• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
so Viz announced they have the first arc of the Jojo manga now.

and that they have some more Jojo-related announcements for Anime Expo.

AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif

ckohler

Confirms it is replacing SBT.

I'll wager they put it after or before FMA so that the block ends on the more family friendly shows (Jack and Clone Wars). I wouldn't mind if they put Beware the Batshow at the end of the block with those as well, tbh.

daveo42

Banned
I'll wager they put it after or before FMA so that the block ends on the more family friendly shows (Jack and Clone Wars). I wouldn't mind if they put Beware the Batshow at the end of the block with those as well, tbh.

I second this. I don't want to see Jack slide down the block any farther than it already is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so Viz announced they have the first arc of the Jojo manga now.

and that they have some more Jojo-related announcements for Anime Expo.

AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
Holy crap, that's awesome. Seriously hope it does well enough for Part 2 & then Parts 4 and beyond.

Also wonder if it'll just be Part 3 anime or if we'll get lucky with Part 1 & 2 anime as well.

Impressions!?

What character did you use? How was the line? Did you take pics? How did it feel playing on the pro controller? How noticeable is the graphical upgrade from Brawl?

I NEED TO KNOW, BASS

I got to best buy about 30 minutes before 40 and my group was 92-94 in the line. By the time the event started there were over 300 people waiting. We were told we'd get two, 2 minute matches but due to the massive turn out (I believe I heard over 700 people had signed up when I left) they cut it down to just 1 match.

I waited a solid 90 minutes from when they began the event to play, I chose Greninja, my buddies chose Zero Suit Samus (he was impressed by her performance last night) and Little Mac (he loved Ike), random guy with us also played Little Mac. We randomly got Punch Out stage. Game was smooth as silk, really beautiful and a ton of fun to play. It felt a lot faster then Brawl but not as fast as Melee, my buddies who weren't the biggest Brawl fans enjoyed it a lot better then Brawl FWIW.

Greninja is a lot of fun, but the boxing arena stage plus two little macs did me no favors. His water shurikens are great but you don't have the time or space to fully charge one when mac is rushing you down. Greninja has a lot of great combo potential from what I could gather but had a hard time killing mostly because the Little Macs would usually fly from nowhere and steal my kills after I did all the work :'( . Stages that are flat and walk off like Coliseum and Punch Out arena Little Mac is going to be god like. I went even (1 kill 1 death) but my lack of killing power screwed me.

I had no problem playing with the pro controller outside of guarding/throwing, the trigger style of the back two buttons threw me off for the first minute but by the end it felt comfortable, not as good as a Classic Controller Pro or a Gamecube but perfectly functional. I didn't take any pictures but the line was INSANE when I left at 5:35ish the line outside was still wrapped around the building. We went to a sit down restaurant to see if killing time would give us another chance to play but even when we were done at 7ish the line was still to the corner where I started (from which it was a 90 minute way to play)!

Overall the reaction from everyone I talked to was incredibly positive, mixture of people who liked and disliked Brawl all thought the game was a blast to play, saw a lot of people buying MK8 WiiU bundles as I left (they gave out $30 dollar off coupons). While I've always been very good at Smash I'm not top tier tourney competitive guy so I can't comment on the games hardcore meta potential but despite having no idea how to play greninja I was able to pull off combos and follow up attacks way easier then I ever could in Brawl (I like Brawl for the record).

If you are a fan of Smash Bros you're going to love this game, the graphics are phenomenal and I just had a ton of fun playing it. If you have a chance to try it out Saturday go for it was totally worth the 2 hour wait I did.

Want me to show you big boy ;)

789shadow

Banned
The Best Buy I went to had a lot less people but they fucked up so hard. They had groups of 4 down for 5 minute segments, which would have had me waiting until 7:30. They should have just ran constant 2 minute matches and cycled people.

So I didn't get to play.

bigkrev

The Best Buy I went to had a full parking lot, and at least 300 people in line (I stopped counting 2/3rds through). I didn't stick around to wait.

Sounds like Little Mac is going to be spammed in for glory mode, do you think they should nerf him a little bit? The trade off of having a shit recovery doesn't seen like enough balance from what I'm gathering.

Levyne

Banned
S.T.E.A.M sounds like an absurd but great concept. A turn based strategy game by Intelligent Systems? Evocative of Valkyria Chronicles? With a design similar to western comic books. Lincoln?

Strategy games are some of my favorites, and this seems awesome.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
My mind is overloaded.
I do look forward to seeing Code Name STEAM tomorrow, it sounds awesome.

On the subject of Toonami
According to DeMarco, people are still upset that the airing of Cooler's Revenge used the Japanese music. Why even be upset at all? The Funimation soundtrack sucked balls.

We'll as I said in the announcement thread, I was all in with this new IP until I heard turn based. Instant turn off for me. I've never liked those kinds of games.

TheChits

S.T.E.A.M sounds like an absurd but great concept. A turn based strategy game by Intelligent Systems? Evocative of Valkyria Chronicles? With a design similar to western comic books. Lincoln?

Strategy games are some of my favorites, and this seems awesome.

I'm losing my mind at these name drops. This sounds like a dream game for me

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Being like VC is a mood killer. I'm just hoping those journalists have just never seen a proper turn based game or are talking purely ascetics.

Sounds like Little Mac is going to be spammed in for glory mode, do you think they should nerf him a little bit? The trade off of having a shit recovery doesn't seen like enough balance from what I'm gathering.

I think you'll see him spammed in For fun mode more, he's easily this games version of Ike. Amazing in 4 player FFA with items but probably easy to pick apart in a one on one match up. Even on mostly flat stages like Final Destination or Coliseum if you can knock him into the air and juggle him he's garbage. The one time I got a chance to knock a Mac player into the air and combo him he was a glorified sand bag until I mistimed and he got free.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Magic the gathering is basically TBS though.

Also regarding SMTxFE.

"No no no no no," Yamagami said. "We're right on schedule, but if I answer in any more detail I will lose my job so please have mercy on me."

I think you'll see him spammed in For fun mode more, he's easily this games version of Ike. Amazing in 4 player FFA with items but probably easy to pick apart in a one on one match up. Even on mostly flat stages like Final Destination or Coliseum if you can knock him into the air and juggle him he's garbage. The one time I got a chance to knock a Mac player into the air and combo him he was a glorified sand bag until I mistimed and he got free.

Ah, I forgot that Mac is pretty helpless in the air as well. Sounds like you had a great time! I read some store locations had employees walking around with the 3DS version of the game for people to try while waiting in line, did you get a chance to play that as well? I really want to know how the game feels on that hardware.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it's like Valkyria Chronicles, I'm in. Really need to work on VC2 more. So glad I got that for $10 on PSN & on my Vita. Now I just need to get a copy of the first game for cheap.

Any case, looking forward to seeing footage of S.T.E.A.M tomorrow. It sounds like something I might get into, especially if the gameplay is similar to VC, as I'm usually not into SRPGs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real difference that will make Mac a monster until people learn to cope is that unlike Ike his attacks do not have ridiculous start up time.

Ah, I forgot that Mac is pretty helpless in the air as well. Sounds like you had a great time! I read some store locations had employees walking around with the 3DS version of the game for people to try while waiting in line, did you get a chance to play that as well? I really want to know how the game feels on that hardware.

Yes they had it, no I got screwed out of playing it, they had planned to have it be inside for people to try as a way to keep people from crowding the screen, but when they realized just how big the line was they had the 3DS units go outside to entertain the people who still had a solid 60-120 minutes to wait before they could play. They made that shift right as it was my turn to go into the store >:[

The real difference that will make Mac a monster until people learn to cope is that unlike Ike his attacks do not have ridiculous start up time.

I think Little Mac will come down to a mixture of stage and if Mac get his opponents on the ground. A stage like big blue Mac would be complete garbage due to that stage 90% taking place in the air while jumping.

On more grounded stages like battlefield it'll come down to how good Mac's ability is to get people on the ground with him. His side b in the air still seems pretty decent and it looks like it knocks the opponents down. I believe Sakurai stated either his side a or down a in the air was also a spike which could be useful for knocking characters who like to make the game air based come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom