• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

I suggested Is This a Zombie? <3
Panty and Stocking
High School of The Dead (This one is impossible but maybe they just skip or censor the episode and people would have a lolfest like beepwonderland but black bars too)

P&S I am fine with but please no High School of the dead, it would have been soooooo much better without the boob and panty shit every damn minute.

Makoto

High School of The Dead (This one is impossible but maybe they just skip or censor the episode and people would have a lolfest like beepwonderland but black bars too)
I'd actually be really curious as to how HSOTD would do ratings-wise. Something tells me it would do pretty good as a result of the buzz it would generate.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
P&S I am fine with but please no High School of the dead, it would have been soooooo much better without the boob and panty shit every damn minute.

I thinking about the thread and not so much about the show. Hell there might be a drinking game for every fanservice shot (Lots of dead people)

All the WTF and LOLs will be hilarious and imagine the comments.

The show was fun even with the fan service.

Thanks for listing four more non-Japanese shows. Well, three since Superfriends was never apart of TOM-era Toonami, which is what everyone thinks of when they say "Toonami."

Now, how many animes were on Toonami? That was my point. I even went out of my way to highlight American shows on Toonami in my post, because the low amount of them (and their action-oriented nature) highlights the massive amount of anime Toonami did offer. Such a massive amount that it definitely defined Toonami, and you're delusional if you think otherwise.
What defined Toonami was airing the best cartoons on the planet, it was in their motto for cripes' sake. Sure they aired alot of anime, but it was the early 2000s and the anime bubble was years from bursting. Of course you go get the best properties you can get your hands on. My point is don't alinate ANY show if it's good and you can get it just because it's not anime. I don't get why you're trying to make this a Japanese animation vs. American animation thing here. I don't see the point in mentioning who hosts Toonami, since that's subjective and kinda irrelevant.
Adding Superjail to the lineup would absolutely detract from the it and would probably be the the biggest misfit in Toonami's lineup of all time. Bad idea all around. It doesn't fit Toonami from any angle. Might as well just add My Little Pony, Milk-chan, and 12 Oz. Mouse to the lineup and be done with it.
Yes, because Superjail would destroy the whole lineup. Just like Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and D.I.C.E and Duel Masters and Zatch Bell and ... oh wait the ratings for most of those weren't great but the block survived? Hmmm...

Real talk, the biggest misfit is having only two legit "Toonami Shows". Bleach is an [adult swim] acquisition. So are FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and GITS: 2nd Gig. That's the ugly little elephant in the room right now.

Jintor

This 'watch with like 50-100 people at the same time' thing is fucking awesome. I never experienced it before, to be honest, and it kind of sucks that I'm only really getting into it as on-demand services become far more popular.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What defined Toonami was airing the best cartoons on the planet, it was in their motto for cripes' sake. Sure they aired alot of anime, but it was the early 2000s and the anime bubble was years from bursting. Of course you go get the best properties you can get your hands on. My point is don't alinate ANY show if it's good and you can get it just because it's not anime. I don't get why you're trying to make this a Japanese animation vs. American animation thing here. I don't see the point in mentioning who hosts Toonami, since that's subjective and kinda irrelevant.

Yes, because Superjail would destroy the whole lineup. Just like Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and D.I.C.E and Duel Masters and Zatch Bell and ... oh wait the ratings for most of those weren't great but the block survived? Hmmm...

Real talk, the biggest misfit is having only two legit "Toonami Shows". Bleach is an [adult swim] acquisition. So are FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and GITS: 2nd Gig. That's the ugly little elephant in the room right now.

I don't think having imported AS shows is an issue at all, and in fact we wouldn't even have Toonami right now if they weren't able to do that and pad the block. None of the "imported" shows break the Toonami mold, either, for what it's worth. Cowboy Bebop is a little borderline, but it's a perfect anime so having it be apart of Toonami only enhances the appeal IMO. Besides, "importing" was never an issue before -- YuYu Hakasho was imported from Adult Swim to Toonami for the latter part of its run.

And I never made it about American vs. Japanese shows. What I'm saying is that this incarnation of Toonami has to be as pure as possible, as lean as possible. And considering the state of anime on American TV, I think Toonami -- which has always been defined by anime, whether you like it or not -- can allow itself to be purely anime at this time. If other shows that suit its action-oriented focus pop up on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim, then by all means, add them to the block. But that isn't the case, and Superjail definitely does not fit that mold.

Also, Bobobo, Duel Masters, and Zatch Bell were all anime -- the latter two and D.I.C.E being shonen/action. You're basically proving my point.

Jintor

Not really. They all fit within the Toonami 'feel' (Bebop especially).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I feel like FMA and GiTS need to take a brake though so we can get some new shows in.

I agree, but if they're getting stronger ratings than the two new shows it's hard to argue. For that reason I feel it might be better to have a rotating set of two/three "old" shows in the mix to complement the two/three "new" shows. Would be a nice balance IMO.

Not really. They all fit within the Toonami 'feel' (Bebop especially).
It's in regards to "shows bought for Toonami". Only DW and C:S were bought for the express purpose of Toonami. Bleach and the other shows have been [adult swim] property for eons, and it comes off as them being lent to Toonami.
And I never made it about American vs. Japanese shows. What I'm saying is that this incarnation of Toonami has to be as pure as possible, as lean as possible. And considering the state of anime on American TV, I think Toonami -- which has always been defined by anime, whether you like it or not -- can allow itself to be purely anime at this time. If other shows that suit its action-oriented focus pop up on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim, then by all means, add them to the block. But that isn't the case, and Superjail definitely does not fit that mold.
except that's what the Toonami creators have denied for years. They wanted to air the best shows they could in "building you a better cartoon show", why you continue to fight this I don't understand.
Also, Bobobo, Duel Masters, and Zatch Bell were all anime -- the latter two and D.I.C.E being shonen/action. You're basically proving my point.
And ignoring mine. Those shows had poor ratings but they didn't kill the block. There's a disconnect in what can get you ratings for other shows and what's "good for the block". Paranoia Agent, Keikkaishi (which looked like it should've succeeded as it had alot of similarities to InuYasha), and Durarara were thought to be good for the block and really didn't do well. Why not get a cheap show that's already airing on [as], is getting a 2nd season and has done well in the ratings/can bridge said ratings to other shows? Shows that do that are good for the block, regardless.

Tamanon

Banned
Actually, I'd be perfectly happy if they started airing Megas XLR during the Toonami block, or even right before it. That show was outstanding.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I am, no shit, in a hotel with no Cartoon Network.
Seriously, if a hotel doesn't have Cartoon Network, why does it exist?

That's odd. Very rare, usually hotels have the main kids networks. Wait, let me guess. They have Disney channel?

On the official site or what?
you ever watch Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law? Remember Peter Potamus?

Potamus.jpg

wowzors

Haha, wow I was just talking to a friend about this today. The show would really be a lot better without the panty shots and boob bounces every other minute.

I know this is kinda off topic right now but I don't think I've ever seen this episode of the Boondocks.

Killer Kung Fu wolf girl with crazy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom