• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far the ratings that Saturday [adult swim] usually shows air by now. I see nothing unless they're going to show then between 12:56 and 1.

TOONAMI (May 27th)
Bleach 1,060,000 (12 AM)
Deadman Wonderland 860,000 (12:30 AM)
Casshern Sins 796,000 (1 AM)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 699,000 (1:30 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG 698,000 (2 AM)
Cowboy Bebop 669,000 (2:30 AM)

Bleach 580,000 (3 AM)
Deadman Wonderland 557,000 (3:30 AM)
Casshern Sins 488,000 (4 AM)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 473,000 (4:30 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG 450,000 (5 AM)
Cowboy Bebop 419,000 (5:30 AM)

[adult swim] (May 20th)
Bleach 1,079,000 (12 AM)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 800,000 (12:30 AM)
Durarara!! 743,000 (1 AM)
Kekkaishi 755,000 (1:30 AM)
Fooly Cooly 724,000 (2 AM)
Cowboy Bebop 646,000 (2:30 AM)
Big O 628,000 (3 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG 643,000 (3:30 AM)

Bleach 806,000 (4 AM)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 740,000 (4:30 AM)
Durarara!! 778,000 (5 AM)
InuYasha 748,000 (5:30 AM)

These differ from the normal ratings [adult swim] posts, and I guess they're not showing TOONAMI ratings... ugh.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Judging by those numbers, they should probably revamp the lineup asap. Probably be a good idea to not rerun Cowboy Bebop and Stand Alone Complex a second time, and insert Durarara! and Inyuyasha back in there.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
As long as it goes for 10 more weeks so I can see Deadman Wonderland.

8Pxcp.gif

vazel

Banned
Looking at that lineup I'd almost prefer the Adult Swim block back since it has no reruns. Just stick Deadman and Casshern in there.

As much as I was thrilled to see Toonami come back it feels like a shadow of its old self. It just isn't the same without all the custom Toonami intros and promos.

Jintor

Endless cycle. They don't get the money to do promos and animations, so no viewers come, so they don't get any money. Gonna be awesome. Plus they're never going to get back to the afternoon slots which was the real cash king.

I'm gonna enjoy this ride while it lasts, I guess.

Can someone expllain to me what the deal is with toonami?
I remember it from 12 years ago when i had cable tv.

Is it just a lineup of really popular shows?

I can't understand this view.
The only episodes out of the first thirteen I consider to be good are three and seven. Coincidentally enough, both of those are not heavy on the fighting. The good action usually doesn't make up for the crap scripts, at least for me.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The only episodes out of the first thirteen I consider to be good are three and seven.
Like, I don't understand how you can only like a few episodes. Disliking the whole series I can understand.

But most of the series is pretty... same-y. That's it's main problem.

vazel

Banned
Can someone expllain to me what the deal is with toonami?
I remember it from 12 years ago when i had cable tv.

Is it just a lineup of really popular shows?
Back then most of us didn't have an easy means of watching anime so Toonami was the best source for that.

What really made the block so special was the host Tom and all the custom promos and intros. Sometimes there were special events. It really gave Toonami character and is why many of us remember it so fondly.

Toonami sometimes took an active financial role in the shows they aired. It was because of Toonami that Big O got a second season and Reboot got a fourth season. They made sure Tenchi had as low censorship as possible; so instead of removing scenes where there were naked women they digitally added bikinis which was a costly endeavor.

Like, I don't understand how you can only like a few episodes. Disliking the whole series I can understand.

But most of the series is pretty... same-y. That's it's main problem.
I like more than those two episodes, they are just the two I consider to be legitimately good. I'm enjoying it more often than not. Maybe I'm being too hard on it. *shrug*

Jintor

I suspect licencing. I'm wondering why Funimation isn't continuing to advertise DVD/Blu Ray sales on Toonami, with special animation and Tom V/O.

/edit I just saw an trailer for English dubbed Panty and Stocking. It looks pretty much built for Adult Swim Toonami.

Anything directed by Imaishi is perfectly-fit for Toonami. Gurren-Lagann and Panty/Stocking are two ridiculous shows meant to be shown on the channel, but I don't know how much they'd have to pay for the licensing.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Anything directed by Imaishi is perfectly-fit for Toonami. Gurren-Lagann and Panty/Stocking are two ridiculous shows meant to be shown on the channel, but I don't know how much they'd have to pay for the licensing.

I can see "Who the hell do you think we are?!" in the promos =3

Sub or dub? I didn't like the dub, but the sub was fine. Never finished the series, though—come to think of it, I haven't been too active with my anime-watching for a long time anyhow.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hmm, I wonder if Gurren Lagann is affordable? I wouldn't imagine it cost that much, you know? SyFy had the rights to it, but they killed their anime block almost a year ago and don't seem to have any intention of bringing "Ani-Monday" back.

I've tried watching Deadman Wonderland, even skipped ahead of the current airings via Funimation's youtube channel. I just don't see how everyone is getting so much enjoyment out of it. It seems so cheaply produced, both the writing and the animation are terrible. Or maybe I'm just getting more cynical of programming as I get older.

I'm not going to concern myself too much with ratings. The world in 2012 is different than the one in 1997, or even in 2005. Anything we want to watch can be watched on-demand, commercial-free, and on any screen we want wirelessly. If ratings are the only way Toonami can exist, it was fucked before it started. Toonami right now is basically two new shows - and both of them are anime. For us to get back what it used to be, it needs a better mix of shows, and it needs for at least one or two of them to not be anime.

...and it needs motherfucking TTGL.

Adult Swim's trying to be as cheap as possible with this new block, and I don't think they've ever cared for it enough to give it the down payment necessary for long-term success.

I'm not going to concern myself too much with ratings. The world in 2012 is different than the one in 1997, or even in 2005. Anything we want to watch can be watched on-demand, commercial-free, and on any screen we want wirelessly. If ratings are the only way Toonami can exist, it was fucked before it started. Toonami right now is basically two new shows - and both of them are anime. For us to get back what it used to be, it needs a better mix of shows, and it needs for at least one or two of them to not be anime.
YES.
...and it needs motherfucking TTGL.
... no.

Ezalc

The only episodes out of the first thirteen I consider to be good are three and seven. Coincidentally enough, both of those are not heavy on the fighting. The good action usually doesn't make up for the crap scripts, at least for me.

You seriously don't consider 8 good? You have no soul.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's not good. That's definitely not good. It's impressive how much smaller the catalog is for Toonami than it was for the old block. Wonder what happened!

Those ratings are fine. Memorial Day Weekend is always one of the absolute worst weekends of the year for Adult Swim, year in and year out (really only Christmas and New Years tend to do worse if they happen to fall on weekends), so that the ratings were basically the same as the previous non-holiday week is a win for them.

The following weeks are going to be much much more telling.

Also, those numbers are total viewership. Adult Swim doesn't really give a shit about total viewership. They care about adults 18-49 (and really especially 18-34) first and foremost. So they don't really give a clear picture of what Adult Swim is actually looking for from their ratings.

Those ratings are fine. Memorial Day Weekend is always one of the absolute worst weekends of the year for Adult Swim, year in and year out (really only Christmas and New Years tend to do worse if they happen to fall on weekends), so that the ratings were basically the same as the previous non-holiday week is a win for them.

The following weeks are going to be much much more telling.

Also, those numbers are total viewership. Adult Swim doesn't really give a shit about total viewership. They care about adults 18-49 (and really especially 18-34) first and foremost. So they don't really give a clear picture of what Adult Swim is actually looking for from their ratings.
Yes and no. The 1st week ratings should be taken somewhat with a grain of salt, but you'd hope for a bigger audience considering the huge Twitter campaign, the old-school TOONAMI fans, and the huge contingent of [adult swim] fans. Also I'm trying to find the non-total viewership numbers, which is what I've judged the shows by for seemingly 10 years. Still no luck.

BTW guys...

Guy: Solomon's Cane.... What happen to the activation test of the holy relic that we handed over?

Weird Chick: As reported the activation test of the perfect holy relic shows a significant level of phonic gain. It can be that so easy.

Guy: Black Art... Unveiling the banished prehistoric civilization technology and definitely making it our own.

Weird Chick: So it's give or take. I appreciate for the support from your country. I will require your success on documenting it too.

Guy: So you absolutely have the mind to use me. If that's the case let's see your action that matches this deal.

Weird Chick: Of course I understand. As there is a saying the more you do so the dog is longer to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom