• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've always wanted to see Sam 7, so this will be cool. Maybe it'll feel kinda like when Moribito was on AS; I quite enjoyed that show, personally.

I watched a few eps of Speed Grapher; while I was intrigued with it's start, I felt like it was trying way too hard to be edgy and disgusting as it went on... "Lookit, even MORE adults that have absolutely NO MORALS! Everyone is 100% impervious to the powers of PERVERSION!"... it got aggrivating, really. I'd watch it if it came to Toonami, but wouldn't be too hype for it...

Really impressed they're carrying on with a new show so quickly, by the way. No 2nd stint for Deadman, eh? GO BUY THE DVDs, lol.

Seda

DeMarco is answering a bunch of questions on Twitter:

@Clarknova1 Why Samurai 7?
@Vexx102 Because it's great. Why not?

@Clarknova1 Is FLCL still going to be on the schedule in a few weeks?
@rsant0121 Don't think so.

@Clarknova1 Will Casshern be re-run after it ends, or will we get a new anime to fill the time slot?
@DXFan619 We are going to try not to re-run stuff when we don't have to.

@Clarknova1 My main question is: have the Toonami Faithful come through for you guys in terms of ratings? And has the show been growing?
@Kitai105 We've been solid overall. A little better than AS Saturday nights used to do. We're not going anywhere for a while.
@Clarknova1 Any chance #toonami could get the 9PM-12AM slots if ratings stay stable/improve? Current timeslot cuts into sleep real bad.
@xbsaint Highly doubtful.

@Clarknova1 #Toonami - So since your bringing back Samurai 7 will you be bringing back other old animes and why replace Deadman with that.
@TheTakanaBros We didn't want reruns, and Samurai 7 is a great show we've never aired.

@Clarknova1 Is Cowboy Bebop rerunning again after it finishes its current run?
@Soulful_Chris Likely, yes.
@Clarknova1 Any chance Toonami would should none action anime's like Clannad & K-On? Only half serious about this one.
@TheRealJpoe08 Nope.

@Clarknova1 Any chance of Thundercats moving to #Toonami?
@Lycan_XIII We are looking at ALL possibilities.

@Clarknova1 could it be possible to aquire a few more anime like samurai 7? it would make a huge difference to toonami
@VirgoShaka7 We're doing everything we can.

@Clarknova1 What factors do you consider when making new acquisitions like Deadman Wonderland or Samurai 7? #toonami
@yuusharo Is it a good fit? Is it available? Have we run it before? Will it need an insane amount of edits? How much $$ does it cost?

@Clarknova1 Does Neon Alley mean we are less likely to see more of Viz's anime on Toonami?
@2D2Will Not particularly, no.
@Clarknova1 ...are we growing or has the ratings hurt our cause?
@Beatles12345 Growing just a bit.

@Clarknova1 Are there any shows, or anything that you would like to see personally on #Toonami?
@AxMan3315 There are MANY shows I'd like to see on Toonami, both American and Japanese. Too many to list!

@Clarknova1 Will we see more series that have already been released on DVD in future? (like Samurai 7)
@Paradox295 Toonami has always done that. and always will. We are mostly concerned with GOOD before NEW.

@Clarknova1 Okay since your bringing back Samurai 7 will you be bringing back any others or just that one for this year only
@TheTakanaBros We are certainly planning on more stuff coming this year if at all possible.

@Clarknova1 Why have you not aired (Insert Show I like) on your channel!
@ZachDood Because we can't please everyone all the time, and Toonami is not a time machine! hahaha
@Clarknova1 Oh, also will we see a new intro for the block soon?
@Soulful_Chris Not likely.

@Clarknova1 Well it has been everywhere and it has been out for years. A person could easily watch it on Netflix.
@Vexx102 The same could be said for almost any anime and definitely anything on Adult Swim. We can't compete with web availability.
@Clarknova1 Ok, is it safe to say you guys are playing a little 'safe' in the #toonami line up selection? Too safe= lower ratings...
@RenaChaos I don't think that's true at all.

@Clarknova1 If Stand Alone Complex reruns its first season, are you gonna alter TOM's dialogue to have him not say "2nd Gig"?
@ToonamiFan587 Ha! Yes we need to fix that!

@Clarknova1 I love it. Next question: Since Deadman Wonderland & Casshern Sins are coming to an end soon, will it be repeating episodes?
@Kitai105 We are trying not to repeat shows where possible.
@Clarknova1 How did you find the new voice over announcer Howard Parker? Will we be hearing him promote Samurai 7 soon? :) #toonami
@yuusharo We've worked with Howard for years (see the Big O Season 2 promos for example). You'll hear him promote it soon!

@Clarknova1 Any chance for Durarara!! or Big O to make return?
@Soulful_Chris Eventually, probably. But not in the near future.

@Clarknova1 Have you been thinking of using some of the classic logos from time to time?
@skysamfreeman Probably not. We want to move forward. we may though, you never know!

@Clarknova1 What's the chance on stuff already aired on Toonami/AS before like Trigun or Outlaw Star?
@Paradox295 Those shows are unlikely, although I'd love to see Outlaw Star on again!

@Clarknova1 Think we"ll get a wallpaper for that "Toonami'sBack" TOM image on the main website?
@Preble1 Working on it!

@Clarknova1 is SARA coming back?
@MrLiveTweets We hope to bring her back some day, but it won't happen for a while, if at all!

@Clarknova1 you say you are trying not to repeat shows when possible, could that apply to gits or cb?
@VirgoShaka7 WHERE POSSIBLE= when we can afford it. We own GITS and Bebop will not leave our air any time soon.

@Clarknova1 Will Toonami's block remain 12-3 with new episodes and then reruns for at least the next month?
@rsant0121 Yes.

@Clarknova1 Last from me! Why keep GitS SAC? Ratings?
@Soulful_Chris We own it, we love it. It may rest at some point though.

there's more

Seda

@Clarknova1 Can you encourage showing fan stuff during toonami's timeslot. I'd love to do a fan animation for you guys ^_^
@Vinnyboiler That's pretty hard in this day and age. We're trying to think of ways to do that though, promise!

@Clarknova1 Any chance for movie nights? Like Bleach 3 or FMA Sacred Star of Milos?
@Defguru7777 We may do that but for now it's not worth the $$$ for one night of content.

@Clarknova1 when bleach is over with (which will be awhile) will it get a rerun?
@LinkofSeasons too soon to tell.

@Clarknova1 So ever thinking about bringing old shows from the weekday and saturday line up from the 90s like S-cry-ed or Yu Yu Hakusho...
@TheTakanaBros Something we're considering, of course.

@Clarknova1 Any chance Gundam might return? BEI USA closing, it might be harder to get, but I'd love to see Toonami & Gundam back together
@xbsaint So would I. Gundam is not something we can get right now though.

@Clarknova1 Oh man, will there be a Bleach promo? I know a lot of new viewers don't give care about it, but with it going back to canon..?
@Soulful_Chris We're working on that.

@Clarknova1 any chances of a non-anime series coming to #Toonami in the future?
@VSigma100 Chances? Yes. I want to have some non-anime on so if we can make that happen we will.

@Clarknova1 Are we good or not good? (sorry for that vague question)
@WOLFXSKY Hmmm... we're "good."

@Clarknova1 Do you plan on licensing any more long running shonen series for Toonami, like bleach.
@JohnLowin Of course we are hoping to to do that, yes. We'll see.

@Clarknova1 ok also if we miss watching #Toonami live, does watching it on dvr and adult swim gold also count for ratings?
@SCStank94 That all counts, yes.

@Clarknova1 I do not know if you have answered this yet, but the way Toonami's ratings are are you concerned that it could be canceled?
@Nick174647 I'm ALWAYS concerned. But we're good for a while, unless things get markedly worse.

@Clarknova1 Any chance of doing music videos again?
@LinkofSeasons You mean like a night of them? Probably not.

@Clarknova1 Samurai 7 is a bit older. Will you guys be pursuing older shows for the time being? Also, will it be in HD?
@jeargumedo It'll be HD. And mostly older shows, yes.

@Clarknova1 Is Toonami doing well enough to get more shows in the future or is it too soon to tell? #toonami
@trekkieb47 Too soon to tell.
@Clarknova1 Any chance of something like Naruto Shippuden or Fairy Tale ever being on Toonami?
@CraZZyGunner256 EVER? Yes. SOON? No.
@Clarknova1 Can we always trust the Adult Swim schedule like that one time it saiD FLCL will be on this saturday.
@48john No, you can't. We change our minds sometimes.

@Clarknova1 Batman vs Superman. Who wins? Go!
@IamCodySilfies Always Batman.

@Clarknova1 Also, will #DeadmanWonderland get a second run? It seems to be off the schedule.
@jeargumedo Probably not.

@Clarknova1 did the Previous AS ratings just carry over when it became Toonami, or did they improve at all?
@TalynLikesToys They improved a bit.

Pardon the flood and perhaps weird format, it's not cake to paste these convos

LOL no.

You must be pretty bitter about the anime thread to keep making up stuff about me.

I'm pretty sure you said you only watched a few minutes of Speed Grapher. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, it is true you judge things you know very little about or based on scenes that are taken completely out of context. I'm not the only one that thinks this.

As for the hating fun stuff, well that's just based on the fact it seems that anything with an unrestrained out there story is "dumb" to you. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't need to respond to people with the same gif over and over again when someone likes something you don't. That's why firehawk and a few other animegaffers had/have you on ignore.

@Clarknova1 Any chance of Thundercats moving to #Toonami?
@Lycan_XIII We are looking at ALL possibilities.
like the reply, not a fan of the show. And I loved the old Thundercats in the 80s.
@Clarknova1 any chances of a non-anime series coming to #Toonami in the future?
@VSigma100 Chances? Yes. I want to have some non-anime on so if we can make that happen we will.
Excuse me for a second...

tumblr_m1wdd9suGc1qjyax2o1_400.gif

Cranzor

As much as I love Cowboy Bebop, I'd prefer if it didn't restart and something new came in. But I understand why they're not going to take it off.

Branduil

I'm pretty sure you said you only watched a few minutes of Speed Grapher. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I watched until whatever episode had the Amazing Grace scene. The show was awful.

Also, if I didn't like unrestrained shows I wouldn't like Glass Fleet, the most unrestrained show of all time.

@Clarknova1 ok also if we miss watching #Toonami live, does watching it on dvr and adult swim gold also count for ratings?
@SCStank94 That all counts, yes.

This is REALLY good news for me. I'm afraid to say it, but my sister and I just couldn't get into the new Toonami lineup. We just don't have the stomach for DW, and I have Casshern Sins on Bluray and Bebop on DVD. We catch a little bit of Bebop and 2nd Gig just for kicks and we'd probably watch 2nd Gig if we caught it from the beginning. But to us, it just seemed like Toonami's pushing for Edginess with their new shows over Fun like the initial April Lineup. So because we just get home from work before Toonami starts we usually spend the time watching current shows. If S7 is more light hearted Shonen fare, we'll probably tune in.

But I still have my PVR record the WHOLE BLOCK because I like to make my own copies of the promos. It's REALLY nice to know it still benefits for them.

No Thundercats please.

Old or new? After really enjoying the new series, I kinda wanna watch the old series now. I LOVED it as a kid, hated it when I was older in High School, but now want give it a fair shot (as I was pretty cynical when it came to animation as a teen)

Trigun is one of three anime series, along with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop, that were hyped to the moon by my friends and other people I trust. I then watched them and found out that they were pretty terrible. It's the main reason why I don't trust anybody who hypes anything.

squidyj

Trigun is one of three anime series, along with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop, that were hyped to the moon by my friends and other people I trust. I then watched them and found out that they were pretty terrible. It's the main reason why I don't trust anybody who hypes anything.

Wait. Cowboy Bebop is pretty terrible? Trigun is one thing but this... wow man.

Raxus

Never liked it. Never saw the appeal. Gave it many chances. Not for me.

Looks like we have no choice but to make you shiny shiny watch it

iMd9QdtXtARYQ.png

I kid, I kid. Shame you never got into it seeing as Beebop is a large reason I got into Adult Swim's Anime Block in the first place

Hero

Trigun is mediocre as is Outlaw Star. They should be so lucky to even be aired on the same network as Cowboy Bebop.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I just finished Casshern Sins

holy fuck...

i'm so numb, but everything hurts

the next woman that i love will have all of me.

Kusagari

Samurai 7 really sucks.

Not surprising that he completely shot down the chances of something like K-On airing. But I wish someone had asked him directly about Madoka.

B.K.

@Clarknova1 Also, will #DeadmanWonderland get a second run? It seems to be off the schedule.
@jeargumedo Probably not.

I wonder why they aren't going to run it again? Were its ratings that bad? I wish they'd take off Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell and rerun Deadman Wonderland. Those two have had enough screen time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's fricking awesome to hear about the ratings. I was worried they'd be the same or lower, but slightly higher is a good sign, especially if they've stabilized since the first night. Hopefully, things can only go up from here! As long as they keep putting out new shows and content (reviews, music vids, etc.) then I think we'll be fine.

Drago

I wonder why they aren't going to run it again? Were its ratings that bad? I wish they'd take off Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell and rerun Deadman Wonderland. Those two have had enough screen time.
I just want one more run of Bebop, just for my needs ;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

No, actually, Deadman Wonderland's ratings were fantastic for the block, second only to Bleach. I think the strategy is more, since they're on a budget, to cycle things in and out cheaply and quickly. It's probably cheaper to just buy one run through and then replace it with something else.

The last hour is probably going to be pretty permanent for a long time. Maybe they might swap in Big O or FLCL at some point, but probably no sooner than Bebop completes another run after this one at the earliest. FMA could conceivably be swapped out, though that's still a long way off.

Tonight on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 265 - Evolution?! The Menace of the Final Sword Beast
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 11 - Gig of Despair
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 11 - By One's Calling

1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 42 - Signs of a Counteroffensive
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 1 - SECTION 9
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 25 - The Real Folk Blues (Part 1)

What's up Toonami Faithful, time for more posts. If you're new to the thread, welcome. If you've been postin' from the beginning, all I can say is " GAF. " Time to settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom