• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Lebron

Jtyettis said:
6 Epics so far since last night on the conveyer runs. The last one I got is a Rune worth a million bounty; Mastery: Champion Skill Tree +1.
Do you have some % Loot Drops or something?:lol

FrankT

Lebron said:
Do you have some % Loot Drops or something?:lol

Yea maxed at 15%. I actually had to spread that out on different armor pieces until last night when I got 1 Epic Rune with +15% loot drop chance on itself. :D

Alethea

Uh. You shouldn't be dying that much. I'm around level 40 with my Champion and die maybe once a level, if that. Second playthrough I didnt even die in acts 1 and 2. Early on the game is rough in some spots, but the game really picks up. Not sure you've completed it yet if you're actually dying that much still. The final dungeon, save for a certain boss was piss easy.

Are you juggling and getting your combo meters up? Shooting the explodey guys before they get to you?

I honestly want to know how someone playing a Champion can complain about the Valkyrie.

As I stated in the same post you quoted, yes, I have completed the game as Champion.

I dodgeroll/jump past the melee crowds and take out the ranged attackers first before finishing off the melees. I do some juggling, not a whole lot. I tend to alternate between weapons depending on the situation -- lobbing grenades to break up crowds a bit, using laser cannons on larger solo mini-bosses (e.g. those flying tubs of lard in the final dungeon), using blunt weapons against undead, using ranged attacks on kamikaze enemies, etc. I use Ruiners often and as appropriate. So, I have the strategies and controls down.

Honestly the only real deathfest for me was the final dungeon. I'm not sure why. I just kept getting overwhelmed. Also, I wasn't level 40, only upper 20s, so that was probably a factor.

The game is just so poorly made. Glitchy, awkward, laggy. I thought it would be decent in spite of the issues I noticed in the demo, but apparently not.

I had the same thoughts and questions. Also states he hates it yet is going to try another class... So... in other words its sorta hooked you in a way perhaps? If I hate a game, I drop it quicker then dollar bills at a stripclub.

Go go macho swagger.

As stated in my post, I'm reviewing it for the site where I work. I got the copy straight from MS's PR people. I'm obligated to finish it and post the review, and that includes giving the other classes a chance in case they offer redeeming value for the game.

Also, I'm not a guy. Note my username.

In before "lol there are no girls on the internet" and "girls can't play games."

Grecco

Alethea said:
That Valkyrie death cutscene is pretty awesome, but after seeing it every 10 seconds in the final dungeon, I truly loathe it.

I saw it 37 times in the last boss alone. Yeah it sucks.

Alethea said:
As stated in my post, I'm reviewing it for the site where I work. I got the copy straight from MS's PR people. I'm obligated to finish it and post the review, and that includes giving the other classes a chance in case they offer redeeming value for the game.

Also, I'm not a guy. Note my username.

Well hey thats a good enough reason to play the other classes then. At least your being thorough. Good job.

Sorry, I never know who is a guy or girl on here. I just know your a poster. :D

fin

Complaining about the death cinema is SO last week.

Just finished listening to the Giant Bomb podcast. They say some pretty funny things about Too Human and DD. Good episode.

Alethea said:
Honestly the only real deathfest for me was the final dungeon. I'm not sure why. I just kept getting overwhelmed. Also, I wasn't level 40, only upper 20s, so that was probably a factor.
Stay back and spam long distance fierce attacks until you thin the mob out a bit. That's what worked for me as a lvl 35ish Champion. I'd only get into trouble if I tried to wade into a large group.

Alethea

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well hey thats a good enough reason to play the other classes then. At least your being thorough. Good job.

Sorry, I never know who is a guy or girl on here. I just know your a poster. :D

Heh. No big, I just hate how people assume I'm a guy just because I play games.

And yeah, I try to be thorough with games like this. I feel like I owe it to the players and the developers alike.

Stay back and spam long distance fierce attacks until you thin the mob out a bit. That's what worked for me as a lvl 35ish Champion. I'd only get into trouble if I tried to wade into a large group.

Yeah, I did that a lot, only with ranged weapons. Too bad the game is a lousy shooter too. :lol

Alethea said:
Yeah, I did that a lot, only with ranged weapons. Too bad the game is a lousy shooter too. :lol
I put some more points into distance on my fierce attack and used that. It's a lot more damage and range plus it knocks down people that are trying to shoot you which takes some pressure off. It was much more effective for me than using my pistols.

Stantron

If you time it correctly, you can actually roll in-between a Troll's legs. After multiple attempts I was only able to do it twice so maybe there is a pattern that I haven't discovered yet.

Having a co-op buddy with Aggro definitely helps taking out Trolls too. They will basically ignore you, allowing you to easily flank and mount their backs.

Alethea said:

And yeah, I try to be thorough with games like this. I feel like I owe it to the players and the developers alike.

Have you put in any time with co-op yet either?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Game finally arrived(along with Circle of Doom). Gonna wrap up what I have left of Castle Crashers and get to looting.

Man I remember playing Circle of Doom. I had some good times with that game in co-op.

Glix said:
But you're dying every 10 seconds on the last level? That doesn't really add up...

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration you think?

I have my Champion up to level 43 now, and was replaying the Ice Forest last night, and ran into a string of deaths thanks to the fact that attrition had pulled my health way down, and I wasn't getting any health orb drops. Came across one of the Dark Elf/Drider things that was shooting it's bow at me, and was hitting me for more than 1400 points of damage with it's area attack when it slams on to the floor. I was already close to death anyway, and fighting it, along with three or four gobs, at the same time, and I was killed quite easily. Respawned, but had no major attacks at my disposal thanks to death and cool down periods, and trapped in a narrow corridor, there wasn't much I could do. Died six or eight times in a row trying to get past the Drider. Two hits from that floor slam took me out. I'm also pretty solid with the strategies and attacks, just circumstances worked against me.

just hit 50 and am now farming HoH over and over. Got the tier 3 charm that makes the pool of acid, now I just need to kill 80 leaders. Hopefully I can get some co-op in this weekend as well

mm04

If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. Different strokes and all. The game absolutely has faults. I guess your tolerance level over certain faulty aspects really is a personal thing. That seems to be one of the reasons why the game is so divisive.

As for me, obviously, I'm enjoying myself despite the problems. Don't get me wrong, there are moments when I despise some things, but my overall enjoyment level is pretty high right now and I just finished the World Serpent level.

What wasn't so awesome was beating the level late last night and then accidentally salvaging the plans for an orange shield/hammer combo that was just what I needed. That put a damper on an otherwise fun play session where I collected 4 orange armor plans. I refuse to buy from Tyr and the armor shop during my first play through. I find that less fun than getting a drop yourself. Now, come the second time through, I'll probably buy a few things if the opportunity arises. I did the same thing with WoW in the earlier levels as well. Just my personal preference.

akenatone

i have a level 46 champion, and i dont have a problem with dying anymore. i haven't seen the death animation in a few day. heck besides my first run through the second level where i died twice, and a crappy coop partner i had once. the game seems to be pretty easy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Alethea said:

The middle skill tree is good for helhiem. Its battle cry does wonders. Dying and losing your combo meter sometimes leaves yu with almost nothing to do.

Mifune

Mehmber
As much as I love this game (and I really do love it), its bugs are maddening.

It has gotten to the point where I avoid challenge rooms because I'm afraid I won't be able to exit if I die. One time I died and respawned inside the arena, continued the challenge, actually got the loot, and then couldn't exit. Had to go to Aesir and come back quite a long distance from where I left off.

UGH........

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Alethea said:

Correction: people assume you're a guy because you're on the Internet. =P

Xenon said:
I think there is a major difference in the reactions to this game from people who have to play the game and people who are just interested in it. He did say that he enjoyed the combat some times so maybe its growing on him. I wonder if he read all the combat tips & info in the weapon and armor shops. I had 20 hours in and didn't even know they were there. I even found a number of things about the gameplay, like the fact that the Troll's armor is more vulnerable to lasers.

You know, I think you're right. Most of these reviewers seem to play the game begrudgingly, which I suppose comes with the job of reviewing games all the time. Maybe people who bought the game are more forgiving of faults because they paid money, who knows.

Lebron

Jtyettis said:
Yea maxed at 15%. I actually had to spread that out on different armor pieces until last night when I got 1 Epic Rune with +15% loot drop chance on itself. :D
yeah, I just did the same. I need me some reds! I only got 2 so far.

also, trick those damn charms. They hate me, since I only seem to get level 1's. I give up :lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Level 42 Champion now. Good times.

I've put in over 50 hours in this game between my 5 characters and I just now realized how to use the runes and charms properly. I would have really liked to know these things 50 or so hours ago. The charms effects are incredible, they have made the game so much easier.

But seriously, did I miss some huge tutorials telling me about how to use the runes in the charms and then use level 1 charms in level 2 charms etc???

Truelize said:
But seriously, did I miss some huge tutorials telling me about how to use the runes in the charms and then use level 1 charms in level 2 charms etc???
There's info strewn through the game, but I don't know if it's centralized anywhere. There are info screens in Aesir and you receive brief explanation screens while you're playing towards the beginning. Would've been nice to have an on-the-go encyclopedia like Mass Effect, though.

Cornballer said:
There's info strewn through the game, but I don't know if it's centralized anywhere. There are info screens in Aesir and you receive brief explanation screens while you're playing towards the beginning. Would've been nice to have an on-the-go encyclopedia like Mass Effect, though.

Hey Cornballer. I still never see you online much, only for a few minutes and then bam gone. Been busy? I got my champion to level 47 now so I'm looking to get him to 50.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Hey Cornballer. I still never see you online much, only for a few minutes and then bam gone. Been busy? I got my champion to level 47 now so I'm looking to get him to 50.
Been Crashing Castles. ;) I might be on tonight, though I need to take care of a few things first.

Cornballer said:
Been Crashing Castles. ;) I might be on tonight, though I need to take care of a few things first.

Cool, perhaps we can get some Too Human going. Then Castle Crasher as well? :p

Between these two games, I'm like in hack and slash heaven!

Stantron

funkmastergeneral said:
just hit 50 and am now farming HoH over and over. Got the tier 3 charm that makes the pool of acid, now I just need to kill 80 leaders. Hopefully I can get some co-op in this weekend as well
That sounds like the same epic charm I have. It's pretty bad-ass. Once you get the pool to spawn it's like an auto death sentence for mobs that rush towards it.

I've also completed another one that makes enemies smolder, which drains their life over time. It doesn't have any nice special effect, but it is effective.

Philthy

Alethea said:
As I stated in the same post you quoted, yes, I have completed the game as Champion.

I do some juggling, not a whole lot.

Wait.. what? The juggling is the primary playstyle of the Champion. Everything should be up in the air as much as possible with this class. It's like playing a Sorcerer in Diablo and ignore the spells.

Alethea said:
The game is just so poorly made. Glitchy, awkward, laggy. I thought it would be decent in spite of the issues I noticed in the demo, but apparently not.

I've put over 35 hours into the game so far. Not a single glitch, no lag, no bugs, nothing. Are you sure it's not your 360 dying? Wait, well, I had one bug second playthrough with Grendel. I got stuck in his hands. Sorry.

I also clocked the Valkyrie scene in at 12 seconds.

Grecco

Philthy said:
Wait.. what? The juggling is the primary playstyle of the Champion. Everything should be up in the air as much as possible with this class. It's like playing a Sorcerer in Diablo and ignore the spells.

I've put over 35 hours into the game so far. Not a single glitch, no lag, no bugs, nothing. Are you sure it's not your 360 dying?

Your probably not looking well enough. Ive had a decent amount of glitches. Most notable was when i "Ghost rode" the spider.

Grecco said:
Your probably not looking well enough. Ive had a decent amount of glitches. Most notable was when i "Ghost rode" the spider.

I've seen a few glitches here and there but nothing that would ruin or make me call the game a glitch fest. Plus most of the glitches I've seen have been visual and really not affected my gameplay.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Philthy said:

How can some people clock the death sequence at 30 seconds and others at 12?? This makes no sense unless the game slows it down or speeds it up depending on how much it wants to piss you off :lol

.hacked

started playing last night with my bro, this game is much more fun coop.

img_2817212.jpg

here we are at the start of the 3rd area lvl 29 (red guy champion, blue guy berserker)

img_2830279.jpg

hit 32 by the end.

Fistwell said:
Yeah, same stuff here. Mid-40's berserker, armor around 1400, one hit takes out 2/3rds of my health.

Yep! At first I thought my armor must have been completely destroyed, but nothing was flashing red. Checked my condition and it was all fine. That bastard just deals out major damage, and it can be a bitch to take 'em down when you have other mobs on you.

Chrange

Banned
Grecco said:
I saw it 37 times in the last boss alone. Yeah it sucks.

How the hell can you die 37 times on the last boss? Doing the multiplayer layout solo, as a Commando, at level 50 I don't die more than ONCE in the entirety of Helheim. The last boss dies in under a minute.

fin

Philthy said:
I've put over 35 hours into the game so far. Not a single glitch, no lag, no bugs, nothing. Are you sure it's not your 360 dying? Wait, well, I had one bug second playthrough with Grendel. I got stuck in his hands. Sorry.

I had this glitch last night where I fell inside the level. I was still running around and at the right hieght so I was able to jump back out of it again, too funny. I've also had the glitch at the end of the level after fighting the last boss the door doesn't open for my coop dude.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
missing out on Too Human today. Internet was out most of the day so i just watched like half a season of Dexter lol.

soultron

Banned
Is the final game easier to read on SDTVs? I was giving the demo another go last night and I couldn't read anything. Now that I'm living in student housing, I don't have an HDTV. If I can't read loot specs, I don't think I'll be picking the game up.

Anyone?

Feint331

trying to level my commando to 50. his only 35. the gameplay is fun but theres not enough variations in the levels and they could have done so much more with it. still i enjoy it but don't think i can grind it up to 50 or try to farm for red drops :lol

commandos are awesome fun.. nade spamming ftw, might give the champion a go. overall i perfer human side better, cyber doesn't seem as nimble or quick.

VaLiancY

I got my first epic piece. I'm trying to look for the stats for the rest of the armor so I can slot it with runes appropriately.

Top Bottom