• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Your Toonami schedule for next week:

12:00 - Bleach - 258 - Stray Snake, Tortured Monkey
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 4 - Crow Claw
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 4 - The Angel of Ruin
1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 35 - The Shape of This Country
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 20 - FABRICATE FOG
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 18 - Speak Like a Child

I'll just leave these here

deadman2p6.jpg

deadman3p4.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
June 2nd ratings according to Toonzone.

Bleach 1,274,000 Up 214,000(20% increase) 0.9 rating up 0.2
Deadman Wonderland 1,107,000 Up 247,000(23% increase) 0.8 rating up 0.2
Cashern Sins 938,000 Up 142,000(18% increase) .7 rating up 0.1
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 861,000 Up 162,000(23% increase) 0.6 rating up 0.1
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 836,000 Up 138,000(20% increase) 0.6 rating no rating gain
Cowboy Bebop 857,000 up 188,000(28% increase) 0.6 rating up 0.1

It went up! Nice.

Mature

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 861,000 Up 162,000(23% increase) 0.6 rating up 0.1
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 836,000 Up 138,000(20% increase) 0.6 rating no rating gain

It went up! Nice.
Are the percentages the increase from the previous week?

It went up! Nice.

That's good to see. I had thought that maybe the first night would be the peak and then people would lose interest, so I'm glad that they seem to be actually building up interest.

That's good to see. I had thought that maybe the first night would be the peak and then people would lose interest, so I'm glad that they seem to be actually building up interest.

First episodes are usually among the lowest rated as there's no word of mouth yet. Though I don't know if that applies to entire blocks and we are talking about shows that have been available in English in some shape or form for years now (well, 1 year in the case of DMW).

First night was Memorial Day and a big sports night, numbers had to go up.

I've said all the time the numbers for Week 4-5 will be the true evaluation of Toonami. We really haven't seen anything reminiscent of the Old Toonami, if anything we've got Toonami 2007, which I'm not sure people wanted. :p

Mature

First night was Memorial Day and a big sports night, numbers had to go up.

I've said all the time the numbers for Week 4-5 will be the true evaluation of Toonami. We really haven't seen anything reminiscent of the Old Toonami, if anything we've got Toonami 2007, which I'm not sure people wanted. :p
I don't think it's 2003's Toonami and I don't think it's 2007's Toonami, as DeMarco put it, it's today's Toonami. And while it remains a work in progress, the promos they've laid out so far have made me hopeful. We've only got two new shows, but they're both getting a pretty good reception and this is only the beginning.

I was living perfectly-fine without the old Toonami. The fact that I'm getting this because of the continued popularity and underdog nature of this new Toonami block is a bonus. And I think we should be thankful that Adult Swim's finally injected some vitality into their anime block.

I don't think it's 2003's Toonami and I don't think it's 2007's Toonami, as DeMarco put it, it's today's Toonami. And while it remains a work in progress, the promos they've laid out so far have made me hopeful. We've only got two new shows, but they're both getting a pretty good reception and this is only the beginning.
What he really said: We recycling everything from 2005 and calling it today's Toonami.

You could air this Saturday at 7 PM like they did back in the day and the only difference is Casshern and Deadman Wonderland are better than Gundam Seed and D.I.C.E. You have you shounen show in Bleach (Naruto back then), they only difference is the lack of American properties, which they definitely could use in my opinion. But hey, they living a week at a time trying to get funding and shit. Maybe they find a sleeper hit with Casshern. Maybe [as] pulls a Big O and funds the completion of Deadman Wonderland (and make it more like the effing manga, dammit). At least we know Inuyasha: The Final Act is on the way amd that's definitely a long series.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, Last Act is coming to AS/Toonami? Coolio. Been meaning to check it out on Hulu but I'll just wait now.

Wait, Last Act is coming to AS/Toonami? Coolio. Been meaning to check it out on Hulu but I'll just wait now.
Well I should say it's not definite, but for all intensive purposes it's the #1 show that's rumored to be grabbed by [as] this year. They literally used its popularity to blow up back in the day, and it makes sense as an new (Read: NEW) acquisition.

Actually when you think about it [adult swim] could acquire that show and air it at 11/11:30 easily. Inuyasha used to air before 12 all the time. They definitely have the money.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
At least we know Inuyasha: The Final Act is on the way amd that's definitely a long series.

Final Act is only 26 episodes.

Also, I'm not really willing to assume anything when it comes to something Viz is releasing. It certainly is the most obvious choice, though.

Final Act is only 26 episodes.

Also, I'm not really willing to assume anything when it comes to something Viz is releasing. It certainly is the most obvious choice, though.
... wtf?

Oh god Toonami (or [adult swim]) should start airing InuYasha 2x a Saturday just to prep people. 26 eps? goddamn.

Jintor

If they could get a new Sarah character, they could skimp out on the animation by making her EDI Mark I. That was awesome.

This was posted in the anime thread. Looks like they're polling people to see what they think about Toonami, including what they'd like to see, both new and returning shows. Of the new ones, the choices are:

Fairy Tail
Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt
Tiger & Bunny
Inuyasha: The Final Act
Reborn!

I picked PSG and T&G. I'm thinking the latter has the most potential to be a runaway hit, something Toonami really needs.

Makoto

I suggested Gunslinger Girl, Birdy The Mighty and Baccano.

Despite it being a legitimately fantastic show, Gunslinger Girl would probably be the most difficult to get people to watch considering its namesake.

The problem is they need a NEW show. I know the market for FUNimation Channel is small, but a few of the shows I'd heard have had multiple runs on FUNi and/or have been streaming on Hulu for years. For the record, I would LOVE to see retreads like Claymore, Baccano, Birdy The Mighty: Decode, or Basilisk air on Toonami. It fits the demographic, they're all violent/explicit shows (BTM: D and Baccano have comedic moments though), and they're not boring talker shows. But if you can get a completely new property THAT FITS, you gotta do it.
Dragon Ball Z
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo
One Piece
Naruto
If they are really serious about going full Toonami nostalgia, you bring back Outlaw Star (between 2001-2004 was one of the most requested anime on Toonami), a Gundam series (not necessarily Gundam Wing), and try to look for something else. You really only have a few slots for the older shows, you gotta concentrate on new properties.

Basilisk would be interesting. Already saw it on IFC but I'm sure people would enjoy it on Toonami

What they should show on Toonami: Speed Grapher lol

The censoring would be ridiculous

I suggested they pick up Trava: Fist Planet, another anime from Takeshi Koike and Katsuhito Ishii. Very fast-paced and short, but I bet it'd be easy to license and would work with the audience that the new Toonami's beholden to.

Basilisk would be interesting. Already saw it on IFC but I'm sure people would enjoy it on Toonami

What they should show on Toonami: Speed Grapher lol

The censoring would be ridiculous
[adult swim] actually gave props to IFC, they tried to get that in 2008(?) but they were outbid. They praised IFC for leaving the show virtually uncut.

I would lose my shit if they aired Speed Grapher. For that matter, I forgot to mention Witchblade, it's too bad they can't go after that.

Toonami needs something they themselves can market and profit off of to an American audience. Music CDs, action figures... anything to push the Toonami brand. And that's what we're really talking about here, they need to get back the swagger that the viewer is watching something awesome. It's not just the shows that made Toonami this mythical block back in the day, it's the presentation around said shows.

Raxus

I would love to see the original Gundam in it's entirety since they pulled it after 9/11.

Tiger and Bunny has to happen in some way shape or form. The anime is built for an American audience.

I think Baccano! (while fantastic) already aired on Syfy, dunno if they still have the rights.

Jintor

[adult swim] actually gave props to IFC, they tried to get that in 2008(?) but they were outbid. They praised IFC for leaving the show virtually uncut.

I would lose my shit if they aired Speed Grapher. For that matter, I forgot to mention Witchblade, it's too bad they can't go after that.

Toonami needs something they themselves can market and profit off of to an American audience. Music CDs, action figures... anything to push the Toonami brand. And that's what we're really talking about here, they need to get back the swagger that the viewer is watching something awesome. It's not just the shows that made Toonami this mythical block back in the day, it's the presentation around said shows.

Marketing juggernauts? Let's get moe on this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom