• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
i0ssJqCI1loiv.png

LOL

Saving this.

daveo42

Banned
Maybe in part 2 of the series but right now recaps only last 60-90 seconds at max

Recaps aren't all that bad unless you are marathoning anyway. A weekly recap is much better than having to sit through a ton of filler in the middle of an arc that almost kills your show (Bleach).

Recaps do get a little longer as this arc progresses, and again way later in the series (several times) but it's not a bad trade off.

Loco4Coco

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.211 million viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.136 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.119 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 791,000 viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.6 HH, 838,000 viewers
2:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 799,000 viewers
2:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 722,000 viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 607,000 viewers
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 537,000 viewers
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.4 HH, 572,000 viewers
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 585,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 610,000 viewers
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 576,000 viewers

One Piece wow beaten by both Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater

I don't understand why OP is not popular in the states. People Actually sat through Bleach and Shippuden but skipped the best episode of OP shown so far on Toonami?!

Got my OP 6th Voyage DVD
Ready for that Blackbeard vs Ace.

Mik317

I don't understand why OP is not popular in the states. People Actually sat through Bleach and Shippuden but skipped the best episode of OP shown so far on Toonami?!

Got my OP 6th Voyage DVD

Mine came too

Lack of self control ftw

Got my OP 6th Voyage DVD

4kids dubbed mixed with more cartoony visuals gave a lot of people the wrong impression. We have people in this thread who've said they can't get into OP because of its art style

MikeMyers

Yet they can sit through Shippuden, which throws the casual viewer into a sudden timeskip after the Chuunin Exams in the original show.

Urgh, that really annoys me too. It reminds me of how I saw DBZ before I saw DB, and all the emotional impacts of the death in the Saiyan arc meant nothing

Watching the Saiyan Arc death's if you started with DB:
1.) Yamcha chooses to fight the Saibaman instead of Krillin because he had a bad feeling about the fight, and it's proven right when it turns out the Saibaman had a kamikaze attack which shocked all the Z Fighters. Krillin then avenges the death of the guy whose been the big brother figure to him since they trained under Master Roshi together.
2.) Tenshinhan and Chaotzu both die trying to save each other from Nappa. Guys who were once meant to be cold-blooded assassins ended up assassinated themselves in order to protect someone.
3.) Piccolo, who was the reincarnation of the demon king, has grown emotional attachment to a child and dies saving him.

Now watching the Saiyan Arc, if you just start with Z and have no real context:
1.) Goku-look a like shows up and dies against fodder character
2.) Two random butt buddies pointlessly die. Who were they again?
3.) Piccolo dies for Gohan? Ok well he's been with him the whole series makes sense.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That reminds me, a new YGO abridged was released yesterday, for the first time in forever.
I was actually just thinking yesterday "Man, how long ago was the last episode of Yu-Gi-Oh abridged?" & then later that day, saw it in my subscriptions.

...now to wait 5 months for the next episode.

bigkrev

Now watching the Saiyan Arc, if you just start with Z and have no real context:
1.) Goku-look a like shows up and dies against fodder character
2.) Two random butt buddies pointlessly die. Who were they again?
3.) Piccolo dies for Gohan? Ok well he's been with him the whole series makes sense.

To be fair, I think that stuff actually helped DBZ in America when it started. It was frenetic and didn't make a ton of sense, but that made you want to keep watching. It was a very 90s kind of thing, and hey, it was the 90s, so it worked! The same was true of Wrestling in the that time period as well- people started watching without any real knowledge base, and who cares about the history of this, I just want to see something crazy and dumb!

And the people who ate up DBZ (generally in the 8-14 year old range) at the time were still young enough that anytime something didn't make sense, they just dismissed it/didn't notice it. Now that I'm older, when things don't make sense, I notice and get annoyed. But when your a kid, if you actually notice something that doesn't make sense, you just chalk it up to your own inadequate knowledge!

MikeMyers

The same was true of Wrestling in the that time period as well

That reminds me, I actually thought it was a wrestling cartoon when I first saw it. Mainly because there was some big bald dude with an undefeated streak, and spent my many years assuming Nappa was a nickname for Bill Goldberg.

bigkrev

That reminds me, I actually thought it was a wrestling cartoon when I first saw it. Mainly because there was some big bald dude with an undefeated streak, and spent my many years assuming Nappa was a nickname for Bill Goldberg.

Great now I'm giggling at the thought of Jewish Nappa

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SHOCKING news indeed. What is Break Blade?

Break Blade is pretty sweet is what it is. The 6 movie series was quite excellent, 12 year old with giant tits notwithstanding.

I think the TV anime is a new adaptation.

(The series is released here in the US as Broken Blade, I believe.)

daveo42

Banned
SHOCKING news indeed. What is Break Blade?

I'm aware of it never watched the show. Reading the basic summary on wiki seems like it could be really really good, though it's broken into 6 50min movies. It'll end up being 12 episodes long but might end up having some weird breaks if they plan on following the 30min schedule. Something else would have to drop at the same time or Toonami would need to start earlier to fit each episode in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Blade

Edit: You're right about the adaptation Metatron. I.G. and Xebec doing it

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, so it's sort of a cut up version of the movies with some bonus scenes added in? That's...interesting.

A total do-over probably would have been better since the manga is still ongoing, so there's obviously plenty that the movie series didn't cover.

MikeMyers

It was also forever ago that the series was actually good.

That might be inherit to the actual show itself. I tried to rewatch it and didn't like nearly as much as I did as a kid. The characters and artwork are fair game, but it's the way duels are executed in the series that ruined it for me. Its easy for a character to pull a trump card out of their ass ay any point, so there's never any real tension for me. Sigh, it is what it is I suppose.

I do own the Season 0 manga though, those were certainly interesting!

I like the first season of yugioh at least that was hilarious ridiculous ass pulls and dues ex machinas and not just actual rules and card game based ones

Toon world was hilarious.
Oh man, that was SO dumb, "you can't hit these cards and they will have powers as the plot demands" .

Speaking of the moon being destroyed I now remember how the moon got destroyed like twice in dragon ball/DBZ and the consequences are obviously never even thought about , and gohan and vegeta had Saiyan tails that randomly went away between Saiyan and namek arc (it can be argued gohan had his surgically removed while in the hospital, but vegeta had no explanation, also really who are we kidding?)

Cwarrior

If I had to take a guess perhaps as OP gets deeper and deeper into a serious story arc that assumes you've watched the past canon serious arcs when it comes to robin (and somewhat usopp) in particular those people who didn't watch/read the 200 episodes toonami skipped are finding themselves lost/confused and are giving up. Davy back despite being really goofy was easy for a first time watcher to pick up and enjoy without any prior knowledge.

Bingo! you can count on BassForever to get it.

I said this would happen back when toonami decided to start One piece 207 episodes in, I said once it gets back to it's plot heavy overarching story in water 7 that builds on previous story events and also containing plot events in the arc that require the audience to be already invested in the crew through there prior journeys for the ussop,robin & merry story events.

As you said the goofy Mario party like games of the davy back fight arc was easy for first time watchers to pick up but anyone who's starting water 7 with no prior knowledge is going to be confused/lost.

This is like bring game of thrones over to the uk but starting at Season 3, all your achieving is ruining it for potential viewers.

Toonami have themselves to blame for these ratings, they should stop treating it like dragon ball z cause it's not, the only way to begin such a story like one piece is the beginning not the middle.

Watch how Toonami sabotages Hunter x hunter as well when it finally comes over by starting in the middle of the chimera ant arc
only joking whoever has the license bought it to make sure it never comes over

daveo42

Banned
Wasn't Dandy confirmed for 26 eps like forever ago?

I thought so too, though it is nice to get confirmation that we are getting the 2nd half of the show later this year. I think the original deal was 13 until Funi stepped in and we got the additional episodes. The big news is Break Blade being brought in to cover in Dandy's absence.

Seda

Wasn't Dandy confirmed for 26 eps like forever ago?

Toonami said it, then retracted the statement, then said it wasn't set in stone, people assumed it was likely 26 eps with a split season, now it's finally officially official I guess.

well it says they are getting break blade to cover the time between seasons, I think thats an indicator of them wanting to keep the slot long term, but idk . I mean if they just needed to stall until season 2 they could have just reran it and put bleach or something at front. I'm just assuming.

+1

Aren't reruns in Japan almost unheard of outside of a select few shows? I could totally be mistaken.

No its rare, its why a lot of people were wondering if Soul Eater was going to get a final act/brotherhood when it reran with new openings/endings, and we got Not :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"Mix It, Stretch It, Boil It Up! Burn, Copper Pot, Burn!"

FqdkhpVl.jpg

Naruto and Choji are heading to the Ramen stand. Naruto hasn't had any in awhile because of all the missions and Choji remarks on how post mission Ramen is the best, "Spreading it's Noodley goodness throughout your body!" Ramen. RAMEN. RAMEN! What, Closed for the day? Naruto is shaken. His dreams are dead. Choji can smell ramen though, there is ramen afoot!

pYMXH12l.jpg

Naruto and Choji infiltrate the ramen shop. Choji's nose tells no lies, that soup is new brother. He's training a new item. Old man figures out they are there and throws his dough stirring stick at them, hitting both and dropping them to the floor. Naruto immediately recovers and orders one miso pork ramen topped with an egg. Old man Ramen apologizes for braining them and compliments them on the effort they took just to get ramen. Naruto thinks it is cool that he wants to expand the menu but do it after hours, Choji agrees. The old man sighs and hands them the new product. Naruto tries to dig right into the good stuff but Choji like any good foodie wants him to show some damn respect and try out the broth first.

Ublscgyl.jpg

It's good! Second step is mix the noodles and the broth together. Something is wrong, it's missing something. Choji declares the party over, the noodles are outclassed by the new soup! Old man is shook. Choji lays it down; the soup is next gen but the noodles are sub 720p 30 frames per second. It just doesn't fit. The old man knew this was coming. Naruto asks for more water from Ayame...who isn't there. "With ramen this bad I'll never win Ayame back from the Ryonin" and Teuchi collapses! what is going on here?

W2LxiPSl.jpg

They bring him to his room and get Sakura involved. He's just collapsed from fatigue. She prescribes bed rest and some supplements. Th boys are relieved but she wants him to take a few days off from the shop. His arms are swollen. Naruto brings up the bit about Ayame and Sakura brings up that Ayame is his daughter but has no clue what the Ryonin is. Naruto doesn't know either but Choji does. They are the ninja chef! What has he heard about them? Rumors and dark whispers mainly. He explains the whole Ninja food problem; Food Pills are nutritious but taste awful. What if they tasted great? To solve that problem a new role in ninja society was developed, the ninja chef. Naruto still doesn't get what this has to do with Ayame until the old man speaks up out of nowhere. They kidnapped her. All three of them are shook. It all started two weeks ago in a FLASHBACK.

xQ70mKNl.jpg

Three mysterious travelers are here for some Ramen. One of them compliments him on an excellent job as always...It's Hakkaku! They apprenticed under the same Ramen Master long ago before he became a shop owner and Hakkaku a ninja chef. He wants the phantom recipe. Teuchi doesn't know what he's talking about but Hakkaku thinks he is bluffing. He comes back early one morning to find Ayame isn't there...and a picture of her tied up is under a tray. Those ninja chef bastards! If he wants her back he needs to hand over the phantom recipe? Sakura asks him why he didn't go for the Hokage. He didn't want his daughter to get hurt if he did. Also in the note there was a second option, make Ramen so delicious that he'll just give her back and use that instead. Sakura asks if he's got anything that good and Teuchi doesn't know. That's why he was working on the new recipe. He got the soup just right but the noodles can't make that next level. He's only got one day left until the cooking challenge is over. What is he going to do? Naruto can't imagine a world without Ayame in it so he is going to help make noodles. Choji and Sakura agree.

yBcjPnrl.jpg

Crash course on noodle making. Mix well, knead it to show who is boss and start pulling it! His technique is sublime. Telling someone how is easy, but it takes five years to do it right the old man muses to himself. Maybe Hakkaku will trade Ayame for him. Naruto is psychic when it comes to script development and wonders if that internal monologue was him thinking about ways to get his daughter back after they fail. Teiuchi lies. Naruto and the rest believe in not negotiating with terrorists. Choji believes that cooking from the heart will overcome years of technique. They are jerking off those noodles.

VAtYXbvl.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon arrives and they meet at the secluded location. Hakkaku wonders if he has the recipe. He's got his whole kitchen on his back so he is going with plan b. Hakkaku thinks he is a fool. Gonna need something stronger than that hum drum Ramen he served yesterday. He asks where Ayame is and she calls out, but Hakkaku throws knives at his feet to stop him getting any closer. He asks to use assistants and Hakkaku thinks they will be more trouble than they are worth but he allows it. Begin the cooking challenge! A few dozen ninja chef appear! Can he please the pallets of those who cook from the shadows? Teuchi has the soup on lock down and will handle the other ingredients but the noodles are up to them! Sakura gives them a pep talk; Ayame's life is in their hands and they better not fuck up. Hakkaku loves the smell of the soup but is worried about the noodles. Amateurs manhandling that dough. They practiced all night says Sakura but the noodles weren't anything to write home about says Choji. Naruto wants them to be the best but then spills over a container of liquid and the ninja chef laugh. Gotta go fast and smooth.

UUGNckvl.jpg

Look it's Kakashi-Sensei!

cO2rQCw.gif

The ninja chef laugh. Naruto's hands are giant red and swollen hulk hands. Sakura is too strong. Naruto has an idea as Teuchi pours out the last of the ingredients. Choji is going to start mixing but Naruto wants to step in. All of them are shinobi and all have special techniques which can be applied to cooking...ninja style. Shadow Clone Jutsu. He's gonna mix that dough with Rasengan...Ichiraku style! Choji and Sakura are LEGIT SHOOK. Mixing ingredients with chakra, it will be mixed down to the celluar level. He calls out for Sakura.

yN3cFer.gif

Using her Hulk strength when angry to get the most perfect firmness ever seen. She breaks through the rock Naruto placed them on and he jumps up to catch the bag. Choji is up next and doesn't need any explanation, he's a shinobi from the Leaf Village. Partial Expansion Jutsu, both hands. He is going long on this one.

hFWN2Sql.jpg

Oh, oh my. Those noodles are so perfectly stretched they Armstrong glitter. Truly peerless noodles, if they are matched with that soup...the Ninja chef will lose today. Hakkaku isn't done yet and asks a simple question, "Who will you serve first?" Naruto doesn't get it but Teuchi knows a bit about Ninja Chef bullshit and is worried. The first guest to arrive gets served first. No matter how delicious this perfect Ramen is he will be disqualified if he goes against tradition. Choji understands for he would raise a stink if any line cutter went ahead of him. There are 100 ninja chefs that all arrived at about the same time, so the four of them would have to swerve everyone at once. Oh no. There's no possible way around this! Naruto, smug as he'll ever be, mentions they are ninja. Shadow clones. Victory lap music. Him serving everyone as Teuchi times him on every step. They are shook. Taste is the key here is the only thing he has left to fall back on.

JltrGCxl.jpg

Even then his evil ways are no match for pure flavor. The other ninja chefs are entranced. They won! The truth is the ninja chef are in a serious bind, they want delicious food that's healthy and portable. They flew too high on the flavor train and there food was too good, turning the ninja who ate it fat, breaking tree limbs and unable to complete missions. They're worried about job security. They wanted the phantom meal so they could reach the height of flavor without making the ninja fat. They hear it's called "the scum recipe" and the ninja have no idea. They sent out their scouts and heard he had mentioned it but the old man has no idea.

o7bZfNSl.jpg

Until he thinks about it a moment. He might actually know it. The kids are shook. His informant misheard though, it's "the skim recipe" as our friend the comedy crow flies by. The trick he uses to skim the soup. He called it the scum recipe once by accident. Naruto thinks that's a dumb punch line "if his tongue had slipped any worse it would have fallen out" and Choji agrees. Sakura, right to the point as always, mentions that a deal is a deal. Where is she?

HnDqsCWl.jpg

Damn! The evil of the Ninja Chef's knows no bounds. They weren't bragging when they said they could cook. She might have had seconds a few times and doesn't notice the weight gain. Teuchi is crying buckets. The three head back into town sometime later. They have a new item menu at Ichiraku. Is it the new god ramen asks Choji? Nope, it's a Diet Ramen that is...

1F5LJw9l.jpg

Real Popular with the girls. They skip the line and head right in. Ayame is back to normal. They ask where Teuchi is and he ate the Diet Ramen himself to be supportive...and is emaciated. Yes, Naruto, there is such a thing as being too thin.

NEXT EPISODE: "Remembrance: The Lost Page"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom