• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big O basically transforms from monster of the week super robot show to mindfuck-show-that-just-happens-to-have-giant-robots as the series goes on.

Sounds great, I need to marathon through the first season before toonami airs this weekend. I think I'll start on that tonight.

I don't think that spoiler is true at all, for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary I suppose.

Either way I don't think we should be hinting at what happens at the end of a series that hasn't even aired yet. It's a little annoying but I'm glad your comment indicates this might not be true.

Thanks for the info man. Very helpful.

I'm still holding out for YuYu Hakusho to come on Toonami. Was one of my favorites back in the day. I'm guessing 112 episodes might be too long though.

That would be a dream come true. Tears would be shed.

That's what I'd expect a 10 year old to say. C'mon son.

Wow dude, seriously? You gave me crap over the spoiler which I fixed and then when I suggest you take your own advice...

The ironic thing is even if I hadn't clicked B-Dubs "spoiler" link I ended up seeing MCXC's quote of the post without the spoiler tags <_<

Seriously only a 10 year old would quote someone saying to cover spoilers but not actually cover the spoilers in his own post :p

Shizzlee

I haven't watched Toonami in months. I feel bad. The schedule has changed drastically. Maybe I'll watch this weekend, maybe.

Wow dude, seriously? You gave me crap over the spoiler which I fixed and then when I suggest you take your own advice...

It's hard to properly detect snark over the internet and I thought you were being a jerk about it. The point is that you shouldn't be discussing what happens at the end of a series that hasn't even aired yet. You're a regular, you should know better. Yeah, I forgot to spoiler tag your own mistake when I quoted but that should never have been a problem in the first place.

The ironic thing is even if I hadn't clicked B-Dubs "spoiler" link I ended up seeing MCXC's quote of the post without the spoiler tags <_<

Seriously only a 10 year old would quote someone saying to cover spoilers but not actually cover the spoilers in his own post :p

Oh, you mean the potential spoiler b-dubs posted in the first place? Yeah, I'm a monster. Blame it on me.

tongue in cheek

Halfway through season 1 of Big O. Honestly, I'm not feeling it too much. I love the detective noir aesthetic and how Roger is basically the anime version of Bruce Wayne but just can't bring myself to actually give a damn about the characters. Also, I'm having a hard time following the plot so far. I'm not sure if this is because I'm uninterested or if the plot simply hasn't kicked into gear yet. So far all I can tell is that
Paradigm City is a place where people mysteriously lose their memories and Roger, "the negotiator", is out to help this android (Dorothy) regain hers. Oh, and there's giant robot battles where Roger uses "Big O", a relic of Paradigm's past, to beat up bad guys.
I'm not a big fan of the character designs or animation either. It just seems so dated but I suppose that's justified considering this was made over a decade ago. Hopefully my outlook changes, it did with IGPX so hey, anything can happen.

Halfway through season 1 of Big O. Honestly, I'm not feeling it too much. I love the detective noir aesthetic and how Roger is basically the anime version of Bruce Wayne but just can't bring myself to actually give a damn about the characters. Also, I'm having a hard time following the plot so far. I'm not sure if this is because I'm uninterested or if the plot simply hasn't kicked into gear yet. So far all I can tell is that
Paradigm City is a place where people mysteriously lose their memories and Roger, "the negotiator", is out to help this android (Dorothy) regain hers. Oh, and there's giant robot battles where Roger uses "Big O", a relic of Paradigm's past, to beat up bad guys.
I'm not a big fan of the character designs or animation either. It just seems so dated but I suppose that's justified considering this was made over a decade ago. Hopefully my outlook changes, it did with IGPX so hey, anything can happen.

Once you accept the series for what it is it'll become a lot more enjoyable

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
i loved big O, i remember years ago, my mom and my step sister just happen to be watching adult swim with me when this came on, they immediately compaed it to batman, which didnt cross my mind at the time, after that i can only ever think batman with robots with this show and i find that a plus

anime fan mcxc pioneer
loves bleach
hates big o

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I "hate" Big O out of that post, I didn't imply that in the slightest. It's a decent show but not something I'm really that into at this point. I already said that I love the detective noir aesthetic and the whole batman vibe but just don't care about the characters that much or the plot.

As for bleach, I've already made several long posts explaining why I like it so much but I'll give you the cliff notes version once again.

- Grew up with it (nostalgia factor)
- Been watching consistently since 2005, therefore I am deeply invested in the story/characters
- Very good cannon arcs at the start but quality has decreased over time due to this being a 300+ episode series
- Bearable filler arcs (except for the substitue captain one, that was pretty bad)
- Amazing music
- Cool art direction
- Lots of action

Troll harder.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I "hate" Big O out of that post, I didn't imply that in the slightest. It's a decent show but not something I'm really that into at this point. I already said that I love the detective noir aesthetic and the whole batman vibe but just don't care about the characters that much or the plot.

As for bleach, I've already made several long posts explaining why I like it so much but I'll give you the cliff notes version once again.

- Been watching consistently since 2005, therefore I am deeply invested in the story/characters
- Very good cannon arcs at the start but quality has decreased over time due to this being a 300+ episode series
- Bearable filler arcs (except for the substitue captain one, that was pretty bad)
- Amazing music
- Cool art direction
- Lots of action

Troll harder.

You can be invested in something for years and still admit the story has fallen apart, and the series hasn't decreased in quality due to it's length but due to Kubo's awful writing.

Jintor

the bleach manga at least has the distinction that one chapter doesn't take a god damn half hour of bullshit to complete

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

The art direction and character designs actually change ever so slightly in season 2. It was really noticeable when they showed episode 1 during last year's April Fools night after having aired season 2 over and over for years. It's subtle, but it does change.

But even still, the art style is primarily based around art deco and noir (much like Batman:TAS) , so in a sense they're "dated," but dated in the sense that they're meant to be callbacks to the 1920s-40s.

the bleach manga at least has the distinction that one chapter doesn't take a god damn half hour of bullshit to complete

It also has the distinction of one chapter not even taking a god damn half minute of bullshit to complete.

foxuzamaki

i've actually been thinking of getting back into bleach, i actually stopped reading around the time aizen got his mullet(and didnt know that it wasent even his final form) and that was a very long time ago since that chapter, since then ive heard things here and there, including the OG kenpachi and that whole ordeal and also heard that it does get better after this arc, i understand the reading since such year, it really is something that you pretty much invest in and have to see til the end, weather you still enjoy the story or not.
and sorry for the random posts, ive been a long time lurker and have read here every saturday night.

789shadow

Banned
Actually the Bleach story is currently better than ever.
iUJF9A6wr7gSH.gif

i've actually been thinking of getting back into bleach, i actually stopped reading around the time aizen got his mullet(and didnt know that it wasent even his final form) and that was a very long time ago since that chapter, since then ive heard things here and there, including the OG kenpachi and that whole ordeal and also heard that it does get better after this arc, i understand the reading since such year, it really is something that you pretty much invest in and have to see til the end, weather you still enjoy the story or not.
and sorry for the random posts, ive been a long time lurker and have read here every saturday night.

Sure check it out it may have problems but it's still entertaining enough. Also don't lurk join us tomorrow night the more the merrier! :D

Actually the Bleach story is currently better than ever.

Oh yeah for sure the blood war has been pretty solid overall, but mcxc only watches the anime and as much as I love troll Aizen I can admit this part is really long and dragged out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gets better after this arc? The canon arc after this one is generally considered to be the worst (and most pointless) part of the Bleach manga even by people who actually like the series.

The current arc which comes after that one is....better? I guess. It's still a clusterfuck, has unfathomably bad pacing that really needs to be seen to be believed, and is absolutely chock full of retcon after retcon, but I guess that's technically an improvement and makes it the best arc since Soul Society. There were a couple of pretty cool chapters with Yamamoto mixed in there (like 6+ months ago now, I think), so that's something, I guess.

Needless to say, for the parts of the most recent arc where important things were actually happening, Ichigo was trapped in a box off camera. That's not even a joke. That's literally what happened. I don't even feel like I need to spoiler mark that.

Raxus

Needless to say, for the parts of the most recent arc where important things were actually happening, Ichigo was trapped in a box off camera. That's not even a joke. That's literally what happened. I don't even feel like I need to spoiler mark that.

Most shonen series has the protagonist off somewhere while shit goes down. The most egregious for me was in Naruto Shippuden
a place is decimated while Naruto trains

I started reading the Bleach manga and like many have said the pacing is atrocious at times (7 week break lol) and it is so bad it's good at this point (
Nazis
). I still have no clue what the hell is going on.

foxuzamaki

Sure check it out it may have problems but it's still entertaining enough. Also don't lurk join us tomorrow night the more the merrier! :D

Oh yeah for sure the blood war has been pretty solid overall, but mcxc only watches the anime and as much as I love troll Aizen I can admit this part is really long and dragged out.
I plan to be very active here tomorrow dont worry, I just got approved yesterday so im still kinda in lurker mode most of the time however.
Gets better after this arc? The canon arc after this one is generally considered to be the worst (and most pointless) part of the Bleach manga even by people who actually like the series.

The current arc which comes after that one is....better? I guess. It's still a clusterfuck, has unfathomably bad pacing that really needs to be seen to be believed, and is absolutely chock full of retcon after retcon, but I guess that's technically an improvement and makes it the best arc since Soul Society. There were a couple of pretty cool chapters with Yamamoto mixed in there (like 6+ months ago now, I think), so that's something, I guess.

I see, I believe that after the timeskip is when everyone said it was doing decently but i cant recall much

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Most shonen series has the protagonist off somewhere while shit goes down. The most egregious for me was in Naruto Shippuden
a place is decimated while Naruto trains

I started reading the Bleach manga and like many have said the pacing is atrocious at times (7 week break lol) and it is so bad it's good at this point (
Nazis
). I still have no clue what the hell is going on.

Oh sure, Luffy finds all kinds of ways to take himself out of commission too, and Naruto isn't even the main character of his own series most of the time, but Bleach has a weird habit (especially in manga form) of going months without the main character even being SEEN let alone involved in the action.

It's funny in Naruto most people complain that the majority of the cast gets forgotten about for naruto, sasuke, and Kakashi. Yet in bleach people complain that the majority of the cast gets too much screen time and rather focus on the main characters. If only naruto and bleach could fusion dance we'd have the perfect series in terms of using its entire cast well
aka one piece

You can be invested in something for years and still admit the story has fallen apart, and the series hasn't decreased in quality due to it's length but due to Kubo's awful writing.

Read what I posted. I said the early arcs were good but that lately the quality has dipped. The storytelling has become substandard because of its length, why do you think the writing is mediocre? Anybody could see that it's mainly because Kubo is running out of ideas after 500+ chapters over 10+ years. Even with that said, the latest arc is actually pretty damn good. It reminds me of "classic" Bleach which is why I started following the series in the first place.

Careful what you wish for.

Based off your terrible trolling of Bleach, Naruto and One Piece every single Saturday, I think I'll be okay.

i've actually been thinking of getting back into bleach, i actually stopped reading around the time aizen got his mullet(and didnt know that it wasent even his final form) and that was a very long time ago since that chapter, since then ive heard things here and there, including
the OG kenpachi
and that whole ordeal and also heard that it does get better after this arc, i understand the reading since such year, it really is something that you pretty much invest in and have to see til the end, weather you still enjoy the story or not.

Stop lurking and post with us! But yeah, I agree, if you've invested in the series up until the Fake Karakura Town arc then you might as well see Bleach through to the end. The arc immediately after
is crap and honestly can be skipped
but the current (and final) one is pretty darn good so far. I'm not going to say anything else about it to prevent spoilers, but you'll like it.

I read the manga, not sure where you're getting this from

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't troll Naruto.
FuqnPhm.gif

And I think my One Piece trolling is AA-tier, and I'm only getting warmed up.

PS- Everyone trolls Bleach.

I don't troll Naruto.
FuqnPhm.gif

And I think my One Piece trolling is AA-tier, and I'm only getting warmed up.

PS- Everyone trolls Bleach.

Your trolling is consistently Sakura-tier. It pretty much boils down to posting spoilers, overusing gifs, occasional animated emoticons, and quoting people to change their posts to something unfunny.

I am not impressed, step it up bro

Your trolling is pretty weak. 2/10

0q76ono.gif

- Amazing music
- Cool art direction
- Lots of action

Troll harder.

I can't stand Bleach's fillers, but everything else is good. When is the Japanese Bleach anime starting again? I heard it was on hold, but for how long?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can't stand Bleach's fillers, but everything else is good. When is the Japanese Bleach anime starting again? I heard it was on hold, but for how long?

Probably not until the manga ends. Even with over a year of buffer, it's still not enough if Pierrort goes through 3-4 chapters per episode.

foxuzamaki

bleach filler is usually bad, however with one exception, i cant remember the name of the arc but it was basically their zanpaktu having physical manifestations of themselves, not only was it decent filler but kubo was involved with the filler and even more it was suppose to be apart of the canon but kubo couldnt fit it into the main story because he sucks at planning, it also has one of my favorite bleach ending themes

Probably not until the manga ends. Even with over a year of buffer, it's still not enough if Pierrort goes through 3-4 chapters per episode.

The anime has been cancelled and I don't expect it to be back for quite a while. Sometimes we forget that it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce a single episode, that's a ton of money for what is essentially an extended advertisement. Bleach is very popular in Japan but was probably too expensive for Studio Pierrort to keep financing. They'll most likely wait until the manga finishes up its run and then relaunch a new Bleach series that won't have to rely on filler to allow Kubo time to play catch up.

bleach filler is usually bad, however with one exception, i cant remember the name of the arc but it was basically their zanpaktu having physical manifestations of themselves, not only was it decent filler but kubo was involved with the filler and even more it was suppose to be apart of the canon but kubo couldnt fit it into the main story because he sucks at planning, it also has one of my favorite bleach ending themes

We can agree to disagree on the filler. I enjoy the arcs, some people don't. The one you are referring to is the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc, I thought it was meh. Certainly not amazing but watchable compared to other series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach filler, especially one off filler episodes, has been by and large better than the non filler stuff since the end of the Bount Arc.

Speaking of the bount arc, I freaking loved that. Certainly the high point of Bleach filler for myself in terms of extended non cannon story telling.

Tamanon

Banned
Bount arc went on too long IMO. Even my favorite filler, the Zanpakuto arc, went on too long. We'll see how the next filler arc is.

Thoughts on last week's episodes

Bleach: *rolls eyes* x1000

Naruto: Gaara might be my new #1 fave character

One Piece: Thank you Based Foxy for picking that lamer Robin. XD Zoro

Soul Eater: That madness shit was better than Inception

IGPX: Well at the race wasn't a disappointment

Eureka 7: Didn't care so I took a shit

TCats: IDGAF

Titan: Fuck you CN.....again

FMA: Once again, Gen. Armstrong>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robin

Bebop: Vicious Don't Care

Inuyasha: That old ass bat demon....what a fucking asshole

Ready for somg Big O and especially ready for SAO

foxuzamaki

i wasent able to stay up for inyuasha last saturday, and FMA:B aswell, mostly because of my job's schedule, not currently working now so hopefully ill be able to stay up, kinda felt bad for the 2 or 3 that stick around through the last 3 or 4 shows cause it was feeling pretty lonely, but i couldnt comment at the time lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not saying tomorrow's One Piece is the best episode ever but it is the best one in this arc and memorable as hell.

The dub version of it is particularly good.

foxuzamaki

i have been pretty much intentionally ignoring OP since it came on toonami, purely on the fact that i skipped this entire arc a few years ago because everyone told me i twas crap and went right into the arc where OP started to pick up alot more, i was always meh on OP before than now i like it, but dont think its the best thing ever like some people think.

i have been pretty much intentionally ignoring OP since it came on toonami, purely on the fact that i skipped this entire arc a few years ago because everyone told me i twas crap and went right into the arc where OP started to pick up alot more, i was always meh on OP before than now i like it, but dont think its the best thing ever like some people think.
How far did you get in the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom