• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm not saying tomorrow's One Piece is the best episode ever but it is the best one in this arc and memorable as hell.

The dub version of it is particularly good.

Indeed, it's
so funky

I also want to address the two filler losses the Straw Hats suffered. In the manga, they only lost once, and that was during the boat race. This was caused by Foxy using his Slow Slow Fruit powers, introducing the readers to his ability.
The filler losses were both complete bullshit, because Toei couldn't think of a decent way for the Straw Hats to lose. Instead we got "eating the ball is against the rules" and "Zoro kicks Hamburg and he lands in the right place".

It's also why I want to see a One Piece Kai years down the road (that and the pacing of later arcs).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
How far did you get in the series?

i started from when it ended on toonami like 10 years ago, which is in the middle of skypeia arc, after finishing that arc i was disappointed because of the BS "everyone actually turned out ok afterall!" ending, skipped all this of what were watching and got into the p-9 arc, from there i watched all the way to the timeskip and then sanji almost dies from bloodlost, then i i kinda had a falling out period with anime and hardly ever watched anime for like a year, i plan to pick up from where i left off someday, i also read the manga a lil bit ahead of where i left off

i started from when it ended on toonami like 10 years ago, which is in the middle of skypeia arc, after finishing that arc i was disappointed because of the BS "everyone actually turned out ok afterall!" ending, skipped all this of what were watching and got into the p-9 arc, from there i watched all the way to the timeskip and then sanji almost dies from bloodlost, then i i kinda had a falling out period with anime and hardly ever watched anime for like a year, i plan to pick up from where i left off someday, i also read the manga a lil bit ahead of where i left off

So you watched all of the cp9 arc and wasn't blown away? :|

tumblr_mbcmdl61wk1rx8lgjo1_500.gif

FEHFEHFEHFEHFEHFEHFEH!

Seda

Said this last week, but I'm going to miss this Saturday night as well.

I'll have to post my two-week catch up sometime next week.

Indeed, it's
so funky

I also want to address the two filler losses the Straw Hats suffered. In the manga, they only lost once, and that was during the boat race. This was caused by Foxy using his Slow Slow Fruit powers, introducing the readers to his ability.
The filler losses were both complete bullshit, because Toei couldn't think of a decent way for the Straw Hats to lose. Instead we got "eating the ball is against the rules" and "Zoro kicks Hamburg and he lands in the right place".

It's also why I want to see a One Piece Kai years down the road (that and the pacing of later arcs).

The way OP ended last week pissed me off so much. I'm still mad about it, this week better redeem the mess that was last episode.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahhhh, I might have sneaked a peek at One Piece's episode that's coming on. :3 Yes, it is actually pretty good. ( And yes,
Funkay.

Big O usin dat jazz now?

Also, IDM + Funimation EVS = Gold.
Big O hasn't aired an OP or an ED on Adult Swim in YEARS.

Granted, neither did Inuyasha, but they got new tapes for Inuyasha. That's not happening with Big O, mainly because there's nobody to get tapes from.

It will, I watched the first half, but stopped at commercial break.
Bahaha the commercial break is right in the middle of the best part. :D

Moaradin

SAO looks good from the preview. How can it get as bad as some people say?

First 14 episodes were fine. You aren't gonna get any genius writing but it's fun and has some good action.

Second half gets a bit weird. Mainly a certain subplot. Other than that the second part has some good stuff too. That certain subplot does put people off though. I'm very curious to see how the English version will handle it.

foxuzamaki

SAO looks good from the preview. How can it get as bad as some people say?
From my experience I thought it was decent, I waS watching it and enjoying it, but I put it on hold when it was still airing in japan, no real reason why, I just stopped and don't know why, it was around episode 13 or 14 was the last episode I saw. Don't know when people consider it ctually going bad though

yami4ct

First 14 episodes were fine. You aren't gonna get any genius writing but it's fun and has some good action.

Second half gets a bit weird. Mainly a certain subplot. Other than that the second part has some good stuff too. That certain subplot does put people off though. I'm very curious to see how the English version will handle it.

I beg to differ. You get just a moments of action in the first arc and most of them are really poorly choreographed and executed. Heck, they even tease a big action sequence at one point just to completely skip over it There's also the matter of how poorly the story builds and just how freaking terribly thought out the end of the first arc is. The writer clearly had no clue what the hell they were doing and wrote the most ridiculous out imaginable. Lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy.

From my experience I thought it was decent, I waS watching it and enjoying it, but I put it on hold when it was still airing in japan, no real reason why, I just stopped and don't know why, it was around episode 13 or 14 was the last episode I saw. Don't know when people consider it ctually going bad though

SAO has maybe 2-5 episodes of tricking you into believing it's a completely different genre of show before revealing that it's really a pile of crap.

yami4ct

I thought all the moments of action were good.

But you're right. It isn't an action-adventure like a lot of people expected.

I feel like we've watched completely different shows. I thought SAO had some of the worst action I've seen in a recently high budget modern anime. Just a bunch of short, awful looking, messy, poorly cut, scenes with a crapload of reused animations.

Bad action is the least of the show's problems, though

foxuzamaki

From what I thought of it from all the episodes I watched it appeared to not be concentrating on the action adventure aspect like you said, but more on the characters and survival, about dealing with if they want to go on this mission or not, or how they deal with being away from home, or
how kirino and asuno or w/e decide that they should just accept living in the game and settling down
in that way i'd say its more like the walking dead where the zombies aren't actually the main point of the show, keep in mind I'm only going by how much I personally saw

yami4ct

From what I thought of it from all the episodes I watched it appeared to not be concentrating on the action adventure aspect like you said, but more on the characters and survival, about dealing with if they want to go on this mission or not, or how they deal with being away from home, or
how kirino and asuno or w/e decide that they should just accept living in the game and settling down
in that way i'd say its more like the walking dead where the zombies aren't actually the main point of the show, keep in mind I'm only going by how much I personally saw

You give the show too much credit. It's really about what girl the MC wants to sleep with. No more depth than that. Even if it had other ideas, the writer isn't skilled enough to pull them off. It feels like it's written by someone with short term memory loss. Can't keep a coherent arc going for more than a few episodes.

foxuzamaki

Wish I was on a pc or laptop so I would be able to type these out faster =/
EDIT:
You give the show too much credit. It's really about what girl the MC wants to sleep with. No more depth than that. Even if it had other ideas, the writer isn't skilled enough to pull them off. It feels like it's written by someone with short term memory loss. Can't keep a coherent arc going for more than a few episodes.
from what I remember kirino didn't really care about any other girl romantically other than asuna or w/e her name was cept for the one that died ofcourse, yea they had the obvious harem trope but that pretty much ended once asuna got the most screentime, and hell he married her. And well implied that they fucked aswell

yami4ct

Wish I was on a pc or laptop so I would be able to type these out faster =/
EDIT:
from what I remember kirino didn't really care about any other girl romantically other than asuna or w/e her name was cept for the one that died ofcourse, yea they had the obvious harem trope but that pretty much ended once asuna got the most screentime, and hell he married her. And well implied that they fucked aswell

All I'll say is , that dynamic is promptly dropped in the second arc.

yami4ct

Why would they do that?

The same reason he ended the first arc the way he did. The light novel writer is a hack who can't see anything other than the story that's immediately in front of him. He puts out so much crap content he can barely put time into any of it. For some reason, Japan just eats it up anyway. There is literally zero thought put into overall character arcs, motivations or plots in SAO that last more than a single story arc.

Jintor

Don't be too harsh on Japan. Remember, Bleach and beginner-tier Naruto are still pulling the highest numbers for Toonami while Soul Eater languishes in the midcard

yami4ct

Don't be too harsh on Japan. Remember, Bleach and beginner-tier Naruto are still pulling the highest numbers for Toonami while Soul Eater languishes in the midcard

Oh no, I definitely agree. Americans have some shit taste in shows sometimes. It's just that, when Japan has bad tastes, it's really bad. Crappy bleach/naruto doesn't even compare to the stuff the SAO guy throws out there.

Well, at least Hunter x Hunter is frequently one of the top rated shows over there. That's a redeeming factor.

yami4ct

Whoever apparently grabbed that show needs to get off their ass and announce it right quick. I want to shove as much money as I can to get every possible blu-ray boxset.

foxuzamaki

Soul Eater was one of the quad millions, lol. It's doing great.
I think the general american audience enjoys any kind of anime aslong as it has a semblance of Action/violence in it, in japan not every show needed to be DBZ to be popular, I just think we havent matured to other anime where you can watch something like soul eater, and then the next show would be something like space brothers or k-on or something.

yami4ct

Apparently Viz media said someone outbid them for it and paid a high price, so I wonder who it is. Hope it's Funimation.

It has to be, right? Who would have the budget to pay more? It certainly isn't NISA or Sentai. Funimation would be a fine fit. I can already envision some of the actor's they'd throw on it. It's going to be tough to fine perfect fits for Gon, Kil and Hisoka as they're Japanese voices and engrained into my head, but they'll be serviceable enough to work.

As for other shows Toonami should grab, I'd love to see them air Madoka. It's insane, well loved, and I'd love to see ToonamiGAF's reaction to it. The art style doesn't give it mass appeal, but it might be worth the 12 week risk to air it. I mean, they already threw up crap like Tenchi and Thundercats for much longer.

foxuzamaki

I always thought panty and stocking was pretty much made to be on adult swim, toonami might make that more of a possibility

Jintor

Yo ABC KIDS is airing Madoka here. ABC KIDS. We're talking the after-primary school audience guys here.

And they are confirmed to know what they're doing.

Aussie kids, yo. Grief seeds for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom