I've seen everything there was to see.
That said I feel differently about Arkham Asylum which is also mostly linear, same for Portal 2 or Mario Galaxy. Why is that? Please help me understand!

same. they need to lose both the 'melodrama for the sake of melodrama' thing, & the 'lara as distressed damsel' thing', & revert to solo, sarcastic, bad-ass bitch lara. iow, full pulp, no 'touchie-feelie' crap. because, for whatever its faults, one thing the original trs (& the uncharted series) got right that tomb raider got wrong was 'if you're gonna go over the top, keep your tongue firmly in cheek at all times'. otherwise, as you say, you're left with nothing but a handful of setpieces...

iow: thanks, cd. now, bring back lara croft & tomb raider :) ...

What's been making me chuckle for weeks about this is how the original Tomb Raiders had a character whose oversexualized design seemed virtually indefensible 15 some odd years ago. Now she seems like some role model. I'm not sure how this works exactly.

Here, we've just swapped the "badass sexy" trope of the 90s for the more currently popular "PG-13 horror flick token brunette who survives while the stereotypes die" trope.

I can imagine a Xena reboot where the kitchy perfection of Lucy Lawless is replaced with Jennifer Lawrence covered in mud and blood, crying and apologizing while she pulls guys' hearts out through their mouths.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I bought this instead of MGR for Target's B2G1 sale (you can check that sale thread if you give a shit about my other picks) - basically because the gf wanted to play TR and didn't give a shit about MGR, and because MGR is already like $45 on Amazon. I fell asleep while she was playing it but what I saw looked really neat; she made it through the QTE stuff at the beginning and apparently got frustrated at some of the gunplay. I saw her hunting deer at one point - looked really cool, I think when I play the game I'll try and do a bow-only run.

I gather from this thread that people mostly like this game. That's comforting.

Three questions:
  • How long is it?
  • Does squeenix plan to increase its lifespan with post-launch DLC? edit: NOPE
  • Is it worth keeping after completing? (kind of a philosophical Q I know, but I'm interested in hearing what GAF has to say)

What's been making me chuckle for weeks about this is how the original Tomb Raiders had a character whose oversexualized design seemed virtually indefensible 15 some odd years ago. Now she seems like some role model. I'm not sure how this works exactly.

Here, we've just swapped the "badass sexy" trope of the 90s for the more currently popular "PG-13 horror flick token brunette who survives while the stereotypes die" trope.

I can imagine a Xena reboot where the kitchy perfection of Lucy Lawless is replaced with Jennifer Lawrence covered in mud and blood, crying and apologizing while she pulls guys' hearts out through their mouths.

She'll probably become more "badass sexy" in the sequel.

.GqueB.

Banned
Because I liked previous Tomb Raider games, I've played through most of this, and I can say whatever I want so long as I'm not trolling? I'm glad you liked it. I don't. It's the internet. Both opinions can exist.

But your opinion was presented in a condescending, shitty way. What did you expect the response to be? He was responding to your shitty ass attitude, not your opinion.

Skilletor

But your opinion was presented in a condescending, shitty way. What did you expect the response to be? He was responding to your shitty ass attitude, not your opinion.

It is the internet. I must meet my snark quota for the week or I get kicked out of the club.

Replaying the game right now, and it´s striking how much better the game is in the open levels/hubs, and how much the game is losing its quality in the linear uncharted like action parts.

For a sequel i really hope they ditch the linear uncharted like action parts, and focus solely on open and fun to explore levels.

.GqueB.

Banned
Replaying the game right now, and it´s striking how much better the game is in the open levels/hubs, and how much the game is losing its quality in the linear uncharted like action parts.

For a sequel i really hope they ditch the linear uncharted like action parts, and focus solely on open and fun to explore levels.

I found myself trying to hate those but actually loved them. I felt so cold and manipulated but I was smiling ear to ear.

Top Bottom