• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykoTech

Welcome to a new age of shonen anime enjoy

I feel like such an idiot for sitting on this series for so long. It's like a mix of pre-timeskip Naruto and One Piece. But it's nice to have a lot of episodes piled up.

Gonna try to slow things down though. If I blow through HxH too quickly, I'll have nothing to keep my mind off other stuff again. But I just couldn't help myself today. This (arc name spoiler)
Yorknew City arc
has been crazy good so far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've played FF5 like 50x including multiple solo runs so that's all old news lol but thanks. As you said all thieves < all white mages early on though wm have to grind a bit more until they get protect

Meh, both have to grind and WM's are frankly better at it. Thieves want daggers. WM want levels. A full party of either can beat the crab even at level 5 so all you need to do is get to the graveyard...where the WM's can kill entire enemy parties in 2-3 castings in a place with two free heals including one near the save point.

Thieves meanwhile have to take 4 times as long to grind out those levels and they suck nearly as badly on doing damage to Galura as the WM's do even though they can probably risk attacking two at a time from the back row. Thieves suck. Since I don't speed run anymore and hate to run in general I don't get any joy from that. Still a fun class though with great passives, I love 4x dash in the GBA version, I LOVE never being back attacked and I love stealing goofy shit like the Gaia Hammer from Titan. They are a joy to have with a Berserker (though so is a WM, Berserkers love WM even in natural runs!)

EDIT: I don't like the term overrated/underrated much myself Seda, which is why I save them for special occasions such as Persona 3/4. I know why people like them and I ain't hating on waifu sims, loving HM games myself partially for that reason. I'm hating on them because people overlook their tremendous flaws compared to other games in the franchise when it comes to dungeoneering and difficulty.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like such an idiot for sitting on this series for so long. It's like a mix of pre-timeskip Naruto and One Piece. But it's nice to have a lot of episodes piled up.

Gonna try to slow things down though. If I blow through HxH too quickly, I'll have nothing to keep my mind off other stuff again. But I just couldn't help myself today. This (arc name spoiler)
Yorknew City arc
has been crazy good so far.

That's not even the best arc. Welcome to the pain of Togashi's release schedule, you don't know the pain yet but you will.

So in order to take my mind off Titan and One Piece (subbed) so I don't skip ahead or spoil myself, I've finally started Hunter x Hunter. Been putting it off forever, but some hype that was floating around here compelled me to finally give it a serious shot. That and the fact that I don't think it'll get on Tonnami anytime soon. I started off slow, but picked up the pace a bit once things started getting more interesting.

Probably watched 5 episodes today though. Maybe one or two more. I think the last one I watched was Episode 47 or something.

Holy shit.
Started to watch Hunter x Hunter.
The last episode I saw was Gon vs Hisoka..
Schwing!

Raxus

I was giving you the business as they say, there's nothing amazing like in Galaxy or Galaxy 2 for doing it all.

I in fact need to do it, one day plug in four controllers and bubble my way through the bulk of the game. I'll do the two hard levels legit.

100 hours in and I cleared the single player of MH3U.

I know but it still saddens me that 4-5 of the stamps are out of my reach.

Moaradin

Schwing!

That fight was pretty amazing

Only 2 mores episodes left in the current arc! Crazy that I started watching HxH weekly at around episode 80 when this arc was beginning and that was like a year ago!

Seda

EDIT: I don't like the term overrated/underrated much myself Seda, which is why I save them for special occasions such as Persona 3/4. I know why people like them and I ain't hating on waifu sims, loving HM games myself partially for that reason. I'm hating on them because people overlook their tremendous flaws compared to other games in the franchise when it comes to dungeoneering and difficulty.

Yeah don't worry, it's not like I'm going to get bent out of shape over semantics. Sometimes saying overrated is a quick way to get a point across. You find more - or are more put off with - flaws you see than others seem to be.

(The word just feels a bit too authoritative. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but the implication feels to me "a lot of people really like this but it's actually overrated! Those people's opinions are wrong." I guess this ties into my spat with bigkrev in that 'overrated' seems to imply some objective level/measurement of quality. I'd prefer just disagreeing by stating my own opinion rather than saying "<this> is overrated")

Persona 3 and 4 especially are really darn simple. FES the Answer had some nifty boss encounters though. Helps that the default difficulty there is basically 'hard' mode.

SykoTech

Schwing!

That was good.
I thought Heaven's Arena was a bit of a letdown as it's mostly just a training arc. But that fight sorta made up for it.

Anyways, you're very close to where things really get good. Keep watching.

That's not even the best arc. Welcome to the pain of Togashi's release schedule, you don't know the pain yet but you will.

Yeah, swung into the OT for a second, and apparently the series has earned the nickname Hiatus x Hiatus. Heh. All the more reason to slow down my pace a bit. Will try to stick with one episode a day. Two tops.

Raxus

That was good.
I thought Heaven's Arena was a bit of a letdown as it's mostly just a training arc. But that fight sorta made up for it.

Heaven's Arena is the most training of a training arc but most arcs from here on out have some training involved in them but I doubt it is as boring as HA.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That was good.

Anyways, you're very close to where things really get good. Keep watching.

Yeah, swung into the OT for a second, and apparently the series has earned the nickname Hiatus x Hiatus. Heh. All the more reason to slow down my pace a bit. Will try to stick with one episode a day. Two tops.

It won't matter, the Hiatuses happen with the manga. When the anime catches up all they'll be able to do is take a break and wait for Togashi to finish up the new arc. Which probably won't be for a few years if the last arc was anything to go by.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't like the words overrated/underrated but I don't fully understand why the Persona 3/4's following is so large in comparison to other titles. Probably because the game is partially a waifu simulator......*sigh*

I have P1 and P2's on my Vita. Now that I'm done with Wild ARMs, those are the next games on the backlog. Already got a bunch of tips for P1 to start. I know several people well who hate it and two people who love it, so....yeah

p1 sucks :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ugh the sync problem is still happening

Okay so you know in the first Bleach opening when the music kicks in as the sun flares in the very beginning? in the Hulu streams that doesn't happen until a second and a half later when it's already been on that screen with Ichigo and the letters for a moment. And it stays screwed up like that the whole episode. Annoying as fuck.

Happens both on PC and on the stream on my Blu-Ray player as well, so I'm fucking stumped

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't mind a Persona 3DS that combined FES and Portable as its a damn shame that the superior Female MC is saddled with an inferior version of the game.

Persona Q is going to do very well in Japan and they'd be foolish to not try and captialize on it with a quick port of something else. 3 is a game that is in need of a definitive version like Golden and the word play is too good to pass up.

Not Toonami-related but...

Game of Thrones Season 4 Finale

robryanfuckyeahfuckface.gif

I loved Persona 3 and Persona 4 so I decided to go and give the first one a chance. I really liked it but I can see why others may not, especially coming from 3 and 4. The random encounters can get pretty tedious and its pretty bullshit how you have two separate levels just to take one Personas. It got to the point where I would have guys like Reiji cast pointless buffs on the party just to level up his Persona level to equip Mot, even though his actual level already met the requirement. I really hope the second game gets rid of that when I start it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The thing is I love hardcore old school dungeon crawlers with a cool story so you'd think P1 would be right up my alley. It isn't. It's got design issue after design issue and ends up being more slog than fun. It's amazing that this was the same time period that produced Soul Hackers and both P2 games, which really had it going on.

Seda

The thing is I love hardcore old school dungeon crawlers with a cool story so you'd think P1 would be right up my alley. It isn't. It's got design issue after design issue and ends up being more slog than fun. It's amazing that this was the same time period that produced Soul Hackers and both P2 games, which really had it going on.

I haven't played all too many dungeon crawlers, but Soul Hackers I liked a lot, as well as Strange Journey. Soul Hackers probably has one of my favorite SMT narratives, and a very stylish setting and mood. Strange Journey was solid all around, and demon fusion is as addicting as ever. Really liked some of the later game bosses (Captain Jack was enjoyably difficult).

Recently played Demon Gaze.....even without the stupid fanservice, I didn't care for it much. I feel that it got stale pretty quickly.

Haven't played Etrian Odyssey titles, Persona Q will probably be my transition to that style, haha. They aren't high on my to-play list truthfully.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SJ is basically SMT 4 with EO style dungeons, so you've already played a stealth transition game...

Strange Journey is so good and if you like the maps in that game you'll probably really enjoy what Atlus brings to the table with EO/Persona Q.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
6 good episodes of Bleach, an E3 that blew my mind, the start of another Fiesta season, late spring just keeps delivering.

Soulflarz

Banned
I've heard several opinions on it, but ultimately I want to play it so I can form my own.

Oh, and congrats on the apartment, Shadow. Meant to say that earlier.

Heads up. I have an unfair stance due to my playthrough. I accidentally had half my party fine and half was terrible due to 2 members dying at a boss where i got a lot of EXP...twice. Therefore it was an awkward and unenjoyably hard yet easy playthrough that shouldnt be in games. Two could do a ton, but two got poked and died.

Black Lagoon Trivia Time: The gun that the girl uses is called the Browning Automatic Rifle better known as the BAR. It was the weapon of choice for Bonnie, of Bonnie And Clyde fame, who weighed in at on 90 lbs. and 4'11.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 11

Right, after the viewing of this episode I can safely say whomever though having the first 8 or so episode be about Sailor Moon as a single should be flogged, those episodes sucked this is where the legend really begins. Seriously, like everything has improved 100 percent with the arrival of Rei and Ami and this show is not actually good and watchable and entertaining. This episode highlights one the most famous/infamous dynamics of the Inner Scouts; the great Rei and Usagi rivalry. Indeed the rivalry is fierce, maybe a little too fierce upon reflection. Mind you I think the dynamic works well, though its consistences can get a little tiring at times. Anyway, my point is Rei and Usagi in a different show would be full on rivals, like some point Rei would have a heel turn just because she is that much of a rival. Thankfully this isn't Naruto and so that line is never crossed. The main plot is nothing special, another Jadeite dartboard special, though with some subtle tweaks in the fact that he is actually targeting the scouts. Anyway, this episode gets high recommendation with the caveat of warning that the rivalry may not be your brand of tea.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 12

So we hit the penultimate episode of the Jadeite Arc and indeed one thing I really liked about this episode was the the monster of the week, Tetiz, was actually important to the overarching story.
Instead of being one of Jadeite's useless minions, Tetiz, is a direct servant of Queen Beryl who actually has her own ambitions namely claim Jadeite as a lover and her downfall is the facilitator to the final confrontation that will transpire next week.
Anyway, outside of that, this episode was just odd mainly because Sailor Moon really never did with a couple of exceptions know what to do with romantic entanglements. Also, this is one of those shows that wants me to believe that somebody like Rei would have a hard time getting a date. Indeed if this were a more modern series Ami and Rei probably would have had a romantic type date. That is more a critique on the magical girl status then anything else. Anyway, once again high recommendation to watch this one.

bigkrev

I don't like the words overrated/underrated but I don't fully understand why the Persona 3/4's following is so large in comparison to other titles. Probably because the game is partially a waifu simulator......*sigh*

I have P1 and P2's on my Vita. Now that I'm done with Wild ARMs, those are the next games on the backlog. Already got a bunch of tips for P1 to start. I know several people well who hate it and two people who love it, so....yeah

It's not that it's a waifu simulator, it's that people secretly want visual novel/social simulation elements in every game but refuse to admit it and would never buy a game that is just based around that.

Raxus

I find it kind of funny so many people in this thread now have tags. It is silly.

To be honest I am surprised Bass hasn't gotten a tag yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Before I signed up and my account was verified, I thought tags were customized by the user themselves. Wasn't until I noticed the option wasn't available that I realized they had to be earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom